Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, ear training is often a course in music programs.

online.berklee.edu

Ear Training 1

Ear Training 1 is all about learning how to accurately recognize, imagine, remember, and notate musical sounds, while gaining the ability to read music notation.

Oh so it is a thing? The way they make it seem in the manga is that every musician should be able to understand notes, which makes Lucky come across as a total idiot for not knowing these basics.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so it is a thing? The way they make it seem in the manga is that every musician should be able to understand notes, which makes Lucky come across as a total idiot for not knowing these basics.
I mean, if you start practicing early, you'd enter music school with a bit of that know how. Going to a prestigious music school, most of the students going there probably were being tutored from an early age. Those tutors, if they knew a music degree was in the conversation for that student, would likely start doing some form of ear training.

But if you didn't spend any time on it (like our protag, banned from even playing the piano), you won't be able to do it at all, even if you've been playing music your whole life. It's very hard to do and do well unless you've been specifically practicing and studying it.

There are a ton of students at universities who were great in their high school bands, but are completely overwhelmed by the expectation of higher level music courses because they just aren't prepared for those expectations by their teachers. Much less someone who plays as a hobby, only.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Neru and Red Hood this week. It's a shame that they're both probably doomed.

PPPPPP is simultaneously too weird and not weird enough, somehow.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean, if you start practicing early, you'd enter music school with a bit of that know how. Going to a prestigious music school, most of the students going there probably were being tutored from an early age. Those tutors, if they knew a music degree was in the conversation for that student, would likely start doing some form of ear training.

But if you didn't spend any time on it (like our protag, banned from even playing the piano), you won't be able to do it at all, even if you've been playing music your whole life. It's very hard to do and do well unless you've been specifically practicing and studying it.

There are a ton of students at universities who were great in their high school bands, but are completely overwhelmed by the expectation of higher level music courses because they just aren't prepared for those expectations by their teachers. Much less someone who plays as a hobby, only.

Ear training and identifying music like that is why I'm not a music major anymore. I can ace all the vocal performance tests, but I could struggled with the ear training part. Course the kind of tests that I was failing at would be where the proctor would play 3 notes at the same time and I've have to match pitch with the middle note which is much harder then what the mc was expected to do in ppp chapter 2.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm still catching up on MHA. I have to say pacing aside part one of Tomura: Origins was pretty confronting in how goddamn bloody it was. That was heavy.

Them making
baby Tomura basically have exactly the same basic facial design as baby Deku, or I guess every other kid of that age in the show so far, really helped sell it

Still think this arc has been adapted stupidly and the entire antagonist cast so far has been made of filler-of-the-week powerups, including the incredibly stupid big boss, but whatever

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dandadan 26

Welp, they made me feel for the crab(?) monster. How is he even still in one piece after that fight...

Good character growth on Aira, love to see it.

Oct 25, 2017
FAaxaiaVgAAKmyb

Jump TOC for the week. I'm thinking Red Hood and Neru are getting U19'd.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
PPPPPP has big dead on arrival vibes too, so that's another series that Jump's gonna have to replace before long. Hopefully their next batch of newbies turns out better

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Jump TOC for the week. I'm thinking Red Hood and Neru are getting U19'd.

At the same time though? Not sure if they might give one a chance or not, but yeah they prob will go around the same time. Just hope the replacements are good (especially for Neru :/)

PPPPPP has big dead on arrival vibes too, so that's another series that Jump's gonna have to replace before long. Hopefully their next batch of newbies turns out better

Yeah, especially when Japan criticizes it, it sounds like another Time Paradox situation with criticism. When people in Japan start to point things out with it, that is never a good thing :x I'm indifferent on this one, but it doesn't feel long.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Kengan Ashura finally getting an offical translation and a really timely release schedule at that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go against the grain and predict that either Neru or Red Hood will manage some sort of recovery and actually outlast PPPPPP.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nah that hasn't saved a lot of series. Connections only save you if you've already had a personal success

Samurai 8 was the one that dragged due to it. People on Twitter seemed to LOVE it, but I just... couldn't get why. It started off ok, and then just... I dunno, there was a tournament, a planet/asteroid/whatever split into 2, and just... I dunno, the story and its pace was everywhere :/

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you and I think Neru is the better series, but Red Hood might have more favor from higher-ups due to the connection to Horikoshi.
or simply by being more popular overall even if both are at the bottom
like this is the only place i ever see people remembering neru existing

not that it matters because both will probably get the boot

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
i see "Jagaaan" manga will ends in 5 chapters, i kinda recall the manga received well when it started, wonder how it's received nowadays if anyone is even reading it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Samurai 8 was the one that dragged due to it. People on Twitter seemed to LOVE it, but I just... couldn't get why. It started off ok, and then just... I dunno, there was a tournament, a planet/asteroid/whatever split into 2, and just... I dunno, the story and its pace was everywhere :/
People loved it because they love Naruto and see no faults with anything Kishimoto writes. If Samurai 8 was by some no name nobody would have cared about it and it'd have been axed by chapter 20.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
i see "Jagaaan" manga will ends in 5 chapters, i kinda recall the manga received well when it started, wonder how it's received nowadays if anyone is even reading it.

Its ending? Huh not a long series then. I only read like 50 chapters but it felt like Gantz in terms of edgy characters put into a crazy dangerous scifi situation.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People loved it because they love Naruto and see no faults with anything Kishimoto writes. If Samurai 8 was by some no name nobody would have cared about it and it'd have been axed by chapter 20.

That was kind of the sense I got. But now the comments I'm reading on Twitter involving Red Hood, are the same type of people who apparently LOVE it. They can have their own opinions, but I just don't understand it :x

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I read a bit of Jagaan and liked it, seems to fall somewhere in the Gatnz-Gleipnir space with a little bit of Chainsaw Man thrown in. I'd buy volumes if it got an English release.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the new version of Restaurant to Another World will be featured on sites that do Kodansha simul-releases... But I want to wait to start it. Looks like the manga started in spring, so I feel like it'll be one of those Kodansha series, where they release ch 1 across everything, and then skip the rest of what would be on Vol 1, and then go to like, ch 6 or whatever and always leave that gap open :/ They did that with Shangri-La Frontier, but fortunately the last Humble Bundle included (just) the first volume, so I could at least read that to get through the gap, and then continue on the sites.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Where my fellow trash sister, brothers and enbys at? The new Boy's Abyss lmao. Poor Gen. Also idk what Ryo thought when drawing Nagi on that cover, her chest looks horrible.

Beautiful! Its finally here, official English Kengan. This is the sequel, but the first series is gonna show up on Comikey on October 12th.

comikey.com

Kengan Omega (Manga) | Read Free Simulpub Chapters

In the underground arena that will never see the light of day, two beasts are facing off. Wishing upon their fists.
I literally started reading kengan cuz of the Lu Tian meme my friend kept posting lmao

Glad to see another Kenganchad here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy's Abyss "Nice" Chapter

Reiji is so powerful, dude's been in the hospital but somehow has the strength to not only follow Gen all the way over there but also has enough strength left to carry a grown woman to who knows where lol

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Machikado Mazoku off again this month due to the author having health issues.

Ah, and it's shamiko's birthday too... well, best of luck to the author first and foremost, of course. excited over s2 in april next year, but the manga is pretty good too!

i'm looking for more food manga again... grill our love is pretty damn good on the food front and slowly getting better on the cute-romance front, especially since it seems to have gotten past the point where a married couple needs to be fucking blushy-blushy about handholding and kissing, because of course it does

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I read a bit of Jagaan and liked it, seems to fall somewhere in the Gatnz-Gleipnir space with a little bit of Chainsaw Man thrown in. I'd buy volumes if it got an English release.

It's got some great body horror among other things but several of the characters are so damn disgusting. The dude whose power is basically rape was a huge turn off especially since he gets such a big focus.

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see another Kenganchad here.

Its such a great series. I love the art, the love put into representing all sorts of martial arts and cultures from around the world, and everything else. I was worried that the English versions weren't gonna keep coming because the manga doesn't have furigana so reading the more complex kanji would make it a nightmare for me, but we're safe.

I'm moving to Japan in a months time, so hopefully my Japanese builds up while there and I can begin natively reading it. The dream.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 - 45

Weeks like these make me long for this series to be weekly or 3-on-1-off, but I know this schedule is better and this is going to be outrageously hype when I'm reading the tankobon or if it gets an anime.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Kaiju No. 8 45

This was really hype. I liked how his transformation issue was a mental block he was doing himself and now just an ability of the opponent. That cut to his fear of everyone dead made my heart drop for a second