Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to learn this power?

With proper training, yes 😀

Ignoring that I fell off a 2nd time, catching up to Sakamoto Days with people solidifying it was indeed worth my time with over 160 chapters to read was a fantastic experience. I'm generally never fussed to start a new series just because it's new, I got enough of a backlog in all sorts of media that I don't mind waiting. Not just to avoid the pain of something getting cancelled, but I like getting to binge through several arcs. Again, I don't always abide by it, but I like my rule.

On that note, I'm well overdue on properly starting Akane Banashi...

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I started Ruri Dragon despite there only being 13 chapters because I figured there had to be some reason it was being kept around despite a year long hiatus

I would've waited longer for Kagurabachi but it looks like it has a pretty secure spot now so I rolled the dice

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Psyche House was better than I thought it would be. Figured it'd be a gag manga, but it seems to be going for something more sincere. Though now that I think about it, it seems like the non-comedy aspects of Witch Watch.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I usually wait a 100 chapters myself
With proper training, yes 😀

Ignoring that I fell off a 2nd time, catching up to Sakamoto Days with people solidifying it was indeed worth my time with over 160 chapters to read was a fantastic experience. I'm generally never fussed to start a new series just because it's new, I got enough of a backlog in all sorts of media that I don't mind waiting. Not just to avoid the pain of something getting cancelled, but I like getting to binge through several arcs. Again, I don't always abide by it, but I like my rule.

On that note, I'm well overdue on properly starting Akane Banashi...
Though this logic would mean someone would still have not started Spy Family in fear of cancellation lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't have it in me to wait if a new series interests me. If I get burned, I get burned. It's paying off with Kagurabachi, at least.

And besides, Jump broke my heart by killing Magu-chan and High School Family waaaay after the 30-40 chapter range. After that, nothing else can hurt me.

Last edited:

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
I mean, I am working under a dumb self-imposed rule of reading all the Jump stuff. As for Jump+, I start all of them but drop if it's just not interesting me in the slightest.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if you start learning japanese every manga is such a struggle it will take you 400,000 years before you finish any one shonen

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This was chapter 148 so maybe 30 chapters back.

Depends. I don't really think it has. It's just a lot of the usual teenage drama and love triangles. Which shouldn't be surprising when it's running in Jump.

Ah okay. Im in the 40s now and Im enjoying it but something feels lacking compared to the first 20 chapters.

like i said early, the main leads for GGG legit have a better chemistry and romantic buildup than in BB. The writing in it is sooo good

Now I really need to check out GGG.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kagurabachi being a meme series that ended up being good is mind boggling, but also kind of amazing.
Once I finally read the first chapters of Kagurabachi, I was shocked at how good it was for being memed on. That is a manga with a confident start. Maybe it's easier to see in hind-sight, but before I even got a few chapters in, it really felt like something special compared to a lot of other new SJ manga.

Granted, a lot of the other manga I really enjoyed gets cancelled pretty quick so what do I know.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
IIRC, the Kagurabachi meme started less because of any concrete thing about the series like the story or art, but just because the scenes they used in the previews before the first chapter came out seemed kinda generic.

People found the combination of a brand new series that no one knew with "nothing personal kid" style images bigging up Sakura to be funny. The jokes started before the series even began.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
IIRC, the Kagurabachi meme started less because of any concrete thing about the series like the story or art, but just because the scenes they used in the previews before the first chapter came out seemed kinda generic.

People found the combination of a brand new series that no one knew with "nothing personal kid" style images bigging up Sakura to be funny. The jokes started before the series even began.
The memes weren't negative/ironic at first I'm pretty sure.

The preview image looked cool and the internet collectively decided to gas it up like it was going to be the next One Piece.
It was kind of a knee-jerk reaction to most new series immediately being called axebait. This one looked slightly promising so everyone clung to it because they were tired of everything constantly being commercial failures.
When Kagurabachi launched, it had been almost three years since the last successful action Weekly Shonen Jump manga (Sakamoto Days). If you add Jump+, then it falls to 2.5 years only (Dandadan). That's a very long time and I truly think the people who memed Kagurabachi did so out of "despair" - they were starving for a new battle shonen.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
like i said early, the main leads for GGG legit have a better chemistry and romantic buildup than in BB. The writing in it is sooo good

The only thing about this series is that I cannot fucking stand the "ice princess" archetype in manga where they treat people like absolute shit "but then have a heart underneath it".

Give me the chill personality of Chinatsu in BB over Nadeshiko in GGG any day of the week.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing about this series is that I cannot fucking stand the "ice princess" archetype in manga where they treat people like absolute shit "but then have a heart underneath it".

Give me the chill personality of Chinatsu in BB over Nadeshiko in GGG any day of the week.
I think Nadeshiko actually subverts that pretty well, because she's really only like that at the very beginning and that's largely because she thinks the MC doesn't really respect golf and is trying to just shortcut his way to being good at it. When he actually starts getting into it, her personality also eases up and she more just becomes serious rather than icy. Also, even at her icy-est, I don't recall her treating anyone like shit

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
RuriDragon 13
I don't think there's a single unlikable character so far, and its nice to see a different dynamic with Ruri and Maeda since everyone else has been friendly or in awe of her.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The memes weren't negative/ironic at first I'm pretty sure.

The preview image looked cool and the internet collectively decided to gas it up like it was going to be the next One Piece.
It was kind of a knee-jerk reaction to most new series immediately being called axebait. This one looked slightly promising so everyone clung to it because they were tired of everything constantly being commercial failures.
When Kagurabachi launched, it had been almost three years since the last successful action Weekly Shonen Jump manga (Sakamoto Days). If you add Jump+, then it falls to 2.5 years only (Dandadan). That's a very long time and I truly think the people who memed Kagurabachi did so out of "despair" - they were starving for a new battle shonen.
Yeah, didn't mean to say the memes were necessarily negative.

On the action series front, I wonder how much the fact that the West collectively doesn't care about Elusive Samurai affects the perception of recent Jump series. Because it has done perfectly fine. Not incredibly, but it could easily blow up in Japan with the coming anime adaptation considering it seems like it will be getting a big push.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
RuriDragon 13
Ruri, how do you forget someone's name within 2 panels? Maeda has a point lol
They're friends now 🙌🏻

Spy x Family 98
This is so swee-
Noooooo :(

Blue Box 148
I am sooooo over the separation part of festival arcs. Kyo's flashback was :(
I see another love triangle is about to start.

Girl Meets Rock 22
Oh shiiiiit, is Chihiro gonna throw hands :0

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, didn't mean to say the memes were necessarily negative.

On the action series front, I wonder how much the fact that the West collectively doesn't care about Elusive Samurai affects the perception of recent Jump series. Because it has done perfectly fine. Not incredibly, but it could easily blow up in Japan with the coming anime adaptation considering it seems like it will be getting a big push.
Elusive Samurai is great but I can understand why it doesn't do huge numbers, it's just hella weird. It's a semi-grounded historical drama, it's a wacky comedy with a Japanese version of Genie from Aladdin, it's a battle manga from time to time. It reminds me of Golden Kamuy in terms of being a dizzying mashup of different genres, but even more eclectic with fewer familiar touchstones than GK, which people at least recognize as a neo-Western.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Elusive Samurai would do better in the west if they advertised more that it's from the author of Assassination Classroom

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if Elusive Samurai would do better in the west if they advertised more that it's from the author of Assassination Classroom
ehhh
I think the subject is just too niche

It's a historical manga about a very specific time period that's completely obscure to 99.9% of Western readers. Some manga like that can work, but they are mainly Seinen, not Shonen. I'm not sure I can name a single shonen manga succesful in the West where the historical aspect is such an important part of the series. At most it'd be a vague setting like Demon Slayer's Taisho era. Maybe Spy x Family I guess, but it's a part of history that's known to basically everyone here, and it's a Western setting, not a Japanese one, so that helps.

Because of series like Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Kingdom, Bride Stories, Innocent, etc, the "historical" genre has become synonymous with seinen. I'm convinced this has hindered TES in Western countries. Art-wise too: I think people have started to link the genre to more realistic art styles (as opposed to the very stylised one in TES).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ehhh
I think the subject is just too niche

It's a historical manga about a very specific time period that's completely obscure to 99.9% of Western readers. Some manga like that can work, but they are mainly Seinen, not Shonen. I'm not sure I can name a single shonen manga succesful in the West where the historical aspect is such an important part of the series. At most it'd be a vague setting like Demon Slayer's Taisho era. Maybe Spy x Family I guess, but it's a part of history that's known to basically everyone here, and it's a Western setting, not a Japanese one, so that helps.

Because of series like Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Kingdom, Bride Stories, Innocent, etc, the "historical" genre has become synonymous with seinen. I'm convinced this has hindered TES in Western countries. Art-wise too: I think people have started to link the genre to more realistic art styles (as opposed to the very stylised one in TES).
I feel like TES often feels very totally dissonant, like Matsui's style just doesn't fit the setting. And while it's very clear that Matsui is very passionate about the subject matter and history, it sometimes feels like he comes on too strong in a very "did you know Shakespeare was like the original rapper" kind of way

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like TES often feels very totally dissonant, like Matsui's style just doesn't fit the setting. And while it's very clear that Matsui is very passionate about the subject matter and history, it sometimes feels like he comes on too strong in a very "did you know Shakespeare was like the original rapper" kind of way
I feel real history also hurts the story at times. Real history isn't always the most narratively satisfying thing.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would classify TES as a more challenging read. It's all over the place tonally but still favors historical accuracy over a satisfying narrative at times, despite having license to do as much alt-history as it wants and an anachronism-loving god shepherding the main cast and breaking the fourth wall. Not a complaint at all, just acknowledging that it's not the most accessible.

Oct 26, 2017
Umi End Roll 12
Well Sora isn't wrong —a director can't just make whatever film they want when they have the production crew and actors livelihood on them. Still don't like him though

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up to Undead Unluck

Not much to say but holy shit. One of the most wildly inventive and audacious shonen manga I've ever read.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The fight that just ended in UU was one of my favorite fights of all time in any manga I've read. I've reread each chapter of it multiple times.