June 2022 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
June 2022 Community Recommendation
Love's in Sight! [Yankee-kun to Hakujou Girl] (by Uoyama)

hnAGnAl.jpg

Delinquent Boy and Visually Impaired Girl Romantic Comedy | 8 volumes, complete, licensed in English by Viz (release in Q2 2023)
Morio Kurokawa is the toughest-looking tough guy around. Yukiko Akaza is a self-possessed girl with a vision impairment attending a school for the blind. The whole city fears Morio, but Yukiko sees the real him—he's a soft sweetheart who's just searching for his place in the world!

Morio the Black Panther has won over a hundred fights. He's beloved by his goons and feared by the public. Now, he faces his biggest challenge yet when he meets Yukiko...and falls in love at first sight! Can Morio outgrow his delinquent roots and turn over a new leaf for his unexpected love?(source)

From Jintor:
A delinquent falls in love with a blind (okay she has a little vision but she's effectively blind) girl. Hilarity ensues. Very touching, a tad over-sentimental but very earnest, not as funny as you want but makes up for it with its thoughtful approach to its premise. Wish it wasn't a 4koma necessarily, think it would function better without being restricted by that joke format. Surprisingly good treatment of side characters, but got even better when the blind girl's various other blind friends at her specialty school showed up. Not the most amazing art but you get some nice cute faces.(source)

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Akane Banashi #22

Really good chapter this nice set-up and character moments for Akane and Kogumo.

It's time to strap, we're approaching the climax next week. Will there be sparks, fireworks or relief. Been a long while since I've read a Shounen that started this well.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Earthchild is going in the direction I predicted, and hoped, it would take with the Earthchildren preparing to fight against Earth herself. The only question is how the mangaka will handle this new direction.

Superphone continues to pleasently surprise me, I thought the premise was extremely dumb when it begun, but Death Note mind games meet Future Diary is actually really fun.

Sakamoto Days is just pure fun and I can't wait for more of it.

Undead Unluck def deserves some award for that impressive retcon to explain Billie's motivations.

Yozakura had a rare chapter I fully liked, most of the time I am meh on the series.

Dororon is just begging to be axed at this point; it's honestly a little sad how rushed it is.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Earthchild is going in the direction I predicted, and hoped, it would take with the Earthchildren preparing to fight against Earth herself. The only question is how the mangaka will handle this new direction.
How they're gonna handle it is rushing to the final battle, perhaps after a timeskip, and then having the story end. I hate to break this to you, but Earthchild is a dead series walking. Whenever Doron is canceled EC will likely be canceled the week after.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Blue Box 61

I don't see how Hina can compete at this point. Chinatsu is just too powerful, she and Taiki have much better chemistry overall. The best Miura can do is make Chinatsu and Taiki a couple and then have Hina deal with the heartbreak, getting over it and then falling in love again maybe with Glasses-kun?

Last edited:

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
How they're gonna handle it is rushing to the final battle, perhaps after a timeskip, and then having the story end. I hate to break this to you, but Earthchild is a dead series walking. Whenever Doron is canceled EC will likely be canceled the week after.
I mean, you're not wrong, but I am here for the batshit crazy ride.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dandadan 65
So now we're throwing kaiju onto the pile? Ok, sure. Why not.

Wasn't expecting nerd boy to be surprisingly useful. Is he gonna end up getting powers and joining the gang? He's a weirdo, but he sure was awful quick to jump right in and accept that he's helping his superpowered classmates fight an invisible monster. I kinda like his gumption

Undead Unluck 119
The justification for Billy turning heel and back again is honestly great lol

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
is Kaiju no. 8 any good? I read the first 2-3 chapters and it seemed like run of the mill shonen

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
is Kaiju no. 8 any good? I read the first 2-3 chapters and it seemed like run of the mill shonen
It's not particularly innovative apart from the older main character but I think it's executed pretty well. The larger scale battles are especially good. It spends a lot of time on preparation and strategy which can make it painfully slow to read from week to week but it flows a lot better with tankobon/binge reading.

Try Magilumiere Co. Ltd if you want something with a fairly similar premise (older cast, fantasy action stuff as a day job) but for magical girls instead of monsters. It's got more humor, office politics, and manages to make the prep/planning stuff more interesting.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This final arc in Mashle is shaping up really well imo, I love when the author focuses on the side cast and this arc is making sure everyone gets their big final moments and last battles. Hopefully it sticks the landing going forward now that we have our matchups though I fear there might be some jobbing ahead for some so they can be rescued when Mash shows up.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
One Piece -> ch 302

Skypiea was a bit charming but my least favorite so far. The ending of the last arc made me hyped for the future. But now I'm just hyped up to move on to the next story.

Let's go find a carpenter!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm surely it hasn't been that long since I posted a review in here that the last review on record on the off-blog is from Jan 2021 lol

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I guess Earthchild is at least going to try for a another arc after all.

I'm with everyone else in thinking Undead Unluck did well in explaining why Billy acted the way he did and how his power works.

In Witch Watch, I admit I was pretty confused for a while until I realized this was a different school and a different student council president.

In Jujutsu Kaisen, this is the guy Maki killed before that ended up being weirdly popular, right?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Japan Elf-san! v1-5?

Still my favourites of the various isekais mainly because it double-threads a story about adventures in isekai land alongside a fish-out-of-water elf-visiting-modern-day-japan story so you get the fun of slice of life 'wow isn't Japanese food amazing!' + language learning alongside some bullshit about fantasy fighting and magic that sort of kind of works. The main couple are also disgustingly cute and everybody in the story seems to ship them as well which is just grand. Also flicking back and forth between the isekai and real worlds is surprisingly not done that often by anything that isn't Digimon or one of the various Isekai Izakayas for some reason.

I don't think this has 100% official licencing apart from the J-novels which I might end up getting just to support the series... the manga moves kind of fast to be honest but oh well. Hope it gets an anime one day, it's incredibly adorable.

/edit also inflation has finally hit manga prices here... Machikado v5 was goddamn nearly AUD$30!!!!!!

Last edited:

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I Think our Son is Gay Vol3
Best mom is still best mom.
Its heartbreaking seeing the dad in this. You know he's a decent guy deep down who loves his sons but his prejudices and homophobia hurts his son so much without him realising it. If i could have reached into the page and punched him when he starts the "fairy" talk i would have tho.
This manga is so good. Only downside is the crazy half year wait between volumes.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Machikado v5
This series is good... really hope third season hits this cos it's a really fun arc, between Ancestor's snake worries and yet another new magical girl in town. one thing I really love is how well each arc slots into each, with problems caused solving one arc's problems usually paving the way for the next arc's main issues. Also love how much more competent Shamiko is getting over time.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Naoki Urasawa's take on Spy X Family.

6ps49unvqgc91.jpg

This would be a very very different series.
EDIT: Ah damn it it's a fan picture not actually him.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man latest

I'm totally down with not following Denji and following this new girl. Also the dude we saw this chapter. Is he the Tentacle guy from Part 1?

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Manga Plus added Kingdom. I put that and Kaguya-sama inthe survey weeks ago as series I wished were on Manga Plus.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Japan Elf-san! v1-5?

Still my favourites of the various isekais mainly because it double-threads a story about adventures in isekai land alongside a fish-out-of-water elf-visiting-modern-day-japan story so you get the fun of slice of life 'wow isn't Japanese food amazing!' + language learning alongside some bullshit about fantasy fighting and magic that sort of kind of works. The main couple are also disgustingly cute and everybody in the story seems to ship them as well which is just grand. Also flicking back and forth between the isekai and real worlds is surprisingly not done that often by anything that isn't Digimon or one of the various Isekai Izakayas for some reason.

I don't think this has 100% official licencing apart from the J-novels which I might end up getting just to support the series... the manga moves kind of fast to be honest but oh well. Hope it gets an anime one day, it's incredibly adorable.

/edit also inflation has finally hit manga prices here... Machikado v5 was goddamn nearly AUD$30!!!!!!

Yeah this has been one of the very few isekai stories I actually like because of the modern day slice of life mixture.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately the viz subsciption of $2 a month isn't a thing in latin america, which I still don't get why. That service should be available everywhere, probably not through VIZ because it is an US thing, but through Shueisha o something, or you know what, yes Viz, they should get around that.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Unfortunately the viz subsciption of $2 a month isn't a thing in latin america, which I still don't get why. That service should be available everywhere, probably not through VIZ because it is an US thing, but through Shueisha o something, or you know what, yes Viz, they should get around that.
IIRC, there's multiple reasons for it. From what I've heard from latam people I speak to, the latam M+ views are very low compared to the English speaking versions, and also because scan culture (piracy, etc) over there is comparatively higher.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, there's multiple reasons for it. From what I've heard from latam people I speak to, the latam M+ views are very low compared to the English speaking versions, and also because scan culture (piracy, etc) over there is comparatively higher.
No boubt about any of that, but easy and/or cheap access to legal stuff alleviates the piracy problem (though it sure as hell doesn't solve it, of course). The VIZ subscription is both easy and cheap.

Steam, GOG and Netflix and the like are good examples of that.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
No boubt about any of that, but easy and/or cheap access to legal stuff alleviates the piracy problem (though it sure as hell doesn't solve it, of course). The VIZ subscription is both easy and cheap.

Steam, GOG and Netflix and the like are good examples of that.
That would help with the piracy issue, sure. But it's the views I think that they're most concerned with. For example:

That's a screenshot that a friend of mine who lives in Brazil sent me a few days ago, from the Portuguese version on mangaplus.

This is the latest screenshot from the English version of mangaplus:

That's a gigantic difference in views. Granted, that's combining every English speaking territory, but still.

Last edited:

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That would help with the piracy issue, sure. But it's the views I think that they're most concerned with. For example:

That's a screenshot that a friend of mine who lives in Brazil sent me a few days ago, from the Portuguese version on mangaplus.

This is the latest screenshot from the English version of mangaplus:

That's a gigantic difference in views. Granted, that's combining every English speaking territory, but still.
Damn, BUT Portuguese is mainly spoken in two countries. Brazil and Portugal (not exclusively, just that it is probably concentrated in those 2 countries), meanwhile Spanish is talked by the rest of the LatAm region. Spanish numbers are 193.063 as of right now, which of course takes into account Spain, but still.

The thing is that, sure it isn't as big as the English numbers, but it's not nothing.

And lol at the 666 number lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Zatch Bell 2 Ch. 5
The boys are back. They don't have most of their spells (yet) but they haven't lost a step. Can't wait for things to quiet down so we can get some goofing around.

This really felt like a Zatch Bell fight, with the use of strategy to overwhelm a stronger opponent, and I dig that. The fights will really pop off once they get Zagurzemu back, that one had some fun usage

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Zatch Bell 2 Ch. 5
The boys are back. They don't have most of their spells (yet) but they haven't lost a step. Can't wait for things to quiet down so we can get some goofing around.

This really felt like a Zatch Bell fight, with the use of strategy to overwhelm a stronger opponent, and I dig that. The fights will really pop off once they get Zagurzemu back, that one had some fun usage
You aren't kidding, it feels like the writer never even took a break.