NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
And if the TV show was dog shit? People are just saying stuff without actually thinking through all of the stuff that Microsoft would've had to know would happen years ago.

I would say not having a mainline Fallout game ready during the entire current generation is in fact a dumb decision regardless of a TV show. Fallout 4 sold a ton and that released pretty early into the prior generation. If that game is even further out than ES, that's awful planning. I get Fallout 76 exist, but I don't really count that personally.

If MS wants to let them work new IP and take their time I commend them, but if you want to keep driving your IP you should at least make sure some major release exist once a generation.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
People ITT have lost their minds. Microsoft officially acquired Bethesda three years ago. You expected them to immediately take Obsidian or some other studio and have them start developing a new Fallout game that would 1) release in 2024 and 2) do so because they knew a TV should would be highly rated? Lunacy.
Hindsight + armchair CEO.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they manage to put one out this decade. Don't know how many seasons they have planned for the show but it will probably be finished by the time a new game comes out.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I still think we get Starfield 2, but obviously not until after Fallout 5.
I think the fact that both the next ES and FO games are a given, regardless of how long it takes to make them or if Starfield bombed or not (which it didn't), is why the argument against additional teams doesn't hold water. That is a Rockstar-level of luxury and resource availability that other studios do not have.

I dont think anyone expected a day and date Fallout 5. People are frustrated because it's almost been a decade since Fallout 4 and it could well be another decade before Fallout 5. That is effing crazy.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Why would just a remaster take so long?

I mean either way, it's still something good to promote.

The Oblivion remaster is supposedly UE5 running on top of the old engine, with UE5 handling the graphics and the old engine handling everything else. I think that's pretty big scope for a remaster.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Either you have one Bethesda team for elder scrolls, and another one for fallout, or u hand it to obsidian.

But for this decade, just remake FO3.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Sony was cleverer, they had the remakes/remasters of TLoU lined up nicely to cash in.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I'd rather they build a second Bethesda team under Todd and rotate through Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. It would keep a team from being an IP factory, reduce dev time between games, and keep the games under Bethesda

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
What if they just gave it to Larian and told them to make a true Fallout like 1 or 2?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say not having a mainline Fallout game ready during the entire current generation is in fact a dumb decision regardless of a TV show. Fallout 4 sold a ton and that released pretty early into the prior generation. If that game is even further out than ES, that's awful planning. I get Fallout 76 exist, but I don't really count that personally.

If MS wants to let them work new IP and take their time I commend them, but if you want to keep driving your IP you should at least make sure some major release exist once a generation.
This is all still wishful thinking. We all could see that once Starfield was announced, that it would be released and then a new mainline ES, and then a new mainline FO. If the FO TV was dog shit, it could've also help bury the franchise.

You expected Microsoft to have some sort of crystal ball to see the future and step in and force BGS or some other studio to allocate resources into a new game or remake and then time it all up years in advance because they just knew the show would be a hit? Again. The word that comes to mind is lunacy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is all still wishful thinking. We all could see that once Starfield was announced, that it would be released and then a new mainline ES, and then a new mainline FO. If the FO TV was dog shit, it could've also help bury the franchise.

You expected Microsoft to have some sort of crystal ball to see the future and step in and force BGS or some other studio to allocate resources into a new game or remake and then time it all up years in advance because they just knew the show would be a hit? Again. The word that comes to mind is lunacy.

Most of us expected Microsoft to tell Todd Howard he can't control everything and needs to pick his projects and which ones to give up, so his franchises don't die on the vine. You cannot support three different open world RPG franchises that all take 7+ years to make and have the same guy as the roadblock for all three.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't see Obsidian being interested or even able to do a AAA right now. They have long been content with smaller projects.

I recall at one point or another there was interest from Obsidian themselves on doing more New Vegas if given the chance.
Regardless of that, it is more likely that they'd just remaster/remake Fallout 3 or NV if they're wanting something quicker

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of us expected Microsoft to tell Todd Howard he can't control everything and needs to pick his projects and which ones to give up, so his franchises don't die on the vine. You cannot support three different open world RPG franchises that all take 7+ years to make and have the same guy as the roadblock for all three.
I don't know what, if anything, Microsoft agreed to do with Todd Howard. Maybe he has one more ES and one more FO in his contract before he retires.

Microsoft forcing studios to make or divest their IPs isn't something they've done since they started their acquisition spree 7 years ago and there's no reason to think they would've started with BGS.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The second season of Fallout is probably coming out in 2026, with the third season in 2028. It makes complete sense to get a game out sooner than 2035 to capitalize on the exploding popularity of the franchise.

The problem is finding out which studio to give the IP to. I'll make one proposal: Blizzard. Find a ~300 person team in Blizzard, maybe some of the people who were part of the recently cancelled survival game, and have them start work on a new Fallout game. That way we could get a new Fallout game around 2028 in time for the next-gen Xbox launch and season 3 of the Fallout show, with Fallout 5 then arriving in ~2034.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I still think we get Starfield 2, but obviously not until after Fallout 5.
Why do you think we'll get Starfield 2? Don't see any way it could work without completely changing what Starfield actually is. It's supposed to be a forever game anyways. The game borrows a lot of elements from Fallout 76 (which I do hate that they do that) as a part of that. Unless the expansions or patches tease something that could be expanded upon only in a sequel, I don't see it working out that way.

Of course, Todd very well could be retired by that point (still consulting though), so maybe the new leadership wants a sequel.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It definitely obvious Bethesda can't do it and TES and Starfield. Very few franchises can get away with 10-15 year gaps between releases.

Although that ship has probably sailed for the immediate future I would love if inXile did a classic Fallout game as I doubt we'll get much more from Wasteland.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Why do you think we'll get Starfield 2? Don't see any way it could work without completely changing what Starfield actually is. It's supposed to be a forever game anyways. The game borrows a lot of elements from Fallout 76 (which I do hate that they do that) as a part of that. Unless the expansions or patches tease something that could be expanded upon only in a sequel, I don't see it working out that way.

Of course, Todd very well could be retired by that point (still consulting though), so maybe the new leadership wants a sequel.
It could be set hundreds of years in the future, by which time humanity has expanded outside the Settled Systems.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what, if anything, Microsoft agreed to do with Todd Howard. Maybe he has one more ES and one more FO in his contract before he retires.

Microsoft forcing studios to make or divest their IPs isn't something they've done since they started their acquisition spree 7 years ago and there's no reason to think they would've started with BGS.

I never said anything about forcing them to divest their IPs, but they really do need to convince Todd to see reality: which is that he cannot direct every major game in all three of his studio's franchises. These games take too long to make and he's getting old. He needs to pick a project to give up and let someone younger oversee. He can still be involved in an executive producer capacity but ONE GUY cannot be the single "buck stops here" person for three full RPG franchises, all of which take nearly a decade to execute on each entry.

Games aren't made the way they were 18 years ago and it's time for Todd to make his peace with that.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
It's insane to me that there has been seemingly no attempt to remake Fallout 1.

A game that is in desperate need of some QoL improvements and a fresh coat of paint. My favorite game in the series, but boy can playing it be a pain in the ass.

You are likely already aware of these mods but you might try Fallout Et Tu, it brings 1 into 2's engine. Also possibly FO2Tweaks, which provides a suite of optional tweaks or QoL changes such as autodoors, auto cursor change, auto reload, expanded highlighting, a healing revision and others.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, why didn't they think about this before the show? It's still gonna be years from now till the next game.

They probably didn't know how good the show would end up being, and therefore underestimated the impact it would have on the IP itself.

The Halo show was a bust and had zero effect on uplifting the IP. Microsoft is probably kicking themselves with how that show turned out, because if it had actually been on the same level as TLOU and Fallout then the Halo IP would probably also be seeing a major resurgence.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Microsoft is actually infuriating sometimes. They have had the studio that made the most beloved entry in the series and own the franchise and they haven't already been developing this game knowing that the tv show would be a hit?

Truly shocking that this wasn't already being done. This article just pisses me off

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Pretty sure FO5 is going to be his last game before he retires. That's likely why. He's in his 50s already and he's implied he has one more TES and one more FO in him.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
The Oblivion remaster is supposedly UE5 running on top of the old engine, with UE5 handling the graphics and the old engine handling everything else. I think that's pretty big scope for a remaster.
Leak also said it could turn into a remake. Weird thing though is that it said that part would take 6 more months... Oblivion definitely needs some QoL and at least Skyrim-level combat and denocking (I still want horse combat). Fallout 3 would need closer to a remake though because you can't sell people that horrible gunplay and would need to make it at least FO4 level (I'd love the PA system and companion depth and romance too, but no way they do those).
It could be set hundreds of years in the future, by which time humanity has expanded outside the Settled Systems.
It really wouldn't be Nasapunk anymore though and humanity stopped traveling further into the stars because there was no need to. As I said before, I do expect spin-offs. And at least currently, I doubt there are plans for a sequel nor does Todd plan for one.

If Shattered Space introduces us to an element where you can see humanity go further out, then maybe, but I think the story expansion has more to do with House Va'ruun and the Creators than a reason to explore further out.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
ask tim cain if he wants to come out of semi-retirement and let him spin up a studio under xbox and work on an isometric turn-based fallout game, or at least, use him as a contractor - i dont think he wants leadership positions anymore.

not every game in the fallout ip needs to be a big 3D game

tim cain even few months ago was talking about ideas of how he would like to remaster the first game as well. give him money and let him remaster it for modern times. wants to do new UI, of course higher resolution etc, and make some minor gameplay changes that are mostly QoL

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexhF4xqpu8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrNahAr5ho

Well, I'm sure Tim has the phone numbers/ emails to call if he really does want to pitch such a remaster. So there's that, at least.

The question is, what are brandheads at Microsoft/Bethesda willing to greenlight now after Baldur's Gate 3?

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

I expected a mega corporation that shelled out 8 billion dollars and has incredible connections and staffing power to be able to manage what would likely be 2 of their biggest, most potent IP yes. Nothing to do with the show, everything to do with running your videogame business.

Imagine Nintendo just forgetting to release Mario titles for a generation. Fallout and ES are not little B tier projects, they are among the most prolific IP in the industry, far more important than stuff like Halo, Forza, and Gears.

Now that they own Activision, you could argue that they own a few properties that might be more important, but prior to that purchase only Minecraft comes to mind in terms of being more relevant.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said anything about forcing them to divest their IPs, but they really do need to convince Todd to see reality: which is that he cannot direct every major game in all three of his studio's franchises. These games take too long to make and he's getting old. He needs to pick a project to give up and let someone younger oversee. He can still be involved in an executive producer capacity but ONE GUY cannot be the single "buck stops here" person for three full RPG franchises, all of which take nearly a decade to execute on each entry.

Games aren't made the way they were 18 years ago and it's time for Todd to make his peace with that.
I agree. The release cycles are extremely long and as a fan, I hate having to wait so long for a new ES or FO. But long dev cycles are common in 2024.

Microsoft hasn't shown to be a meddler when it comes to studios that they've recently acquired. Them starting that trend with one of the most popular studios and one of the most popular directors would set a bad precedent (and make them look like liars by dictacting who should make what regardless of how passionate they are).

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's nice to want things, though unless they can successfully pry it off Bethesda's / Todd's hand, we'll probably get 10 seasons of Fallout before a new sequel is announced lol

Maybe we can get a remake..

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I said at the time I would have preferred
an actual Creation Engine Fallout project from Obsidian over what we're getting, Dollar Tree Fallout in Space 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. And it can be a spin off sure. New Vegas 2 is fine. It just can't be Fallout 5 that comes from someone that's not Todd Howard. And it can't come before TES6.

The tragedy is that in my mind a Fallout 5 from someone other than Todd stands a real chance of solving a lot of the conceptual and narrative problems of the Todd era of Fallout games. I just don't think Todd cares about worldbuilding or storytelling beyond "COOL GARBAGE SHANTY TOWNS" and "COOL POWER ARMOR" and having someone else lead FO5 could actually drag the series out of the doldrums it's been in for a while now.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Making starfield was the dumbest thing they could've done as their next game. They should have made another fallout or elder scrolls and revisited starfield when the tech or hardware was available to make it without so many loading screens.

I imagine we'll be getting a FO3 remake within the next few years.

Bodhi

Oct 5, 2022
Praying for it to be outsourced. BGS has shown a serious decline between their releases.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
MS probably should have planned ahead a bit with regard to this. Even in the most optimistic development timeline scenario, the current fervor over the show will be long gone before they release something.

Oct 25, 2017
Avowed should ship this year, I'm sure they have a full team working to finish that game but that doesn't mean they couldn't spin up a small pitch/pre-pro team in the meantime. Avowed should be in the polishing stage by now and the high level work should be done.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
People that keep begging for Obsidian to do it, it's not 2012. They aren't the same great studio, TOW was terrible and nothing like New Vegas that they kept touting in the trailers leading up to release.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Y'all can't say this AND lament studios for not trying new IP and other things.

I never lamented for new IP so don't lump me in with whoever said that. Also, new IP can definitely be made, but the way Bethesda works they only make a game a decade and that's crazy for fans of either series. Especially when new said IP allegedly didn't set the world of fire (can't speak on this as I didn't play Starfield).