• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think people are reading too much into Magu Chan's rating. Candy Flurry is actually DOA, Magu just had a color page and 1 year anniversary. Everyone should relax until both Red Hood and Neru start getting rated. Without a buffer of crap a lot of manga will look "worse" then they are.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, it's a shame, but not entirely unexpected. Should've made an effort to try and hit the ground running, get into a game with the core cast and a bunch of subs or something. Feels like what you've got to do these days.

Tho Slam Dunk spent the first 40-odd chapters being, functionally, a delinquent comedy series that sort of had some basketball on the side. But if you're going to center your series around the game, you should probably get to a game in the first 10 or so chapters.

Oct 25, 2017

No surprise there. Writing was on the wall when they introduced the last three members and they were blank slates.
Maybe the next sports manga will be a hit.
Or the one after that.
Or the one after that.
Jump really does have trouble having a successful sports series these days.

I think people are reading too much into Magu Chan's rating. Candy Flurry is actually DOA, Magu just had a color page and 1 year anniversary. Everyone should relax until both Red Hood and Neru start getting rated. Without a buffer of crap a lot of manga will look "worse" then they are.

Magu also has a popularity poll running now, and merch on the way (plushies). So I hope this is just an off-week.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what Neru is about? All I've seen so far is the title and the cover of the next issue.

Choujin X 2

I still barely have any idea what's going on but releasing a super long chapter after a break of more than a month is a cool schedule. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Do we know what Neru is about? All I've seen so far is the title and the cover of the next issue
Assuming it's the same thing as this short series published last year, it's about a school teaching different martial arts
www.shonenjump.com

『武芸道行 NERU』|集英社『週刊少年ジャンプ』公式サイト

『武芸道行 NERU』|近代以降、スポーツと化した「武道」以前の、純粋なる武の技巧「武術」――より過激でより高度な強さを求める武術家たちが集う学校「天門武芸十八般高校」の門戸を叩くは、我流で秘伝書を読み解いた少年・五老海練磨、通称・ネル。今開かれる、ネルの武の道は―!?

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, it's a shame, but not entirely unexpected. Should've made an effort to try and hit the ground running, get into a game with the core cast and a bunch of subs or something. Feels like what you've got to do these days.

Tho Slam Dunk spent the first 40-odd chapters being, functionally, a delinquent comedy series that sort of had some basketball on the side. But if you're going to center your series around the game, you should probably get to a game in the first 10 or so chapters.
I dont think that's the solution. Just starting to think baseball is just cursed in weekly shonen jump. Writers have pitched it so many different ways and nothings hit that its the only conclusion that can be made.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Rookies was quite popular but that's about it

Mr Fullswing ran for 5 years as well.

Magu also has a popularity poll running now, and merch on the way (plushies). So I hope this is just an off-week.

Something has to be the bottom, and in all practicality Magu being last or second to last compared to Candy Flurry means nothing for either of them. Candy Flurry is clearly the next series on the chopping block, along with potentially either or both of the new manga if they flounder out the gate (too early too know). I think Magu is only in trouble if both Neru and Red Hood end up being hits, and even then they may see how this new marketing push impacts that first.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
ended in 2003 and 2006, wow, almost 20 years for one 18 for the other.

When will our current jump baseball breakout hit drought end.

2006 is also when Ace of Diamond started and that series (with it's sequel) is still running to this day. Probably hard to launch a new baseball manga when you have to compete not only with the rest of the Jump but also an incredibly popular series in your same sport.

Oct 25, 2017
Since 2000, only five sports series in Jump have been successful. Mr. Fullswing, Eyeshield 21, Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyu, and Hinomaru Sumo (if we're counting sumo as a sport).
Considering how much manga comes and goes through Jump, that isn't a lot. Even Kuroko's Basketball's author struggled with his follow-up (though I put that more on golf being really boring).

Oct 25, 2017
2006 is also when Ace of Diamond started and that series (with it's sequel) is still running to this day. Probably hard to launch a new baseball manga when you have to compete not only with the rest of the Jump but also an incredibly popular series in your same sport.
Major 2nd is doing well (sure its a sequel), and shonen jump plus Bōkyaku Battery (got an anime ova from mappa) and is still going since 2018. Think its just jump magazine is a bad place for baseball lol.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Choujin X 2

Not very fond of this chapter both as a chapter on its own and what it perhaps signifies for what kind of series this is trying to be The villain in the first one already conveyed presence of quirky comedic element. This chapter went with these and upped them x 100. For now, the vibes I'm getting is some Dorehodoro or what I imagine CSM to be. Problem is I don't think the humour is funny so far and in the long term I'm not sure if this is the kind of stuff I jive with well. We'll see ...

Despite the chapter being bit long for the contents, I think the copious amounts of space helped the author in making some really evocative pages and fun paneling, a real treat there though I'll say the art is bit uneven and unpolished in places.

Was confused a lot of time because the content is so absurd and some of the action still messy. I also get why he wanted to into the second protagonist of the story but there's weird tonal imbalance between these two chapters and the momentum from the previous one feels lost.

Matchmaking of the Amagami Household 10

This is so bad even I might not be able to hold out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not officially a cancellation but Akiko Higashimura had a series stopped after just 2 chapters.
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Himo Zairu Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Online Criticism

Series by Princess Jellyfish author centers on men who are financially dependent on women

Wait... the backlash on this one is that a woman was writing about "men who are dependent on the women they date" and the perception was she was looking down on men? How in the world is that a criticism when the opposite happens all the time? Or did I miss something else controversial?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Box is the most successful sports manga in jump in the last 5 years and it isnt a sports manga

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I guess we'll prob get this on Manga+ or something; but I'm hoping it's not like that Valentines OVA where Zenitsu is the protag :/

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Kaguya 229

Oh god, so many returning gags with a twist just for Miko... and someone else has turned her into a monster.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 229:
He's not just a Sugar Daddy, he's also a Downtown Independent Livestreaming Father

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I had fun reading stuff in Azuki so far. It's not the best reader, but it had more up to date manga that you can read from the beginning compared to other services so far. At least that's from what I see so far, I fell off other services so quick. I'll stick with this for a while.

June 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
June 2021 Recommendation
Kageki Shojo!! The Curtain Rises (by Kumiko Saiki)

TMtwRKl.jpg

All-Girls Theater Troupe Drama | 2 volumes, complete work, licensed in English by Seven Seas as 1 omnibus release
Like the Takarazuka Revue, the young women who go to the arts academy Kouka Kageki High School play all the parts of musical theater, be they female or male. Narada Ai is a jaded former idol performing female roles—her roommate, playing male roles, is bright-eyed country girl Watanabe Sarasa. From the school to the stage to the rest of their lives, there is no challenge these young women can't face with their passion for performance.(source)

From PaulExcellent:
I was going to do a post when I read a bit of this last night saying it was much more lighthearted than I was expecting from a series inspired by the Takarazuka Revue about young girls striving towards stardom in the entertainment industry and I'm glad I didn't because it turns out it was just easing you in before it hits you with the full whack of troubles you expect from the subject matter.

Its very good through and I'm looking forward the sequel series coming out in July.

CW: Sexual Assault, pedophilia and bulimia(source)

Content warning: This work contains depictions of sexual assault, pedophilia, and bulimia.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I've had Kageki Shojo on my list for a while now but I've been finding it hard to motivate myself to actually read much manga lately.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've had Kageki Shojo on my list for a while now but I've been finding it hard to motivate myself to actually read much manga lately.

Not counting the weekly/monthly stuff that gets feed into my phone thanks to various official apps, I go through phases of binging a lot of manga to not reading much for months. I think it's pretty normal to find yourself more or less invested in reading hours of a backlog series.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i nearly endlessly flip between game consumption, book consumption, manga consumption, and anime consumption in bursts basically, with usually one primary and one secondary and a few others as potboilers. so aint nothing wrong with that tbh

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get the binge reading manga online though, finding doing it online is a bit more tiring than say going through like my multiple volumes of manga. After 50 chapters online, I just get exhausted. Still I dont try to fall that far behind in say Ace of Diamond act 2 (thank you for the two month hiatus), and the last I did, Talentless Nana, the anime stopped within like 30 chapters of current or so.

Reading fanfics and light novels is just fine for some reason.

Games are easy as long as I'm not doing a series sequentially, still burnt out from the entire Assassins Creed II saga in one month + 100%ing them.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I dont get the binge reading manga online though, finding doing it online is a bit more tiring than say going through like my multiple volumes of manga. After 50 chapters online, I just get exhausted. Still I dont try to fall that far behind in say Ace of Diamond act 2 (thank you for the two month hiatus), and the last I did, Talentless Nana, the anime stopped within like 30 chapters of current or so.

Reading fanfics and light novels is just fine for some reason.

Games are easy as long as I'm not doing a series sequentially, still burnt out from the entire Assassins Creed II saga in one month + 100%ing them.
My attempt of 100%-ing Assassin's Creed Black Flag made me hate the idea of 100%-ing games lol
I just stop doing stuff just for the sake of fully completing a game.

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Flag volume 8 END
E5OISGAXEAQY5Fl

Lead up to the end was worth it (even if a bit over the top, manga loves having characters impulsively dash to wherever to solve whatever circumstance their in, cheesy but fun). Liked the series for having characters talk things out even if they meandered a bit in their conversations, lost their trains of thoughts or struggled to put their thoughts into words, and didn't mine taking positions and calling each other out. Also I liked the part of characters really struggling with what to do in their life and their future, felt a bit more authentic then a few other series. Still love the same sex relationships and crushes being identified so early in the series and not putting it off to the middle or something. Really made the journey feel solid from start to finish.

Wish there were a few chapters in between the final chapter and the epilogue as I would have liked to see the circumstances that spanned that 7 year period as well as Tai-chans journey and well for that matter Toma's and how their decision to date and get together would have gone. Also would have been nice to see them both dating and what not, not even in that extra chapter did we see them together smiling at one another or something lol.

Anyway with Tai-chan looking at you as such all the time how couldn't you fall for him
E5OInetXoAE3G2h

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
i nearly endlessly flip between game consumption, book consumption, manga consumption, and anime consumption in bursts basically, with usually one primary and one secondary and a few others as potboilers. so aint nothing wrong with that tbh

I do the same thing and never feel burnt out by any single medium (although replace 'book' with 'movies/tv shows' for me).

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 209-210:
Examiners examination Examiners exanimating Examinees.

What task do the Examinees have today?

Why exanimating that Exam itself of course!

I can't wait for the Volume Extras where Ashihara Examines all the groups in these chapters.

Oct 25, 2017
Seraph of the End 104

I like how the cut to see into their hearts leads just to a shared past and as well awakens feelings in Demon Mika. Hope they get unearthed soon.

BLue Exorcist 132
E5OVAj3WEAQth0S

Perhaps in March 2022, we'll all have to reread the start of this arc just to remind ourself of the war.

Still best Rin.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pls stop eating things that aren't meant to go in stomachs.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Trying not to read those Blue Flag impressions until I can read the chapters that just went up tonight 🙈