• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
[UP-TO-DATE] Best LG OLEDs + Consoles/PC + HDR Games' Settings
  • P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    LG-G3-oled-2023.png

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2024 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms based on model).

These settings are the results of 7+ years of gathering professional calibration results (using external equipment and software), valuable online knowledge from the most reliable sources and direct testing & analysis.

Yeah, I know, "settings cannot be copy/pasted from TV to TV as they're all different" , but tested LG OLED variance between models is much lower then average, and even within a 3% variance you will still experience a much more accurate image compared to default presets, plus CMS and WB advanced options weren't touched in order to avoid variance error as much as possible.

There are 6 Profiles to independently 1-time-Setup for each source/content combination, and then forget about it.

In order to do it, just change the video source to the one you want to calibrate (for example: webOS Netflix app, or to HDMI1 connected to Xbox Series X / PS5) and then load up the type of video content you want to calibrate (for example: launch an SDR Game, or an HDR Game, or a Dolby Vision movie).

Once you're ready, apply the Optimized Settings specifically for your LG OLED Series (see the sections below to identify your TV settings).

Optimized Settings for LG 2023-2024 OLED Series:

View: https://youtu.be/p7BBkRI29X4

ADPJQmR.png

Click for Full Screen.
    More information and reasoning about the settings here.

You can also unlock ALL settings and apply further tweaks by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more

Optimized Settings for LG 2019 up to 2022 OLED Series:

If you have a 2019-2022 LG OLED apply the following changes first, then proceed with the updated Overall Settings Chart below:
    • Use "Game Console" Icon for game consoles and mixed usage scenario (Games + Movies & Media);
    • You can change the HDMI icon going into "TV Home Dashboard" and then "All Inputs" section;
    • Use "Original" aspect ratio for all sources except for gaming ones: for those use the "16:9" aspect ratio in order to fix potential input lag bugs.

6c07NZP.png

Click for Full Screen.

You can also unlock ALL settings and apply further tweaks by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more

Optimized Settings for LG 2018 OLED Series only:

Use the same settings of 2017 series below, then apply the following changes:
    • SDR Game and SDR ISF Dark presets: bring back Tint to 0;
    • Disable Dynamic Contrast everywhere;
    • HDR Cinema Home: be sure Dynamic Contrast is OFF; set Dynamic Tone Mapping: ON;
    • HDR Game: set Color value back from 65 to 55; be sure Dynamic Contrast is OFF; set Dynamic Tone Mapping: ON;
    • Dolby Vision: change OLED Light value from 50 to 100.

Optimized Settings for LG 2017 OLED Series only:
    • Unlock ALL settings by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more
    • Then follow this video guide:

NOTE: Don't forget to adjust HDR "Sliders" also in game settings if available. Usually, for these TVs, you need to "increase" the level of Max HDR Brightness "Slider" to make the game logo/icon totally disappear in a white background, or set it to a numerical number around 4.000 nits (for Dynamic Contrast or Dynamic Tone Mapping: On) or 800 nits for HGIG (1.000 nits for LG G2/C4; 1.500 nits for LG G3/G4).

Dolby Vision gaming is not recommended. Click here to know more.

Paper White could be set around 200 nits in all cases (276 nits for LG G3/G4 only)

This is the reason why, even with both the console and the TVs properly calibrated, some games may look "dark" or "washed out" if these settings are left to default.

[4K/HDR] Optimized Gameplay
    (YouTube Playlist)

Here you will find Very High Quality (among the best seen on YT), Direct-feed gameplay recordings in Native 4K, 60fps, color-accurate and Calibrated HDR after applying all my PC Gaming Optimizations to my new PC (Full Specs and Setup in each video description)

For this reason, I highly recommend to see them from a true HDR display!

YouTube will still decently tone map them to SDR automatically if you can't.

I will periodically add new gameplay recordings for select games over time, so if you like them please support my work by leaving a Like & Subscribe on the YouTube channel and on Patreon!

NOTE:
    In order to preserve the highest and smoothest quality of the recordings, the actual performance you see is around 5-10% slower than normal. Just consider that as a reference if you want to compare it with similar setups.

FAQ & Useful Insights:

OPTIMIZED IN-GAME HDR SETTINGS:

You can also find the latest, personally curated Optimized Settings for 200+ HDR games by following/supporting me on my Patreon, including:

Let me know what you think.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Cheers,
    -P

Last edited:
    Changelog & News
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    Aaand I'm back! :)

I really apologize for my long absence (and the reasons behind it) but I actually never stopped working for continuously improving both the Picture Quality and overall experience of all LG OLEDs (from 2017 to 2023 models), all Game Consoles, PC and in-game HDR quality and settings.

Not only that, but I also took this opportunity to clean-up and complete overhaul the OP, along with adding many new useful information to it.

I'll try to make a:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES/IMPROVEMENTS (which has been made so far):

Feel free to AMA like always and I'll always try to provide help whenever possible.
    With this I really hope to re-start the conversation and sharing with all of you in the best way possible going forward.

The future is "bright" :)

Cheers!
    -P

EDIT (04/10/2024):
    • v15.2 Changelog: added more specifications for 2024 Series (as Peak Luminance: 1.000 nits for C4; 1.500 nits for G3/G4; Paper White 200 nits for C3/C4 and 276 nits for G3/G4)

EDIT (10/30/2023):

EDIT (10/11/2023):

EDIT (08/30/2023):
    • v14 Changelog (updated settings 2023 Series after latest firmware updates)

EDIT (05/10/2023):
    • v13.5 Changelog (this is the big settings' overhaul for 2023 Series and newer!)

EDIT (03/20/2023):

EDIT (02/17/2023):

EDIT (02/13/2023):

EDIT (02/03/2023):

EDIT (01/18/2023):

EDIT (10/13/2023):

EDIT (01/10/2023):

EDIT (01/06/2023):

Last edited:
    LG G3 Final Review
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy

LG G3 Review Summary:
    • LG G3 Peak HDR Luminance confirmed at 1.450 nits after calibration
    • 215 nits for Full Field White
    • Biggest TV jump ever from one model year to the next
    • SDR Filmmaker, HDR Filmmaker (with just DTM: Off) and DV Cinema presets are basically pre-calibrated OOTB and the closest thing ever to a reference monitor rendition
    • Less power consumption than G2 thanks to MLA
    • A bit higher image retention than G2 due to the much increased luminance (so that's why LG disabled the access to Service Menu and fixed TPC/GSR by themselves for the users to not mess around with anti burn-in protections), but still faster recovery than Samsung S90C @ 1.000 nits thanks to the working heatsink
    • G2 side pink tint has been almost completely eradicated except from a very small amount on the left side, not visible with regular contents
    • Best dark uniformity of any W-OLED so far
    • Dynamic Tone Mapping is much improved, especially on 4.000 nits contents, but it's still best to keep it Off to getting closer to reference monitor rendition
    • Also the new "Expression Enhancer" is best to be kept to Off to preserve original artistic intent
    • Both HDR Filmmaker and DV Cinema have a very slight black crush OOTB (but LG is already working on a fix) while DV Game preset is very overbright and not recommended for gaming
    • TruMotion: Cinematic Movement was the best option among all TVs to properly smooth out 24p inherent judder without introducing noticeable soap opera effect or other artifacts (except for 50hz broadcasts, where it's best to turn it off)
    • Video Processing noticeably improved: with better low-res upscaling, more visible detail and sharper pictures overall and an effective Smooth Gradation to remove color banding in HDR movies without losing other details (when just set to: Low)
    • HDR Game Optimizer preset with HGIG is very accurate and clips at 1.500 nits, but it will be slightly dimmer than HDR Filmmaker (but still great and not a big deal)
    • The new "4:4:4 Pass Through" (ex PC Mode) adds no input lag and is effective to smooth out color banding in HDR @ 120hz even without the dedicated Smooth Gradation option. That said, I still have to test if this will lock out Real Cinema and TruMotion: Cinematic Movement from movie presets when outside ALLM as well or not
    • Input lag was measured as low as: 9.2ms in 60hz (in BOOST MODE) and 4.7ms in 120hz
    • DTS support is back, even through the TV speakers!
    • Internal Speakers are still mid as expected and an external soundbar/system is highly recommended
    • Better anti-reflective coating than G2, but pixel grid will become visible when "torched" with a sustained very strong light in front of it. In real world rooms it's a non-issue

Last edited:
    2023+ DTM in FMM is very good now, and the way to go.
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    Cinema with DTM: Off vs FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level: 48) in Movies

Cinema with DTM: Off vs FMM with DTM: On (and Black Level: 48) vs HGIG in Games

They're literally identical with the exception of highlights being brighter with the new DTM: On in FMM (and colors being better in games thanks to dynamic color boosting).

How to do a "Short Break in process" as soon as you buy your LG OLED
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    Just wanted to share some thoughts for those who just bought an LG OLED, especially a G3 or C3.

These TV will actually need a "break in" period before really stabilizing their picture and therefore what you see on Day 1 is not actually representative of the picture you will have when everything has been settled.

This will also include some initial uniformity issues you may have as soon as you turn the TV on (e.g. "jail bars", darker spots, pink tints and so on) as well as an evident "black crush" in all modes.
    Most if not all of uniformity issues and Black Crush can literally fade away over time.

But How long does it take?
    Well, in general around 200 hours will be necessary for the panel to properly stabilize, but if you are in a hurry and/or don't want to wait 1 year before making sure the panel has actually cleaned/improved itself (for warranty reasons) you can speed up this process.

This is my usual "Short Break in Process" I always do when buying a new LG OLED and which I did also on G3, which produced really satisfying results so far.

I actually hadn't big issues at first, just some very slight banding on 5% gray slides, a bit of pink tint in the center and noticeable black crush even with correct settings.

Then I started my process:
    1. Put the TV on Vivid (yes, Vivid) and watch some very bright and long content from YT, like this video from The Tourister for around 4 hours straight or more;
    2. Quit Vivid and now go setup all the presets like suggested in the OP for all inputs and signals (it will take you a while and you should obviously let SDR/HDR/DV contents play in the background while you do so)
    3. Once everything is properly setup (and usually before going to bed) go to General -> OLED Panel Care -> Pixel Cleaning -> Launch a Full Pixel Cleaning while on Sleep
    4. Don't touch the TV for at least 2 hours. That's why it's best to actually go to sleep as well ;)
    5. That's it. Next time you will turn on the TV and re-do the 5% gray slide check it should be MUCH better than before uniformity wise (in my case all issues where literally gone, except for a very minor pink tint left but on the edge on the display, not at the center). If you still see black crush, repeat Step 3 but just once more, and you're good to go (black crush was gone for me on the second one).
    Do NOT re-do this ever again after.
    You will just add unnecessary strain to the panel at this point, shortening its life span and you actually won't need it as the TV will regularly do its shorter compensation cycles when on idle.
    Just don't unplug it from power outlet when turning it off and that's it.

Enjoy :)
    -P

Miscellaneuous Gaming Suggestions for Best Visuals & Clarity
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    Just wanted to share some suggestions for noticeably improve Visuals & Clarity for all games:

• Avoid 30fps: especially on OLEDs, where those can results in exacerbated stuttering on camera movements and much increased input lag. Always choose 60fps or even 40fps mode in-game at 120hz (on the Console/PC) for much improved motion and input lag. Evaluate if using 120fps modes as those usually come with noticeable visual downgrades on Consoles (both in native resolution and visual effects or objects removal from the game);
    • Always disable Chromatic Aberration: it sucks on all games I tried so far. It will just distorce/destroy image clarity and quality mimicking old/crappy camera lenses;
    • (Almost) always disable Film Grain: except maybe in some horror games made to look "retro" or recorded with 70s cameras (like Alien Isolation and similar). You will just get better clarity and contrast with it Off for all others;
    • (Almost) always keep Motion Blur On: except when very excessive in some games when moving the camera. Usually will just make motion more fluid and natural, especially when the blur is "per-object" and/or when "full-scene" but well balanced and especially on OLEDs;
    • Always keep Depth of Field On: as it's usually well implemented and contribute to immersiveness during dialogues or looking at objects up close;
    • Lens Flares up to you: it's true that our eyes are not doing that, only camera lenses, but in some games they make sense, even in first person (Cyberpunk 2077 with Kiroshi optics, Master Chief visor in Halo etc.) or they will just look cool regardless. Personally I always leave them On.

Enjoy :)
    -P

Last edited:
    Why RGB Limited + Black Level: Low (instead of Full/Auto)?
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    please direct me to the conclusion if this has been debated already, but why black level low and not auto?

doesn't that limit the range from 16-235 instead of 0-255?
    In very simple terms:

1) These TVs are internally calibrated with RGB Limited / Black Level Low before shipping;

2) The reason is that all Movies and the vast majority of Games are also mastered/created with that target or "Legal video range" as well;

3) RGB Full is only leveraged by PC/Windows desktop, web browser, professional graphics applications and PS5 dashboard;

4) There are known issues with the "Auto" Black Level setting on these TVs which sometimes does not work as intended and cause Black Levels mismatches (e.g. PS5 on Auto will correctly auto switch from RGB Full in SDR to RGB Limited in HDR, but the TV in Auto will keep Black Level to High, causing the mismatch with crushed blacks or viceversa).

For all these reasons it's better to always stick to Limited/Low with these TVs.

Last edited:
    How presets work for each Input/Signal + 1 time Setup
  • OP
    OP
    P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
    Italy
    A couple of follow-up questions regarding the OP guide:
    - I see two sets of instructions per console, one for SDR and one for HDR. Does this mean that I should switch between the two settings depending on whether I'm playing a game with HDR or not?
    - I'm unclear on what "Picture Mode (with ALLM On)" means in this context. I Google ALLM but I can't interpret it for C2.

"Help me, I'm poor."

Thank you! that was driving me crazy.
    It means that when you're in SDR or HDR or Dolby Vision you have different sets of presets and settings for each signal type, so yes: only for the first time you have to make sure you're currently viewing each signal type and configure it, then each preset and settings will stick and will load automatically when you jump from a signal type to the other.

ALLM stands for "Automatic Low Latency Mode" which basically will auto load SDR or HDR or Dolby Vision "Game" preset when gaming on Xbox/PS, providing low input lag and then return back to movie presets when you're not gaming.
    This means that you have additional 3 scenarios by launching an SDR or HDR or DV Game first and then setup the 3 different Game presets for each signal.

After all is setup the first time, everything will stick and auto load properly and you shouldn't think about it anymore... ;)

EDIT:
    Also note that each HDMI/Input will have its set of presets.

Examples:
    • webOS apps will have 3 signals/presets to configure independently (SDR ISF Dark / HDR Cinema / DV Cinema Home)
    • TV app in webOS will have its own signal/preset to configure independently (SDR ISF Dark / HLG HDR Cinema)
    • Xbox HDMI1 will have 3 signals but 6 presets to configure independently (SDR ISF Dark for Movies / SDR Game for games auto-triggered by ALLM / HDR Cinema for Movies / HDR Game for games auto-triggered by ALLM / DV Cinema Home for Movies / DV Game for games auto-triggered by ALLM)
    • The other HDMI2 port will have its own presets like the point above for another console or device
    PC and Switch don't support ALLM from what I know, so you would just stick with SDR/HDR/DV Game presets for everything or change between Game/Cinema presets manually based on what you're playing in that moment (a game or a movie).

Last edited: