• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good LG oled upgrade to get from
A 65 inch LG CX?
I want to upgrade to a 77 inch but also a newer model. Is it worth getting this years models or last years? And when are the price drops? Uk here

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I have mine set to change every day. Unfortunately in Windows there's a little stutter that happens during the change (you'll feel it during gameplay) so I switched it from more regular intervals once I discovered that. I just operate in SDR outside of games/media, hide the taskbar and have my screensaver set to 3 minutes.
Yep, I learned that a few years back and stopped doing it which is why I'm hesitant to do it here or the steam wallpaper engine which I'd assume could potentially do the same thing. ATM I'm just turning it on when I game so it's not too bothersome but how you're do it is essentially how I'd think to do it. Thank you.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Curious for those of you using OLEDs for pc gaming and just daily usage, how do you handle wallpapers? Do you run some kind of wallpaper engine or maybe allow windows to change wallpapers frequently?

I have another monitor for more static tasks. The OLED is either black (wallpaper), or screen off unless I'm actively watching/playing something. Also no icons and no taskbar of course. But I know most people don't use it like me, and they use it as a full time monitor.

IGotPaid

Nov 7, 2017
I ran across a floor model 77" G3 at Best buy for $2135. I jumped on it. Nothing seemingly wrong with it. What should I be watching out for?

François85

Apr 10, 2024
Hello.......
With my G3, do I have to plug everything (X series, satellite, 4K bluray player....) into it and output to my Denon amp (HDMI 2.1) or connect everything to my amp and then to my G3. What is the best hookup please?

Oct 25, 2017
Curious for those of you using OLEDs for pc gaming and just daily usage, how do you handle wallpapers? Do you run some kind of wallpaper engine or maybe allow windows to change wallpapers frequently?

Been using a QD-OLED for a year now, a bit over 3000 hours between gaming, work, general PC stuff. No burn in.

I change the wallpaper every week or so, originally it was every day for a while, and I hide my taskbar still. Also I have the Mystify screensaver go on after five minutes. Sometimes that wallpaper will be on all day because I'll turn the computer on in the morning but not actually use it, so I don't go back until I turn it off before bed.

The only time I've ever been really nervous was when Diablo IV released. That was about a month after I got the monitor, and the health and mana bars were giving me anxiety lol ran the manual pixel refresh after a couple days of that.

Oct 26, 2023
C3/PS5 user here, I have a simple question. Am I crazy or does VRR actually make image quality worse on games? I notice that disabling it with 120hz mode on for games like Spider-Man 2 or GoW Ragnarok gives better IQ, am I tripping?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Feel really no need to upgrade my CX. Is working totally fine still and i get all the features i want. VRR, Freesync, Dolby vision etc.
For gaming and watching movies. I use apple TV also next to it. So the UI stuff i dont use also or apps on it.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a C3 yesterday and I'm working on getting it setup. I will be using it with an Apple TV for streaming services and movies bought from iTunes and a PS5 for games / blurays / 4k / DVDs along with a Switch. I'm still struggling to wrap my head around some things here especially with the gaming side.

On the chart under PS5 SDR it says "use SDR ISF Dark Room + Movies settings" I'm not sure what ISF Dark Room is referring to.

When using PS5 do I have to turn ALLM on and off depending on if I'm playing a game vs watching a movie or do these configurations stick depending on what you're feeding the TV at the time of setup?

Also on the chart I'm assuming that if I'm configuring HDR mode on Apple TV I should just be following the WebOS HDR instructions? (For example. I realize I have to setup SDR, DV, etc. too)

Are there any recommended Apple TV specific settings? There's an option that sets my Apple TV to be Dolby Vision, but I have another setting to match source so I'm assuming it doesn't matter as long as it changes depending on content? Or is this setting talking forcing me to pick the highest capability of my display? It's a bit confusing because if I pick Dolby Vision my Apple TV menu is shown in Dolby Vision.

I can't remember if 4.4.4 passthrough was already disabled or not, but if I set this after the fact and applied to all would that be okay? Or do I need to factory reset to make sure I set that before configuring the other settings?

Also on the chart, a few columns have Method: with a "\". This means it should be set to 22, not that it should be greyed out, right?

Hopefully my questions make sense. Thanks!

Last edited:

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
On the chart under PS5 SDR it says "use SDR ISF Dark Room + Movies settings" I'm not sure what ISF Dark Room is referring to.

ISF Dark Room is a picture mode. It sits alongside Vivid, Cinema, Filmmaker, etc.

When using PS5 do I have to turn ALLM on and off depending on if I'm playing a game vs watching a movie or do these configurations stick depending on what you're feeding the TV at the time of setup?

You don't have to turn off ALLM, that's the whole point of it. It automatically engages a low latency picture mode when Game content is detected. Low latency is disabled for Video content.

Also on the chart I'm assuming that if I'm configuring HDR mode on Apple TV I should just be following the WebOS HDR instructions? (For example. I realize I have to setup SDR, DV, etc. too)

Yes.

Are there any recommended Apple TV specific settings? There's an option that sets my Apple TV to be Dolby Vision, but I have another setting to match source so I'm assuming it doesn't matter as long as it changes depending on content? Or is this setting talking forcing me to pick the highest capability of my display? It's a bit confusing because if I pick Dolby Vision my Apple TV menu is shown in Dolby Vision.

I don't have an Apple TV but if I recall correctly, setting it to Dolby Vision forces the Apple TV to convert all content to Dolby Vision whether it's SDR or HDR. You want to use the source match setting so that the device is outputting the signal correctly without alteration. You can make sure Dolby Vision content is working by playing Dolby Vision content and you'll see the Dolby Vision badge appear on the TV.

I can't remember if 4.4.4 passthrough was already disabled or not, but if I set this after the fact and applied to all would that be okay? Or do I need to factory reset to make sure I set that before configuring the other settings?

Just enable it and apply to all. You can double check that the other settings are correct after. You shouldn't ever need to factory reset the TV.

Also on the chart, a few columns have Method: with a "\". This means it should be set to 22, not that it should be greyed out, right?

"/" just means there's no setting to change. It'll either be greyed out or left untouched.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I must have missed the setting for ISF Dark Room. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
ISF Dark Room is a picture mode. It sits alongside Vivid, Cinema, Filmmaker, etc.

You don't have to turn off ALLM, that's the whole point of it. It automatically engages a low latency picture mode when Game content is detected. Low latency is disabled for Video content.

Yes.

I don't have an Apple TV but if I recall correctly, setting it to Dolby Vision forces the Apple TV to convert all content to Dolby Vision whether it's SDR or HDR. You want to use the source match setting so that the device is outputting the signal correctly without alteration. You can make sure Dolby Vision content is working by playing Dolby Vision content and you'll see the Dolby Vision badge appear on the TV.

Just enable it and apply to all. You can double check that the other settings are correct after. You shouldn't ever need to factory reset the TV.

"/" just means there's no setting to change. It'll either be greyed out or left untouched.
Thanks for your support :)

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why Real Cinema is locked to On while I'm doing my PS4 SDR game settings. Any idea what's up with that?

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Everything in clarity is locked to Off except Sharpness and Super Resolution which I can toggle. Real Cinema is locked to On. I meant to say PS5 if that makes any difference.

Ah, okay. Either way, it's disabled since it's grayed out. You could likely turn off game mode, turn it off, and turn back on game mode if you like.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
I'm also on the fence about upgrading my 48 CX to a C4. It looks great, but at the same time I can't remember whether it was looking even better ~3.5 years ago, and I don't know how much better the C4 would look either. Hard to say when using the same set daily without any direct comparison.

I should mention that I have used my CX a lot and I really do mean a lot. (It's my primary monitor for both work and leisure.) Just broke 17000 hours a couple days ago. And while it doesn't have any noticeable burnin, I do wonder how much the OLEDs have been affected by the pixel refresher cycles after that many hours.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, okay. Either way, it's disabled since it's grayed out. You could likely turn off game mode, turn it off, and turn back on game mode if you like.

Oh that makes sense. I am so worried I'm doing something wrong because warm 50 seems way overly red on a few modes. I've kind of found that unless I set color temp to 0 none of my stuff looks right. It's like there's no such thing as blue.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that makes sense. I am so worried I'm doing something wrong because warm 50 seems way overly red on a few modes. I've kind of found that unless I set color temp to 0 none of my stuff looks right. It's like there's no such thing as blue.

Yeah, I remember going through similar obsessions when setting up my G2, haha.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Your eyes will adjust to warmer color temperatures if you leave it alone for a while and just view content that way. And you can open the YouTube app and find a video of the color blue to quell your fears. 😂

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Your eyes will adjust to warmer color temperatures if you leave it alone for a while and just view content that way. And you can open the YouTube app and find a video of the color blue to quell your fears. 😂
Bahaha!! I guess in live action movies and TV it looks okay, but anime and video games still look really weird like this. Okay, I'll try it… I have had night shift on my computer for years and I am reminding myself that I only notice the change when it actually occurs.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I just switched to warm 50 just a week or so ago and, like you said, everything looked so weird and I didn't think I'd ever come around to it. To my surprise, it only took a couple days for me to adjust and now I don't think I'll go back to cooler temp.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I just switched to warm 50 just a week or so ago and, like you said, everything looked so weird and I didn't think I'd ever come around to it. To my surprise, it only took a couple days for me to adjust and now I don't think I'll go back to cooler temp.
I'll try it. I have an OLED switch which I frequently play handheld. I don't use the nuclear puke color setting, but I expect it will look vastly different in the tv which will be weird when "switching". After checking I don't see how anyone used the warm tones could even use a handheld Switch.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I'll try it. I have an OLED switch which I frequently play handheld. I don't use the nuclear puke color setting, but I expect it will look vastly different in the tv which will be weird when "switching". After checking I don't see how anyone used the warm tones could even use a handheld Switch.
I don't have an OLED switch so I don't know what that'll be like but I had a similar concern with my phone and iPad which I play some of the same games I'm playing on my PC and console connecting to the TV like Genshin and both Honkais but for some reason, getting used to warmer tone on my TV don't really affect me switching to other devices that much to that point that it made me wonder if my TV changed the setting back by itself at some point lol.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm also on the fence about upgrading my 48 CX to a C4. It looks great, but at the same time I can't remember whether it was looking even better ~3.5 years ago, and I don't know how much better the C4 would look either. Hard to say when using the same set daily without any direct comparison.

I should mention that I have used my CX a lot and I really do mean a lot. (It's my primary monitor for both work and leisure.) Just broke 17000 hours a couple days ago. And while it doesn't have any noticeable burnin, I do wonder how much the OLEDs have been affected by the pixel refresher cycles after that many hours.
At that size I wouldn't bother either. Even with a bigger panel I'm not sure a CX to C4 is worth it. I'd only personally consider it worth upgrading to an MLA panel i.e. a G3/G4.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
At that size I wouldn't bother either. Even with a bigger panel I'm not sure a CX to C4 is worth it. I'd only personally consider it worth upgrading to an MLA panel i.e. a G3/G4.
Yeah, I could consider a 55" G4 but that's getting really large for a PC monitor. Also I usually have very low light in my office, so I don't particularly need the extra brightness. Mostly I'm curious as to how much those 17000 hours have affected my CX and I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I've bought a new TV unit and a Sanus VTVS1 so I'm pretty locked in on picking up a G3 in the next week or two so I'm getting pretty excited by the idea finally, just waiting for some overtime to come through.

Quick question, and one that feels like it's ridiculously stupid but I'll ask anyway. Regarding the breaking-in process (and the method for speeding it up), realistically I'm going to have to do that with the TV plugged in in a different room to the one it'll be permanently displayed in. Problem is it tends to pick up dust a fair bit but given it's something that will take a few hours then the overnight bit I have no other choice. I assume all TVs now come with some form of protective film over the screen when new, this'll have to be taken off for this process, right? Just trying to figure out if I can avoid it picking up anything significant.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Yeah, I could consider a 55" G4 but that's getting really large for a PC monitor. Also I usually have very low light in my office, so I don't particularly need the extra brightness. Mostly I'm curious as to how much those 17000 hours have affected my CX and I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison.
You will have lost some brightness for sure, but if the wear is even, you have done well with an older OLED as a PC monitor to be fair. If you constantly use a TV like that, you don't tend to notice how they lose brightness over time.

François85

Apr 10, 2024
Hello.......
With my G3, do I have to plug everything (X series, satellite, 4K bluray player....) into it and output to my Denon amp (HDMI 2.1) or connect everything to my amp and then to my G3. What is the best hookup please?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Hello.......
What I do with my G1 and Marantz receiver (which doesn't support HDM 2.1) is run the XSX and PS5 directly to the TV and send the audio back to the receiver via eARC. Then I have an Apple TV 4K, UHD Blu-ray and TV box connected directly to the receiver since none of those devices use HDMI 2.1. The receiver is fine to send 4K video to the TV and can process all audio codecs whether it is direct or via eARC.

One benefit to this approach is that you can have gaming specific settings (since you are already in this topic) on the input where the consoles are connected and general media settings on the other input for non-gaming devices.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, me getting over the warm 50 setting took much less time than I'd imagined. Pretty funny how that works. I also think I must have fixed some random setting that was making deep reds look too strong.

But... I have to say I feel like I'm seeing a slight green tint with SDR especially in things like skin tone. What's the best way to manipulate individual color levels on LG C3? I messed with a few settings, but nothing seemed to change what I think I'm seeing here.

Also, what's the preferred system setting for the Switch in it's TV options? I haven't seen that anywhere and just chose what I thought looked best.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
But... I have to say I feel like I'm seeing a slight green tint with SDR especially in things like skin tone. What's the best way to manipulate individual color levels on LG C3? I messed with a few settings, but nothing seemed to change what I think I'm seeing here.
How many hours do you have on the panel so far? As it breaks in things are going to even out a lot so I wouldn't worry about complete color accuracy from the start. Calibrators tend to wait about 200 hours of panel use time before getting to work on OLEDs. Afterwards if you're still noticing color issues to the eye then you might need to look into attempting to white balance by eye or step up further and acquire a colorimeter.

A word of warning though, don't judge colors based on end-user content, use color and test patterns and things like the Rec.709 and Rec.2020 test suites from AVSForum. As an example, Amazon Prime Video has green push on almost all of their content because of an issue in their content ingestion workflow that truncates color data outside of 8-bit (or 10-bit for HDR) range rather than dithering and remapping it. Set-top boxes that use NVIDIA hardware (e.g. anything with a Tegra) will suffer from slight red push when decoding Dolby Vision content. So it's not always the display but the source device or content itself that might cause some slight color issues to your eye.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
How many hours do you have on the panel so far? As it breaks in things are going to even out a lot so I wouldn't worry about complete color accuracy from the start. Calibrators tend to wait about 200 hours of panel use time before getting to work on OLEDs. Afterwards if you're still noticing color issues to the eye then you might need to look into attempting to white balance by eye or step up further and acquire a colorimeter.

A word of warning though, don't judge colors based on end-user content, use color and test patterns and things like the Rec.709 and Rec.2020 test suites from AVSForum. As an example, Amazon Prime Video has green push on almost all of their content because of an issue in their content ingestion workflow that truncates color data outside of 8-bit (or 10-bit for HDR) range rather than dithering and remapping it. Set-top boxes that use NVIDIA hardware (e.g. anything with a Tegra) will suffer from slight red push when decoding Dolby Vision content. So it's not always the display but the source device or content itself that might cause some slight color issues to your eye.

Probably like 40 hours at the most. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it changes over time. Thanks for the advice.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What kind of M Screws are the correct ones for the G3 TV?
The manual says M6 but I have multiple M6 Screws with different lenghts and I dont want to risk it

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have issues with AirPlay?

I have a LGCX and whenever I AirPlay photos or screen mirror from my iPhone it just brings up the AirPlay menu on the tv or a black screen.

Both my LGCX and iPhone have the latest firmware installed and both are connected to the same network. The thing is, when I AirPlay YouTube videos it works flawlessly.

I've searched around and see a lot of people have similar issues but can never seem to figure out a solution. I've tried disconnecting and connecting to the network as well and completely restarting my phone.

So anyone's had this issue?

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
Anyone else have issues with AirPlay?

I have a LGCX and whenever I AirPlay photos or screen mirror from my iPhone it just brings up the AirPlay menu on the tv or a black screen.

Both my LGCX and iPhone have the latest firmware installed and both are connected to the same network. The thing is, when I AirPlay YouTube videos it works flawlessly.

I've searched around and see a lot of people have similar issues but can never seem to figure out a solution. I've tried disconnecting and connecting to the network as well and completely restarting my phone.

So anyone's had this issue?
Not quite the same issue but I was consistently able to control my TV with my iPhone until very recently. Now Apple Home randomly tells me the TV is not responding.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
I just bought a 55" C3 - any am v excited to use my xbox series x and ps5, any must try games?!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, dumb question. I bought an AV receiver. Should my other devices like my Apple TV and PS5 be plugged into my LG CX? Or should they be plugged into the AV receiver? If I'm understanding ARC correctly, I should be able to plug the AV receiver into the ARC port on the TV, and my other devices should be fine plugged into the TV?

If I were to plug everything into the AV receiver, how would I have different video settings per device?