PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I'm love my oled overall but damn if it isn't a bandy mess in hdr. Flying through the clouds in horizon is terrible because of that

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I'm love my oled overall but damn if it isn't a bandy mess in hdr. Flying through the clouds in horizon is terrible because of that
Color banding or are you seeing lots of dark vertical bands? If it's excessive to the point of bothering you in normal content I'd utilize your warranty and get a panel exchange. My first C7 panel was awful with full blown jail bars all over the screen, whereas my replacement panel had much fainter ones that were thicker but more near the edges and much less noticeable.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Color banding or are you seeing lots of dark vertical bands? If it's excessive to the point of bothering you in normal content I'd utilize your warranty and get a panel exchange. My first C7 panel was awful with full blown jail bars all over the screen, whereas my replacement panel had much fainter ones that were thicker but more near the edges and much less noticeable.
It's color banding, my previous b7 was a nightmare in regards to vertical banding, but my current g1 is perfect.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Just to add after playing 60fps games most of the time on my current KS9000 LCD I struggle and avoid going back to 30fps.

So if I stick to 60fps in games judder isn't an issue and VRR only works with 60fps games?

If there a judder issue on oled when watching TV shows and movies when used with streaming services or can I expect similar results as my current LCD?
30fps games are awful on OLED and much worse feeling than on the average LCD.

60fps is absolutely fine. VRR works way below that range too, but the actual bounds may depend on the panel (it should at least work down to 48fps on most devices IIRC).
My C7's replacement panel had awful uniformity and a lot of visible vertical and horizontal bands. I'm happy to report that the G3 that has just replaced it is 1000% better at all of this. It was one of my main concerns with this purchase as I couldn't handle 5 more years of distracting defects, but it must have been drastically improved across the board on all recent panels.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
This is a stupid ask, but can anyone with a newer LG oled tell me if they produce a lot of heat?

I can feel a lot of heat from my 65 c9, in the front and lower to the base

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
My LG C2 just went briefly black (off?) during Jedi Survivor on PS5 and came immediately back (?) Incl. HDR logo in the upper right corner. So... was it the fault of the buggy mess that Jedi Survivor is? Or my PS5? Or my brand new OLED? Anyone experienced something similar with the LG?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I'm really not a fan of the C1s sound, so I'm looking at soundbars and there's a pretty big problem, the C1 stand is super low and I'm pretty sure any available soundbar would cover part of the screen. And it seems like all the solutions cost a lot of money or make the TV look ugly :/

I've found the the AI audio to be terrible, cinema seems like the best mode ATM.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
My LG C2 just went briefly black (off?) during Jedi Survivor on PS5 and came immediately back (?) Incl. HDR logo in the upper right corner. So... was it the fault of the buggy mess that Jedi Survivor is? Or my PS5? Or my brand new OLED? Anyone experienced something similar with the LG?

Oh that just happened to me today. Also with Jedi Survivor on PS5. Same exact thing on my LG C1. I thought the power had gone out for a moment. Never seen that before until today. Bizarre.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Guys am I seeing things or is Dolby Vision Standard mode smoother than DV Cinema mode? It looks like it's running at a higher refresh rate.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Guys am I seeing things or is Dolby Vision Standard mode smoother than DV Cinema mode? It looks like it's running at a higher refresh rate.
Standard is going to have one of the TruMotion frame interpolation settings turned on. Cinema turns it off by default and Cinema Home turns it on to Cinematic Movement iirc. You can check under Picture -> Advanced Settings -> Clarity -> TruMotion.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Standard is going to have one of the TruMotion frame interpolation settings turned on. Cinema turns it off by default and Cinema Home turns it on to Cinematic Movement iirc. You can check under Picture -> Advanced Settings -> Clarity -> TruMotion.

OK, thanks. I'm trying to match the settings in the guide, although I do prefer standard over cinema which is a bit too dark for me. One annoying thing is it seems to reset my custom settings whenever I change mode so I have to redo them.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
OK, thanks. I'm trying to match the settings in the guide, although I do prefer standard over cinema which is a bit too dark for me. One annoying thing is it seems to reset my custom settings whenever I change mode so I have to redo them.
If you want a brighter Dolby Vision picture you should use Cinema Home with AI Brightness enabled under General -> AI Service.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
If you want a brighter Dolby Vision picture you should use Cinema Home with AI Brightness enabled under General -> AI Service.

I've set that now and it looks good, still maybe a little dark at times but maybe I'm just not used to such good blacks. How much impact does the room lighting make? Is it better to have a darker or lighter room? I have smart bulbs and blackout curtains so I can pretty much go from pitch black to as bright as the sun.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I've set that now and it looks good, still maybe a little dark at times but maybe I'm just not used to such good blacks. How much impact does the room lighting make? Is it better to have a darker or lighter room? I have smart bulbs and blackout curtains so I can pretty much go from pitch black to as bright as the sun.
For HDR content and OLED in general, darker is better. Your eyes will find it easier to see all of the darker shadow details and highlights will appear more brilliant. But the way that AI Brightness setting works is there's a little light detector in the TV and the AI algorithm will adjust the EOTF curve of Dolby Vision content depending on detected light level. So if it sees the room is brighter, it raises the brightness to compensate, and if it sees the room is dark, it matches closer to the proper EOTF curve of the Cinema mode (more accurate).

I tend to use Cinema Home for daytime viewing and switch over to Cinema for nighttime viewing. But I'm also someone who likes to aim for accuracy, however I'll always suggest that anyone try both for a while (long enough to let your eyes adjust, so say a full movie or TV episode without changing back and forth) and just do what looks good to you. I'm not going to be watching your TV, you will be, so you should enjoy it the way you want. 👍

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that just happened to me today. Also with Jedi Survivor on PS5. Same exact thing on my LG C1. I thought the power had gone out for a moment. Never seen that before until today. Bizarre.

Thanks for answering. And yes, i also thought the power had gone. Seems related to Jedi Survivor then....maybe an 'almost crash'? Or/and a brief HDCP handshake issue caused by it?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not a fan of the C1s sound, so I'm looking at soundbars and there's a pretty big problem, the C1 stand is super low and I'm pretty sure any available soundbar would cover part of the screen. And it seems like all the solutions cost a lot of money or make the TV look ugly :/

I've found the the AI audio to be terrible, cinema seems like the best mode ATM.

Yeah, this is a bit of a classic issue. The 'simple', if slightly jank, option is most likely to find something you can rest the stand on for the additional height - and then potentially use a given soundbar to hide anyway

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019

You could get some wood paint it your desired colour to raise the TV or buy a universal height adjustable stand.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018

Last year I bought an LG SP11RA soundbar to pair with my 55" LG CX and I had to buy a wall shelf table with cabinet's matching color to solve the problem.

It's almost invisible as the soundbar completely covers it and the TV is perfectly raised.

Now decided to upgrade the TV with a 65" LG C2 and use the same trick. It's flawless.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Happened across a C2 on marketplace for $1k. Buying used, I know, I know. But hypothetically.

Is it possible to buy a warranty from LG after the fact? Would I need his proof of purchase? He's had it just over a year if that matters.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a C2 yesterday, my first OLED TV and loving it. I have only used it with my Series X so far (waiting on cable delivery from Amazon) and it looks amazing in HDR (currently playing Jedi Survivor with Dolby Vision and VRR) but my only small issue I have is that the Xbox dashboard (so when in SDR) seems a bit dark.

I have gone through the matrix in the OP and all my settings appears to be as indicated there so I'm not sure if this is just normal with an OLED? It doesn't necessarly feels "broken" per se but it's DEFINITELY darker and less bright than when HDR is turned on.

Maybe I'm just really used to my old TCL LCD tv from 2018 and I'll get used to the C2 lol.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a C2 yesterday, my first OLED TV and loving it. I have only used it with my Series X so far (waiting on cable delivery from Amazon) and it looks amazing in HDR (currently playing Jedi Survivor with Dolby Vision and VRR) but my only small issue I have is that the Xbox dashboard (so when in SDR) seems a bit dark.

I have gone through the matrix in the OP and all my settings appears to be as indicated there so I'm not sure if this is just normal with an OLED? It doesn't necessarly feels "broken" per se but it's DEFINITELY darker and less bright than when HDR is turned on.

Maybe I'm just really used to my old TCL LCD tv from 2018 and I'll get used to the C2 lol.
It is darker and less bright without HDR. You get used to it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
It is darker and less bright without HDR. You get used to it.
All right thanks!

Next question, with my Roku TV I was able to use a Webhook API to do HTTP Calls to the TV and control it from my PC (and Stream Deck) to turn it on and off, change input, etc.

Anybody knows if there's something similar for the LG? I found the app "Color Control" that lets you control stuff on the TV but seems like all it does is simulate the mobile app and navigate the menus for you which is not great...

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
All right thanks!

Next question, with my Roku TV I was able to use a Webhook API to do HTTP Calls to the TV and control it from my PC (and Stream Deck) to turn it on and off, change input, etc.

Anybody knows if there's something similar for the LG? I found the app "Color Control" that lets you control stuff on the TV but seems like all it does is simulate the mobile app and navigate the menus for you which is not great...
This looks like what you're looking for: https://github.com/Danovadia/lgtv-http-server

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So with 30fps games making a return. I can i make it best for Oled?
30fps kinda bad in general but even more on Oled. Any settings we can do to help it abit?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if there's a way to make it so Windows 11 doesn't completely forget the TV (plugged via HDMI) exists when it's turned off? Right now, if I wake my PC up in the morning without turning the TV on first Windows just think that I'm back to two monitors. The app I normally put on my TV (Playnite) is now on my main monitor and I have lost the audio output.

This is really annoying

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
On my LG CX, what does Real Cinema do? My LG says it's something about aspect ratio. Google says it's about framerate. I'm confused.
I'd re-read that tip on the LG itself, it shouldn't say anything about aspect ratio. Real Cinema removes judder from your video content by attempting to match the content to a proper display refresh rate. For instance, if you playback 24 Hz content it will enable 5:5 pulldown so that each frame is shown for five refreshes in a 120 Hz window to prevent judder. Without it, if your device was set to 60 Hz and you played 24 Hz content, additional judder would appear because 24 Hz does not evenly fit into a 60 Hz window. It's best to leave Real Cinema on as the TV will know when to apply the feature. It's not going to be available in Game Mode as far as I remember.

Dec 14, 2022
I'd re-read that tip on the LG itself, it shouldn't say anything about aspect ratio. Real Cinema removes judder from your video content by attempting to match the content to a proper display refresh rate. For instance, if you playback 24 Hz content it will enable 5:5 pulldown so that each frame is shown for five refreshes in a 120 Hz window to prevent judder. Without it, if your device was set to 60 Hz and you played 24 Hz content, additional judder would appear because 24 Hz does not evenly fit into a 60 Hz window. It's best to leave Real Cinema on as the TV will know when to apply the feature. It's not going to be available in Game Mode as far as I remember.
I hear you. Thanks a lot.

I just checked the tip the LG gives me and it says, "Real Cinema adjusts the aspect ratio to mimic the real cinema experience". Maybe it's a wrong translation from the original English text.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I hear you. Thanks a lot.

I just checked the tip the LG gives me and it says, "Real Cinema adjusts the aspect ratio to mimic the real cinema experience". Maybe it's a wrong translation from the original English text.
Wow that is weird lol, that's a completely inaccurate description of what it does. I think I see how the translation error happened though. On LG C1 that setting has been renamed "Cinema Screen" and it says "Adjust the frame ratio in the same way with the movie and it provides the feeling of the movie theater." They need some better QA on those tooltips. Even frame ratio is easy to misunderstand but I guess 5:5 is a ratio, just not how you'd usually describe pulldown.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
Today will be a good day... :)

Mine is coming on 4th. Can't wait. Looking forward to your feedback/settings.
I'm considering getting my first Oled so I thought maybe I'll get the new G3, then I saw the price and it's double!!!! The price of the C2 in the UK, so that's a big NO, will the 55C2 be perfect for the PS5?
Beside the size, you can't go wrong with C1/C2. There is no point in buying C3, as C series has mostly been iterative.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Got a weird bug on my CX, I can't change the brightness in SDR. Even if I switch between picture modes, the brightness stay the same. I can go to the picture setting and put brightness to 100 or 0 and it does nothing. I hope a full shutdown will solve the issue, don't want to factory reset or worse call LG customers service.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Done the full shutdown and it wiped out all my setting in a weird way

Really hope the motherboard of the TV will not fail on me.

Edit: after switching between inputs, everything seems in order. Weird bug.

Last edited:

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I've been looking at a ton of soundbars and I like the look of the Sony HT-G700, it's 3.1 with Dolby Atmos for under £300. Is this my best bet at the price point? I definitely want Atmos support and a seperate sub. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-g700
That's a pretty good deal for that soundbar. I wouldn't go in expecting anything out of Atmos though, that soundbar downmixes any Atmos content to stereo and then applies a sort of virtual surround to it. So you're losing channel separation for a fake virtual surround effect. Might be better to see if there's a 5.1 setup in that price range. I'd take more channels over fake Atmos. This soundbar is kind of like how some TVs are "HDR" but really they just accept and process the HDR signal and then display it in SDR.

www.rtings.com

Sony HT-G700 Review

The Sony HT-G700 is a 3.1 channel soundbar from 2020. It can support all common audio formats via its HDMI ARC and Full HDMI In ports, and if you like to watch m...

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
That's a pretty good deal for that soundbar. I wouldn't go in expecting anything out of Atmos though, that soundbar downmixes any Atmos content to stereo and then applies a sort of virtual surround to it. So you're losing channel separation for a fake virtual surround effect. Might be better to see if there's a 5.1 setup in that price range. I'd take more channels over fake Atmos. This soundbar is kind of like how some TVs are "HDR" but really they just accept and process the HDR signal and then display it in SDR.

www.rtings.com

Sony HT-G700 Review

The Sony HT-G700 is a 3.1 channel soundbar from 2020. It can support all common audio formats via its HDMI ARC and Full HDMI In ports, and if you like to watch m...

Ah ok, so maybe something like this then? https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-s40r, it does go under £300 in sales quite often.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe how amazing the C9 was for its time

Ive had a C6, which i changed for a C9 for the new gen (HDMI 2.1 / 120hz and so on) . 65C9
Then i bought a 77CX for the living room and put the C9 in my bedroom. Yet i cant see any difference between them (im no professionnal, but i calibrated at what i like and it looks stunningly the same on both).
Then i bought a C2 for my parents last year..... cant see any difference almost for common use.
The C9 was the best deal and can last until the panel does ....Much better for its time than my C6 was

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I cant believe how amazing the C9 was for its time

Ive had a C6, which i changed for a C9 for the new gen (HDMI 2.1 / 120hz and so on) . 65C9
Then i bought a 77CX for the living room and put the C9 in my bedroom. Yet i cant see any difference between them (im no professionnal, but i calibrated at what i like and it looks stunningly the same on both).
Then i bought a C2 for my parents last year..... cant see any difference almost for common use.
The C9 was the best deal and can last until the panel does ....Much better for its time than my C6 was
Yes, the jump from 2016-2018 series to the C9 was generational, especially for gaming.

Yesterday G3 arrived and I felt the same generational jump, not only for gaming but for everything, in a similar way to getting my first OLED compared to what I had before all over again.

After a full day of testing I'll post some photos and first impressions later today.

Also already working on the new 2023 Optimized Settings obviously... :)

Last edited:

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Yes, the jump from 2016-2018 series to the C9 was generational, especially for gaming.

Yesterday G3 arrived and I felt the same generational jump, not only for gaming but for everything, in a similar way to getting my first OLED compared to what I had before all over again.

After a full day of testing I'll post some photos and first impressions later today.

Also already working on the new 2023 Optimized Settings obviously... :)

I might upgrade to C4 (2024), I've the C1 right now. Feels like it would make sense then.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
If C4 will also get MLA next year, yes, otherwise you'll find G3 for cheaper around that time.
You can't go wrong :)
You guys talking about the future C4 which doesn't exist yet and the current G3 are making me consider hanging on to my 49KS9000 longer instead of stepping into the OLED world with a 55C2! But the G3 costs silly money here £2600 compared to £1200 for the C2.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So, my G3 55" is finally arrived and after a full day of tweaking and testing I must say I am very impressed so far:

Anything I'm throwing at it just looks and moves perfectly after all was configured to my likings.
After 8 hours straight of bright HDR + 1 manual Pixel Refresh, uniformity looks great as well:

Probably it's the cleanest LG OLED I've ever had and tried with the very minor exception of a slight pink area on one side when using darkest gray patterns, which luckily is not noticeable at all when watching regular contents.
Even the slight "green tint" on the very low-end black/gray is basically invisible when watching real movies or playing games, so I feel really lucky with this unit at least.

• SDR Filmmaker Mode is much brighter even with Peak Brightness: Off to the point it now blends with dignity even with HDR/DV handshakes. It's one of the first and most impressive things I noticed;
  • ABL is so relaxed now that it has become unnoticeable even with full white transitions, providing a consistently bright (and good) image basically all the time;
  • HDR highlights of 2.000+ nits contents are blinding in a dark room, even with DTM: Off and very pleasant even when the room is bright, making DTM basically useless (at least on G3);
  • Colors are much punchier and Contrast is much higher, both providing a "3D Effect" and "Real-Life" to the image never experience on any TV before so far;
  • Gaming with properly setup SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes + ALLM: On has the same input lag of Game Optimizer presets and is the way to go. The new "Dynamic Color Boosting" is just too good to lose in Game presets and HGIG accuracy in highlights can be preserved almost identically when setting Peak HDR Luminance in both console system-level calibration and in-game HDR settings to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500, with the added benefit of better tone mapping also for those games with no Peak HDR Luminance control at all;
  • Warm 50 color temp is much better this year, less warm and even more accurate than previous years' models
  • Accuracy and processing all-around OOTB (+ minor adjustments to the presets) are superb

Overall, I personally felt the quality and performance jump with G3 in a similar way of the jump I felt when buying my first OLED compared to the previous LCD/LEDs I had at the time, which literally speaks for itself.

Now let me do some additional testing and I'll put up my new Overall Optimized Settings chart, notes and video guide for LG 2023 OLED series soon as well.

Stay tuned :)
-P

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Looks good!

I might like at upgrading to the C4 series next year from my B9 when presumably MLA will be on the C series.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
So, my G3 55" is finally arrived and after a full day of tweaking and testing I must say I am very impressed so far:

Anything I'm throwing at it just looks and moves perfectly after all was configured to my likings.
After 8 hours straight of bright HDR + 1 manual Pixel Refresh, uniformity looks great as well:

Probably it's the cleanest LG OLED I've ever had and tried with the very minor exception of a slight pink area on one side when using darkest gray patterns, which luckily is not noticeable at all when watching regular contents.
Even the slight "green tint" on the very low-end black/gray is basically invisible when watching real movies or playing games, so I feel really lucky with this unit at least.

• SDR Filmmaker Mode is much brighter even with Peak Brightness: Off to the point it now blends with dignity even with HDR/DV handshakes. It's one of the first and most impressive things I noticed;
  • ABL is so relaxed now that it has become unnoticeable even with full white transitions, providing a consistently bright (and good) image basically all the time;
  • HDR highlights of 2.000+ nits contents are blinding in a dark room, even with DTM: Off and very pleasant even when the room is bright, making DTM basically useless (at least on G3);
  • Colors are much punchier and Contrast is much higher, both providing a "3D Effect" and "Real-Life" to the image never experience on any TV before so far;
  • Gaming with properly setup SDR/HDR Filmmaker Modes + ALLM: On has the same input lag of Game Optimizer presets and is the way to go. The new "Dynamic Color Boosting" is just too good to lose in Game presets and HGIG accuracy in highlights can be preserved almost identically when setting Peak HDR Luminance in both console system-level calibration and in-game HDR settings to 4.000 nits instead of 1.500, with the added benefit of better tone mapping also for those games with no Peak HDR Luminance control at all;
  • Warm 50 color temp is much better this year, less warm and even more accurate than previous years' models
  • Accuracy and processing all-around OOTB (+ minor adjustments to the presets) are superb

Overall, I personally felt the quality and performance jump with G3 in a similar way of the jump I felt when buying my first OLED compared to the previous LCD/LEDs I had at the time, which literally speaks for itself.

Now let me do some additional testing and I'll put up my new Overall Optimized Settings chart, notes and video guide for LG 2023 OLED series soon as well.

Stay tuned :)
-P
You have single handedly made me think the C2 is a bad TV and I should just wait until the G3 is affordable which it won't be for years.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
You have single handedly made me think the C2 is a bad TV and I should just wait until the G3 is affordable which it won't be for years.
The C2 is a great TV already. The G3 will no doubt get under 2000£ later this year. It won't probably ever get to 1200 though, so you should consider how much you're ready to add to this baseline for a better TV.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
The C2 is a great TV already. The G3 will no doubt get under 2000£ later this year. It won't probably ever get to 1200 though, so you should consider how much you're ready to add to this baseline for a better TV.
£2600 for a 55G3 in UK, £2100 for 55C3 and £1200 for a 55C2, such a huge price difference between a 2022 and 2023 TV.