MattyB_84

Jan 3, 2019
I'm having a somewhat recent issue with my PS5 on my CX. I've got both set to everything suggested on the chart, but sometimes when it's shifting to the VRR, the screen goes black and stays that way. I can still hear the audio, and resetting the console usually fixes it, but it's super annoying. Is something going wrong during the VRR handshake?

Hey guys. Sorry, but I think this got lost in the shuffle about 6 pages back, and I really need help.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hey guys. Sorry, but I think this got lost in the shuffle about 6 pages back, and I really need help.
It seems an handshaking issue which may have a lot of causes behind, the most common being the cable not being good.
Triple check all settings for both TV and PS5 are the same as suggested in the OP, then also try to look at another HDMI 2.1 Certified cable (which should include a QR Code to scan and verify it).

Also try a direct connection with HDMI1 for video and HDMI2 for eARC, don't use receivers.

Last edited:

MattyB_84

Jan 3, 2019
It seems an handshaking issue which may have a lot of causes behind, the most common being the cable not being good.
Triple check all settings for both TV and PS5 are the same as suggested in the OP, then also try to look at another HDMI 2.1 Certified cable (which should include a QR Code to scan and verify it).

Also try a direct connection with HDMI1 for video and HDMI2 for eARC, don't use receivers.

It's the cable that came with the PS5 and it's plugged directly into the tv from the console. It mostly has the issue when VRR kicks in when launching a game

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Does the C1 have technology that makes 30fps feel less awful? I just bought Breath of the Wild and it feels better than other 30fps games that I've played.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Is the SDR image using game mode supposed to be very dim on the LG C2? It feels like the Oled Switch screen looks brighter playing Zelda and SDR gaming doesn't look good in general. I have all the settings set to the way it's posted on OP and have power saving and auto brightness off.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Is the SDR image using game mode supposed to be very dim on the LG C2? It feels like the Oled Switch screen looks brighter playing Zelda. I have all the settings set to the way it's posted on OP and have power saving and auto brightness off.
Crank its OLED Light to 100.
If it's still too dim you can use the Color Control app via PC to force enable Peak Brightness to Medium or High (but don't go over 90 in Game Mode with PB High).

Or you can use the forced HLG HDR method for Switch input only here

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Crank its OLED Light to 100.
If it's still too dim you can use the Color Control app via PC to force enable Peak Brightness to Medium or High (but don't go over 90 in Game Mode with PB High).

Or you can use the forced HLG HDR method for Switch input only here
I do have it at 100 and it still seemed really dim to me. I'll look into that color control app, but it sounds a bit scary to me as I have never attempted something like that. Also is there a reason you wouldn't wan to go over 90 oled light with PB high?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I do have it at 100 and it still seemed really dim to me. I'll look into that color control app, but it sounds a bit scary to me as I have never attempted something like that. Also is there a reason you wouldn't wan to go over 90 oled light with PB high?
Image retention and burn in risk will be higher in SDR when cranked to max compared to HDR.
Before trying ColorControl maybe try the HLG HDR method which doesn't require it.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I was just noticing this with TotK. I started playing a couple of hours ago and it feels so much smoother than The Witcher 3 (PS5) on Quality Mode.
The Witcher 3 (RED Engine in general iirc) has particularly bad input latency so you'll definitely comparing one of the worst experiences to one of the best jumping between those. :-P

How to do a "Short Break in process" as soon as you buy your LG OLED
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Just wanted to share some thoughts for those who just bought an LG OLED, especially a G3 or C3.

These TV will actually need a "break in" period before really stabilizing their picture and therefore what you see on Day 1 is not actually representative of the picture you will have when everything has been settled.

This will also include some initial uniformity issues you may have as soon as you turn the TV on (e.g. "jail bars", darker spots, pink tints and so on) as well as an evident "black crush" in all modes.
Most if not all of uniformity issues and Black Crush can literally fade away over time.

But How long does it take?
Well, in general around 200 hours will be necessary for the panel to properly stabilize, but if you are in a hurry and/or don't want to wait 1 year before making sure the panel has actually cleaned/improved itself (for warranty reasons) you can speed up this process.

This is my usual "Short Break in Process" I always do when buying a new LG OLED and which I did also on G3, which produced really satisfying results so far.

I actually hadn't big issues at first, just some very slight banding on 5% gray slides, a bit of pink tint in the center and noticeable black crush even with correct settings.

Then I started my process:
  1. Put the TV on Vivid (yes, Vivid) and watch some very bright and long content from YT, like this video from The Tourister for around 4 hours straight or more;
  2. Quit Vivid and now go setup all the presets like suggested in the OP for all inputs and signals (it will take you a while and you should obviously let SDR/HDR/DV contents play in the background while you do so)
  3. Once everything is properly setup (and usually before going to bed) go to General -> OLED Panel Care -> Pixel Cleaning -> Launch a Full Pixel Cleaning while on Sleep
  4. Don't touch the TV for at least 2 hours. That's why it's best to actually go to sleep as well ;)
  5. That's it. Next time you will turn on the TV and re-do the 5% gray slide check it should be MUCH better than before uniformity wise (in my case all issues where literally gone, except for a very minor pink tint left but on the edge on the display, not at the center). If you still see black crush, repeat Step 3 but just once more, and you're good to go (black crush was gone for me on the second one).
Do NOT re-do this ever again after.
You will just add unnecessary strain to the panel at this point, shortening its life span and you actually won't need it as the TV will regularly do its shorter compensation cycles when on idle.
Just don't unplug it from power outlet when turning it off and that's it.

Enjoy :)
-P

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a somewhat recent issue with my PS5 on my CX. I've got both set to everything suggested on the chart, but sometimes when it's shifting to the VRR, the screen goes black and stays that way. I can still hear the audio, and resetting the console usually fixes it, but it's super annoying. Is something going wrong during the VRR handshake?

This happens to me all the time on the PS5. Just messing around I discovered a way that resolves it 90% of the time. Press the Input button, click on Home Dashboard. You should then see the PS5 screen appear. The Home Dashboard seems to do some handshake refresh.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to reupload the 2019-2022 recommended settings picture, it appears down to me.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Just wanted to share some thoughts for those who just bought an LG OLED, especially a G3 or C3.

These TV will actually need a "break in" period before really stabilizing their picture and therefore what you see on Day 1 is not actually representative of the picture you will have when everything has been settled.

This will also include some initial uniformity issues you may have as soon as you turn the TV on (e.g. "jail bars", darker spots, pink tints and so on) as well as an evident "black crush" in all modes.
Most if not all of uniformity issues and Black Crush can literally fade away over time.

But How long does it take?
Well, in general around 200 hours will be necessary for the panel to properly stabilize, but if you are in a hurry and/or don't want to wait 1 year before making sure the panel has actually cleaned/improved itself (for warranty reasons) you can speed up this process.

This is my usual "Short Break in Process" I always do when buying a new LG OLED and which I did also on G3, which produced really satisfying results so far.

I actually hadn't big issues at first, just some very slight banding on 5% gray slides, a bit of pink tint in the center and noticeable black crush even with correct settings.

Then I started my process:
  1. Put the TV on Vivid (yes, Vivid) and watch some very bright and long content from YT, like this video from The Tourister for around 4 hours straight or more;
  2. Quit Vivid and now go setup all the presets like suggested in the OP for all inputs and signals (it will take you a while and you should obviously let SDR/HDR/DV contents play in the background while you do so)
  3. Once everything is properly setup (and usually before going to bed) go to General -> OLED Panel Care -> Pixel Cleaning -> Launch a Full Pixel Cleaning while on Sleep
  4. Don't touch the TV for at least 2 hours. That's why it's best to actually go to sleep as well ;)
  5. That's it. Next time you will turn on the TV and re-do the 5% gray slide check it should be MUCH better than before uniformity wise (in my case all issues where literally gone, except for a very minor pink tint left but on the edge on the display, not at the center). If you still see black crush, repeat Step 3 but just once more, and you're good to go (black crush was gone for me on the second one).
Do NOT re-do this ever again after.
You will just add unnecessary strain to the panel at this point, shortening its life span and you actually won't need it as the TV will regularly do its shorter compensation cycles when on idle.
Just don't unplug it from power outlet when turning it off and that's it.

Enjoy :)
-P
Very informative when/if I get my first LG OLED I will definitely follow your guide, I'm assuming it's still good for a 55C2?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to reupload the 2019-2022 recommended settings picture, it appears down to me.
You're right, it seems to be down.
I've re-uploaded it with further improvements (in part rolled back from my G3 testing).

Here's the new one for 2019-2022 Series:

LG-OLEDs-2019-2022-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v11-9.png

Last edited:

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, it seems to be down.
I've re-uploaded it with further improvements (in part rolled back from my G3 testing).

Here's the new one for 2019-2022 Series:

LG-OLEDs-2019-2022-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v11-9.png
Thanks. the default settings are really close (unless I thinkered with them earlier, I don't remember). Well, I have the B2, so most of those settings are blocked in game mode, maybe that's why. Anyway, I'm really happy to have done that.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks. the default settings are really close (unless I thinkered with them earlier, I don't remember). Well, I have the B2, so most of those settings are blocked in game mode, maybe that's why. Anyway, I'm really happy to have done that.
Yeah, if you see them blocked (but still set up as the chart) you're good still.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
G3 is sounding great, and nice work on the settings and charts mate. All this G3 chat has made me recalibrate my G1 with DV IQ, was really pleasant to see that my panel has increased from 770nits to 890 since I bought it 2000 panel hour's ago, just goes to show that they really do get brighter.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
G3 is sounding great, and nice work on the settings and charts mate. All this G3 chat has made me recalibrate my G1 with DV IQ, was really pleasant to see that my panel has increased from 770nits to 890 since I bought it 2000 panel hour's ago, just goes to show that they really do get brighter.
Yep, they really do but just keep in mind that DV IQ (and AI Brightness) makes sense only if you also watch movies in a bright room regularly, otherwise it's always better to keep the gamma in check with it disabled if you mostly consume those in a dark room.

Oh and G3 is amazing man, I really can't wait to read your opinion about it if you will also upgrade in the future.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Wondering if I should upgrade my 55 g1 to 65 S95b as it's super cheap now, anyone had an experience comparing these two? Also what is Dolby vision iq?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Wondering if I should upgrade my 55 g1 to 65 S95b as it's super cheap now, anyone had an experience comparing these two? Also what is Dolby vision iq?
I honestly would avoid S95B and also S95C (even if this is much better than the first "beta" product) for many reasons (the main ones being the noticeably less accuracy out of the box which will require a professional calibration to be on par or better than LG Filmmaker Modes, the absence of DV, the thermal throttling and aggressive ABL, the very bad track record of Samsung firmware updates and the higher risk of burn in).

I would just wait for G3 big price drops and/or see if C4 next year will also obtain the MLA panel for a cheaper price.
Also around the same period with G4 launch, G3 would become a lot cheaper and with all firmware updates on top, which should be even more interesting if you can wait.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I honestly would avoid S95B and also S95C (even if this is much better than the first "beta" product) for many reasons (the main ones being the noticeably less accuracy out of the box which will require a professional calibration to be on par or better than LG Filmmaker Modes, the absence of DV, the thermal throttling and aggressive ABL, the very bad track record of Samsung firmware updates and the higher risk of burn in).

I would just wait for G3 big price drops and/or see if C4 next year will also obtain the MLA panel for a cheaper price.
Also around the same period with G4 launch, G3 would become a lot cheaper and with all firmware updates on top, which should be even more interesting if you can wait.
There is no way I could get a 65 inch g3 for a similar price that the s95b is now. It's close to 4 times cheaper, even if it has some issues I think it's probably overall the better tv than g1 and I would also get the bonus of having a much bigger TV.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
There is no way I could get a 65 inch g3 for a similar price that the s95b is now. It's close to 4 times cheaper, even if it has some issues I think it's probably overall the better tv than g1 and I would also get the bonus of having a much bigger TV.
It costs 4 times less probably for those (and other) reasons...
You can for sure go for it, just be warned about some aspects of your purchase.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, they really do but just keep in mind that DV IQ (and AI Brightness) makes sense only if you also watch movies in a bright room regularly, otherwise it's always better to keep the gamma in check with it disabled if you mostly consume those in a dark room.

Oh and G3 is amazing man, I really can't wait to read your opinion about it if you will also upgrade in the future.

Think I agree with you on DV IQ, although hugely better after calibration on Cinema Home, that gamma even though it gives more detail, just strips away the pop that you'd get otherwise.....but somewhat good daytime setting at least, and I did DV Game whilst I was at it, and that is a great improvement too, plus I can adjust in game parameters with that at least.

I'm definitely thinking about the G3, I'll see what's what September/October time...... can't say I'm disappointed by the G1, but that's never stopped me before :00000

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Question: For the LG C2, I see that SDR brightness recommendations have all jumped to 100. What exactly caused this change and why is the max setting now the most ideal?

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
What HDR settings do you guys recommend for Hogwarts Legacy on a C9? I tried the default settings with HGIG and it is too dim for me, but DTM is atrocius in this game, it blows up every light source.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Question: For the LG C2, I see that SDR brightness recommendations have all jumped to 100. What exactly caused this change and why is the max setting now the most ideal?
Now it's 100 in SDR only for Game Mode, which is dimmer.
100 in SDR Game preset = 70-75 in SDR ISF Dark (both with Peak Brightness: Off)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw freesync and Jedi is causing some issues for me.
I had VRR off on Xbox and freesync on. But still in 60fps i felt the drops hard. I enabled VRR again and its totally gone.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Only freesync on Xbox.
Yeah, on Xbox you should never disable VRR on the console video settings for games (except for bugged games in VRR like Halo Infinite and few others).
On TV Game Optimizer menu you can then only keep AMD Freesync Premium enabled and VRR & G-Sync disabled when coupled with Xbox with VRR enabled and all should be good.

On PS5 or PC with NVIDIA cards: AMD Freesync Premium won't be native, so you can do the opposite on TV Game Optimizer: VRR & G-Sync On, AMD Freesync Premium Off.
If you have a receiver with multiple devices attached, you can keep both VRR & G-Sync + AMD Freesync Premium enabled.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
What does PC mode do and why is it recommended for consoles?
It's the opposite: it's no more recommended for consoles.
It will just make texts a bit clearer but with too many disadvantages (raised gamma, locked out Clarity settings for movies, ALLM breaking and possible VRR flickering). Don't use it except for real PC usage (working in Word/Excel, browsing, reading, graphics applications etc)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, on Xbox you should never disable VRR on the console video settings for games (except for bugged games in VRR like Halo Infinite and few others).
On TV Game Optimizer menu you can then only keep AMD Freesync Premium enabled and VRR & G-Sync disabled when coupled with Xbox with VRR enabled and all should be good.

On PS5 or PC with NVIDIA cards: AMD Freesync Premium won't be native, so you can do the opposite on TV Game Optimizer: VRR & G-Sync On, AMD Freesync Premium Off.
If you have a receiver with multiple devices attached, you can keep both VRR & G-Sync + AMD Freesync Premium enabled.
oh because the the chart says freesync only for Xbox. Thought that applied to CX also

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
oh because the the chart says freesync only for Xbox. Thought that applied to CX also
On Xbox...and PC with AMD video cards.
On CX if you enable AMD Freesync Premium on TV side it will "superseed" regular VRR, which should still always be enabled on Xbox video settings for games (like in the notes below the chart).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
On Xbox...and PC with AMD video cards.
On CX if you enable AMD Freesync Premium on TV side it will "superseed" regular VRR, which should still always be enabled on Xbox video settings for games (like in the notes below the chart).
still weird then that freesync only enabled caused issues with Jedi. Because even with VRR on. Like you said Freesync superseed it.