A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
There were hints pointing to the traitor's identity right from the very beginning.

Horikoshi took a very, very long time getting there, but yeah, it all checks out
The biggest hint was that this character really didn't have much of anything going for them, so they could basically slot into any role the story needed.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
[not having read the issue or indeed much MHA for a while] having a traitor at all is the biggest disappointment. the world is bizarre and strange and full of weird-ass powers why do you even need a real traitor when just seeding one and not having one at all could be much more fun

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
How would you folks rate this MHA traitor reveal with the One Piece wano traitor reveal?

Also, does anyone know why Undead Unluck seems to be wrapping up? Were there previous signs that it would end this early?

Oct 25, 2017
[not having read the issue or indeed much MHA for a while] having a traitor at all is the biggest disappointment. the world is bizarre and strange and full of weird-ass powers why do you even need a real traitor when just seeding one and not having one at all could be much more fun
considering UA and many of the schools now are imprengable fortresses, having a student be an insider there from the beginning feels like a logical, deliberate, and sensible story direction, and as a student from the very beginning feels like it was well planned and not an idea he pulled from a hat two weeks ago.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The traitor reveal in MHA to me is a big,"Ok that's cool. Anyways..." moment. Both because of who it seems to be the character set up for the role and at this point in the story I kind of feel like it doesn't matter so much.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How would you folks rate this MHA traitor reveal with the One Piece wano traitor reveal?

Also, does anyone know why Undead Unluck seems to be wrapping up? Were there previous signs that it would end this early?
I don't even know how you compare them both at this stage when we still haven't gotten an explanation for the MHA traitor, their motivation, or even actual confirmation that the chapter end wasn't more Horikoshi end of chapter jebait. I will say in a vacuum, going solely off the impact of the page turn skews massively in favor of OP. Kanjuro's heel turn is drawn perfectly, where as Hagakure's (assuming this sticks) without the context/text doesn't even look like a traitor reveal.

Both were fairly well foreshadowed and guessed by people well before the official reveal fwiw.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
considering UA and many of the schools now are imprengable fortresses, having a student be an insider there from the beginning feels like a logical, deliberate, and sensible story direction, and as a student from the very beginning feels like it was well planned and not an idea he pulled from a hat two weeks ago.

noone's saying he pulled it from a hat, dude has been talking about traitors for years now lol

bass, spoilers

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my issue with Hagakure (potentially) being the traitor was that it's too damn obvious. The kind of obvious that makes you think "No way it's them, it has to be a red herring." It's the same issue with Tobi being Obito. "No way that this goofy guy is that Obito kid we just learned about, he has to be someone else". Only for Kishimoto to go "Yeah it's Obito".
Of course, this was a cliffhanger so we shall see.

Oct 25, 2017
Doron - I came in expecting a Chainsaw rip off. Instead I got the most boring mix and match rip of of Kimetsu no yaiba and JJK

Mashle Continues to be great. See, even though this is kinda generic in a lot of ways, the humor is great and it consistently gets me to laugh.

Sakamoto Days Fuck me this is still so good. Of the new stuff, this easily sits on the top.

Black Clover Boy this is gearing up for an end. I just wished it was better in like every way. I completely forgot who they're even fighting at this point.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Sakamoto Days 49

Are we gonna actually rehabilitate this guy? He feels too far gone, but I mean this is manga

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sticking strictly to just the buildup and the actual reveal itself, it's a night and day difference quite frankly from every aspect, including joining the community in trying to figure it out because we actually had more meaningful info to work with.

Even when it was figured out and a consensus of sorts was formed, a last minute swerve made everyone doubt it, so in the end everyone still got surprised anyhow

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Magu-chan 69
If this were a Witch Watch chapter, like 50% of that double spread would have been obnoxious speech bubbles explaining the gag in gratuitous detail. Same goes for the entire chapter, really

But anyway, Ruru is totally playing with puppies or something up there, and Uneras is just doing a bit for funsies

Undead Unluck 89
Theory time: the reason God is such an asshole is because he's scared shitless of Fuuko. Unluck won't work on someone who's ridiculously unlikable, it's all one big long con to thwart his only weakness.
Sakamoto Days 49

Are we gonna actually rehabilitate this guy? He feels too far gone, but I mean this is manga
Even if Sakamoto manages to set this guy straight (I doubt he'll succeed) Nagumo or one of his buddies are bound to show up and off him no matter what, so it's kind of a moot point

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Magu-chan 69
If this were a Witch Watch chapter, like 50% of that double spread would have been obnoxious speech bubbles explaining the gag in gratuitous detail. Same goes for the entire chapter, really

But anyway, Ruru is totally playing with puppies or something up there, and Uneras is just doing a bit for funsies

Undead Unluck 89
Theory time: the reason God is such an asshole is because he's scared shitless of Fuuko. Unluck won't work on someone who's ridiculously unlikable, it's all one big long con to thwart his only weakness.

Even if Sakamoto manages to set this guy straight (I doubt he'll succeed) Nagumo or one of his buddies are bound to show up and off him no matter what, so it's kind of a moot point

I really want Andy to punch God really hard. When I first saw Spring I didn't think I would like him that much.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked Doron Dororon, it seems like the kind of thing a younger me would have been extremely hyped for. The only thing "wrong" with it is the number of similar shonen action series I've read at this point. Pretty good art, competently done overall. Not terribly optimistic about it sticking around long term, but I wouldn't mind if it did.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My only issue with Doron Dororon is that the broad strokes premise feels very similar to several other series in jump currently. I thought the chapter was fun, but it feels like a wrong time/place to premier and do well. Not only did Ayashimon premier in the same batch, but we still have BC and Mashle who have a similar "strong guy with no powers in a fantasy scenario" and to a lesser extent MHA and MYF who have "normal guy mc who inherits special powers".

DD is trying to differentiate itself with the buddy tandem fighting style, and maybe that can be enough to carve it's own niche. I just fear it'll be the odd series out over the next 4-6 months.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at that new Rent a Girlfriend chapter, the manga has finally reached Domestic Girlfriend levels of trash

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at that new Rent a Girlfriend chapter, the manga has finally reached Domestic Girlfriend levels of trash
Was curious, so I went and read it.

...was Mami pregnant or not? The whole chapter is just a weird read, where the art and dialogue don't seem to match. Art makes it seem like she got pregnant and either had a miscarriage or abortion, but the dialogue mentions nothing of the sort. Just her parents forcibly ending her first relationship. Is the whole thing just a metaphor?

I'm so confused.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Kaguya - 245

Everyone: Ishimiko!!!

Me: Oh Shit! Shinomeyas Family targets everyone in the student council! and Miyuki hides this information from them.

MffTton.png

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Was curious, so I went and read it.

...was Mami pregnant or not? The whole chapter is just a weird read, where the art and dialogue don't seem to match. Art makes it seem like she got pregnant and either had a miscarriage or abortion, but the dialogue mentions nothing of the sort. Just her parents forcibly ending her first relationship. Is the whole thing just a metaphor?

I'm so confused.
Well it's confusing and people are split on this but I think it was a implied abortion since she was holding her stomach early on in the chapter and one of the lines about being forced to make a decision in the end kind of points it more towards that way but there's no way to know for sure until the next few chapters

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Just read Kumeta Kouji's newest series first chapter, Shibuya Near Family, but it hasn't gripped me with the first chapter.

Wouldn't be the first time, not all of Kumeta's series can interest me. The one with the time traveling dude didn't gather enough interest from me to keep reading, but Kakushigoto was good enough for some heartwarming laughs.

November 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
November 2021 Community Recommendation
Fire Punch (by Tatsuki Fujimoto)

C77G1Mg.jpg

Wild Superpowered Quest for Revenge | 8 volumes, completed, licensed in English by Viz; available on the Shonen Jump Subscription
The world was turned by the "Ice Witch" into that of snow, starvation and madness. Freezing people naturally seeked flame. The "blessing" that was bestowed upon Agni, is it a hope or maybe a curse? (source)

From cosmicblizzard:
What a ride this was. I would say this was rushed, but the whole series has been one giant unpredictable mess since early on. Everything about the way the plot progressed was just fascinating. Like, this is the ramblings of a mad man in story form and that's what makes it so amazing. We got a simple revenge plot to a crazy filmmaker to LITERALLY making humanity reset to see the next Star Wars to slice of life to cults to cosmic collapse to some kind of weird romance to everything getting fucked. Like if this was just a solid, more coherent story, it would be far less impressive. (source)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Kengan Omega 137

What an anti climatic end to the purgatory tournament. Honestly feels like the author just wanted to be done with this part of the manga.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kengan Ashura 137

What an anti climatic end to the purgatory tournament. Honestly feels like the author just wanted to be done with this part of the manga.
Yeah, that was incredibly lame. What the hell, there was no tension at all in that final exchange.

Really does feel like the mangaka got bored and gave up with this fight. Didn't even bother with having Ohma use Demonsbane.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was incredibly lame. What the hell, there was no tension at all in that final exchange.

Really does feel like the mangaka got bored and gave up with this fight. Didn't even bother with having Ohma use Demonsbane.

The tournament was a cool idea but the execution was really lacking. Most of three fights being between people with very similar marital arts, dudes breaking out power ups left and right and even side lining Koga really put a damper on this entire part. The best fight was easily Liu vs Nitoku just because it felt like the best kind of fight from KA.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Kengan Omega 137

My hot take is the manga has been bad since chapter 50. You were never gonna surpass the annihilation tournament so it just looked like a cheap copy involving Purgatory. Not to mention seemingly every fight has retconned previous characters/events for no real reason.

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Jagaaaaaan 1-147

I actually read the entirety of this in a few days thinking it was done but surprised it's not. It's somewhat interesting but mostly problematic. It did hit the ultra gore, body horror itch I was kinda craving. The MC, art, fracture designs and pacing are the highlights. Everything else, especially it's treatment of women is abysmal. I mean, jesus christ. 2/10, would not recommend.

edit: fights are pretty ok.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Jagaaaaaan 1-147

I actually read the entirety of this in a few days thinking it was done but surprised it's not. It's somewhat interesting but mostly problematic. It did hit the ultra gore, body horror itch I was kinda craving. The MC, art, fracture designs and pacing are the highlights. Everything else, especially it's treatment of women is abysmal. I mean, jesus christ. 2/10, would not recommend.

Yeah I bailed after the creepy incel dude kept getting more and more focus.

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bailed after the creepy incel dude kept getting more and more focus.
That was pretty early too and I'll let you know, not a woman after that is treated with an ounce of dignity either, except the girl who can heal (of course that's her power) and only because she barely gets any screen time.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Jagaaaaaan 1-147

Thanks. Removing from my plan to read list.

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom 1-75

Obviously an incredibly popular and well regarded series, I had to check it out. I posted as much in the OT but I'm digging this thread =)

I gotta say, I'm not really feeling it so far.

Pros
I love the setting, also big on historic dramas regardless of the medium
Surprisingly good representation. I think the most powerful character at this point are a women and a gay man(? most sure at the moment, at least alluded to)
the breaking down of military tactic is always intriguing

Cons
MC is annoying and a bit of a Gary Stu at the moment, at least on the battlefield. His plot armor is incredibly glaring as well. He doesn't really gel with the other characters atm either
It feels like there's no feel nuance amongst the characters. You're either incredible gifted at something or in the peanut gallery.
Art work is mid as are fight sequences

I mean, it's fine but it's all just kinda mid. I know I've barely scratched the surface and I will continue, just my thoughts at the moment and as you can see most of my hang ups are with Shin.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
11949659.jpg
49402699._SX318_.jpg

Silver Spoon Vols. 1-4

Should have known any manga by the author of Full Metal Alchemist would be great but I've really enjoyed what I've read of this so far. The protagonist is a nice spin on the 'student only good for studying knows learns about life' style of character and the manga itself feels really honest about the realities of both industrial and smaller scale farming and what it takes to grow foods and livestock.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 216-217
Well I'm glad Osamu is working with the team to devise a better system to call shots. Also I'm expecting Suwa to call up one of Mizukami's teammates and ask about the skirmishes which will let the proverbial cat out of the bag.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
World Trigger 216-217

Katori looks like a completely different character here. I expected her to lash out at Osamu for not surviving in any of the rounds, but not only was she calm about getting obliterated but was open to suggestions and even seem to actually take Osamu's communication suggestion pretty damn well (in her own way).

I'm 100% sure she'll be in the expedition mission after this test. Especially once Suwa squad starts gaining ground quickly on the rankings (you know it's gonna happen).

Mizukami soloing and hiding info from his team is going backfire on him so bad.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
A French publisher just announced : Wandance, Hozuki no Reitetsu, Jahy-sama, Scum's Wish, Hanebado, Super cub, Hakozume along with 13 other series and 4 one-shots.
Crazy, especially when you consider they are only 1 year old.