Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Even if they start right now it would take until like 2029-30 to release the game. They should've had something in the burner apart from the next-gen update to premiere along the Fallout show.

I'll take that over mid 2030s to be honest.

They should have a Fallout: New York/ SF or something, 20-30 hour smaller but dense open world.

Hell, they should have remastered NV and 3 to make them more accessible!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take that over mid 2030s to be honest.

They should have a Fallout: New York/ SF or something, 20-30 hour smaller but dense open world.

Hell, they should have remastered NV and 3 to make them more accessible!
Oh, for sure. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make people wait over 15 years for a game after Fallout 4. But it's still crazy they didn't have a remaster or anything ready for this.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
It does feel like people have forgotten the old days of tie in games. This show was picked up in 2020 as far as i can tell prior to MS's acquisition and started filming in 2022, the only thing that would have been possible would have been a remake/remaster/next gen update anyways.. BGS would have had to rely on someone else like DoubleFine, Virtuous or another studio of that ilk to do it given Starfield.

There is a reason why games companies have moved away from this. For every TLOU remaster, you get whatever has gone on with the Twisted Metal game.

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
Suits see the popularity explosion of fallout thanks to the tv series, want a new game but won't get it until 5 years later where no one remembers the series anymore.

That's how it goes when your game development balloons instead of going for less bombastic graphics and even if you go for that, people will say it looks like a n64 game and shame it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
It doesn't need to be Obsidian and like it has been mentioned before, there are quite a lot plates spinning there already. The beauty about finding another dev is that sooner or later, you can bump into a dev that is just as passionate about the IP much like how Beth found Obsidian.

Hopefully, the process of doing that is ongoing at MS rn

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
It's insane that Microsoft, one of the largest game publishers in the world, couldn't find some way to get one of their many studios to have a Fallout product ready to capitalize on the show. It could have been something as simple as a remaster and it would still be selling like hotcakes. But they wait to start talking about making something now, and it's not going to be ready for years. Truly mind boggling leadership over in Redmond.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Because if this rumored decision had been made years ago, they would have had years to finish that stuff and start in on fallout…
Maybe it has already been decided. For all we know, it's already been agreed that Obsidian will do Fallout after Avowed and TOW 2. But outside of cancelling those games (which they weren't going to do and shouldn't do), starting the process three years ago vs now wouldn't have got the game out any quicker.

Loose Cannon

Oct 27, 2017
It would very Obsidian for them to be given 18 months to make a Fallout game and they make a divisive cult classic.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
As Microsoft usually seems to react rather than anticipate, I suppose this would be in line with their method. The demand for Fallout should have been obvious considering extremely obvious metrics though, so it's hard to say.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Brotherhood of Steel 2. Lets Fucking Go!

Obsidian have got a lot of shit on at the moment, so I don't know how much they would be able to put into this.

Honestly, let some other studios take a crack. Do some fun spinoffs, like Gears Tactics. That was very good. I said BOS2 but a Tactics 2 could be fun, I think it was a thing at one point (like 30 years ago).

Or do something wild with it. I've been replaying 76 lately and this game (and the other Beth ones) are at their best when they're not bogged down in the established Fallout stuff (BOS, Enclave, Deathclaws etc.) The fucked up Apalachian creatures, the weird lovecraftian cults. Those are really cool.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
This is what I'd like to see, but I agree that it would have been so much better to have either one of the bottom two bullet points much sooner, but alas.
  • Depending on how good it is, advertise Fallout London - 2024
  • Try and get a 3 + NV remaster (basic remake?) bundle ready for S2 of the show - 2026
  • Have someone make a smaller isometric spin-off game that plays like the originals or X-Com (or remake 1?) - 2027/2028
  • Have someone else make a new mainline Fallout (but not 5) and have it be slightly smaller in scope, similar to NV, ready for not long after TES VI is released - 2029/2030
  • Bethesda works on Fallout 5 - 2034/2035 (this is 20 years since Fallout 4 oh god what why how)
The slightly smaller in scope one could easily become Fallout 5 and not necessarily be "smaller in scope" I suppose, that way I'm only approaching 40 and not my mid-40s 🙃

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like they could easily do a port of Fallout 3 and New Vegas to Switch and make a quick buck. Add in some quick remastering for current gen consoles while they are at it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
ask tim cain if he wants to come out of semi-retirement and let him spin up a studio under xbox and work on an isometric turn-based fallout game, or at least, use him as a contractor - i dont think he wants leadership positions anymore.

not every game in the fallout ip needs to be a big 3D game

tim cain even few months ago was talking about ideas of how he would like to remaster the first game as well. give him money and let him remaster it for modern times. wants to do new UI, of course higher resolution etc, and make some minor gameplay changes that are mostly QoL

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexhF4xqpu8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrNahAr5ho

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet but we some tidbits

3rd-party data (PlumResearch) so must be taken with a grain of salt :

View: https://twitter.com/advancedtv/status/1782698470081458586

Fallout-%E2%80%93-Massive-Domestic-hit--1536x877.png

Fallouts-Global-Appeal-.png

Per Amazon :

www.hindustantimes.com

Fallout on Prime breaks records, Amazon announces for second season

Amazon Prime's Fallout Season 2 may drop around summer 2025.

ScreenShare :

View: https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1783460693850894666

I appreciate it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thank goodness Jez is here to tell us Microsoft knows we want another Fallout game.

I haven't been able to sleep with all the worry!

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
No doubt Xbox wishes they had a new Fallout releasing within the next few years, but there's only so many studios capable of making such a game, even in a world where BGS were willing to let it go.

I'd personally be happy with another isometric game like Fallout 1 and 2 in the meantime, but that might not appeal to most fans.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Maybe people will just have to wait and play the many other RPGs releasing over the next few years until Fallout 5 comes out 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 4, 2018

Some additional info I found on Twitter (unofficial, no idea if this is reliable) :

View: https://twitter.com/TVGrimReaper/status/1783956962855768428

View: https://twitter.com/FilmsdeLover/status/1784119259456479653
To give some comparison with 2 other Amazon series released weekly, at the end of their broadcast period over 7 and 5 weeks respectively, "Rings of Power" had totaled 13.5M EVCs and "Citadel" 5M. EVCs. #FalloutOnPrime would be at 11.2M in 12 days.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Microsoft has all the power but I feel like they don't know how to execute at all.

How they didn't have Bethesda or Obsidian working on something!

And yes take these IP's away from Bethesada, especially after Starfield.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft, stop laying people off at your studies and relying on contract hires, and you'll actually have the people to make it

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
They should really just get with the Fallout London guys and make that mod an official release at this point.
That might be a good idea, but it would be a lot more work than it seems at the surface level.

If Microsoft were to make it official, they'd need to go through every inch with a toothcomb for a) lore consistency, and b) to make sure they're happy with the direction of the new lore written for the game. If they weren't happy with something it might require significant rewrites/redesigns of sections.

Also, the degree of QA that would be expected for a formal release than a mod would be dramatic.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah on games that have nothing to do with this TV show.

Someone over at Microsoft had to know this show was not going to be a flop like the Halo show.

I mean Christ you had a Nolan directing it with Amazon money.
So you're saying they should have cancelled the games already in development? Even though we all hate when publishers force studios to work on things they don't want to do?

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
No chance in hell the next fallout game isn't by Bethesda. The way forward is to grow the studio and cut down release times between games. 8 years is a ridiculous cadence. Hopefully Elders scrolls in 2027 and fallout 5 2031.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I mean, no shit. The hype is real right now.
Imagine if they had a release lined up for November, it'd probably be the highest fallout debut of all time.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Ultimately there's probably no such thing as "capitalizing" on something like a TV show or movie in this industry anymore without some serious planning. Back in the day yeah you could time a movie and game release together but the fastest a game is coming out is 2029 in the most ideal of circumstances.

CaptainBearTV

Dec 20, 2023
That Jez Cordon dude still around haha

I'm pretty sure every Fallout fan would prefer it if Bethesda didn't make the next entry.

I really hope they give it to someone else.

And especially keep Todd Howard as far away as possible from the game.
It then has a decent chance to be good,has hopefully good graphics and is optimized at launch without the needs of modders to save them with a 5$ Mod.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
siq194a.png

Shoutout to the Game Pass curation team for this screenshot. This is a very diverse group of games for tons of tastes. I am not interested in even half but the important thing to me is the diversity of quality games at a regular cadence.
I had no intention of buying Jedi Survivor but I'll definitely be adding it now. Didn't realize it hit Game Pass.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a good thing MS has lots of money and can easily hire more devs to get another Bethesda team working on it (mixed with some of the folks who are already experienced with Fallout).

Obsidian is busy, I don't think that's the answer.

Edit: or fill some of the gap with a F3R.