• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that new Kaiju no. 8 chapter is actually fantastic. I'd figured it was gonna be a mental block thing, but the reveal was really well done.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm moving to Japan in a months time, so hopefully my Japanese builds up while there and I can begin natively reading it. The dream.

let me be the first to say you gotta work on it actively, dont buy into the fantasy just being there you'll absorb the language naturally!!! it helps but yeah i still have like 3 boxes of book-off manga i can't ready super well because i wasted like a year there lol

September 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Mieruko-chan (by Izumi Tomoki)

WuSAqQH.jpg

Ghost-seeing Girl's Horrifying Slice of Life | 5 volumes, ongoing work, licensed in English by Yen Press
One day, Miko suddenly started seeing grotesque beings that others couldn't. Her response was not to run, not to face them, but to do everything she could to completely ignore them! Can she keep a straight face and continue her day-to-day life while surrounded by horrifying monsters? (source)

From Aurica:
One thing I really love about Mieruko-chan is how Izumi uses different art styles to depict the ghosts compared to other characters or scenery. Beyond just the designs differing, heavier shading and deeper outlines give them a sense of danger. Sometimes, there's some crosshatching drawn in a way that makes the ghosts feel ethereal, messy, and dreadful. That's very well done. (source)

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WuSAqQH.jpg

Ghost-seeing Girl's Horrifying Slice of Life | 5 volumes, ongoing work, licensed in English by Yen Press

From Aurica:
I love Mieruko-chan. The manga can feel legitimately creepy at times, and while there's a little too much Miko "bullying", it can be really heartfelt at sometimes(and funny as well).

Oct 28, 2017
let me be the first to say you gotta work on it actively, dont buy into the fantasy just being there you'll absorb the language naturally!!! it helps but yeah i still have like 3 boxes of book-off manga i can't ready super well because i wasted like a year there lol

Yeah, I understand the challenges that will be involved. However, I can probably expect to do a bit of desk warming at my job, so I'll be looking to spend that productively instead of staring at walls. We'll see how it goes.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Kaguya - 239

Reminder, the Story will end in October (in universe time).

When the Current student council get disband and after Miyuki graduation

Oct 27, 2017

WuSAqQH.jpg

From Aurica:
I really hope the anime does it justice.

One thing I am curious about is if the tone down the sexualization of the first few chapters. While the situations they happen on aren't that out of place and are logical, compared to the rest of the manga it is pretty much gone. The reason for that is the pixiv origins so hopefully they tone down the first chapters a bit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
PPPPPP 3

This series feels more canceled then Red Hood and Neru, and it's not even ranked. I got whiplash from how fast this chapter flew through things. This felt like it should have been chapters 3-6 or 7.

Oct 25, 2017
Undead Unluck 81

That was fucking metal and I'm all for it.

PPPPPP 3

This series feels more canceled then Red Hood and Neru, and it's not even ranked. I got whiplash from how fast this chapter flew through things. This felt like it should have been chapters 3-6 or 7.

I couldn't even get through it, the art was hurting my eyes. Amazing how he accomplished that in B&W.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen 161

The Culling Game starts and its feeling more like Greed Island with every chapter. Maybe with a splash of Gantz in there. That said Helicopter Top Knot and Jet Pack Hair are incredibly dumb powers hah

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Blue Box isn't really doing it for me anymore. I was hoping for more of a balance between romance/sports, but they aren't doing a good job on the sports side of things like I feel no tension with the matches at all if they're going to skip everything. I do hope SJ finds a sports only manga soon.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Blue Box isn't really doing it for me anymore. I was hoping for more of a balance between romance/sports, but they aren't doing a good job on the sports side of things like I feel no tension with the matches at all if they're going to skip everything. I do hope SJ finds a sports only manga soon.

The sports side of BB is just a framework for the romance and character drama. It was never going to be the focus.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Unnamed Memory
Randomly came upon this, which is based on last year's tankoubon kono light novel ga sugoi winner, (3rd place on 2021)
Good no bullshit fantasy manga

Oct 25, 2017
Magu-chan 61

Cute yet fun chapter, loved seeing how Mag had to control himself to keep the bento safe. Also when Muscar was tricked lol.

BLue Box 21

Could have easily made the matches last more than just a single chapter and shown Haryu getting a page spread.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They must have been pretty desperate to fill that slot in Jump, because PPPPPP was sent out to die

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Undead Unluck 81

Oh my, that chapter was great and that final double-page was amazing.

Dandadan Extra Chapter

Urge to recycle rising! Cute moments galore.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family on break again: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dandadan bonus chapter: yesssssssssssss

The mandrill turning people into cans leaves me with more questions than answers. Why did he know about Ayase and Okarun, anyway? Did the Serpo send him? Or did they just tell him about them?

Oct 25, 2017
Mashle 80
FAyhqblXEAAyYLO

I'm glad we didnt rush to fighting, the fun between exam moments is great. Do wish Finn was around. Dot is always fun.

Witch Watch 31

The silly content we needed, after all that action I dont mind the random requests.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MYF 100b
Ai bonus chapter is just too cute. Main chapter was good too
Neru 13

Compelling fight will be exciting. Really curious to see how these two senior students are
Agreed, this series just keeps on pace which gives me some hope, and it's been fun
P^6 3

I dont know, I loved the chapter.

Even especially with the ending page going to finally face off against one of the brothers.
Same. He works within the memories, feels like they could play with him being an accompanist/dual player

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Yuru Camp 1-47
I still think the anime still largely outstrips the manga due to the colours, painted backgrounds and music + voices, but the manga isn't nearly as stripped back as I initially thought; the essence of Yuru Camp and, indeed, the reason the anime is so good is all entirely here and it's been a nice way to revisit the series in a quicker fashion than watching the show again (though as it turns out we're doing that too). Though the vistas and backgrounds are all captured in black ink and therefore turn out a bit more impressionistic than the vivid background paintings of the show, the feelings it evokes are extremely similar and the overall laid-back vibes of Yuru Camp is definitely all here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Neru feels like it's got some legs, unlike the other newcomers. Which is a shame, because I really liked the little we saw from Red Hood's worldbuilding, but there you have it. The absolute trainwreck that is P6 might save it from one round of cancellation, maybe, but as things stand I'd bet on only Neru going past 30 chapters amongst the latest newcomers.

And yeah holy crap this week's Undead Unluck.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neru feels like it's got some legs, unlike the other newcomers. Which is a shame, because I really liked the little we saw from Red Hood's worldbuilding, but there you have it. The absolute trainwreck that is P6 might save it from one round of cancellation, maybe, but as things stand I'd bet on only Neru going past 30 chapters amongst the latest newcomers.

i think all three end in the next round of cancellation, and if any do survive longer it'll be pppppp just because depending on when that round happens it might still be too new to get canceled

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Neru's very much keeping its course which is a very good sign. If the author was panicking he would have thrown in a hype arc or some menacing rival

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Neru's very much keeping its course which is a very good sign. If the author was panicking he would have thrown in a hype arc or some menacing rival
The one thing that does give me pause is that these two new students are number 1 in some respects (first place in the exam, first place in the... program, I think?), but there's clearly still people ranked higher than them, so no matter how this fight goes there's still room to grow.

So, what I'm saying is, agreed. Red Hood dramatically sped up, P6 is just... dead series walking. Neru feels like it's basically stuck to a consistent pace, which says to me that the author's not worried about getting axed.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The one thing that does give me pause is that these two new students are number 1 in some respects (first place in the exam, first place in the... program, I think?), but there's clearly still people ranked higher than them, so no matter how this fight goes there's still room to grow.

So, what I'm saying is, agreed. Red Hood dramatically sped up, P6 is just... dead series walking. Neru feels like it's basically stuck to a consistent pace, which says to me that the author's not worried about getting axed.
One for is number one in his field(there were 16 I think?) in his class and the other was top newcomer, but he's paired up with a top tier fighter and it's not being presented as Neru expecting himself to win, just that he wants a challenge. That's an important part. That and acting as a safety for his far more skilled sensei

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I agree, it's refreshing to see a seemingly dead series like Neru keep pace with the axe hovering over it. I'm still into it while I fell of red hood. I still expect it to get axed of course, but it's been a nice series.

Oct 25, 2017
Only way I can see Red Hood surviving is if P6 got the axe immediately. I think Neru will be fine tbh. Its feels like a confident story.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Absolutely the right mindset, but being in rural kansai is different from being in rural chuugoku or touhoku, for example. Some rural places aren't far from exciting cities.

True. A few years ago I went to visit some friends that were in the JET program. One was living in a tiny (population sub 1000) village in Yamanashi, but at least Tokyo was somewhat close. The other was on Iki island, which is kinda cool, but there's not much there, and you have to get on a ferry to get back to the mainland.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like inaka in Japan is still like... I mean from where I was it was still only like 1-1.5 hours to a metropolitan area by bus or train w/transfers (one way)... it did cost like $40 return though, which kinda sucked. And you always had to leave by like 7pm or else get back the next day, lol

(Imho jpn experience is not complete without getting stranded in the middle of fucking nowhere because you didn't check your train transfers properly and the next train is at 6am)

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as if Red Hood already got the termination notice, fully expect this game to conclude then we will rush like some of the previous series did.

Though I guess it could do like er Guardian of the Witch and just end at some random destination.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm honestly surprised that Red Hood is still spending so much time on this test arc. You'd think the big bad wolf would have interrupted it by now so it could rush to a hasty conclusion. Maybe next chapter.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that Red Hood is still spending so much time on this test arc. You'd think the big bad wolf would have interrupted it by now so it could rush to a hasty conclusion. Maybe next chapter.

I just don't get this pacing. Half the story so far was stuff happening, then half on training, most of being on a single mission/game! Like, why is it lasting this long? They couldn't have had some monster mission where characters were introduced? Where are the monsters?? It's just frustrating with how this story has been formatted, and went from something really intetesting in Ch 1 to "plz let it end, I'm bored..." :/