SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
High-end TV prices come down really quickly and really hard. 55C2 launched at 1900 in the UK I believe.
I've read it's not worth getting a C3 as it has the same screen technology as the C2 and at double the price it's a no brainer to stay or buy a C2?

Are there any other TV manufacturers that give you a TV that is comparable to the G3 but alot cheaper that I should consider that isn't OLED?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So, my G3 55" is finally arrived and after a full day of tweaking and testing I must say I am very impressed so far:

Anything I'm throwing at it just looks and moves perfectly after all was configured to my likings.
After 8 hours straight of bright HDR + 1 manual Pixel Refresh, uniformity looks great as well:

Probably it's the cleanest LG OLED I've ever had and tried with the very minor exception of a slight pink area on one side when using darkest gray patterns, which luckily is not noticeable at all when watching regular contents.
Even the slight "green tint" on the very low-end black/gray is basically invisible when watching real movies or playing games, so I feel really lucky with this unit at least.

• SDR Filmmaker Mode is much brighter even with Peak Brightness: Off to the point it now blends with dignity even with HDR/DV handshakes. It's one of the first and most impressive things I noticed;
  • ABL is so relaxed now that it has become unnoticeable even with full white transitions, providing a consistently bright (and good) image basically all the time;
  • HDR highlights of 2.000+ nits contents are blinding in a dark room, even with DTM: Off and very pleasant even when the room is bright, making DTM basically useless (at least on G3);
  • Colors are much punchier and Contrast is much higher, both providing a "3D Effect" and "Real-Life" to the image never experience on any TV before so far;
  • Gaming with properly setup SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes + ALLM: On has the same input lag of Game Optimizer presets and is the way to go. The new "Dynamic Color Boosting" is just too good to lose in Game presets and HGIG accuracy in highlights can be preserved almost identically when setting Peak HDR Luminance in both console system-level calibration and in-game HDR settings to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500, with the added benefit of better tone mapping also for those games with no Peak HDR Luminance control at all;
  • Warm 50 color temp is much better this year, less warm and even more accurate than previous years' models
  • Accuracy and processing all-around OOTB (+ minor adjustments to the presets) are superb

Overall, I personally felt the quality and performance jump with G3 in a similar way of the jump I felt when buying my first OLED compared to the previous LCD/LEDs I had at the time, which literally speaks for itself.

Now let me do some additional testing and I'll put up my new Overall Optimized Settings chart, notes and video guide for LG 2023 OLED series soon as well.

Stay tuned :)
-P

The only real "downside" I found so far was the inevitable color banding in the sky (on specific spots and if you pay attention to it) when gaming at 4K/HDR/120hz as Smooth Gradation won't work with ALLM: On (even if already visibly set to Low, so making ColorControl useless in this case).

Here the reality is that what you see is what the content actually is without any additional processing done by the TV when gaming, so you may spot it in some games and not in others (depending if the game has been graded with it in mind or not, for example if it uses a default bit of film grain to avoid it or not etc.).

I hope LG will unlock the Smooth Gradation option also with ALLM: On as it already did with Super Resolution, which still works both with ALLM: On and Game Optimizer preset and, yes, it will increase input lag when enabled as well.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I've read it's not worth getting a C3 as it has the same screen technology as the C2 and at double the price it's a no brainer to stay or buy a C2?

Are there any other TV manufacturers that give you a TV that is comparable to the G3 but alot cheaper that I should consider that isn't OLED?
Even the G3 isn't worth double the price of the C2. I'm pretty sure if you buy the C2 now you'll be very happy about it. You could also look into the Samsung S95B. Otherwise, you can also wait 5 or 6 months for prices to drop significantly on 2023 models.

TV comparable to the G3 are other 2023 high-end TVs, so they won't be any cheaper, even if they aren't OLED. I wouldn't advise going for anything other than OLED anyway if you're not using your TV in a particularly bright room (not an issue on G3 this year, but it's the first time) or playing a lot of 30fps games.

Mc Kane

Oct 31, 2017
So, my G3 55" is finally arrived and after a full day of tweaking and testing I must say I am very impressed so far:

Anything I'm throwing at it just looks and moves perfectly after all was configured to my likings.
After 8 hours straight of bright HDR + 1 manual Pixel Refresh, uniformity looks great as well:

Probably it's the cleanest LG OLED I've ever had and tried with the very minor exception of a slight pink area on one side when using darkest gray patterns, which luckily is not noticeable at all when watching regular contents.
Even the slight "green tint" on the very low-end black/gray is basically invisible when watching real movies or playing games, so I feel really lucky with this unit at least.

• SDR Filmmaker Mode is much brighter even with Peak Brightness: Off to the point it now blends with dignity even with HDR/DV handshakes. It's one of the first and most impressive things I noticed;
  • ABL is so relaxed now that it has become unnoticeable even with full white transitions, providing a consistently bright (and good) image basically all the time;
  • HDR highlights of 2.000+ nits contents are blinding in a dark room, even with DTM: Off and very pleasant even when the room is bright, making DTM basically useless (at least on G3);
  • Colors are much punchier and Contrast is much higher, both providing a "3D Effect" and "Real-Life" to the image never experience on any TV before so far;
  • Gaming with properly setup SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes + ALLM: On has the same input lag of Game Optimizer presets and is the way to go. The new "Dynamic Color Boosting" is just too good to lose in Game presets and HGIG accuracy in highlights can be preserved almost identically when setting Peak HDR Luminance in both console system-level calibration and in-game HDR settings to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500, with the added benefit of better tone mapping also for those games with no Peak HDR Luminance control at all;
  • Warm 50 color temp is much better this year, less warm and even more accurate than previous years' models
  • Accuracy and processing all-around OOTB (+ minor adjustments to the presets) are superb

Overall, I personally felt the quality and performance jump with G3 in a similar way of the jump I felt when buying my first OLED compared to the previous LCD/LEDs I had at the time, which literally speaks for itself.

Now let me do some additional testing and I'll put up my new Overall Optimized Settings chart, notes and video guide for LG 2023 OLED series soon as well.

-P

Damn, all of that sounds awesome.
My current B7 55" is on its last leg with yellows looking lime green pretty much all over the screen so I can't wait to be able to get a new model.
Since I now have the space in my new place for a larger screen, I've put myself on the wait list for a G3 77" (it's currently sold out on the only website where it was available at release here), can't wait to be blinded by the HDR brightness!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

-P
After another day of testing, I think I've finally found the best settings for G3 and 2023 Series overall, also further improving the gaming experience compared to the muted stock Game Mode + HGIG.
(I also changed my mind over DTM)

I'll record the video guide today and post everything soon... :)

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
After another day of testing, I think I've finally found the best settings for G3 and 2023 Series overall, also further improving the gaming experience compared to the muted stock Game Mode + HGIG.
(I also changed my mind over DTM)

I'll record the video guide today and post everything soon... :)
Thanks so much. I was gonna ask about your settings, I am getting mine today. Do you suggest anything I should do once I get it?

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017

Don't know if it's another weird bug or a shadow update, but I can't chose game mode in Dolby Vision picture mode. It's just not here anymore.
CX model.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Received my Panasonic DP-UB820EB and I matched the settings in the OP, but is there anything I should be doing with the player setting? I put the HDR optimizer to OLED.

Also my wife got the Zelda OLED and I just used the HDMI cable that came with that for the 820. Not certain of the specs, but I'm not noticing anything off with Apocalypse Now, so I think it has the bandwidth. But maybe someone here knows better.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Received my Panasonic DP-UB820EB and I matched the settings in the OP, but is there anything I should be doing with the player setting? I put the HDR optimizer to OLED.

Also my wife got the Zelda OLED and I just used the HDMI cable that came with that for the 820. Not certain of the specs, but I'm not noticing anything off with Apocalypse Now, so I think it has the bandwidth. But maybe someone here knows better.
You can't match the settings in the OP other than for LG OLED series (each for their specified series).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So with 30fps games making a return. I can i make it best for Oled?
30fps kinda bad in general but even more on Oled. Any settings we can do to help it abit?
anyone tips. I wanna play jedi at 30fps. But its so hard haha
Trumotion might help right? But adds latency.
Maybe some small de judder option that helps abit not add tons of latency?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
After years of incremental upgrades, LG 2023 OLED Series dramatically improved upon previous years' models, especially with G3 and its brand new MLA panel.
Luminance is much higher, ABL is much more relaxed, TPC & GSR got fixed, all presets and processing got revamped, accuracy OOTB has never been so good so all my previous Optimized Settings needed to be renewed (especially for gaming).

It's almost like buying an OLED for the first time…again. :)

Like promised, here's my Full Setup - 1 Hour Video Guide along with my Definitive Settings for it:

Optimized Settings for LG 2023+ OLED Series:

View: https://youtu.be/p7BBkRI29X4

LG-OLEDs-2023-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v13-5.png

Click for Full Screen

I'll try to explain the most noticeable changes below.​

v13.5 Changelog:
  • Just changed HDR Filmmaker Mode to HDR Cinema preset for Movies: as DTM is working differently between the two. HDR Cinema will have the "old" DTM which is better for Movies (which would be too dim/dark without it) while HDR Filmmaker Mode has the "new" DTM which is better for Games, being closer to properly setup HGIG results in highlights when games are set to 4.000 nits.

v13.4 Changelog:
  • TPC & GSR got finally fixed by LG. No more need to access the Service Menu to Disable them: also avoiding risking your 5-years warranty. Finally, movies will not auto-dim anymore while the slight games' remaining auto-dimming when leaving them fixed on the same scene for over 5-8 minutes won't be noticeable during normal gameplay;
  • For these reasons, you can safely disable the "Screen Move" feature: as this always had a very small effect in preventing burn in, so with TPC & GSR properly working you can disable it to regain a bit more sharpness and you won't notice the entire screen moving around from time to time;
  • PC Mode & 4:4:4 are still Not Recommended: even if color banding and texts are very slightly improved when using PC Mode/Input Icon (or enabling the new separate "4:4:4 Pass Through" toggle), the EOTF and colors are getting raised, noticeably drifting from accuracy when using it. PC Mode is also no more necessary to reduce input lag outside of Game Optimizer preset as ALLM: On is sufficient in doing so. I also found that Xbox Series X (with YCC 4:2:2 disabled on the console) will still be able to output a 4:4:4/RGB signal in both SDR 8-bit and HDR @ 10-bit even when using the "Game Console" icon, then it's the TV doing the subsampling, further minimizing the few remaining PC Mode advantages;
  • Quick Media Switching is Recommended: if you have a capable/certified HDMI 2.1a cable, this will reduce the "black transition" you usually see when handshaking between different signals;
  • "GAME OPTIMIZER" Sound Mode is Recommended (for Internal Speakers): to unlock Game Optimizer gaming "profiles" (when using the Game Optimizer preset) but also to preserve the Game Optimizer Menu and options (including ALLM, VRR and Fine Tune Dark Areas) also when using "non-Game" presets for gaming. You can then perform an "AI Acoustic Tuning" and Enable "BASS BOOST" to improve the internal speakers' performance for your room, but it's highly recommended to just use an external soundbar or speakers for an actually better quality;
  • Using the Game Optimizer Menu (with ALLM: On) + SDR/HDR Filmmaker presets is a better alternative to SDR/HDR Game Mode + HGIG: with the same identical low input lag as Game Modes. This because it was measured that Game Modes are not only around 100 nits dimmer, but also have the new 2023 background "Dynamic Color Boosting" technology forcefully disabled resulting in 50% less luminous colors on the higher spectrum. LG has received the user feedback for also enabling it in Game Modes but, apparently, they're not going to do anything about it for now. "Dynamic Color Boosting" was the key new feature which was able to make LG G3 not only comparable to Samsung S95C QD-OLED's color luminance, but even surpass it most of the time in SDR/HDR Filmmaker for movies, so using Game Optimizer (with ALLM: On) and SDR/HDR Filmmaker will preserve "Dynamic Color Boosting" also for gaming while keeping the lowest input lag possible. The only thing to remember using HDR Filmmaker for gaming is to set both the system-level HDR Calibration and HDR games' Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits whenever possible, while Paper White or equivalent should be set around 200 nits. Will it still be accurate without HGIG? Yes;
  • DTM is much improved, especially when coupled with HDR Filmmaker Mode: DTM now analyzes 20.000 different zones for each frame (!) instead of 5.000 and finally won't excessively overbright night/dark scenes anymore (I've already tested this with dozens of games and movies in different scenes and Peak HDR Luminance). What it does now is similar to what HGIG does: making specular highlights "punchier" and more pronounced (by always leveraging the actual Peak HDR Luminance of the TV, which is insanely high now around 1.500 nits on G3) without screwing up everything else. The only side effect is a slight elevation of black level which can be offset/fixed by just lowering the HDR Black Level setting from default 50 to 48 when using it. DTM is especially useful for completely replacing HDR Game Optimizer Preset + HGIG with HDR FMM, even in the long term (just remember to set games to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500 for G3 or 800 nits for C3 whenever possible, but if you can't: DTM will also better accommodate any other "fixed" HDR game as well) while it will have a very minor (but pleasant) difference in Movies (which do have metadata) between DTM: On and Off;
  • Prevent Input Delay: STANDARD is Recommended for always 120hz signals (as Xbox) while BOOST for 60hz signals: this because BOOST has no input lag effect with 120hz signals but could still raise gamma a bit. Better use it only for 60hz only signals (as Nintendo Switch or 60hz gaming on PS5). If you use a receiver with multiple consoles attached, leave it on BOOST. Gaming with ALLM: On + SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes will force it to STANDARD;
  • SDR FILMMAKER MODE (with Color 55) and HDR FILMMAKER MODE (with DTM: On + Black Level: 48), DV Cinema Home (with Black Level: 48) are now Recommended for Movies: SDR/HDR FMM are the most accurate presets OOTB and the closest match to a Sony HX310 (30k$ Hollywood Reference Monitor 👀) using a G3, which basically means they're pre-calibrated from the factory and you don't even actually need an in-place calibration as you wouldn't notice any difference by naked eye after (crazy stuff!) and DTM: On on top of this is not making a big difference for Movies. For Dolby Vision the "DV Cinema" preset, instead, even if it's the most accurate on paper, presents visible black crush OOTB and a much more "muted" presentation over HDR FMM with similar "real-world" contents outside of patterns and benchmarks (even with DTM: Off), therefore DV Cinema Home is more universally recommendable as it's actually closer to HDR FMM with DTM: On (great) rendition: just decrease HDR Black Level value from 50 to 48 also for it;
  • SDR Recommended Gamma is back to BT.1886 both for Movies and Games: with just a minor Method: 22 Point Signal Level(%) luminance adjustment to improve dark detail;
  • Smooth Gradation: LOW is now Recommended for Movies: as this is very effective in removing basically all color banding and macroblocking artefacts without losing fine details. Unfortunately, it can't be enabled for gaming when ALLM is On so you may notice additional color banding in 4K/120hz/HDR10 games and the only solutions for this are waiting for LG to enable it also for gaming or just to improve color banding in games over time via firmware updates;
  • Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction to LOW are good now (for Streaming & TV): as those will preserve original film grain in movies while visibly removing macroblocking or other compression artifacts without ruining fine details. Those are Recommended for streaming services (with compresses their video sources by definition) and regular TV, but you may turn them off for 4K/HDR Blu-Rays;
  • Sharpness slider is much better than previous years: as even cranking it up to 50 will not introduce that bad haloing or over sharpening artifacts as before. You can literally increase it up to 20 to make regular TV & Streaming picture clearer, sharper and apparently higher resolution without any visible downsides. It's better to keep it at 0 or 10 for 4K/HDR Blu-Rays;
  • Super Resolution: Low does a good job coupled with Sharpness 20: as it will slightly improve texts and textures' definition without screwing up anything else or creating visible over sharpening artefacts. With Sharpness 25 its effect will noticeably increase and could only be useful for very low res contents (480p/i, 720p/i or bad 1080p/i), especially with Super Resolution: HIGH. Also notice this will increase input lag a small bit, so it's better to turn it completely off for XSX and PS5;
  • TruMotion: Cinematic Movement is good…but can be better: as for previous models, the new TruMotion: Cinematic Movement setting really helped in removing the inherent stutters of 24p contents but still didn't completely remove the noticeable Soap Opera effect in many scenes. On G3 I found that TruMotion set to "User Selection" with De-Judder: 2 and De-Blur: 2 provided the smoothest 24p movement without noticeable SoE. This has become even more needed with G3 as MLA and the increased brightness exacerbated the inherent 24p stutters on OLED panels (even with Real Cinema enabled). A correctly setup Motion Interpolation (with a 120hz panel) will solve that;
  • AI Brightness and all other AI Picture settings are now Recommended to Off in all modes: as those may have the opposite effects than wanted, for example further dimming the screen in already accurate modes (for a dark room) when small light sources are detected in the room or messing around with Color Temperature (which is great as is at Warm 50) or with skin tones and contrasts. You don't want that;
  • DV for Gaming was Not Recommended before and it's even Less Recommended now: Disable "DV for Games" on Xbox advanced video settings and stick with Game Optimizer Menu (with ALLM: On) + HDR Filmmaker (with DTM: On + Black Level: 48) + Console & Games set to 4.000 nits Peak HDR Luminance for the absolute best results for gaming. You can keep regular "Dolby Vision" for Movies enabled;
  • Fine Tune Dark Areas setting was changed to -4: to better reflect the black levels rendition between VRR: Off and On. Just remember that each preset and input (SDR/HDR/DV) has an independent FTDA setting to setup through the Game Optimizer menu;
  • 2023+ Overall Settings Chart overhaul: all settings got renamed and reordered in a more coherent way to reflect the new TVs, many new settings were added and a lot of values got re-tweaked after new analysis and direct testing. So please, ignore any previous chart a re-start from here if you have a 2023 LG OLED or newer;
  • ALL my personally curated in-game Optimized Settings for 200+ HDR Games got updated and aligned for G3 and latest 2023 series' settings as well. You can find them by kindly following/supporting my work here.

Enjoy the next generation of LG OLEDs: Optimized! 😉

-P

Last edited:

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Anyone have an opinion on how much of an upgrade the G3 is vs the G1?
Quite the jump in a bright room. It's really a much brighter TV that can also hit higher color saturation at high luminance. The anti-reflection filter is also a lot better, and uniformity seems noticeably improved across the board, but panel lottery is very much still a thing (I have a slight pink tint on the center of my display for example, but dark uniformity is fantastic for a WOLED).

In most other ways, it's still an incremental upgrade. I wouldn't recommend upgrading if you're happy with your G1 and don't need the higher brightness.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
It's posts like this that make me reconsider getting an oled! Back to square one and confused again.
24fps and 30fps will look "stuttery" on all OLEDs due to their pixels' "Near Instant Response Time".
This basically means that the TV is so good in having almost no blur at all during movement that those contents will exactly look for what they are.

For movies both judders and stutter can be fixed using Real Cinema + TruMotion set to 2;2, while for games just avoid to play at 30fps and stick to 60fps (which luckily has become much more common in this console generation) or try the new "40fps" optional modes that many games are now offering for 120hz TVs, which will look so much better than 30fps and still enjoyable.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
24fps and 30fps will look "stuttery" on all OLEDs due to their pixels' "Near Instant Response Time".
This basically means that the TV is so good in having almost no blur at all during movement that those contents will exactly look for what they are.

For movies both judders and stutter can be fixed using Real Cinema + TruMotion set to 2;2, while for games just avoid to play at 30fps and stick to 60fps (which luckily has become much more common in this console generation) or try the new "40fps" optional modes that many games are now offering for 120hz TVs, which will look so much better than 30fps and still enjoyable.
Thanks for this.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You can't match the settings in the OP other than for LG OLED series (each for their specified series).

Whoops. I should have specified I have an LG OLED48C2PUA and just got the Panasonic DP-UB820EB which is a 4K Blu-ray player. I matched the settings in the OP for the proper content profiles (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision) for movies.

I was wondering if there anything in the settings of the Disc Player that I should change or make sure are enabled for the best viewing experience.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Whoops. I should have specified I have an LG OLED48C2PUA and just got the Panasonic DP-UB820EB which is a 4K Blu-ray player. I matched the settings in the OP for the proper content profiles (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision) for movies.

I was wondering if there anything in the settings of the Disc Player that I should change or make sure are enabled for the best viewing experience.
Oh, ok then :)
From the disc player I would just double check that the output is 4:2:2 for movies along with RGB Limited Color Space and all the rest is set to "Auto", then you should be good to go.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
anyone tips. I wanna play jedi at 30fps. But its so hard haha
Trumotion might help right? But adds latency.
Maybe some small de judder option that helps abit not add tons of latency?
You have two options :
  • Force yourself to play it for a hour or two and hopefully your brain will adapt (as long as you don't switch to a better performing game)
  • Try the Black Frame Insertion feature if your set offers it and you can accept the lower perceived brightness
Trumotion adds a lot of latency and I think it wouldn't offer great results visually either with a very noisy game like Jedi.

Dec 14, 2022
Watched DUNE yesterday, after getting a service remote and disabling all the faulty auto-dimming features on my LG CX and wow, it's like a complete different movie now.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
After years of incremental upgrades, LG 2023 OLED Series dramatically improved upon previous years' models, especially with G3 and its brand new MLA panel.
Luminance is much higher, ABL is much more relaxed, TPC & GSR got fixed, all presets and processing got revamped, accuracy OOTB has never been so good so all my previous Optimized Settings needed to be renewed (especially for gaming).

It's almost like buying an OLED for the first time…again. :)

Like promised, here's my Full Setup - 1 Hour Video Guide along with my Definitive Settings for it:

Optimized Settings for LG 2023+ OLED Series:

View: https://youtu.be/p7BBkRI29X4

LG-OLEDs-2023-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v13-4.png

Click for Full Screen

I'll try to explain the most noticeable changes below.​

v13.4 Changelog:
  • TPC & GSR got finally fixed by LG. No more need to access the Service Menu to Disable them: also avoiding risking your 5-years warranty. Finally, movies will not auto-dim anymore while the slight games' remaining auto-dimming when leaving them fixed on the same scene for over 5-8 minutes won't be noticeable during normal gameplay;
  • For these reasons, you can safely disable the "Screen Move" feature: as this always had a very small effect in preventing burn in, so with TPC & GSR properly working you can disable it to regain a bit more sharpness and you won't notice the entire screen moving around from time to time;
  • PC Mode & 4:4:4 are still Not Recommended: even if color banding and texts are very slightly improved when using PC Mode/Input Icon (or enabling the new separate "4:4:4 Pass Through" toggle), the EOTF and colors are getting raised, noticeably drifting from accuracy when using it. PC Mode is also no more necessary to reduce input lag outside of Game Optimizer preset as ALLM: On is sufficient in doing so. I also found that Xbox Series X (with YCC 4:2:2 disabled on the console) will still be able to output a 4:4:4/RGB signal in both SDR 8-bit and HDR @ 10-bit even when using the "Game Console" icon, then it's the TV doing the subsampling, further minimizing the few remaining PC Mode advantages;
  • Quick Media Switching is Recommended: if you have a capable/certified HDMI 2.1a cable, this will reduce the "black transition" you usually see when handshaking between different signals;
  • "GAME OPTIMIZER" Sound Mode is Recommended (for Internal Speakers): to unlock Game Optimizer gaming "profiles" (when using the Game Optimizer preset) but also to preserve the Game Optimizer Menu and options (including ALLM, VRR and Fine Tune Dark Areas) also when using "non-Game" presets for gaming. You can then perform an "AI Acoustic Tuning" and Enable "BASS BOOST" to improve the internal speakers' performance for your room, but it's highly recommended to just use an external soundbar or speakers for an actually better quality;
  • Using the Game Optimizer Menu (with ALLM: On) + SDR/HDR Filmmaker presets is a better alternative to SDR/HDR Game Mode + HGIG: with the same identical low input lag as Game Modes. This because it was measured that Game Modes are not only around 100 nits dimmer, but also have the new 2023 background "Dynamic Color Boosting" technology forcefully disabled resulting in 50% less luminous colors on the higher spectrum. LG has received the user feedback for also enabling it in Game Modes but, apparently, they're not going to do anything about it for now. "Dynamic Color Boosting" was the key new feature which was able to make LG G3 not only comparable to Samsung S95C QD-OLED's color luminance, but even surpass it most of the time in SDR/HDR Filmmaker for movies, so using Game Optimizer (with ALLM: On) and SDR/HDR Filmmaker will preserve "Dynamic Color Boosting" also for gaming while keeping the lowest input lag possible. The only thing to remember using HDR Filmmaker for gaming is to set both the system-level HDR Calibration and HDR games' Peak HDR Luminance to 4.000 nits whenever possible, while Paper White or equivalent should be set around 200 nits. Will it still be accurate without HGIG? Yes;
  • DTM is much improved, especially when coupled with HDR Filmmaker Mode: DTM now analyzes 20.000 different zones for each frame (!) instead of 5.000 and finally won't excessively overbright night/dark scenes anymore (I've already tested this with dozens of games and movies in different scenes and Peak HDR Luminance). What it does now is similar to what HGIG does: making specular highlights "punchier" and more pronounced (by always leveraging the actual Peak HDR Luminance of the TV, which is insanely high now around 1.500 nits on G3) without screwing up everything else. The only side effect is a slight elevation of black level which can be offset/fixed by just lowering the HDR Black Level setting from default 50 to 48 when using it. DTM is especially useful for completely replacing HDR Game Optimizer Preset + HGIG with HDR FMM, even in the long term (just remember to set games to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500 for G3 or 800 nits for C3 whenever possible, but if you can't: DTM will also better accommodate any other "fixed" HDR game as well) while it will have a very minor (but pleasant) difference in Movies (which do have metadata) between DTM: On and Off;
  • Prevent Input Delay: STANDARD is Recommended for always 120hz signals (as Xbox) while BOOST for 60hz signals: this because BOOST has no input lag effect with 120hz signals but could still raise gamma a bit. Better use it only for 60hz only signals (as Nintendo Switch or 60hz gaming on PS5). If you use a receiver with multiple consoles attached, leave it on BOOST. Gaming with ALLM: On + SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes will force it to STANDARD;
  • SDR FILMMAKER MODE (with Color 55) and HDR FILMMAKER MODE (with DTM: On + Black Level: 48), DV Cinema Home (with Black Level: 48) are now Recommended for Movies: SDR/HDR FMM are the most accurate presets OOTB and the closest match to a Sony HX310 (30k$ Hollywood Reference Monitor 👀) using a G3, which basically means they're pre-calibrated from the factory and you don't even actually need an in-place calibration as you wouldn't notice any difference by naked eye after (crazy stuff!) and DTM: On on top of this is not making a big difference for Movies. For Dolby Vision the "DV Cinema" preset, instead, even if it's the most accurate on paper, presents visible black crush OOTB and a much more "muted" presentation over HDR FMM with similar "real-world" contents outside of patterns and benchmarks (even with DTM: Off), therefore DV Cinema Home is more universally recommendable as it's actually closer to HDR FMM with DTM: On (great) rendition: just decrease HDR Black Level value from 50 to 48 also for it;
  • SDR Recommended Gamma is back to BT.1886 both for Movies and Games: with just a minor Method: 22 Point Signal Level(%) luminance adjustment to improve dark detail;
  • Smooth Gradation: LOW is now Recommended for Movies: as this is very effective in removing basically all color banding and macroblocking artefacts without losing fine details. Unfortunately, it can't be enabled for gaming when ALLM is On so you may notice additional color banding in 4K/120hz/HDR10 games and the only solutions for this are waiting for LG to enable it also for gaming or just to improve color banding in games over time via firmware updates;
  • Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction to LOW are good now (for Streaming & TV): as those will preserve original film grain in movies while visibly removing macroblocking or other compression artifacts without ruining fine details. Those are Recommended for streaming services (with compresses their video sources by definition) and regular TV, but you may turn them off for 4K/HDR Blu-Rays;
  • Sharpness slider is much better than previous years: as even cranking it up to 50 will not introduce that bad haloing or over sharpening artifacts as before. You can literally increase it up to 20 to make regular TV & Streaming picture clearer, sharper and apparently higher resolution without any visible downsides. It's better to keep it at 0 or 10 for 4K/HDR Blu-Rays;
  • Super Resolution: Low does a good job coupled with Sharpness 20: as it will slightly improve texts and textures' definition without screwing up anything else or creating visible over sharpening artefacts. With Sharpness 25 its effect will noticeably increase and could only be useful for very low res contents (480p/i, 720p/i or bad 1080p/i), especially with Super Resolution: HIGH. Also notice this will increase input lag a small bit, so it's better to turn it completely off for XSX and PS5;
  • TruMotion: Cinematic Movement is good…but can be better: as for previous models, the new TruMotion: Cinematic Movement setting really helped in removing the inherent stutters of 24p contents but still didn't completely remove the noticeable Soap Opera effect in many scenes. On G3 I found that TruMotion set to "User Selection" with De-Judder: 2 and De-Blur: 2 provided the smoothest 24p movement without noticeable SoE. This has become even more needed with G3 as MLA and the increased brightness exacerbated the inherent 24p stutters on OLED panels (even with Real Cinema enabled). A correctly setup Motion Interpolation (with a 120hz panel) will solve that;
  • AI Brightness and all other AI Picture settings are now Recommended to Off in all modes: as those may have the opposite effects than wanted, for example further dimming the screen in already accurate modes (for a dark room) when small light sources are detected in the room or messing around with Color Temperature (which is great as is at Warm 50) or with skin tones and contrasts. You don't want that;
  • DV for Gaming was Not Recommended before and it's even Less Recommended now: Disable "DV for Games" on Xbox advanced video settings and stick with Game Optimizer Menu (with ALLM: On) + HDR Filmmaker (with DTM: On + Black Level: 48) + Console & Games set to 4.000 nits Peak HDR Luminance for the absolute best results for gaming. You can keep regular "Dolby Vision" for Movies enabled;
  • Fine Tune Dark Areas setting was changed to -4: to better reflect the black levels rendition between VRR: Off and On. Just remember that each preset and input (SDR/HDR/DV) has an independent FTDA setting to setup through the Game Optimizer menu;
  • 2023+ Overall Settings Chart overhaul: all settings got renamed and reordered in a more coherent way to reflect the new TVs, many new settings were added and a lot of values got re-tweaked after new analysis and direct testing. So please, ignore any previous chart a re-start from here if you have a 2023 LG OLED or newer;
  • ALL my personally curated in-game Optimized Settings for 200+ HDR Games got updated and aligned for G3 and latest 2023 series' settings as well. You can find them by kindly following/supporting my work here.

Enjoy the next generation of LG OLEDs: Optimized! 😉

-P

wow, very thorough.

I hope for a future where TV companies can make things as easy as plug and play and you get the best calibrated settings possible for any given device from a calibrated source of truth. Too many settings to tweak it's overwhelming. Or maybe I'm also getting old. or maybe both lol

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Cinema Clear is worse than Cinematic Movement.
Try setting TruMotion to User with De-Judder 2, De-Blur 2 instead. If you notice Soap Opera effect or artifacs try 1,1

Done! Didn't know those were different. I check back every few months to tinker and your updates have been a godsend!

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Nintendo Switch & C2 settings:

Followed the guide but I'm not quite happy.
Should I set gamme to 1.8 and use fine tune dark areas? Any other recommendations? Super resolution is on and sharpness @ 25.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thank you for your wonderful work, I appreciate that. One question though, I do not have soundbar yet, so in that case do you suggest AI Sound Pro or Game Optimizer for gaming and non-gaming content?
Yes, try the Game Optimizer Sound Preset + AI Sound Pro / AI Game Sound Pro activated, then do an AI Acoustic Tuning for your room and enable Bass Boost in the end.

Don't expect miracles tho, the internal spekers will stay mediocre at best...

fcg44

Feb 5, 2023
P40L0 amazing work on the new 2023 recommended settings!!! I have a couple questions as I'm seeing numerous answers here in the thread and kinda confused now lol…

Firstly, if I have a PC with Nvidia GPU connected to C2, why is it still recommended to use Game Console input vs PC input?

Also, for games that DON'T have any HDR calibration sliders or adjustable settings, would DTM On or Off be more accurate? I thought originally it was DTM On, but in your optimized settings for Jedi Survivor you say Off?