Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
It could very well be that they're just adding two new series and only ending Magu-chan. Jump hasn't always had the exact same page count, has it?
What may happen is that a bunch of series are going to go on break in a row, so they can use the second series to get to 20 and go a few weeks before cancelling something else.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Confirmed that it's both authors for the rakugo series.

--

The author of the other series (Children of the Earth) is Hideo Shinkai, whose other series are Light Wing and South Catcher(S).

myanimelist.net

Hideo Shinkai

Looking for information on Hideo Shinkai? On MyAnimeList you can learn more about their role in the anime and manga industry.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya latest
I need to know more about those bodyguards and how Shirogane knows them (I guess his part time jobs?)
They mentioned it was a job from the "Boss' girl" so it was probably a request from Momo, one of the impossible girls who's the daughter of a Yakuza boss. Her and Shirogane were both members of the student council during their first year.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 218-219:
Osamu with the clutch management answer for extra credit. But yeah, the homework arc escalates with the appearance of the dreaded scoring rubric. Though I think having the cliffhanger be on the score reveal again is a bit much. I don't really see Osamu's team doing badly even with their early losing streak due to analyzing the situation and making changes that improved their overall performance.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Oshi no Ko - 70

5QsETcx.png

I love chibi Ruby

Good chapter, I like that we are getting more Ruby; I just really hope it's not just for this arc and not just as an excuse to restart Aqua's quest.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully caught up on The Elusive Samurai. Are there any good pop history books about this time period available in English? I kind of want to read the real history to have a more complete picture of what actually happened.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oshi no Ko 70
Y'know, I'm glad Ruby is finally getting some focus, but uh, it's bugging me that Aqua's being this stupid. The twins would have been like one year old when Himekawa's parents died, Aqua obviously has the wrong guy.

Kinda lame that neglecting to do simple math is the one thing putting Aqua's agenda on hold. I guess that's what's needed so Ruby can get her arc before Aqua figures it out

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oshi no Ko 70
Y'know, I'm glad Ruby is finally getting some focus, but uh, it's bugging me that Aqua's being this stupid. The twins would have been like one year old when Himekawa's parents died, Aqua obviously has the wrong guy.

Kinda lame that neglecting to do simple math is the one thing putting Aqua's agenda on hold. I guess that's what's needed to Ruby can get her arc before Aqua figures it out
Yeah, the math doesn't add up, but Aqua is probably in a state of shock and that why he hasn't figured that out yet. I just hope it's not a case of the author messing up the math on accident.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Show-ha Shoten 5
Lame that this new antagonists' set werent shown for us the readers

Oshi no Ko 70
Lmao yeah i didnt buy Ruby having such "presence" or whatever you wanna call it that this composer is suddenly all fired up and shit

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i've seen some screenshots of sono bisque doll anime screenshots, i prefer how the characters look in the manga imo

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Kaguya - 252

GUSe0Eo.png

Plot Twist, Kaguya is Ruby and Aqua big sis.

From What Quack Doctor said, High Chance that Kaguya isn't Gan'an daughter.

I do not think Gan'an will suddenly make Un'yo become the next Heir.

because that would cause blood war within the family.

January 2022 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (by Kanehito Yamada)

SCUK1Ct.jpg

Elf Adventures to Honor Lost Human Friends | 6 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English by Viz
The adventure is over but life goes on for an elf mage just beginning to learn what living is all about.

Elf mage Frieren and her courageous fellow adventurers have defeated the Demon King and brought peace to the land. With the great struggle over, they all go their separate ways to live a quiet life. But as an elf, Frieren, nearly immortal, will long outlive the rest of her former party. How will she come to terms with the mortality of her friends? How can she find fulfillment in her own life, and can she learn to understand what life means to the humans around her? Frieren begins a new journey to find the answer. (source)

From Jintor:
It's really wonderful. It's not a very spread-heavy work, but the art is immaculate and easily readable. The focus is much more on this mage, who held herself apart from humanity, and the slow change in her philosophy from not caring for people (as from her perspective they would all die within one-hundredth of her lifespan) to how the briefness of their lives means they matter. (source)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems like WSJ is letting Gege, the JJK author, take weekly breaks on a monthly, or there abouts. Between holidays and break weeks we get batches of about 3 to 5 chapters. Possibly not a long term thing but hopefully it continues so Gege doesn't have to work into an early grave like so many mangaka.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The Kajiki Chef: Divine Cuisine 1-2

New series up on Manga Plus today. Solid start, the food stuff is fun and it has some really striking two page spreads that remind me of Dandadan. This is going on my reading list. Looks like it's at chapter 15 in Japan and they put up two chapters today, presumably they're planning to catch up and publish simultaneously at some point.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (by Kanehito Yamada)

SCUK1Ct.jpg

Elf Adventures to Honor Lost Human Friends | 6 volumes, ongoing, licensed in English by Viz

From Jintor:
Can endorse; this is excellent stuff.
Reincarnated as an Aristocrat with an Appraisal Skill. The series is fun except the dude just married a child.
Ye gods and little fishes. Every time.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Iruma. The series just continues to soar higher and higher. It's probably the only series where I look forward to "exam" arcs since they're usually full of creativity and this one is no exception.

Really loving this arc. We finally get the chance to see the teachers show their stuff and a bunch of new and awesome characters as well. Their reasoning is pretty hilarious and petty but it really fits with their society. Nishi's art continues to get better and better too. Excited to see Azz Azz whip out those seduction abilities.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The Kajiki Chef: Divine Cuisine 1-2

New series up on Manga Plus today. Solid start, the food stuff is fun and it has some really striking two page spreads that remind me of Dandadan. This is going on my reading list. Looks like it's at chapter 15 in Japan and they put up two chapters today, presumably they're planning to catch up and publish simultaneously at some point.
Yeah that was fun, the new corporate magical girl series they brought over was fun too

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Now, at a time most perilous, I have returned with three new Webtoons series mini-reviews/recommendations! Rejoice, my dear, devout followers, for I will show you the way.

- Maid for Hire: At school, Andrea is the popular girl everyone admires. But that's all just an image and she has a big secret: she works as a maid in a mansion owned by her nemesis, Alex. A mischievous playboy, Alex has it all — or at least that's what his classmates think. That's just an image, too, and at home Alex hides a big secret: he's unhappy and has few true friends. Will a certain hot-headed maid come to the rescue of this dude in distress?

- Of What Remains: Abandoned at every turn, Kim escapes a violent boyfriend and returns to her rural hometown. But secrets fester from her childhood and worsening politics cast long shadows over the countryside. As tensions boil between families and countries on the edge of cataclysm, what will Kim endure to survive?

- From a Knight to a Lady: Estelle meets her untimely death as a valiant knight of the Kingdom of Ersha. But death is not the end for Estelle -- three years after her demise, she finds herself reincarnated in the body of Lucifela Aydin, the spoiled and cold-hearted daughter of a count in the Empire of Jansgar. To her dismay, she finds that her country fell to Jansgar years ago, and that she is now betrothed to Zedekiah Heint, the son of a duke and her adversary in her previous life. Can Estelle discover the truth behind her death while attempting to navigate her new life as Lucifela?

While I can't say that Maid for Hire was the best new Webtoons series I read this week, that doesn't mean it isn't well worth your time. Far from it. That said, unlike the two other series I'm talking about today, I feel Maid for Hire might have the narrowest breadth of appeal to the general reading audience. For while it very much feels like a modern take on the well-trodden Prince-and-Pauper romance setting, at its core (so far at least), it is a story born of the same heritage as the ones who've come before it. Both for better and for worse. Now, that does not mean that I didn't thoroughly enjoy my time with it so far (far from it!), and Andrea and Alex's chaotic relationship shenanigans, as well as the surrounding cast of characters around them, have all had moments to shine - either in wholesomeness or villainy (and sometimes in what can only be described as pure insanity). If you're a fan of such works as Ouran High School Host Club, Takane to Hana or Raise wa Tanin ga Ii then this very well could one for you!

Talking about Of What Remains is difficult. Mainly because even twenty chapters in, I have almost literally zero ideas what the story is about or where it is going. Yet, I think that is part of the reason why I couldn't stop reading. The sense of unease and mystery coupled with the series' graphic novel -esque art, which is a blend of muted monochrome panels and an exaggerated and stylised sense of realism with which the characters are drawn, just draws you in, each aspect of the webtoon complementing the other to add to the disquiet that drips from it. Honestly, if you're going to read one of the three series I am recommending today, Of What Remains is the one I wholeheartedly recommend you check out.

To me, the most interesting part of From a Knight to a Lady is Estelle herself. In a lot of these reincarnation/reborn in other body stories, the lead character often either stay very much as themselves from their past life or almost instantly adapts to their new identity. This isn't the case for Estelle/Lucifela. This life-altering change isn't handwaved, and she very much struggles and is wrapped in turmoil (at least so far) over this scenario, and the dysphoria that comes with it all. She's constantly ping-ponging between different emotions and emotional states. In short, she's a mess. And the main draw of the series' first twenty or so chapters has been seeing how she attempt to navigate all this with constant struggles and failures. And if that doesn't do it for you, there's always the rather cute and often disorganised budding relationship between Estelle/Lucifela and her fiancee.

Oct 25, 2017
Magu-chan Final Chapter

I'm not crying! You are!
So ends the tale of a cheerful girl and her Eldritch God companion.
I do know that there will be an epilogue in Jump GIGA later on. I imagine Viz will release that when it arrives.

Undead Unluck

"Take out the concept of seasons" *does so* "Ha ha, you doomed the world anyway!"
Apocalypse is as dick. It also looks like Unruin has his own version of Clothy.
Now what?

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family 59
"Sh- She may have a point..."
lmao

And of course Yor is so used to killing people that she just assumed she did it on accident

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen 174

Megumi thought he was gonna be a bad man having to killing enough people to get to 100 points. Yuta aiming for 400. Everyone in this series outside of Yuji (who has his own issues now) is just murdering everyone else.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Magu END
I should have saved this for last this week. I am an absolute fucking mess after that chapter. I am devastated. What a sad, beautiful ending.
crying-36.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Sakamoto Days

A total John Wick move. Awesome.
The amount of violence is kind of reminding me of Hunter x Hunter.

Spy X Family

That was hilarious. Laughing every time I turned the page.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Magu Final Chapter

Well fuck... I didn't expect the ending would hit me this hard. I love Magu, but I can see that there's some decline in the writing of some chapters. It's always best to give it a proper ending while the manga is still great. I'm gonna really miss the manga.

No anime makes it extra sad :(

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Magu-Chan 77

I'm fucking crying. What a great series, I'm really going to miss this.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Jump day time, we have the rare full roster but we are also losing Magu to the notorious axe-murderer (aka Shueisha's editorial team)

Magu - End

God damn man... Add this to the tiny list of manga with good endings, but it still hurts to lose this series. I hope the mangaka's next work has more success and I am definitely look forward to it.

Uron Mirage - 119 (Witch watch - 48)

sxe6t8e.png

This is definitely calling out Demon Slayer and I say that as a fan.
Somehow this is funnier and more interesting than regular Witch Watch... Then again it's a one-off chapter, I have no idea if this style of humour would not get old quick.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle

The Virgin Miyajima vs the Chad Yabuki
Kazuya gets NTR fears, cries in pool with a boner.
Suzu gets NTR fears, goes on the attack.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Shitpost-omaru - 10

g7ldgyG.png

I wasn't lying when I said I like this manga more when it's just a big 'ol shitpost, legitimately rolling at how absurd this is and not necessarily for the intended reasons.

6*P - 19

I kinda like that the manga uses the note names I am more used to (Donato, Reijiro, Mimin, Fanta, So(l)rachika, L(a)ucky, Sikato) for the Otogami siblings, it is weird that they were not named according to the order they were born though.
Also, I'm sorry, is this series heading towards some dark twist?! what was with that ending?

Yozakura - 116

I hope Mister Golden Alloy isn't like Darkshine from one punch man... Other than that, cute chapter, it's nice to see some of the lesser explored interactions.