Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
A Fallout game that started development a year before the show was greenlit still wouldn't have been out yet so I don't get this hindsight is 2020 armchair dev thing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Starfield was a mistake. The studio is too small to handle three tent poles, and if they had any idea they wanted to do a TV series they should have been working on a game to align with that as close as possible.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Hot take: Starfield was a mistake. The studio is too small to handle three tent poles, and if they had any idea they wanted to do a TV series they should have been working on a game to align with that as close as possible.
Starfield started years before the TV show was even conceived let alone greenlit.

Todd said that if they hadn't have done Starfield when they did, they might never have done it, so I respect them wanting to take a big swing with something new. Creative people shouldn't be forced to make the same thing over and over.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah I know. I still think they can't handle three big RPG series like this (before MS even came into the picture). Full disclosure; I'm biased on this topic and I do not like Starfield whatsoever.
You're free to not like Starfield all you want but that doesn't mean as creatives they shouldn't have been allowed to make something different.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It feels like BGS warrants having two full teams. When they have 3 active game franchises.

My understanding is that BGS was until relatively recently pretty small by the standards of their peers. I think the core team working on Skyrim was about 100 people and that was a decent jump up from F3 and Oblivion. I think it's only really post-F4 that they really ramped up with the addition of those satellite studios.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
ask tim cain if he wants to come out of semi-retirement and let him spin up a studio under xbox and work on an isometric turn-based fallout game, or at least, use him as a contractor - i dont think he wants leadership positions anymore.

not every game in the fallout ip needs to be a big 3D game

tim cain even few months ago was talking about ideas of how he would like to remaster the first game as well. give him money and let him remaster it for modern times. wants to do new UI, of course higher resolution etc, and make some minor gameplay changes that are mostly QoL

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexhF4xqpu8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrNahAr5ho

Tim works at Obsidian, right? I'm assuming he's working on TOW2.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Not if it's a CRPG like Baldurs Gate 3, but that would take the same time
Yeah Baldurs Gate level CRPG's would take just as long as a modern Fallout game. That said again BG3 had mass gaming appeal Fallout IP is now beyond that I don't see a CRPG doing well considering likely everyone has seen its a Third person game if you look it up anywhere.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
This is probably something they should have planned out ahead I don't know how strong the buzz is going to be by the time they're able to scrounge up the next Fallout

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I'm not coming at it from a creative angle though. As a business they do not have enough people to support that many tent poles.
Right but Phil (or Bethesda higher ups back then) is not going to force Todd and the team to do TES or Fallout if they passionately want to make Starfield. They're a creator led organisation as much as they are a business.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Right but Phil (or Bethesda higher ups back then) is not going to force Todd and the team to do TES or Fallout if they passionately want to make Starfield. They're a creator led organisation as much as they are a business.
They don't have to force Todd and his team to do it. They need to establish new teams to support the tentpoles while Todd's team follows their passion.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They don't have to force Todd and his team to do it. They need to establish new teams to support the tentpoles while Todd's team follows their passion.
Which is very expensive and very risky, especially in the currently landscape of layoffs and studio closures and cancelled projects. Just look at The Initiative or even Playground's second team. It's not as easy as just "make another team."

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Which is very expensive and very risky, especially in the currently landscape of layoffs and studio closures and cancelled projects. Just look at The Initiative or even Playground's second team. It's not as easy as just "make another team."
How is it risky to have an Elder Scrolls or Fallout team in place? Skyrim sold eighty billion copies.

VoidShaman

Jul 11, 2023
You all have the wrong idea. They should focus on having an Elders Scrolls TV show. That way by the time that premieres, ES 6 is just around the corner.

It is just too late to have a new Fallout game within a year or two if Microsoft is now just thinking about it. The efforts with 4 and 76 will have to do.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
How is it risky to have an Elder Scrolls or Fallout team in place? Skyrim sold eighty billion copies.
What if the team cohesion isn't there or the game flounders in dev hell and takes a decade to come out and then maybe isn't as good as fans expect because it's the first project from a new team? There are many risks no matter surefire the IP is.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread: They don't have to take anything away from Bethesda, though. Fallout 5 can still wait and come out next century becuase Fallout New Vegas has already proven a non numbered entry can still be really successful and memorable.

It doesn't have to be Fallout 5 but yeah, we're definitely going to need another Fallout before that. No question, I'm already starving.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

And that's a problem. They should have (regardless of acquisition) been working on expanding so they could parallel their work streams more.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
What if the team cohesion isn't there or the game flounders in dev hell and takes a decade to come out and then maybe isn't as good as fans expect because it's the first project from a new team? There are many risks no matter surefire the IP is.
What if it takes a decade to come out?! Is that a serious question?

What do you think Bethesda is doing? How do you think Starfield was received? In what world are those things not synonymous with BGS?

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Oh, for sure. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make people wait over 15 years for a game after Fallout 4. But it's still crazy they didn't have a remaster or anything ready for this.

they should have had a team for TES and one for Fallout as soon as 4 released. I'm not a Skyrim fan but it's crazy that the next game in that series won't release until 15-17 years later, kids born in 2011 will be full adults by then! At this rate Fallout 6 won't be out till Todd Howard is in his 80s.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
they should have had a team for TES and one for Fallout as soon as 4 released. I'm not a Skyrim fan but it's crazy that the next game in that series won't release until 15-17 years later, kids born in 2011 will be full adults by then! At this rate Fallout 6 won't be out till Todd Howard is in his 80s.
Y'all can't say this AND lament studios for not trying new IP and other things.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any talent from New Vegas time at Obsidian for it to be such an obvious choice from you guys?

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
It's insane to me that there has been seemingly no attempt to remake Fallout 1.

A game that is in desperate need of some QoL improvements and a fresh coat of paint. My favorite game in the series, but boy can playing it be a pain in the ass.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People ITT have lost their minds. Microsoft officially acquired Bethesda three years ago. You expected them to immediately take Obsidian or some other studio and have them start developing a new Fallout game that would 1) release in 2024 and 2) do so because they knew a TV should would be highly rated? Lunacy.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Release Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 on the next Switch. That should give Microsoft some nice sales.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It's insane to me that there has been seemingly no attempt to remake Fallout 1.

A game that is in desperate need of some QoL improvements and a fresh coat of paint. My favorite game in the series, but boy can playing it be a pain in the ass.
As long as they keep caveman Overseer man that kind of grunts at you as the opening dialogue in the game I'm on board.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
People ITT have lost their minds. Microsoft officially acquired Bethesda three years ago. You expected them to immediately take Obsidian or some other studio and have them start developing a new Fallout game that would 1) release in 2024 and 2) do so because they knew a TV should would be highly rated? Lunacy.

They could have had remakes ready that's for sure.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
All on Bethesda and ZeniMax. They know both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout ips sell tens of millions with every new main game.

They should have created a second team like a decade ago, so that both would be working on Elder Scrolls and Fallout simultaniously. Even if one would go do Starfiled inbetween, Fallout would have been worked on already. Todd as a producer could have overseen both if he wants to be heavily involved in everything.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
It doesn't even need to be Fallout 5. It can be "Fallout: Spin-off Subtitle" and Bethesda can keep ownership of Fallout 5 for when they're ready.

I know Obsidian have already announced Outer Worlds 2 so I'm not sure they are the right pick, unless they're happy to abandon their own IP for a while.
Jez later said Fallout 5 would still be by Bethesda and this would be a spin-off. But ultimately, he doesn't know of the details. I don't find it possible myself for BGS to not do Fallout 5.
Yeah I know. I still think they can't handle three big RPG series like this (before MS even came into the picture). Full disclosure; I'm biased on this topic and I do not like Starfield whatsoever.
I like Starfield more personally (especially since it got rid of the voiced protagonist), but I don't see a Starfield 2 and most other people I have talked to agree as well. The game isn't built with a sequel in mind (the Settled systems is equivalent to already having all of Nirn playable) and even the ways Todd talked about it leads me to believe that. This is just something they finally had the time to do and then they'll get back to TES, Fallout, TES, etc. I still can see spin-offs, I just don't see a 2.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I like Starfield more personally (especially since it got rid of the voiced protagonist), but I don't see a Starfield 2 and most other people I have talked to agree as well. The game isn't built with a sequel in mind (the Settled systems is equivalent to already having all of Nirn playable) and even the ways Todd talked about it leads me to believe that. This is just something they finally had the time to do and then they'll get back to TES, Fallout, TES, etc. I still can see spin-offs, I just don't see a 2.
I still think we get Starfield 2, but obviously not until after Fallout 5.

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
And if the TV show was dog shit? People are just saying stuff without actually thinking through all of the stuff that Microsoft would've had to know would happen years ago.
Lol, it's not even worth the effort to reply in threads like these. Microsoft should have already hired the second Bethesda team before they even acquired them, and already planned a new fallout day and date release to coincide with the show.