• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree with this.

Monolith Soft has always had a habit of setting up boss fights in such a way that you come about 75% of the way through depleting their health meter, then the fight ends and the resulting cutscene shows them either kicking your ass or escaping. The generic, disposable nature of the Consuls helps avoid that frustrating feeling, which plagues a lot of their games.
Xenoblade 2 is one of the worst examples of "win in the game, lose in the cutscene" games I can think of really. It happens almost every time up until you get Mythra.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is one of the worst examples of "win in the game, lose in the cutscene" games I can think of really. It happens almost every time up until you get Mythra.

Is that a thing? I already bounced off of 2 several times because of how trope-y it is but man one of my least favorite things in JRPGs is the "I just shit on that boss" and the cutscene acts like I barely won or the boss wasn't even phased.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm early chapter 3, and have a question concerning combos and Arts .
Am I right that currently I only have access to Break and Topple in two respective classes (Swordfighter and Heavy Guard)? There is no way to choose which skills the characters will inherit when equipping a class, right? So I have to always have these two classes present on my roster to start my combos.
Can someone slightly spoil me if I will be able to unlock those rather crucial combo skills for more classes (via Fusion Arts or via Heroes)? It just seems strange that it seems almost everyone already has access to Daze, can learn Launch and Smash, but not the starter arts.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a thing? I already bounced off of 2 several times because of how trope-y it is but man one of my least favorite things in JRPGs is the "I just shit on that boss" and the cutscene acts like I barely won or the boss wasn't even phased.
It happens a lot early on in XB2, some instances are outright infuriating. There's one fight where you beat a guy, he falls over, and then five seconds into the next cutscene he has the upper hand entirely and is kicking your ass.

View: https://youtu.be/ekDAp9aNKCs?t=7430

The game mostly stops doing it after chapter 3, which is early into the game as a whole, but still around 12+ hours in.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
CP being tied to your level is a bit annoying, not so much for the ranks, but for unlocking the classes for your other characters! Just doing the sidequests, even without using bonus EXP, your way overlevelled compared to the main areas, so you have to find high levels stuff to try and unlock these

Also i'm dumb, i used all of my colony iota supplies at the start, should have waited for the other colonies!

Still don' understand why they insist on changing the name of some of these characters... some aren't, some are, and it doesn't make much sense why they would do it, not like they are hard to pronounce

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Just did the Cammuravi Hero Quest. It's slightly humorous, but also very sad. Extremely curious about Ethel still being on the Hero list (and still gaining passive levels) now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting my first difficulty spike in the entire game and it's with

two random Agnus levnises that call backup on one of the islands? What the hell? They can just wipe the party at any time. What am I missing here?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I disagree with that, to be frank. There's no way the appeal will be even remotely the same for those who haven't played both previous games first. Sure, they might "understand" it, but they won't truly appreciate it. The 1/2 stuff is far from additive bonus stuff; it's basically the entire point of the game.

But that brings us back to the earlier point of the game's world not having a hook besides being the 1 and 2 worlds fused together. The primary reason to be intrigued by the set-up in the first place is because the player wants to know how 1 and 2 came together to produce 3. And there's just no way the player will be as curious about that if he hasn't already played 1 and 2 (or at least one or the other).

I mean, I get that people are going to want to be defensive of the game in the OT (especially the topic creator), but both these things can't be true at once.

100%

This is my first Xenoblade and while by playing I don't feel I'm missing something (obviously I am but the game is quite friendly in that regard), reading comments here it's clear to me that the point of reference is important. People have been listing or detailing pros and cons in relation to previous games in the franchise, while my comparisons are other jrpgs and what for some might be an improvement or a step back, it's the opposite for me because my references are from a different context.

I still feel the game stands on its own tho, for instance Dark Souls III is my only DS and a lot of times I felt it relied a lot in previous games while here I feel I'm playing a game with its own identity.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting my first difficulty spike in the entire game and it's with

two random Agnus levnises that call backup on one of the islands? What the hell? They can just wipe the party at any time. What am I missing here?

Ya lol. All of us have faced that sudden wall.

I had to grind to lvl 50 for the extra accessory slot.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
the soundtrack to this game is so amazing- it's different from the previous games being a bit more muted. The amount of times I've just stopped in a game area just to soak in the music I've lost count.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I stopped doing chain attacks, it started making the boss fights trivial. It feels a little too OP with how much health bar can be taken out at once

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chain attacks are almost necessary on hard mode though.
You barely do a dent on their health bars unless you use a chain attack, even if you're a couple of levels above them.

But also, Daze/Launch locks trivializes some of the harder bosses later in the game too. Also just realized that Break actually interrupts an enemy's art, so if you see them charging one up you can try to Break them to stop them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
good to know I'm not crazy.

Took one down with a chain attack and was on my way to victory and the game crashed

😐

Thats rough buddy lol

the soundtrack to this game is so amazing- it's different from the previous games being a bit more muted. The amount of times I've just stopped in a game area just to soak in the music I've lost count.

Its very rich. Playing with headphones really elevates the experience too!

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Fellow easy mode gamers, how are things going for you? I typically don't engage with the deep combat mechanics of JRPGs (play mostly for story) and XC3 is starting to lay them on thick. Wondering how people are fairing if only lightly engaging with that stuff and keeping it pretty simple battle wise, so to speak?

To see what I mean, I'm hesitant about changing up the classes because it's throwing the "canon" outfits out of whack in cutscenes lol

You can actually change the outfits in the menu to any class you have unlocked level 10 with that character.

I would also enocourage you to do some class changes. Just use the ones that are A or S tank with the character on the screen. It will be really helpful for gaining fusion arts.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
Quest event location help, put it in spoilers just in case.
How do I get to the quest related event in the Fornis region, sand dunes area? It's on a cliff above the Nambabound campsite. I could see the way to get to that cliff is through a cave but I can't find the entrance to it.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I see. Ok, this is what I think:
House Ortiz is Shulk. Literally looks like Shulk, is a mechanic, etc.
House Cassini is Zeke. Eye patch, rebellious, big guy.
House Reid with the cape is Rex. Mentions his big red sword.
House Rhodes could be Fiora. But I'm not sure.
Then statues of Noah and Mio.
Interesting stuff!

Rex is the one who has an eyepatch after losing an eye. He's described as wielding two great swords in battle (Pyra's and Mythra's swords). He's also described as living an unsophisticated life, but one full of passion. He's described as having the power to influence those around him - referencing his character traits in XC2.

If you look at the statue, the top half is actually a slightly redesigned version of his salvager suit.

The one with the cape, a mechanical arm and is referenced as using a big red sword is Shulk, it's referencing the Monado.

Rex loses an eye referencing the elder party member in XC2 (Zeke) and Shulk loses an arm like his elder party member in XC (Dunban).

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
There is a lot of Xenogears here, thematically. I love it

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Despite some of my misgivings about the game, there's a big stretch in the mid game that everyone seems to be getting to now that is peak Xenoblade.

Mio is the absolute MVP in the game's biggest chapters. Just a wonderful character. There's a humanity to her that tugs at your heartstrings.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes! It was such a weird way to handle it. There must be a more elegant way to show how powerful a boss is through gameplay.

I mean, unless you want them just giving the boss a massive player wiping AOE when they reach a certain amount of health before jumping to the cutscene, which functionally isn't any different, there's not really.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I do wonder if Noah is meant to be related to anyone from XC? They almost suggest that Noah is in some way related to one of the founders who clearly looks like Fei from Xenogears.

Mio is Rex and Nia's daughter (or more specifically, a reincarnation of her I suppose).

Just a bit weird they'd directly link a main character to one game and not the other.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Quest event location help, put it in spoilers just in case.
How do I get to the quest related event in the Fornis region, sand dunes area? It's on a cliff above the Nambabound campsite. I could see the way to get to that cliff is through a cave but I can't find the entrance to it.
I think I know what you mean and I went crazy trying to look for the entrance hahah.
Can't remember the exact landmark name but go to the far east side of the map, and look towards the west as you walk along the edges of the map. You'll see a huge cave entrance which will lead you to that location.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
This game make me feel things man... Currently early Chapter 6 and if it's going on like this, I'm gonna be really thorn on choosing my GOTY.
I Love the way Chain Attacks are constructed and some classes like FMJ and Dual Fencer or Zephyr are hella fun to play

Also
Me: Please God, Don't throw your harshest challenges at me
God: Choose between long haired or Short haired Mio

p.s: I'm just glad It's not permanent.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I've reached the cap for Nopon Coins (Gold and Silver). I usually only buy food and class ranks for silver and I'm not sure what the best use for gold is. Any recommendations?

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I've reached the cap for Nopon Coins (Gold and Silver). I usually only buy food and class ranks for silver and I'm not sure what the best use for gold is. Any recommendations?
You can craft Gems with gold coins. You might also want to seek out the Nopon Coin merchant, he sells some really good accessoires that you can buy with Coins (such as an accessory that lets non healers revive party members. You can find them in the location I described in my previous post on this page.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
You can craft Gems with gold coins. You might also want to seek out the Nopon Coin merchant, he sells some really good accessoires that you can buy with Coins (such as an accessory that lets non healers revive party members. You can find them in the location I described in my previous post on this page.

Thanks! I know about both but it's there a gem or accessory that's especially hard to get otherwise or especially useful? I got the item you mentioned already somewhere else.

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
I think I know what you mean and I went crazy trying to look for the entrance hahah.
Can't remember the exact landmark name but go to the far east side of the map, and look towards the west as you walk along the edges of the map. You'll see a huge cave entrance which will lead you to that location.
Just found it lmao, it was under a cliff with the same curled plants hanging over the side.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Rex is the one who has an eyepatch after losing an eye. He's described as wielding two great swords in battle (Pyra's and Mythra's swords). He's also described as living an unsophisticated life, but one full of passion. He's described as having the power to influence those around him - referencing his character traits in XC2.

If you look at the statue, the top half is actually a slightly redesigned version of his salvager suit.

The one with the cape, a mechanical arm and is referenced as using a big red sword is Shulk, it's referencing the Monado.

Rex loses an eye referencing the elder party member in XC2 (Zeke) and Shulk loses an arm like his elder party member in XC (Dunban).
That's interesting but there is a statue that looks exactly like Shulk, wearing some goggles on his head. The description mentions he made his own weapons and was a mechanic. I don't see how that statue isn't Shulk.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could like this game more, but it has been a pretty big letdown for me. Colonies aren't real towns, just some rectangular containers here and there with some tents. It is extremely easy to overlevel and practically ruin the game for yourself because you can't get new hero classes fighting gray enemies. The music is great, but doesn't nearly hit the level of the previous game for me at all. So many memorable themes in every new area in 2... this game is mostly somber music that I don't even remember right now except the main theme which is indeed a good song. Chain Attack music is amazing though, and the music when you fight any of the Mobius members is also pretty sick.

The story, characters and voice acting are all good. I do love the gang and all of these things are as good or better than the previous game in some ways. I find myself really feeling for the gang especially Mio who has my heart right now. I'm having that strong need to make her happy, and that says a lot! It's unfortunate that the class system, world design and leveling problems are getting in the way of me considering this one of the best RPGs of the year.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
How do you guys get Gold Nopon Coins, I'm 45 hours into the game and barely got 40 of them

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think you get an extra layer of enjoyment by being familiar with the originals, but in general I think fans tend to overestimate how much being able to follow the little nods and such impacts enjoyment for those who aren't. Same shit happens across so many franchises and I think it's a bad gatekeeping attitude that prevents most potential new fans from starting when you're presenting multiple huge games as barriers of entry. I also think they underestimate the appeal of starting later and going back to the earlier games which is a unique experience in its own right
This is me. I'm about 55 hours in (I'm on chapter 7 right now), and this is the first Xeno game I've ever really sunk my teeth into, but I'm enjoying it so much that I really want to go back and play through the previous Xenoblade games once I finish it. I know that there are a bunch of references here that I've missed by not playing the others first, but by no means do I feel that that's diminished my enjoyment of this game. It's done a great job of explaining everything that's needed in order to understand what's going on.

I've no doubt I'd love it even more if I'd played the previous games beforehand so that I had extra context and appreciation for certain things, but at the same time, this game stands up on its own very well. I also have never wanted to play through the previous as badly as I do now, and in all honesty, I don't think I ever would have been as enthused to play them if it weren't for this one.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Switched to hard earlier for funsies then took down a UM 5 levels above me. I think I got like 4 chain attacks off and it was a 13 minute fight? Lol. Felt exciting to take them down. I got killed by a Ropl 7 levels lower than me as well...

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
I've been pondering queer temporality a lot recently and because of that I feel like my reaction to the beginning of Chapter 5 was a bit muted, though it was objectively a moving scene. A little aggressively heterosexual with the whole cycle of life, marriage, babies, death.

I really enjoyed Sena's ascension quest overall but it felt more like the hero involved's story than hers, haha.

This quest made me feel way more sympathetic towards Shania and filled in a lot of gaps about her character. I got the impression that Moebius did not do what she really desired by making her Moebius instead of Agnus or Keves (which from the ending of Chapter 5 it seemed she was gunning for with the desire to resurrect and try again, which Moebius doesn't have since they live forever). And because becoming Moebius means she retained her abusive parent memories rather than starting from scratch.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Where/how do you start Lanz's ascension quest?
Chapter 5 area
That area where you get your ship. Right here is where you'll get the intel to start it.
original_2bf20a14e8843485a58dcd19790d377a.png

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
man I wish this game has markers for the map like XC1:DE. I'd like to mark every unique I see, so I can beat them later when I have a high enough lvl.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Good lord chapter 3 just never ends if you explore thoroughly.
I heard you can find a copy of Pikmin 4 in chapter 3. Miyamoto hid it there.

To see what I mean, I'm hesitant about changing up the classes because it's throwing the "canon" outfits out of whack in cutscenes lol
what the others have said but also remember that there is no "canon" outfit for them. you're actually making it not canon by sticking to the same ones since it's canon that they change up classes and outfits as it's literally a story thing. :)

I disagree with that, to be frank. There's no way the appeal will be even remotely the same for those who haven't played both previous games first. Sure, they might "understand" it, but they won't truly appreciate it. The 1/2 stuff is far from additive bonus stuff; it's basically the entire point of the game.

But that brings us back to the earlier point of the game's world not having a hook besides being the 1 and 2 worlds fused together. The primary reason to be intrigued by the set-up in the first place is because the player wants to know how 1 and 2 came together to produce 3. And there's just no way the player will be as curious about that if he hasn't already played 1 and 2 (or at least one or the other).

I mean, I get that people are going to want to be defensive of the game in the OT (especially the topic creator), but both these things can't be true at once.
It's because you seemingly view these as mutually exclusive opposites. It's basically what everyone's been saying: playing this without knowing the backstory of 1 and 2 (none of which has even been relevant up to chapter 3 where I am) is just like playing any other game. You're presented with a world that works in bizarrely messed up ways and you're on a quest to go to a place and unravel it all. Nevermind that the fundamental line of all the marketing or the elevator pitch of the eShop description is the line about these two worlds clashing together. If you've played the other two you get the added benefit going "that's Melia/Nia!?!" and then maybe recognizing a few of the location names along the way. Your hook is "wtf is up with this world, why are there even flame clocks and why do we need these 10-year soldiers out of tubes and who are these shadowy consul figures and will my gang be okay by the end?". The main hook isn't "damn I've sunk 200h into the previous games and it is imperative how all this god business will turn out to be at fault again". It's an extra dipping sauce on top of the delicious garlic butter.

Gems obvi

Last edited: