phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Might just read the last few chapters of Red Hood because of perceivable axe salt.

Blue Box

These cliffhangers are getting out of hand.

Also zzzzz, give me Hina NTR chapters.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
When Undead Unluck gets an anime, I really hope they retcon the first arc so it matches the rest of the series. Half of it feels basically non-canon at this point, anyway.

Have the bad guys in chapter 1 be from Under, rework the circumstances leading to Andy and Fuuko joining the Union, take out all the gross shit. It would make it 100X easier to recommend if they did that.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Fire Force 289

We went from Okubo ranting about fanservice through 4th wall breaking moments to shonen kino in this chapter, what a rollercoaster this climax has been

October 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
October 2021 Community Recommendation
BL Metamorphosis (by Kaori Tsurutani)

zfQaE6a.jpg

Cross-generational Bonding Over BL | 5 volumes, completed, licensed in English by Seven Seas
Ichinoi, a 75-year-old woman living a peaceful life, unwittingly buys a Boy's Love manga one day…and is fascinated by what she finds inside. When she returns to the bookstore to buy the next volume, the high school girl working there–Urara, a seasoned BL fan–notices a budding fangirl when she sees one. When Urara offers to help Ichinoi explore this whole new world of fiction, the two dive into BL fandom together, and form an unlikely friendship along the way.(source)

From citrusred:
I don't have much to say about this other than I thought it was really great. 70-ish year old lady stumbles upon some boys love books and looking for more strikes up a friendship with the teenage part time worker at her local bookstore that guides her into the genre.(source)

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, I have made changes to the rules in the OP, namely calling attention to the fact that there are rules in big red text and revising the spoiler section to reflect the decision we've come to regarding simulpub series. If anyone has any issues, let me know and we can talk through what would better represent our stance as a community.

I appreciate everyone's patience and contributions on the spoiler discussion. It's not an easy thing to navigate, and I hope this is a resolution that people can live with.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
New Yuji Kaku series? Let's go! I'm exhausted seeing new Jump manga getting axed left and right so i hope this one is successful.

EDIT: Also hoping the best for Golem Hearts mangaka. Their previous work got axed in the same magazine so seeing it happen again would hurt a lot.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like there wasn't enough attention paid to the guy in The Elusive Samurai chapter who became a lord of carnage after becoming a 30-year-old virgin last issue

Nov 2, 2017

This was the first time I decided to try reading a newly starting series, mostly because it was by Horikoshi's assistant, so it's a shame that it turned out like this.

I guess it would be easier to just wait until a series has proven itself and won't get axed, but by that point, I won't be able to read all the chapters on Mangaplus.

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise that Red Hood is Dead Hood.
Did not expect a dying series to get so much fan art though. People really really liked Grimm..'s design.
At the very least, Kawaguchi can always think of something new and try again.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone reading Solo Leveling?

Clearly the story didn't reinvent the wheel, being a classic kid/YA power fantasy mixed with videogame ideas, but I am enjoying the art and the complete lack of fanservice a lot.
The story is also going on at a good pace, keeping things very entertaining.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was the first time I decided to try reading a newly starting series, mostly because it was by Horikoshi's assistant, so it's a shame that it turned out like this

That's why I usually don't bother to get into new series unless they have almost 100 chapters or so

Been breaking that rule as of late though admittedly, and the only series it's truly panned out for is Spy X Family and Dandadan. (and Elusive Samurai to a lesser extent)

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
If there are 3 new series does that mean a third series is getting cancelled?

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just want to say love you all, my first post in this version of the manga thread.

I created the first "Shounen/Manga general" thread on the other site before Reset and after 20+ OTs, I'm proud of how it's evolved.

Long live my favorite medium!

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Clearly the story didn't reinvent the wheel, being a classic kid/YA power fantasy mixed with videogame ideas, but I am enjoying the art and the complete lack of fanservice a lot.
It's not very original and it's quite the wish fulfillment stuff. But it still manages to work, don't know why. Art also helps immensely, there are some goddamn impressive pages.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
However, if posting words and images on a chapter or work that has not been officially released in English as of the post date, please use spoiler tags in your post.
This always felt like a common courtesy to me even years back. When I read something in Japanese that hasn't been translated, I spoiler tag it if there's anything spoilery I want to say. Obviously if I'm just like "This manga is pretty cool, and here's some art of it with no spoilers," then I'm not worried about it. Talking about a big series that tons of people read in English early, like One Piece, seems like a situation where you should definitely tag spoilers.

It takes a couple seconds, so people should just spoiler tag stuff that uh spoils stuff before most people can read it, especially if it's breaking street date in Japan and the only possible way you're reading it is illegally unless you work in the editorial department at Shueisha, which I'm pretty certain none of you do!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If there are 3 new series does that mean a third series is getting cancelled?
Not necessarily, and in this case we know it's now happening due to manga+ ids. Jump has had a slot open that they've been filling with the golden cup entries, I believe the 3rd new series will take that "slot" in the magazine.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This was the first time I decided to try reading a newly starting series, mostly because it was by Horikoshi's assistant, so it's a shame that it turned out like this.

I guess it would be easier to just wait until a series has proven itself and won't get axed, but by that point, I won't be able to read all the chapters on Mangaplus.
Jump + views have been a perfect indicator for that for a while now. Only exceptions being gag manga (which are seemingly not held by the same standards). So it seems possible to know if a manga will stick around or not before any chapter is removed from m+.

Red Hood and Neru are the new examples of that. We'll see later if PPPPPP is too (since its views are also too low for it to survive).

Last edited:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Read the web novel and some of the manhwa. I enjoyed the first arcs but it really fell off in the second half. Lost sight of what made it good. Not to mention the racism later on (heard the manhwa fixed this but I haven't read that far).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read the web novel and some of the manhwa. I enjoyed the first arcs but it really fell off in the second half. Lost sight of what made it good. Not to mention the racism later on (heard the manhwa fixed this but I haven't read that far).
Having read just last week the 173 or so chapters available online (and just bought the two volumes published for my 12yr old, he loves it)... Nothing really jumped to me as racist, so maybe it was changed?
I know making an early vilain Japanese was seen as controversial, but (in the version I read) there was nothing specificly tied to being Japanese ergo bad there. It was just one bad guy with a devious plan.

I think what works so well here is the quality of the art (for monsters/ characters, the environments and vehicles can be quite slap/ dash. But of course this is a weekly color webcomic) and the color useage.
The sense of movement and the cg effects are also very strong.
Also, it's rather refreshing that the hero's actions make sense in context, and that the whole videogamification reason (levels, skills, menu, etc) given recently also makes a lot of sense - again in context.

Big points from me for not sexualizing the women too, though the few portrayed are very much in the background so far.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Having read just last week the 173 or so chapters available online (and just bought the two volumes published for my 12yr old, he loves it)... Nothing really jumped to me as racist, so maybe it was changed?
I know making an early vilain Japanese was seen as controversial, but (in the version I read) there was nothing specificly tied to being Japanese ergo bad there. It was just one bad guy with a devious plan.

I think what works so well here is the quality of the art (for monsters/ characters, the environments and vehicles can be quite slap/ dash. But of course this is a weekly color webcomic) and the color useage.
The sense of movement and the cg effects are also very strong.
Also, it's rather refreshing that the hero's actions make sense in context, and that the whole videogamification reason (levels, skills, menu, etc) given recently also makes a lot of sense - again in context.

Big points from me for not sexualizing the women too, though the few portrayed are very much in the background so far.
I was referring to a later arc. I think it's covered by 173, but I don't remember.
I was referring to the Chimera Ant arc. Basically the MC lets Japan get destroyed for no good reason. The prime minister asks the MC for help when the ants attack and the MC refuses help, instead choosing to let all of Japan get destroyed and overrun. Afterwards, he defeats the ants.

I think the ending kinds of falls flat because the twists and reveals are telegraphed way too easily. I figured out the biggest reveal early on. I really enjoyed the first arc (the dungeon where he gains his powers) because it was so unique but the later dungeons go away from that and turn to generic dungeons. Then it becomes a JRPG and you have to defeat god (not literally). The ending was what mainly soured me on the whole thing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Kengan Omega 133

I actually like Rolon but holy fuck this dude is good at everything and better than everyone else at what he does. I do like how he isn't using any stupid nigh magical techniques and is just incredibly good at basic martial arts.