diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Crashing into this thread to say World Trigger is that good shit. It could be nothing but the training battles and I would eat it up like the animal I am. I'm rereading it now and I'm on chapter 150 and I don't think I've ever been this invested in seeing the MCs improve.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, people said the same about undead unluck half a year ago and it's still going strong.
This is where the ToC is a good indicator.

UU did drop low around the same time, but it was never dead last or even bottom three (three fourth-to-last places in a row).

But the more important point: it got a color page at chapter 16. Something we already know won't be the case for Kowloons next week, unfortunately.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually say that time skip is a slightly positive sign for 9 Dragons, if only because if we were in death spiral territory, I'd assume you'd get the full skip to the big rival match rather than going to the start of school and presumably moving into proper matches.

Mind you still don't think it's likely to survive long with those rankings, sadly, but I'm now assuming it has a good shot at sitting out the next round of cancellations/endings.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There series could also just end with a "... the story continues" ending. 9 Dragons is a dead series walking, it sells poorly and it rates poorly.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
With it being Pride Month this month (and myself being about as straight as a slalom course), I decided I'd spend this month reading as many new series with positive LGBTQA+ representation as I could. Luckily for me, Webtoon just so happens to have a Pride Month 2021 section detailing a bunch of their series that have LGBTQA+ characters and themes. That doesn't mean all the series I will be talking about this month will be LGBTQA+ series, just that I expect the majority will be.

- Dark Mortal: Being called a freak isn't so bad when you have a spunky little black blob as a companion. An explosion leaves Nam Kang orphaned, scarred, and nearly blind, but he toughs out the daily bullying with the help of his imaginary blob friend, Inky. Until one day, Nam wakes from a bad beating to find his scars healed and his vision restored. At a new school, Nam is finally given the chance to live life as a normal kid. But it isn't just his scars that have disappeared. His best friend Inky is gone, too.

- The Wolfman of Wulvershire: Lady Carina would rather be single forever than become any man's baby-factory. So when she shows up at the Duke of Wulvershire's annual Spring Fling wine and dine, it's a shock to everyone — but not more shocking than the ensuing series of murders! Will Carina make it out alive, and, more importantly, will she find herself a hunky husband?

- Lovebot: In 2049, highly advanced and affectionate robots are becoming humanity's primary companions in place of real relationships. Xada makes his living by modifying these bots to fit their owners specific wants and needs. However, his newest job leaves the LoveBot strangely sentient, and asking for his help... Sparks will fly as Xada relearns human connection and helps uncover the truths behind the LoveBots' existence.

- Boyfriends.: A comic about getting yourself a boyfriend... or multiple boyfriends! Four college students begin a polyamorous relationship and navigate the adventure that is their dating life!

The fact that Dark Mortal was the series I enjoyed the least this week should not be held against it (if anything it should be used to highlight just how amazing the three other series I've read alongside it have been). It's also the one series this week I read that was not from Webtoon's Pride Month 2021 selection. With only 10 chapters currently available, there isn't much to this series yet, but the building blocks that we have been gifted so far have done more than enough to grab my attention. There are just so many mysteries to so many of the characters. Just who, or what is Inky? How did Inky heal Nam? Who is the other, more menacing blob in Nam's subconscious? Who or what really caused the fire that killed Nam's parents? And just what does Nam's grandpa seem to know about all of what's going on? For the moment, I will be keeping a close eye on this drama series and seeing how its mystery and action elements play out, and whether either will become a major player in the story as it progresses.

What can I say about The Wolfman of Wulvershire without spoiling the story's mystery? I can talk about Cary and Ren, and how amazing they are not only together but individually as well. Cary is breathtaking in almost every aspect, from her realistic, curvey and buxom body, with all its imperfections serving to just make her that much more eye-catching, to her agency and forwardness with how she flirts with Ren. Cary is a woman who fucks. Cary is not shy about people knowing she fucks. And she is certainly not averse to letting Ren know exactly just how submerged her mind is in the gutter (and just how submerged between her legs she'd like him to be). Yet, at the same time, she is definitely not a one-note character, and the story does an excellent job of showing, displaying, and explaining the reasons behind each and every facet of her existence. In a world full of demure and modest female leads whose sole goal seems to be attaining a relationship and forming a family, Cary is a breath of fresh air. And I love her for it. Ren, himself, is no slouch either, but his character is much less overt in their brilliance, with the subtle and more mysterious aspects of his character (not to mention how positive and supportive of Cary he is) are where he truly shines. If you want to watch two gorgeous people try to find time to fuck while being constantly interrupted by a murder mystery, this is the story for you!

Lovebot is written and created by the duo of Chase Keels & Miranda Mundt. Now, if you have read any of my previous recommendations spreads one of those names will possibly be familiar to you, as Miranda Mundt is the author/artist for another one of my newfound favourite series, Muted, a series I praised for its breadth of positive LGBTQA+ representation (and its lesbian, witch, plant-demon throuple), and Lovebot does not disappoint in that regard either. With its main character being a disabled gay trans man of colour (of what I assume to be African-American and Indian/Asian descent). The way it handled and explored Xada's childhood and adolescence brought tears to my eyes with the beauty, love and warmth of it all. But the real meat of the story is the blossoming friendship (and attraction) between Xada and Lacey, the LoveBot he accidentally grants sentience to when doing an illegal modification to Lacey for his original piece-of-shit owner. Well, that, and the mystery of just how and why Lacey was able to develop sentience in the first place, and what does Astrobleme Enterprises have to do with it all. If you enjoyed Muted and wanted more of its themes and messages but in a Sci-fi setting, Lovebot is what you're looking for, and I highly suggest you give it chance to wow you as it did with me.

What's the gayest thing I've ever read? Until very recently, I would have been hard-pressed to give an exact answer to this question. Now, however? It is without a doubt Boyfriends.. This work is dripping in gay, from the colour palette to the characters and their interactions. Everything just oozes gayness at an intensity that I had not experienced until now. And what an amazing cast it is. From the flirtatious and husbandly trans character Goth; to the gay panic disaster that is Prep; to the overly horny virgin, Nerd, and the confident himbo that is Jock, they are all just perfect rainbows of joy and happiness. I did not stop grinning from the moment I started reading this series to the moment I finished reading the last of its 32 currently available chapters. It was just that gay, good, and happy!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What's the gayest thing I've ever read? Until very recently, I would have been hard-pressed to give an exact answer to this question. Now, however? It is without a doubt Boyfriends.. This work is dripping in gay, from the colour palette to the characters and their interactions. Everything just oozes gayness at an intensity that I had not experienced until now. And what an amazing cast it is. From the flirtatious and husbandly trans character Goth; to the gay panic disaster that is Prep; to the overly horny virgin, Nerd, and the confident himbo that is Jock, they are all just perfect rainbows of joy and happiness. I did not stop grinning from the moment I started reading this series to the moment I finished reading the last of its 32 currently available chapters. It was just that gay, good, and happy!
didnt even realize they had a series. I see their art on twitter.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
- The Wolfman of Wulvershire: Lady Carina would rather be single forever than become any man's baby-factory. So when she shows up at the Duke of Wulvershire's annual Spring Fling wine and dine, it's a shock to everyone — but not more shocking than the ensuing series of murders! Will Carina make it out alive, and, more importantly, will she find herself a hunky husband?
What can I say about The Wolfman of Wulvershire without spoiling the story's mystery? I can talk about Cary and Ren, and how amazing they are not only together but individually as well. Cary is breathtaking in almost every aspect, from her realistic, curvey and buxom body, with all its imperfections serving to just make her that much more eye-catching, to her agency and forwardness with how she flirts with Ren. Cary is a woman who fucks. Cary is not shy about people knowing she fucks. And she is certainly not averse to letting Ren know exactly just how submerged her mind is in the gutter (and just how submerged between her legs she'd like him to be). Yet, at the same time, she is definitely not a one-note character, and the story does an excellent job of showing, displaying, and explaining the reasons behind each and every facet of her existence. In a world full of demure and modest female leads whose sole goal seems to be attaining a relationship and forming a family, Cary is a breath of fresh air. And I love her for it. Ren, himself, is no slouch either, but his character is much less overt in their brilliance, with the subtle and more mysterious aspects of his character (not to mention how positive and supportive of Cary he is) are where he truly shines. If you want to watch two gorgeous people try to find time to fuck while being constantly interrupted by a murder mystery, this is the story for you!
So I made a post on Twitter about these reviews/recommendations and linked it to the series' authors. I wasn't quite expecting this reaction. Can't say I'm disappointed though.

unknown.png

May 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
May 2021 Recommendation
Berserk (by Kentaro Miura)

z8MSRI5.png

Dark Fantasy Revenge Tale | 40 volumes, incomplete work, licensed in English by Dark Horse

Content warning: Berserk contains depictions of sexual assault.

His name is Guts, the Black Swordsman, a feared warrior spoken of only in whispers. Bearer of a gigantic sword, an iron hand, and the scars of countless battles and tortures, his flesh is also indelibly marked with The Brand, an unholy symbol that draws the forces of darkness to him and dooms him as their sacrifice. But Guts won't take his fate lying down; he'll cut a crimson swath of carnage through the ranks of the damned -- and anyone else foolish enough to oppose him! Accompanied by Puck the Elf, more an annoyance than a companion, Guts relentlessly follows a dark, bloodstained path that leads only to death… or vengeance. (source)

From PaulExcellent:
I don't quite know where to begin when it comes to describing my feelings right now.

Just finished up volume 20 and I feel like I've experienced what is the apex of a medium.

Berserk is not just a series. It is a world. It is a combination of hopelessness, depravity, and many other different emotions that transcend into one epic tale of a determined man looking for revenge.

Even after he loses everything that was once dear to him... the Black Swordsman continues on. There is only one end goal for Guts. No matter what might happen on the way there.

An amazing read. And I'm not even close to catching up. What a time to be alive.
If you can deal with excessive brutality and extremely adult and inappropriate content, jump in. It's worth it.
(source)

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Really hoping Berserk gets a digital sale at some point in the future. I've always wanted to read it since it's held in such high regard but 40 volumes @ $12.99 each is over $500. Maybe if I had les stuff to read right now I would just grab a volume every couple weeks and read it over the course of 1-2 years.

I'm just staring longingly at the all you can eat anime buffet you get for $5-$10 with crunchyroll and Funimation...I wish we had more services like SJ for manga. It's a bummer that the only way to read many series legitimately is to spend hundreds of dollars.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Really hoping Berserk gets a digital sale at some point in the future. I've always wanted to read it since it's held in such high regard but 40 volumes @ $12.99 each is over $500. Maybe if I had les stuff to read right now I would just grab a volume every couple weeks and read it over the course of 1-2 years.

I'm just staring longingly at the all you can eat anime buffet you get for $5-$10 with crunchyroll and Funimation...I wish we had more services like SJ for manga. It's a bummer that the only way to read many series legitimately is to spend hundreds of dollars.
Not sure where you checked, but if you get them from Dark Horse's website (and use the bundle deals), you can get them all for around $306.

Berserk | Dark Horse Digital Comics

Read your favorite titles for only $1.99! No iPad/iPhone? No problem! Read Dark Horse Digital Comics on your Internet-connected laptop and desktop!

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Darkhorse do half off sales very regulalry. You should also check if your local libary does comics on their ebooks or as a spereate app since darkhorse are often on those borrowing services.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Not sure where you checked, but if you get them from Dark Horse's website (and use the bundle deals), you can get them all for around $306.

Berserk | Dark Horse Digital Comics

Read your favorite titles for only $1.99! No iPad/iPhone? No problem! Read Dark Horse Digital Comics on your Internet-connected laptop and desktop!

Huh, I was not aware that Dark Horse has a digital store. I was going off Comixology, so this is definitely a good deal cheaper. Thank you!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Also re-reading Berserk in honor of Miura, what a series, it's the closest I've ever felt to literature while reading manga.

Oct 25, 2017
E21yjxKUUAAkPRa

This week's TOC.
This should be Blue Box's first ranking, and it's looking comfy.
Sakamoto Days getting the cover next week is pretty awesome. Glad it's doing well.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Pride Month! I am not saying I am going to try to read 30 BL in 30 days but I can at least say I have read 1 BL in 1 day...

My Summer of You vol 1
91BfNCUcENL.jpg

First up, a quick note on the physical book- the color pages are really nice, and this also includes a VERY useful publication history of each chapter and the magazine it ran it- this is VERY welcome as BL manga always has weird publication schedules, and it's good to know when each part was written so you can understand the context. I wish more companies did this! On the downside, the overall quality is pretty low-a lot of pages seem faded, like it was a poor quality master they used. It's a shame, and I'm curious if the digital version has the same issue.

Now, the actual Manga...

I've been a fan of Nagisa Furuya for a while, I actually logged on to my account on the other site to see that I first red Number Call back in March of 2015. This is her first manga officially licensed into english, and it's fairly different than Number Call. In the authors notes in the back, she notes that "they have a lot of distance between them" and "they aren't dating". The first chapter of this ends with one of them confessing to the other one, but never using the word "love" and basically says "I don't want an answer or anything from you and I don't particularly care if you reciprocate, I just want to hang out with you over the summer". As their pre-existing friendship was built around watching movies together, they spend the summer doing pilgrimages to different movie locations.

There is a twist towards the end that is a little weird and did not go the direction i thought it would (and not necessarily in a good way), but on the whole I liked how the characters worked on this. In 90% of BL like this, you would have one person confess, the other one go "but I like girls", and then they wouldn't be able to stop thinking about him, and by the end of the story they would be kissing the other boy (in a non-adult manga) or ......... (in an adult manga), but here, the entire story, it's never framed as romantic, it's purely friendship. Not every star of a BL manga has to actually fall in love! It's fine!

I pre-ordered the 2nd volume about 20 minutes after finishing this one

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
E21yjxKUUAAkPRa

This week's TOC.
This should be Blue Box's first ranking, and it's looking comfy.
Sakamoto Days getting the cover next week is pretty awesome. Glad it's doing well.

I still don't understand the logic of the people who make these. Why is Candy Flurry using it's Japanese name? It feels like there is always one series on these English made Jump ToC list or author comments using the Japanese version of the name for no real reason.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i enjoyed sket dance and kanata no astra, witch watch is pretty funny too
hope it doesn't get cut

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with Roboco and I absolutely love it. The jokes just don't miss. Gotta give props to the translator too. This cant be an easy one to work on.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There's this youtube channel that basically narrates Baki the Grappler chapters. It shows up in my recs so reliably, that I might as well be subscribed.

Anyway, I've been watching these videos and, other than sheer nonsensical insanity of the proceedings, what mesmerizes me is the pacing of the series that is evident from these videos. Almost every other chapter, a fight has to be interrupted, as we get an interview from Somedude Whocaresagawa, aged 35, who happened to be present during the fight to describe, in detail, how Hanayama's punch was like a baseball pitch or some shit and how Yujiro no-sold it.

And if I had a bit of money for every time the author took some time to painstakingly underline how much of a walking Chunk Norris joke Yujiro is, I'd be buying a house right now.

Baki is something else.

Also Yujiro has to do some outlandish flex every single time he appears. It is hilarious.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Has anybody here read Gunka No Baltzar? Its takes place in a fictional version of mid-19th century Europe around the time of the Wars of German Unification. I highly recommend it if you're interested in history, military strategy/tactics & political drama.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Komi-san chap 306

fuck me man, these two are too adorable together.

It's cute that they are trying to protect each other XD

I'm impressed that they're not hiding it either, obviously it would be impossible to keep it a secret for long but nonetheless that's impressive of them to agree to this.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Reminds of me people still using Shingeki no Kyojin lol

I kind of understand it for light novels since typing "danmachi" is a lot faster then "is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon". Trying to shorten that to "dungeon" or "girls in dungeon" may not get the correct series accross. I find it bizarre when people go out of their way to type more letters for their weeb tendencies ie both BNHA and Boku No Hero Academia are longer the MHA and My Hero Academia. It's even more bizarre when the official English name is right there in the official Japanese title/logo already translated like with MHA or AoT. People who use the weeb only romanji versions of the series deserve the most scorn.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I kind of understand it for light novels since typing "danmachi" is a lot faster then "is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon". Trying to shorten that to "dungeon" or "girls in dungeon" may not get the correct series accross. I find it bizarre when people go out of their way to type more letters for their weeb tendencies ie both BNHA and Boku No Hero Academia are longer the MHA and My Hero Academia. It's even more bizarre when the official English name is right there in the official Japanese title/logo already translated like with MHA or AoT. People who use the weeb only romanji versions of the series deserve the most scorn.
I agree in vast majority of cases, but I'm not ever gonna use "Sorcery Fight" for JJK.

They could've at least thrown the word "Curse" or "Shaman" in there somewhere.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect I'm surprised they didn't call JJK: "Sorcery Fight: Jujutsu Kaisen" like they did for Kimetsu no Yaiba and Shokugeki no Souma

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Welp, the translation group that's been doing Kengan Ashura/Omega decided to drop it, and they're gonna take down all their chapters (well, once they can) to support the official release, even though it doesn't exist in most of the world

Like, I respect people wanting to support the official and everything, but when there's no literally no alternative for most people. It'd be like the group that's being doing Kingdom just decided to stop all of a sudden and take everything down.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Welp, the translation group that's been doing Kengan Ashura/Omega decided to drop it, and they're gonna take down all their chapters (well, once they can) to support the official release, even though it doesn't exist in most of the world

Like, I respect people wanting to support the official and everything, but when there's no literally no alternative for most people. It'd be like the group that's being doing Kingdom just decided to stop all of a sudden and take everything down.

Safer then being sued into oblivion.

In retrospect I'm surprised they didn't call JJK: "Sorcery Fight: Jujutsu Kaisen" like they did for Kimetsu no Yaiba and Shokugeki no Souma

They originally called it "The Demon Slaying Sword of Destruction" or some such when they did the Jump Start run back in the day. Thank goodness they didn't stick with that name.

Oct 25, 2017

American centric view or something?

Kingdom is officially released in France.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 208

Chapters where you wish this were monthly, lol. Ready for that special assignment.

Did like taking time to explore the surroundings and dive deeper into the things they are doing instead of just rushing us into a battle.

Intense.
E297uImXEAYWS4Q

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 - 35

Oh shit. That's a bunch of new stuff we haven't seen before. It's nice that he's just feeling out Kafka's capabilities, the alternative would be a very Jujutsu Kaisen type scenario.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
World Trigger 208:
Seems like this is basically going to be a full on puzzle room arc. Though I'm interested in what type of game the battle will be if it's computer based. Also I see Ashihara's Disco Elysium-esque mind cats made their appearance lol.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Reading the explanation it sounds more like they're doing it because it doesn't have an official english release and they think their existence will discourage publishers from biting. Though I think even if that was true it's way too late for that to be solved and other scanlators will inevitably take over so this seems like an exercise in futility at best

Oct 25, 2017
BLue Exorcist 131
E29_RG-XIAEzXS3

When was the last time we even saw Shura lol. Feels like forever, also, especially now that everyone (except Shiemi) is back again, and then let Shima stay, nice.