• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I would kill for Obsidian to put Outer Worlds 2 on pause(only pause) and get started on a new Fallout.

However, I do not want them forced to do something they don't want to do. If they prefer to continue on in Outer Worlds then I'll take it.

I'd also kill for Bethesda to get a Fallout 5 out ASAP but not at the expense of Elder Scrolls.

I don't want anyone to even bother with a classic Fallout experience tbh.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
change redfall so it takes place in a wasteland and call it Fallout 4.2

i do wonder if you could do something with wasteland, i've never really heard anyone talk about or play the game but i really dropped off after playing an hour of wasteland 3.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Fallout is too good an IP to be stuck with Bethesda doing one every ten years due to Elder Scrolls. And MS has a metric fuckton of quality studios now. Letting another team do a side-entry is a no brainer

Orduss

Feb 3, 2021
Outside of Xbox, Something Wicked Games has some of the old Fallout: New Vegas team but they had layoffs and they are busy with their own game.
The co founder of Something Wicked Game was the the Design Director of TOW, and also the lead area designer of New Vegas. An easy demonstration of how this way of thinking development can be flawed.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
So you're saying they should have cancelled the games already in development? Even though we all hate when publishers force studios to work on things they don't want to do?
I don't know, all I know is they don't know how to steer the ship or read the room.

They should have been doing this years ago, they spent an extra year on Starfield, imo it was a wasted year. A year lost that could have been working on something else.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Thems fightin' words! We had plenty of Bethesda like fallouts. Gimme a fallout CRPG made by the wasteland 3 team!

Ah I like Wasteland, for some reason I used to love F1&2, but since the switch I really can't replay them. I just expect the Bethesda exploration and immersion now. I would gladly take a new Wasteland 4 though!

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I don't know, all I know is they don't know how to steer the ship or read the room.

They should have been doing this years ago, they spent an extra year on Starfield, imo it was a wasted year. A year lost that could have been working on something else.
Cancelling the games already in development is the only realistic way to do it in a timely fashion to land around the TV show, and we shouldn't be rooting for games to be cancelled just because they aren't Fallout.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I would kill for Obsidian to put Outer Worlds 2 on pause(only pause) and get started on a new Fallout.
Why would they do that when TOW 2 has already been in development for 3-5 years and is probably 1-2 years away from releasing? Hit new IPs don't come around very often and it's a good thing they invested in it immediately post-acquisition.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I can't believe the last mainline fallout game was 9 years ago, we had 3,NV and 4 in less than that timespan last generation :/

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
They should definitely be having a word with some of their other dev teams to see if they'd be interested in getting something out relatively soon, in time for season 3 or 4 of the show or something.

It's kinda crazy how the main Bethesda studio that works on these games only has 450 employees, the wait between games is only going to get longer and longer if they don't expand or let others work on their IP's.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Cancelling the games already in development is the only realistic way to do it in a timely fashion to land around the TV show, and we shouldn't be rooting for games to be cancelled just because they aren't Fallout.
Fallout has a soul, it has charm, it has everything Starfield and Elder Scrolls seem to lack.

Essentially it's commercially marketable beyond the video game crowd.

You can't make a successful tv show out of Starfield and Elder Scrolls.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Fallout has a soul, it has charm, it has everything Starfield and Elder Scrolls seem to lack.

Skyrim is the 7th best selling game of all time, so based on the commercial argument, TES VI being cancelled in favour of Fallout makes no sense.

The TV show isn't the be all and end all. They have to do right by their gaming IPs even if they don't have a TV show or movie.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
It'd never happen but I've always loved the idea of remaking Fallout 1/2 in the style of the new mainline games. I love the series but those are so hard for me to go back to.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

TES has "soul". It's extremely marketable, maybe you missed them constantly rereleasing Skyrim, or how Skyrim has consistently been in the most played games list for over a decade.

Lamine

Nov 28, 2023
They would be out of thier fucking minds if they don't give Obsidian a second shot at this

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian are busy. They already have Avowed and Outer Worlds 2. Also if it was clear enough after Starfield something needs to give on the engine front. There wont be another Fallout game til like Season 4 of the show.

Best option for quick release would be Remakes of FO3 and FONV.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Skyrim is a LOT more successful than Fallout 4 wtf

Hope the hype from the show pass before they ruin Obsidian lol

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I think the solution here is a smaller scale game. I agree with the people looking at Fallout 1 and Fallout 2; they could remake those games with the same top down perspective as Baldur's Gate 3, keep the same story and content, and add new stuff on top of it. I just played FO1 and loved it but I feel like there's a lot of people who can't go back to the cruft.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
A good CRPG doesn't take 6 years. And certainly doesn't need a 200m budget.
Pumping out a CRPG isn't wise. They arent the most "modern" type game people would be expecting. I'd say they want to do this to capture the magic of the TV show, and CRPG's will do the opposite. ( I say this as someone who likes CRPG's).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pumping out a CRPG isn't wise. They arent the most "modern" type game people would be expecting. I'd say they want to do this to capture the magic of the TV show, and CRPG's will do the opposite. ( I say this as someone who likes CRPG's).
Not if it's a CRPG like Baldurs Gate 3, but that would take the same time

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
lol that article is literally nothing.

Even if a studio started tomorrow the game would still be 5 years out. But still, common sense and the quest for clicks doesn't go hand in hand

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Because they released Skyrim 500 times with the remasters and next gen versions.

They released New Vegas how many times? They released Fallout 3 how many times? Once
Skyrim sold as much as it did because it was a great game and a cultural phenomenon, not because it was re-released a bunch. It was re-released a bunch BECAUSE it sold so well.

JayVegas702

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be a long time before "Fallout 5" comes out. If Todd is not ready to do "Fallout 5 and Msoft doesn't give their full support to his next Elder Scrolls game, to focus on getting a Fallout game with another studio 'cause they are caught up in the craze, I bet we see Todd walk away and retire early.

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
Encumbering the studio (huh? huh?) with this demand was such a bad management move. When about to release
the TV show, they should be aware the gaming aspect of the franchise would be largely demanded by the public as well.

I think this will mean more crunch from devs, whatever developing studio will do this project in the long run.
I just hope that they have this in mind and try to mitigate it.

What? The article is literally nothing and I doubt even Activision in their worst incarnation would have forced a studio to crunch for years on end!

The definition of concern the post

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Because they released Skyrim 500 times with the remasters and next gen versions.

They released New Vegas how many times? They released Fallout 3 how many times? Once

Skyrim has also been above Fallout (including the biggest selling one F4) on the most played games for a while now. It's not just bc of them rereleasing it, in fact I would say it's the other way around. They keep rereleasing it bc it's the most popular game they got.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
They should have done a Metroid Prime Remaster style thing for 3.

When you talk about capitalising on the sudden extra interest in your franchise you're usually talking about new fans, and those fans probably wouldn't even know 3 wasn't the newest game... they'd just see new Fallout on the game store shelf and say "Cool, the latest release of that thing I now like!" *buy*

Drop the 3 if need be?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Skyrim has also been above Fallout (including the biggest selling one F4) on the most played games for a while now. It's not just bc of them rereleasing it, in fact I would say it's the other way around. They keep rereleasing it bc it's the most popular game they got.
It's not inconceivable that Skyrim alone has outsold the entire Fallout franchise lol (or at least got close)