• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 amazing work on the new 2023 recommended settings!!! I have a couple questions as I'm seeing numerous answers here in the thread and kinda confused now lol…

Firstly, if I have a PC with Nvidia GPU connected to C2, why is it still recommended to use Game Console input vs PC input?

Also, for games that DON'T have any HDR calibration sliders or adjustable settings, would DTM On or Off be more accurate? I thought originally it was DTM On, but in your optimized settings for Jedi Survivor you say Off?
You can see the reasoning for avoiding PC Mode in the Changelog.

Basically it will raise the EOTF and Gamma, ruining the pre-calibration done by LG for the stock presets, along with killing the ALLM functionality and also disabling most Clarity options useful for movies (as Smooth Gradation, TruMotion etc). It will also introduce text fringing on Windows and in the end visual differences between 4:4:4 and even 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 are unnoticeable, so all these things to lose are not worth it.

About HDR games, yes: when they do not provide any Peak HDR Luminance control at all it's better to stick with DTM: On (I updated all my links in my Patreon to reflect that, including Jedi Survivor, along with adding G3 numbers for HGIG as well). Considering that almost half of all HDR games released in the last 6 years won't have HDR controls, I also recommend DTM as the primary "set it and forget it" option for gaming, even more so on G3.

On G3 specifically, in fact, DTM: On coupled with Filmmaker Mode (with just the Black Level set to 48 instead of 50) behaves much better than previous years: it will basically leave the image untouched, even during night scenes or very dark scenes, except for "boosting" the highlights in the picture giving them "punch" while not losing detail around them in a very similar way of properly setup HGIG. I really like it now.
FMM will also preserve the new "dynamic color boosting" of 2023 series which will preserve the very high luminance colors directly competing and even surpassing QD-OLEDs rendition (Game Mode won't have that, along with being 100 nits dimmer), so in the end it's just best to also game with FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level 48) + ALLM: On which will result in the same low input lag as Game Mode as well, making it completely useless now ;)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Where is the guide? I'm about to have this exact combo. Not sure how this thread works haha.
Read the red note on the bottom of the chart.
Basically use the same setting as Xbox with just Sharpness 25 and Super Resolution: HIGH. If it's still too dim for you, you can increase the SDR OLED Light to 100 or use the forced HLG HDR method I linked a couple of posts ago.

If you have a G3 just note that Switch does not support ALLM, so you may need to use the Game Optimizer preset or try the PC Mode + FMM combo and see what you like best input lag and picture wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Some people are telling me they have applied my 2023 settings to C1 and C2s and now look even better than before, lol

Theorry , raviolico
You may still try that if you want, just keep in mind I've only directly tested them on G3 for now.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Was just having a look between the latest OLED and last gen to work out the price difference and see what reason there was.

Carbon fibre construction and 25% lighter new models! Nuts

Also a few hundred quid more expensive !

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are telling me they have applied my 2023 settings to C1 and C2s and now look even better than before, lol
I'm tempted by the G3 but may hold out for the G4 as I really want an 83" with MLA.

Will you do similar detailed settings for next years models? Do you buy a new LG OLED tv every year to test the settings yourself?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'm tempted by the G3 but may hold out for the G4 as I really want an 83" with MLA.

Will you do similar detailed settings for next years models? Do you buy a new LG OLED tv every year to test the settings yourself?
I firmly believe things won't change so dramatically as this year for a very long time, so most 2023 settings should still be applicable for future series for a couple of years as well.

My G3 is a keeper and I won't change it anytime soon, eheh.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
55 inch g3 is like 70% more expensive than 65 inch g2 here, ubeliveable. Will drop like a rock probably
It does cost a lot, especially in UK.

But luckily here in Italy the G3 55" price is aligned with US + I got an extra 10% discount + free delivery and wall mounting when bought from official LG Online Store.

Prices should already drop significantly around July, then again on Black Friday and even more around G4/C4 release.

Jan 13, 2022
Read the red note on the bottom of the chart.
Basically use the same setting as Xbox with just Sharpness 25 and Super Resolution: HIGH. If it's still too dim for you, yiu can increase the SDR OLED Light to 100 or use the forced HLG HDR method I linked a couple of posts ago.

If you have a G3 just note that Switch does not support ALLM, so you may need to use the Game Optimizer preset or try the PC Mode + FMM combo and see what you like best input lag and picture wise.

Thanks a ton. Appreciate you.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's a phone app from LG that lets you control the TV right? Is it LG Thinq? I installed it but it asks me to create an account so checking before I go through all the hastle.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Anyone recommend a nice universal stand for the 55G2 seeing the official one is impossible to purchase, atleast it is in the UK?

2023+ DTM in FMM is very good now, and the way to go.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Cinema with DTM: Off vs FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level: 48) in Movies

Cinema with DTM: Off vs FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level: 48) vs HGIG in Games

They're literally identical with the exception of highlights being brighter with the new DTM: On in FMM (and colors being better in games thanks to dynamic color boosting).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
P40L0

In your chart for pre 2023 screen. You have cinematic movement on. On CX. I have only Cinema clear, natural, and more. Wich one should i choose then?

Nov 3, 2017
Not really sure where to ask this : if I keep getting suggestions to calibrate my hdr(and sound) settings in the Xbox Settings area, does that mean something broke during some update and I need to set it all up again?

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
None in your case.
Try User Selection: De-Judder 2, De-Blur 2.

If you notice Soap Opera effect or artifacts go for 1,1
I never thought owning a TV would be so complicated with the settings, I'm used to an LCD though.

Could you make a short video demonstrating what 30fps gaming content looks like please if you have time as I'm looking at how it would affect me if/when I move up to an oled?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I never thought owning a TV would be so complicated with the settings, I'm used to an LCD though.

Could you make a short video demonstrating what 30fps gaming content looks like please if you have time as I'm looking at how it would affect me if/when I move up to an oled?
We're enthusiasts here so having the more control the better in the end, but most users don't even care about that stuff and will just stick with some stock presets and still be satisfied with the results.
Ignorance is bliss sometimes, but knowledge is always power :)

It would be almost impossible demonstrating the 30fps stutter on OLEDs recorded with a video you'll probably see on a non-OLED display...
You just need to watch it in person to understand but, as I told you before, you can already fix it for movies and avoid it for most games nowadays.

Jan 13, 2022
With the C2, if I change settings for the Switch, will that change them for everything else too? Like will I need to change back and forth to watch TV? Does it save presets to make it easy at least?

fcg44

Feb 5, 2023
You can see the reasoning for avoiding PC Mode in the Changelog.

Basically it will raise the EOTF and Gamma, ruining the pre-calibration done by LG for the stock presets, along with killing the ALLM functionality and also disabling most Clarity options useful for movies (as Smooth Gradation, TruMotion etc). It will also introduce text fringing on Windows and in the end visual differences between 4:4:4 and even 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 are unnoticeable, so all these things to lose are not worth it.

About HDR games, yes: when they do not provide any Peak HDR Luminance control at all it's better to stick with DTM: On (I updated all my links in my Patreon to reflect that, including Jedi Survivor, along with adding G3 numbers for HGIG as well). Considering that almost half of all HDR games released in the last 6 years won't have HDR controls, I also recommend DTM as the primary "set it and forget it" option for gaming, even more so on G3.

On G3 specifically, in fact, DTM: On coupled with Filmmaker Mode (with just the Black Level set to 48 instead of 50) behaves much better than previous years: it will basically leave the image untouched, even during night scenes or very dark scenes, except for "boosting" the highlights in the picture giving them "punch" while not losing detail around them in a very similar way of properly setup HGIG. I really like it now.
FMM will also preserve the new "dynamic color boosting" of 2023 series which will preserve the very high luminance colors directly competing and even surpassing QD-OLEDs rendition (Game Mode won't have that, along with being 100 nits dimmer), so in the end it's just best to also game with FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level 48) + ALLM: On which will result in the same low input lag as Game Mode as well, making it completely useless now ;)

Man the info regarding the G3 is super exciting, may just have to start looking into replacing my C2 for it one day haha, and as always appreciate the answer here! Definitely clears things up

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
These are contradictory statements.
It's the chroma subsampling (4:2:2) that is blurring away subpixel rendering on text when you are outside of PC mode.
And I don't consider it to be improved. It's far better to adjust the subpixel rendering to minimize color fringing than use a non-PC mode.

I do not consider 4:2:2 to be a major drawback when using the display with 4K consoles, and it doesn't matter at all for video playback - especially at TV distances.
But it does matter if you're using it with a PC as a monitor.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
These are contradictory statements.
It's the chroma subsampling (4:2:2) that is blurring away subpixel rendering on text when you are outside of PC mode.
And I don't consider it to be improved. It's far better to adjust the subpixel rendering to minimize color fringing than use a non-PC mode.

I do not consider 4:2:2 to be a major drawback when using the display with 4K consoles, and it doesn't matter at all for video playback - especially at TV distances.
But it does matter if you're using it with a PC as a monitor.
Yeah, the fringing is caused by texts being more defined, I've never said the opposite, but you'll still have it unless you will re-do a ClearType calibration on Windows.
Other than that, there are also all the other issues to take account: raised gamma compared to "non-PC" calibration, ALLM breaking, Clarity option being shut off in all presets etc, to me not worth the switch.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I picked up a Dolby Atmos soundbar, nothing fancy but it sounds sooooo much better than the TV speakers, however I don't think the Dolby Atmos is working?

Dolby Atmos is greyed out:

dA8xaEH.jpg

Dolby Atmos isn't an option here either:

8xbbEPh.jpg

Other sound settings:

5M7jmIu.jpg

The soundbar: https://www.majority.co.uk/soundbars/sierra-plus/

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I picked up a Dolby Atmos soundbar, nothing fancy but it sounds sooooo much better than the TV speakers, however I don't think the Dolby Atmos is working?

Dolby Atmos is greyed out:

dA8xaEH.jpg

Dolby Atmos isn't an option here either:

8xbbEPh.jpg

Other sound settings:

5M7jmIu.jpg

The soundbar: https://www.majority.co.uk/soundbars/sierra-plus/
That Dolby Atmos option you see is for Internal Speakers only, so it's correct to be greyed out when the soundbar is plugged.
Leave DTV Audio Setting to Auto, leave Pass Through enabled and also check that the "HDMI Input Audio Format" is set to Bitstream, and you will have your Atmos just "pass trough" the TV, directly into the soundbar ;)

Last edited:

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
That Dolby Atmos option to see is for Internal Speakers only, so it's correct to be greyed out when the soundbar is plugged.
Leave DTV Audio Setting to Auto, leave Pass Through enabled and also check that the "HDMI Input Audio Format" is set to Bitstream, and you will have your Atmos just "pass trough" the TV, directly into the soundbar ;)

Where is the HDMI audio format option? I can't find it. I just noticed on the soundbar OSD it says Dolby Surround, so it's definitely not outputting Atmos. It may be the setting you suggested.

EDIT: I found it but it's greyed out?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Where is the HDMI audio format option? I can't find it. I just noticed on the soundbar OSD it says Dolby Surround, so it's definitely not outputting Atmos. It may be the setting you suggested.

EDIT: I found it but it's greyed out?
If you see Bitstream, even if greyed out, is correct and in theory should "pass through" without reconversion to the soundbar and the soundbar should be able to reproduce it if supports it.
Try going to Digital Sound Output again and set it to Auto, see if Atmos is working that way instead.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
If you see Bitstream, even if greyed out, is correct and in theory should "pass through" without reconversion to the soundbar and the soundbar should be able to reproduce it if supports it.
Try going to Digital Sound Output again and set it to Auto, see if Atmos is working that way instead.

Nice dice, it just sticks to Dolby Surround :/

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Nah, the webOS apps work fine with Dolby Atmos. You could try disabling eARC support on the LG settings since your device only supports standard ARC.

Right we're getting somewhere, it seems to be Netflix only. I'm getting the Dolby Atmos OSD on both Disney and Prime.
EDIT: It seems to be working after a cable change and reboot. Not sure which one fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I also confirm that starting from 2023 series you will have two DTM implementations:
  • On all HDR presets except HDR Filmmaker Mode: DTM will be the "old" one we always had. It will raise gamma and overall brightness considerably but will also likely elevate night/dark scenes as well;
  • On HDR Filmmaker Mode: DTM will be the "new", much improved, one: when just set to Black Level 48 it will be virtually identical to DTM: Off most of the time, but with higher nits contents (as 4.000 nits, for example when properly setup on consoles' system level HDR Calibration apps) it will just brighten up highlights in a similar way HGIG does when hard clipping them at correct point (1.500 nits on G3 or 800 nits on C3), without altering night/dark scenes anymore. It's just really good and "smart" enough now to stick with there ;)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Just a small (but probably last) update for 2023+ Settings:

LG-OLEDs-2023-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v13-5.png

Click for Full Screen

v13.5 Changelog:
  • Just changed HDR Filmmaker Mode to HDR Cinema preset for Movies: as DTM is working differently between the two. HDR Cinema will have the "old" DTM which is better for Movies (which would be too dim/dark without it) while HDR Filmmaker Mode has the "new" DTM which is better for Games, being closer to properly setup HGIG results in highlights when games are set to 4.000 nits.​

Last edited: