• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Have read chapter 1 and liked it, but didn't read the rest yet. That bad huh?

The first chapter is the only decent one. Later chapters make it obvious they have literally no idea how to develop the idea into an ongoing series. They've managed to throw out different hooks for what the series could be and went for the least interesting option every time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It feels like this should have been a "single dad raising a super powered kid" series that was mostly slice of life hijinks.
Or a romcom about a normal guy trying to date a super hero

Or a family comedy of a stay at home dad raising a super powered baby while Mom is off saving the world

Or just time skipped in chapter 3 to the kid as a teen, trying to learn to be a super hero like his late mother but his mentor is his normal rather who knows little of how her powers worked

Like literally anything is better then what we got

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why are they out there handing out serializations based on a one-shot and literally nothing else?

That one editor really sucks at his job

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Why are they out there handing out serializations based on a one-shot and literally nothing else?

That one editor really sucks at his job

Yeah, I don't know how much story the artists come with to the Jump editorial usually when pitching their stuff, but you would assume they would have a story outline for the first arc or something and not just a one shot pitch.

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how much of a trainwreck Earthchild is.
It just can't stick with a single plot.
The fact that the editor has also been overseeing MHA says soooo much.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I may be remembering wrong, but in Bakuman they say they need to have like 4 or 6 chapters done, or at least have the names done, before getting a series.
iirc, to get approuved for serialisation, it was 3 chapters fully done + 7 more storyboards
So meaning an editor approves the story of the first 10 chapters of a series

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right, their editor gave them extra hard conditions because they were still in school

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
iirc, to get approuved for serialisation, it was 3 chapters fully done + 7 more storyboards
So meaning an editor approves the story of the first 10 chapters of a series

If I remember right, their editor gave them extra hard conditions because they were still in school

I've been meaning to reread Bakuman, maybe this discussion is the perfect excuse to start that reread hahaha

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
And Earthchild doesn't have years of popularity and goodwill to keep it afloat. It being this bad from the start means cancelation soon.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the series has significantly gone down. Sales and polling do not matter when Naruto also did well in both despite going down in quality.

This.
and what it has to do with the editor?
You want the editor to go "Hey I know your manga is super succesful right now but some people on internet dont like it, can you change it?" lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Looks at Bakuman

I mean, apparently that's how it works?
You'd think they'd at least ask a few simple questions like "hey, what kind of series is this? Where does it go from here?"

Because the Earthchild mangaka doesn't seem like he ever had much of an answer to those lol

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just cancel Earthchild already, what a fucking mess.
Is ANYONE actually enjoying this manga?
Hot take, but all the problems were in the first chapter.
You want the editor to go "Hey I know your manga is super succesful right now but some people on internet dont like it, can you change it?" lol
An editor isn't going to respond to the public, but have their own metric for what will work and catch people's attention. They're working to figure that out weeks/months in advance, and give notes to steer the author in clear and successful directions. This one seems real bad at that job.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they'd at least ask a few simple questions like "hey, what kind of series is this? Where does it go from here?"

Because the Earthchild mangaka doesn't seem like he ever had much of an answer to those lol
If I'm honest, the first chapter felt like it had a sort of interesting concept, "Guy dates a superhero, she dies saving humanity, and now he's left alone with their super powered kid." There's a series in that, it's a simple concept but something that could easily be built out of. Part of me wonders how much of the series being directionless is down to editorial interference.

EDIT: I'm adding onto this because I didn't finish my thought, but in all honesty this series feels like it should have a very solid direction but is instead seeming to build toward aging up the kid so they can do a battle manga.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Earthchild might be another Time Paradox Ghostwriter (cool concept that didn't translate into a manga meant to last a while) but it was actually just another i tell c (bad concept from the start)

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Earthchild might be another Time Paradox Ghostwriter (cool concept that didn't translate into a manga meant to last a while) but it was actually just another i tell c (bad concept from the start)
See, I don't think it was a bad concept from the start. The initial pitch doesn't sound bad at all, the issue has been everything after that being kind of trash.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye, Eri

I originally was going to say I liked Look Back more, but all this "movie in a movie" stuff, especially with the ending, is starting to make me think otherwise. One complaint was that Eri being a vampire was a weird twist that didn't fit, but at the time it didn't dawn on me that was most likely just for the movie. Same with the timeskip and introducing then killing off Yuta's new family in the course of a few pages, all offscreen. That could have just been Yuta's dad playing the role as grown Yuta for a movie, and there was no timeskip at all.

This is some great storytelling.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I tell c was more of a good concept but in the wrong magazine aimed at the wrong demographic, it would have worked a lot better as a seinen

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, as much as western MHA fans on the internet whine, Japan is eating this stuff up. Many of the issues western MHA fans have clearly don't mean jack in Japan (like the poor use of female characters, the heavy focus on Deku/Bakugo/Todoroki, the All For One/Shigaraki being super op, etc). Obviously feel free to vent your frustrations, but acknowledge your complaints are clearly in a vocal circle jerk minority. It's basically why I've stopped interacting with people who call themselves "MHA fans", I can't think of the last time I've seen a group of people who claim to like something spend this much effort shitting on it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Earth Child was a clear case of "Writer has a great idea for a oneshot, but no actual idea how to expand on it to a full series". Which frankly was always a huge concern from chapter 1, because the logical thing to do with the premise is a slice of life comedy about raising a superpowered kid, but the tone of the first chapter didn't really lend to going in that direction. I honestly wonder if the editors didn't realize that somehow, or if they sent the guy out to fail to prove a point to someone they saw as promising but flawed or something. Or it's possible they figured it was risky but wanted to go for something experimental since if it works that's a big success for Jump that might bring in new audiences and if it fails it's gone in a few months and not a big deal for them

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure which I preferred between Goodbye Eri and Look Back, but both were absolutely fantastic

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Earth Child was a clear case of "Writer has a great idea for a oneshot, but no actual idea how to expand on it to a full series". Which frankly was always a huge concern from chapter 1, because the logical thing to do with the premise is a slice of life comedy about raising a superpowered kid, but the tone of the first chapter didn't really lend to going in that direction. I honestly wonder if the editors didn't realize that somehow, or if they sent the guy out to fail to prove a point to someone they saw as promising but flawed or something. Or it's possible they figured it was risky but wanted to go for something experimental since if it works that's a big success for Jump that might bring in new audiences and if it fails it's gone in a few months and not a big deal for them
Like I said, it feels like this whole thing is split between a set up for a battle manga and a comedy slice of life manga.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I definitely liked Look Back alot more, but Goodbye Eri was still great.

Fujimoto doesn't miss. Except for like half of Fire Punch, but those days are long behind us.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I really like how Goodbye Eri presents its story, intentionally making the line between fiction and reality blurry.

But overall, I like Look Back better because for me it feels more intimate.

Both are still really great on their own. I wish it's possible for manga creators to create one-shots like Fujimoto's more often, though I guess it's financially unfeasible.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think I liked both of these one shots more than Chainsawman tbh.
It is not fair to comapared them. One shots are a complete story, like a movie, series are, well, like TV series. Both have unique things and some people would say that to contain a story to a single entity would give more control and opportunity to have a tight well told story.

I love Chainsaw Man WAY TOO MUCH, practically every chapter had me like "This man is such a good story teller who also is breaking shonen manga cliches and stabilished things", and I also love WAY TOO MUCH those 2 one shots.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dandadan 52

How can this manga be this good? I literally never know what to expect when starting a new chapter. Oh and that Hayashi singer is straight up wearing a jacket that looks like Saiyan armor.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia exists in this odd state where I wouldn't call it terrible or bad, but it distinctly feels like it'll never reach its potential, which is almost as frustrating.

As it stands, it feels like there's this huge chunk of the story that should have happened after the war and it just....didn't.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

The problem I have is that it just seems directionless. Like the tonal shift at the end of the first chapter was kind of neat, like "oh, that's not the story they're going to tell." But every chapter is like that, they shift gears completely and I don't think it's for meta reasons.

Also, either the mangaka's art has declined because of deadlines or he really can't draw faces at certain angles. I kind of remember liking the artstyle in the first chapter and the last few, not so much.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Did Goodbye, Eri really need so many empty panels ?
I think his other one-shot had same problem.
They could've easily shorten it by a good 1/4.