• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I am way more worried about Neru than red hood just for the fact it doesn't seem to have any discussion at all
Red Hood has almost twice as many Jump+ views as Neru (510k vs 270k for the first three chapters).
Neru is low, incredibly low. It's less than what Zipman or Kowloon's Ball Parade had.
Red Hood is high, but not enough to be safe, a bit under what Time Paradox Ghostwriter had. In the past year or so, only TPGW, Guardian of the Witch and Phantom Seer were axed with higher views. On the other hand, only Magu-chan, High School Family and Roboco lived with lower views.

Ideally, it'd need 700k-ish views by the time volume 1 releases.

If Red Hood gets a color page, or even a cover, it could gain them. The promo surrounding the first volume should also help it. But Neru would need a miracle to live.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Red Hood has almost twice as many Jump+ views as Neru (510k vs 270k for the first three chapters).
Neru is low, incredibly low. It's less than what Zipman or Kowloon's Ball Parade had.
Red Hood is high, but not enough to be safe, a bit under what Time Paradox Ghostwriter had. In the past year or so, only TPGW, Guardian of the Witch and Phantom Seer were axed with higher views. On the other hand, only Magu-chan, High School Family and Roboco lived with lower views.

If Red Hood gets a color page, or even a cover, it could gain them. The promo surrounding the first volume should also help it. But Neru would need a miracle to live.
I mean that's just the western view on Neeu as well. Not even the full one since it's on Viz's SJ app proper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't use MangaPlus stats as a measure of success. I know it's run directly by Shueisha but I have no idea if it factors into their decision making in what runs in the magazine.
And in countries that get access to the Viz app, that likely splits the views.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I mean that's just the western view on Neeu as well. Not even the full one since it's on Viz's SJ app proper
Yeah I wouldn't use MangaPlus stats as a measure of success. I know it's run directly by Shueisha but I have no idea if it factors into their decision making in what runs in the magazine.
And in countries that get access to the Viz app, that likely splits the views.

No
I'm talking about the JP Jump+ app

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why Mairimashita Iruma-kun aka Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun has never had an official English release?
Its finishing up its second anime season now and seems to be decently popular.
But the only way to read the manga is through fan translations.

Loads of weird super niche stuff seems to be being brought over these days, but not this.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dandadan 22
Fun action chapter

So Nessie(?) was something the aliens brought specifically to deal with Ayase, guess they did learn after last time. Cool to the see the trio fight together like this, though I wonder if Ayase loosing her cool like that will ever have greater repercussions or if it'll just keep being played for laughs.

And Okarun's really gonna stay naked for this whole arc, isn't he?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know why Mairimashita Iruma-kun aka Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun has never had an official English release?

Loads of weird super niche stuff seems to be being brought over these days, but not this.
Just the way it happens sometimes.

3-gatsu's second season ended almost 3.5 years ago, and its first volume (which released in 2008 in Japan) won't come out officially in English until next summer.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

TPGW is a weird case with the controversy
Also phantom seer sold well and had extra chapters after being axed, i still don't know how it was even axed tbh

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
TPGW is a weird case with the controversy
Also phantom seer sold well and had extra chapters after being axed, i still don't know how it was even axed tbh
There does seem to be a pattern between between axed and low J+ views

1 197 863 Ayakashi Triangle
* 996 110 The Elusive Samurai
* 769 338 BURN THE WITCH
* 766 435 Dr. STONE: reboot
* 736 950 WITCH WATCH
* 729 243 SAKAMOTO DAYS
* 663 940 Blue Box
* 654 539 Guardian of the Witch
* 621 859 BUILD KING
* 620 535 Phantom Seer
* 588 566 AGRAVITY BOYS
* 545 748 Time Paradox Ghostwriter
* 434 246 i tell c
* 430 264 Our Blood Oath
* 405 119 Hardboiled & Dolphin
* 403 989 Candy Flurry
* 395 013 Me & Roboco
* 388 204 Moriking
* 382 312 Bone Collection
* 339 158 High School Family
* 338 226 Kowloons' Ball Parade
* 311 805 ZIPMAN!!
* 238 052 Magu-chan

These are all the newbies views for the first three chapters (dated from right before Red Hood/Neru started)
Everything above Guardian lived
Below it, there are a few exceptions (Magu, Roboco, HSF), but all are gag manga, so they could be treated differently. The rest was axed (or is about to, for Candy Flurry)

J+ views are the only thing where Phantom Seer did not perform well (as it had good sales and good ToC placements). So lots of people are starting to treat J+ views as being important for newbies.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, I would think Manga+ is only a good indicator for their exclusive titles. In the west though, I do think that + and the SJ sub probably help determine which titles Viz actually prints physical copies of, as opposed to digital-only. In the end, the real important factor in Japan is those top 3 weekly surveys in WSJ (the one Roboco did an entire chapter about...), over the amount of + views, even if there is a high correlation of the 2.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

* 769 338 BURN THE WITCH
* 736 950 WITCH WATCH
* 729 243 SAKAMOTO DAYS
* 663 940 Blue Box
* 621 859 BUILD KING
* 620 535 Phantom Seer
* 588 566 AGRAVITY BOYS
* 434 246 i tell c
* 430 264 Our Blood Oath
* 403 989 Candy Flurry
* 395 013 Me & Roboco
* 388 204 Moriking
* 311 805 ZIPMAN!!
* 238 052 Magu-chan

These are all the newbies views for the first three chapters (dated from right before Red Hood/Neru started)
Below it, there are a few exceptions (Magu, Roboco, HSF), but all are gag manga, so they could be treated differently. The rest was axed (or is about to, for Candy Flurry)

J+ views are the only thing where Phantom Seer did not perform well (as it had good sales and good ToC placements). So lots of people are starting to treat J+ views as being important for newbies.
Ayakashi Triangle is that popular?
I tried a few chapters a while ago and it didn't seem great.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

* 769 338 BURN THE WITCH
* 736 950 WITCH WATCH
* 729 243 SAKAMOTO DAYS
* 663 940 Blue Box
* 621 859 BUILD KING
* 620 535 Phantom Seer
* 588 566 AGRAVITY BOYS
* 434 246 i tell c
* 430 264 Our Blood Oath
* 403 989 Candy Flurry
* 395 013 Me & Roboco
* 388 204 Moriking
* 311 805 ZIPMAN!!
* 238 052 Magu-chan

Phantom Seer did not have good ToC placement, it's why people were concerned it would be canceled despite selling better then expected.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Some were making it sound like Ayakashi was ending soon/entering its climax, but I have no idea why. It's popular, so I'm not sure why they would want to end it so soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why Mairima****a Iruma-kun aka Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun has never had an official English release?

theres numerous popular long series without manga releases in english

iruma with akitan shoten does mean any publisher could get it at some point...so may be safe from the kodansha digital only curse

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing that Magu-chan doesn't seem to be that popular.
Its way, way better than Ayakashi Triangle IMO.
Hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
One thing that could stop US pubs from acquiring Iruma-kun could be the price of the license (fairly popular, one of the leads of its magasine, has an anime and a popular spin-off) and its length (over 20 volumes). They might be afraid that licensing it wouldn't be worth it.

A mild case of Kingdom basically.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Magu-chan still alive even with those low numbers, god bless

I really want it to get an anime someday. I need to hear Napu voiced.

Oct 25, 2017
Neru I think Neru is great but yeah everyone is sleeping on it so I can't imagine it'll last long. Or it'll start fucking with its great pacing to try and garner more interest (which never works).

Red Hood Man I really want to like this but yeah I can see trouble brewing. I can respect that it tried to call its shot with a whole 5 chapter introduction, but that doesn't seem to be panning out. I think the big issue is that it lacks a good supporting cast, which is what other manga usually spent those first chapters on. Oh well, art is really strong still so maybe that'll carry it until it finds its feet.

Candy Flurry I guess we're just gonna jump into the final confrontation. I'm giving this three more chapters and then the axe.

Blue Box I think I pinned my big problem with this. Its not focusing enough on the sports. This is supposed to be a hybrid romance/sports manga, but it really glosses over the sports. Usually with this kind of thing, you can feel the authors insane passion for said sport, but here it feels kinda like the author picked some random sports from a hat. There isn't a good balance, and considering everyone's feelings about SPORTS is what is adding conflict to the romance, it just means there is weak conflict.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dandadan 22
Fun action chapter

So Nessie(?) was something the aliens brought specifically to deal with Ayase, guess they did learn after last time. Cool to the see the trio fight together like this, though I wonder if Ayase loosing her cool like that will ever have greater repercussions or if it'll just keep being played for laughs.

And Okarun's really gonna stay naked for this whole arc, isn't he?
He's going to be naked when they eventually go back to really too probably.

Ah ok. Seemed like fairly generic ecchi crap to me.
Perhaps I misjudged it though.
It is generic ecchi crap. It's just made by the person who drew one of the most well known, popular ecchi crap of the last decade. People really like his art.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Magu-chan is leagues and bounds better than Ayakashi Triangle.
It has zero fanservice though so I guess it won't be popular.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Arnis in Sword Land

Actually pretty damn good. I went in expecting basically a sexploitation manga but got a some surprisingly good-looking 80s fantasy action. Honestly looks kinda Miller-esque.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The Demon Girl Next Door (Machikado Mazoku) Vol 1 - 3

Just read the first 3 volumes of this. Its about a girl who's ancestors are demons, and to release the curse on her family she has to defeat the local magical girl. Its a 4-koma comedy, but despite that it actually has a consistent story throughout. I have been enjoying it so far.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Machikado is great. I think the anime is a little better than the manga though tbh, probably because it makes the 4koma stuff hang together in a less stilted/stop-start kinda way

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Blue Box I think I pinned my big problem with this. Its not focusing enough on the sports. This is supposed to be a hybrid romance/sports manga, but it really glosses over the sports. Usually with this kind of thing, you can feel the authors insane passion for said sport, but here it feels kinda like the author picked some random sports from a hat. There isn't a good balance, and considering everyone's feelings about SPORTS is what is adding conflict to the romance, it just means there is weak conflict.

In the one shot Taki was originally a volleyball player, guess the author changed it to avoid any Haikyuu comparisons.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Does anyone have any suggestions for any slice of life manga from around the 80s or 90s? Really digging the style of these. Anything that depicts life in Japan around that time, too, would be great.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
E-MVM8MUYAMfSei.jpg

Not sure what's worse, how Red Hood dropped like a stone or that Neru already started that low.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Red Hood survives, but in retrospect spending 5 chapters on what would usually happen in the first 1-2 may not have been wise.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
If Red Hood does get axed (which is still very far from confirmed, let's not get ahead of ourselves) :
-8 chapters rule redeemed
-GFC curse re-confirmed
-Jump+ views theory strengthened

August 2021 Community Recommendation
OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
August 2021 Recommendation
Oshi no Ko (written by Aka Akasaka, art by Mengo Yokoyari)

jiY1lk6.jpg

Behind the Japanese Entertainment Scene | 5 volumes, ongoing work, not licensed in English
The story begins with a beautiful girl, her perfectly fake smile, and the people who love her selfishly for it.

What transpires behind the scenes of the glittering showbiz industry? How far would you go for the sake of your beloved idol? What would you do if you found out reincarnation was real? The star of the show is Aquamarine Hoshino and the stage is but a mere façade. Will he manage to reach the climax before the world of glamour swallows him whole?(source)

From Pellaidh:
I already liked Kaguya a lot, so it was pretty clear I'll like this, but I think Oshi no Ko finally made me realize why I like Aka's work more than most of his contemporaries – because while his work is rooted in shounen tropes and storytelling (Kaguya being a high-school romcom for example), unlike most shounen it's written for a (young) adult audience. (source)

Content warning: This work contains depictions of suicide, emotional abuse, and bullying.

(NOTE: I wrote the content warning based on input from another site. I am currently catching up on the series, so I will update it with my own observations as I go. If anyone has any input to make the warning more accurate, let me know.)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Neru and CF will cancelled first so RH is safe for now. Also I doubt second week matters much. What matters from now on is if it still in the bottom 5 for long
Neru is totally dead tho, it has the worst forst ranking i have ever seen

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Eh I mean they keep saying TOC doesn't matter as much and it doesn't with how thick the lineup is. Neru's been solid pacing wise and a lot of fun. I'm not too worried

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood has me more worried with the total skipping of the 3 month boot camp than the ToC tbh. Spending the time in the village was fine, but you gotta commit to the pacing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Red Hood has me more worried with the total skipping of the 3 month boot camp than the ToC tbh. Spending the time in the village was fine, but you gotta commit to the pacing.

These things usually time out to around the same time. We see the rankings tank in the toc, and suddenly the stories pacing stops feeling natural and rushes/skips ahead.

Eh I mean they keep saying TOC doesn't matter as much and it doesn't with how thick the lineup is. Neru's been solid pacing wise and a lot of fun. I'm not too worried

My rule is don't get invested into any Jump series until gets beyond 20 chapters, is ranking well in the toc, has had at least 1 if not 2 more color pages since it's premier, and is selling well for a new series.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see how Neru is going forward. It had... an odd start, but seems to be finding its footing now, a bit more. Red Hood's pacing has been a lot more awkward, going from being in the hamlet for so many chapters, to doing a rush training. Last 2 chapters have been going through way too fast, compared to the opening arc.

I give it 2 more chapters for Candy Flurry to wrap up :x