GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I'd like to echo what others have said about that scene in chapter 5. It got me to chuckle, and nearly tear up at different points. My favorite scene in the game so far, and probably one of the best in any jrpg. It just felt incredibly genuine.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I think I burnt myself out trying to do every side quest. Gonna beeline it straight to the end before I get sick of the game

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Fellow easy mode gamers, how are things going for you? I typically don't engage with the deep combat mechanics of JRPGs (play mostly for story) and XC3 is starting to lay them on thick. Wondering how people are fairing if only lightly engaging with that stuff and keeping it pretty simple battle wise, so to speak?

To see what I mean, I'm hesitant about changing up the classes because it's throwing the "canon" outfits out of whack in cutscenes lol

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing how Chains work on this second run... completely breaks the difficulty at a point. And you also spend like every battle almost entirely stuck in the CA musical theme, lol.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I always forget how annoying it is when a massive open game has a genuinely engaging story. I don't wanna rush the game because all this side content is also surprisingly good, but….I also really fucking need to see what happens next!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 75 hours in, still in Chapter 5 but just did the prison escape stuff. Unless this game fumbles the ending, this is becoming my favorite game ever. I'm just speechless.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
That's interesting. One is definitely Shulk. I see one who could be Fei from Xenogears and Rex from XC2. Are you saying one is for an older reincarnation of Mio and Noah, perhaps their original selves? I'm not sure Fiora is a statue but I could be convinced.

I only assume it's Fiora because the statue is next to the Shulk-looking statue and don't know who else it could be referencing. The one with the red sword, who was a master to the actual founder is Rex. The one with 2 greatswords and an eyepatch must be Zeke. The Fei looking dude is Noah (which implies he's a Vandham and related to Monica and Ghondor lol) the cat lady next to that is Mio? There's definitely a cutscene at the beginning of chapter 6 that shows Noah and Mio around the first Ouroboros seed.

To see what I mean, I'm hesitant about changing up the classes because it's throwing the "canon" outfits out of whack in cutscenes lol

You can lock costumes to their defaults regardless of class choice if you want.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
oh holy this game really like its sword and shield class

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing how Chains work on this second run... completely breaks the difficulty at a point. And you also spend like every battle almost entirely stuck in the CA musical theme, lol.
One thing I hope they add in a future update is the ability to speed up chain attack animations because they take so damn long especially when you're doing them multiple times in a fight.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hope they add in a future update is the ability to speed up chain attack animations because they take so damn long especially when you're doing them multiple times in a fight.

Or just let me mute the theme, it gets tiring. Honestly, I feel like the combat kind of falls apart around Chapter 4, too much of the power shifts to Chains. You can basically AFK a boss until the CA is filled and then knock off half of their HP or even kill them.

The combat is all in all vastly improved from previous entries but it feels the most completely imbalanced in terms of power distribution.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

YOUVE BEEN WARNED

The smile on my fucking face during this fight

Melia and Nia fucking transforming their castles into giant big ass mechs and joining the fight

The camaraderie between the two queens

All the heroes joining your fight

Then beating the shit out of Z with the CRAZIEST guitar solos

Then Melia and Nia actually joining the fight in person!!! FUCKKKKKKKKKKK

THEY LOOK SO GOOOOD

AHHHHHHH

lmao did she just use starlight kick???

I cant

IronWarrior94

Jun 1, 2018
I always forget how annoying it is when a massive open game has a genuinely engaging story. I don't wanna rush the game because all this side content is also surprisingly good, but….I also really fucking need to see what happens next!
I fully agree, open world games with a story that really catches your attention are like double edged swords lmao. On one hand you want to take your time and experience everything, from the maps to side quests that expand upon the world and characters(and concerning XC3 you really want to unlock all of the heroes). On the the other hand you just want to see where the story goes next because again, it's just that good lol.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Whoever decided to give the English version of Riku a deep voice deserves a raise. I can't help but smile whenever he speaks. It deserves to be in the pantheon of great localization changes.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a decent place to get rid of some ether cylinders? Aside from gems and the occasional Ferronis Hulk I haven't found a use and I'm currently capped. I'm currently in chapter 5

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
As is Xenoblade tradition, chain attacks finally clicked for me at the very end, and I went on to 4 rounds with 1 ouroboros, went for 3.2 million dmg with x1042% multiplier

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
very disappointing, fits the moment AMAZINGLY well but not at all a banger

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
As is Xenoblade tradition, chain attacks finally clicked for me at the very end, and I went on to 4 rounds with 1 ouroboros, went for 3.2 million dmg with x1042% multiplier
Seeing numbers like this tempt me to take the difficulty down to normal mode lol. Chain attacks do less damage on Hard in the same time you could do normal arts, chain attacks/Ouroboros are defensive options on Hard

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Highest chain attack I've done so far in hard is 1.3 million damage but I also don't have access to certain things I've heard is busted in them like a certain class I've heard really facilitates high power chain attacks

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
A good way to increase the damage you do is always going for the hero order. Heroes don't count towards the timer so they're just free damage.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I only assume it's Fiora because the statue is next to the Shulk-looking statue and don't know who else it could be referencing. The one with the red sword, who was a master to the actual founder is Rex. The one with 2 greatswords and an eyepatch must be Zeke. The Fei looking dude is Noah (which implies he's a Vandham and related to Monica and Ghondor lol) the cat lady next to that is Mio? There's definitely a cutscene at the beginning of chapter 6 that shows Noah and Mio around the first Ouroboros seed.
I see. Ok, this is what I think:
House Ortiz is Shulk. Literally looks like Shulk, is a mechanic, etc.
House Cassini is Zeke. Eye patch, rebellious, big guy.
House Reid with the cape is Rex. Mentions his big red sword.
House Rhodes could be Fiora. But I'm not sure.
Then statues of Noah and Mio.
Interesting stuff!

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I am just at the beginning and this game is already pretty dark. Young people with really short lifespans dying in battle all the time.

There must be a thing with teen military drama in Japan.

Hellstruck

Jun 29, 2022
Just reached the end of chapter 4, finally after days on it doing sidequests.
What
the
fuck.

Alright now I'm interested in the story, finally.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yall...

the wide ass smile on my mudder snuffin face right now...

Absolutely minging

That reminds me, I consider myself pretty up on English slang but mio used a term yesterday I had never heard before and had to look up, which is a first. I'll have to event theatre it later. It was a scene with her and Noah and taion just after the start of chapter 4

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I am just at the beginning and this game is already pretty dark. Young people with really short lifespans dying in battle all the time.

There must be a thing with teen military drama in Japan.
I don't have this game yet but I've watched it running. I gotta say the story intrigues me. I couldve sworn I've heard of this trope before somewhere before but I cannot remember where? Young soldiers dying early?

Very interesting concept.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I think any new player will play through the opening chapter and see for themselves that something isn't right with Aionios and the world's mystery/characters should be enough to provide a story "hook."

The XC1/2 context is just additive bonus easter egg stuff for people that played those games. It also gives XC1 and 2 more longevity for new players that really took to 3 and can go back and experience XC1 and 2 with the bonus info they know from 3.

That's how 1 and 2 worked. I actually played 2 first and then 1 and it was still a great experience. I feel like these games, despite being numbered, can largely be played in any order actually.

I disagree with that, to be frank. There's no way the appeal will be even remotely the same for those who haven't played both previous games first. Sure, they might "understand" it, but they won't truly appreciate it. The 1/2 stuff is far from additive bonus stuff; it's basically the entire point of the game.

Strongly disagree. I don't think you need to know the two games beyond knowing the exist to be intrigued by this world and how things came to be the way they are. That's just how normal story works. It presents you with a situation and you're either curious to learn more or you're not.

But that brings us back to the earlier point of the game's world not having a hook besides being the 1 and 2 worlds fused together. The primary reason to be intrigued by the set-up in the first place is because the player wants to know how 1 and 2 came together to produce 3. And there's just no way the player will be as curious about that if he hasn't already played 1 and 2 (or at least one or the other).

I mean, I get that people are going to want to be defensive of the game in the OT (especially the topic creator), but both these things can't be true at once.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck can I not reload a save from the ingame menu? Like, what is the point in forcing me to quit to the main menu? I hate it.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm gonna have to go straight for the main quests and do the side content remaining after because it's becoming harder and harder to read about this game when more and more people finished it.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
So much of this game is like this. It feels like Taion was basically a core primer of setting expectations that the rest of the game is about following up on.

For real, it's fantastic. This game really, REALLY sells you on the core group going from enemies to forced allies who don't really know each other to true, real friends/family. Like typically in these types of games you'll get that the main group likes each other as a whole but still has their own little mini cliques/bonds that are closer than the others.

In this game, all of them really feel like they care deeply for every other member of the team. You see genuine, warm and honest one-on-one interactions even with the characters in the main party you wouldn't expect to have them, like Lanz and Mio.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You're not gonna get a lot of the intended story enjoyment/intrigue out of this game unless you've played or are familiar with 1&2. It's just a fact. And it's not a bad thing. Don't really see how that can be denied.

Like the entire goal of the party right now is quite literally finding the real Melia and Nia lol

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever decided to give the English version of Riku a deep voice deserves a raise. I can't help but smile whenever he speaks. It deserves to be in the pantheon of great localization changes.
For real. It's refreshing to see a cutesy mascot-y character who doesn't have a high-pitched annoying squeaky voice. (Not sure how it was in the other Xeno games, I've yet to really play most of them.)

Why the fuck can I not reload a save from the ingame menu? Like, what is the point in forcing me to quit to the main menu? I hate it.
Yeah, that's one annoyance I have with the game.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think you get an extra layer of enjoyment by being familiar with the originals, but in general I think fans tend to overestimate how much being able to follow the little nods and such impacts enjoyment for those who aren't. Same shit happens across so many franchises and I think it's a bad gatekeeping attitude that prevents most potential new fans from starting when you're presenting multiple huge games as barriers of entry. I also think they underestimate the appeal of starting later and going back to the earlier games which is a unique experience in its own right

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wanted to finish Chapter 3 before I go into some thoughts, because I was initially a little worried about the game with how linear it is as the beginning, but those worries have mostly faded.

While I still feel like the environments are little disappointing (they just feel kind of empty and less detailed), it's still fun seeing the fusion of 1 and 2. And I love how you just bump into all the Hero's you can recruit throughout the world. Don't think I'll be doing everything my first playthrough though.

Battle system is.....a little overwhelming. And I feel like I still don't grasp everything, but it's fun! Bosses have a ton of health though and take a while. Not a big fan of that.

I've seen a lot of people not impressed by the music, but I can see what the game is doing with it. It's more cinematic/subdued, but when the music hits, it really hits. Reminds of Xenosaga Episode I, and that's my favorite Xenosaga OST. People had similar complaints about that.

Now the story......there's not much of it yet, but it's a Xeno story lol. The characters and what they're building up to so far seems great. I know a lot of people are down on the Consul's, and I'm not sure what to feel about them yet, but I'm enjoying their "theatric" presentation. Especially the beginning of Chapter 4.

Unsurprisingly, and predictably, the Consuls seem to be

Testaments/Umbra's with Consul J's reveal. Now just to wait and find out who the one behind the scenes is giving them that power.

But what are N (not Noah) and M (not Mio)? Are they a Pyra/Mythra, Grahf, Id, Myahh/Elly, or URTV situation?

Since Eunie seems to be reincarnated, maybe the Myahh/Elly path?

And I've tried to see where exactly Aionios is floating. It looks like there's land/water in the distance that drops off into a chasm surrounding it. Like it's floating above the ocean, but the water below has been pushed away. So I'm curious what happens since it also seems to be Earth going by the moon.

Have the people finally found Lost Jerusalem or are they still stuck on a whole different planet?

I've seen a few out of context screenshots, so I am excited to see where the story goes.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the end of chapter 5 and just got done with the whole beginning sequence of chapter 6 including the fights, what a ride so far. I legit was ugly crying throughout. I wanted the game to fuck me up and it delivered

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm still in the middle of Chapter 5 and I've been doing all sidequests I can find and while I enjoy them, I am now considering finishing the game first and coming back later to do the side quests of the last chapters as I'm losing touch with the main story. Does the level down feature unlocks right as you finish main story and lets you go do the side quest at any level you want? Do you still get CP?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i'm just gonna gush about very late chapter 3 right now, taion specifically, and more broadly the fullness and nuance in which xenoblade 3 handles its characters. for me, it doesn't really feel like a question of how it compares to the series and more expansive story games in general. i am really impressed.

first of all, taion's english voice actor is incredible and knows exactly how to calibrate to the tone of every single scene he's in. wouldn't be half the character without the trembling inflections and half-starts that just completely sell the character's problems with expression.

i think a lot of hay has been made by people who love xb3's cast (very much including myself here) about the depth of every character, but what impresses me most in 3 is just how they show that depth. no one tells you their life story because that's not usually what people do, yet there's so much about their interiority that is expressed naturally through their interactions with one another. who they choose to approach, what they choose to talk about, what they want to talk around. taion feels like a really incredible testament to this balancing act because we get one flashback at chapter's start that essentially informs us about every single thing taion does and action he takes.

across the whole chapter, we just see this huge range of modes he goes through. taion and noah being immediately drawn together because they're probably the closest personality-wise to one another. taion being the one to notice how shaken up eunie is and putting her at ease in a way that understands the boundaries she puts around herself, then talking with her about his relationship with death and fear of loss and constant anxiety. him being pressured to find a travel route by the others and being unable to bring himself to insist on his call for caution. how he approaches lanz despite their animosity because of this image he's constructed of lanz as this unburdened, confident guy and the small window into lanz and his relationship with noah we get through this exchange. and finally that release of all the survivor's guilt he's been holding in over his mentor's death during the confrontation with his commander.

you're always a slightly different person to everyone depending on what you see in them and what you see about yourself, and how well 3 seems to understand this is a huge credit to its writing. taion is maybe the most emotionally intelligent of the entire cast yet so often struggles so hard to put his intentions into words and it's really astonishingly well conveyed.
Agreed with this whole post, really loved what they did with the character and the payoff is chef's kiss

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with that, to be frank. There's no way the appeal will be even remotely the same for those who haven't played both previous games first. Sure, they might "understand" it, but they won't truly appreciate it. The 1/2 stuff is far from additive bonus stuff; it's basically the entire point of the game.

But that brings us back to the earlier point of the game's world not having a hook besides being the 1 and 2 worlds fused together. The primary reason to be intrigued by the set-up in the first place is because the player wants to know how 1 and 2 came together to produce 3. And there's just no way the player will be as curious about that if he hasn't already played 1 and 2 (or at least one or the other).

I mean, I get that people are going to want to be defensive of the game in the OT (especially the topic creator), but both these things can't be true at once.
now I wouldn't agree it's the *entire* point of the game. Newcomers could still be enthralled by the brand new characters and their arcs, as well as the setting and themes.

It's the background lore and history, and lots of the mysteries of the story, which are pretty big parts of JRPGS to be fair, where knowledge of 1 & 2 is really important. So I agree with you in that aspect.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All I will say is, I'm not done with the game so maybe they'll explain it but this game starts with showing you people who have wings on their heads, or made seemingly out of machines. Or have cat ears, and/or have crystals in their chests, sometimes with different colors, or have blue/rocky skin. And the game hasent explained any of this. I feel like a huge element of this game is is probably getting lost.

Because knowing what these races looked like In the past adds another level of dystopian to the current situation, it feels like entire cultures have been lost

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I hate the sound mixing so much. The sound effects and music are too loud. I can't hear the voices!!!

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I have a very important question about clothing in Chapter 6.
PLEASE DO NOT READ IF NOT IN CHAPTER 6 OR LATER

Is there a point soon where Mio's clothing becomes available again? She's stuck in Moebius form and the menu entry has a permanent dot that I cannot get rid of, and it's triggering me to no end D:
I'm at the very beginning doing side story before progressing so my question may be dumb but it's haunting me.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Is there a point soon where Mio's clothing becomes available again? She's stuck in Moebius form and the menu entry has a permanent dot that I cannot rid of, and it's triggering me to no end D:
I'm at the very beginning doing side story before progressing so my question may be dumb but it's haunting me.
Just advance the story a bit and she goes back to normal clothes.

Also, you get another choice about her hair. It's not permanent, you can adjust in the options menu later, so don't worry about it too hard.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I like all these disposable consuls ngl

Much prefer them to XC2 myriad of fights where you kicked whatever boss ass and in the next cutscene they school you. I hated that every fucking humanoid boss was like that every single fucking time
Definitely agree with this.

Monolith Soft has always had a habit of setting up boss fights in such a way that you come about 75% of the way through depleting their health meter, then the fight ends and the resulting cutscene shows them either kicking your ass or escaping. The generic, disposable nature of the Consuls helps avoid that frustrating feeling, which plagues a lot of their games.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to Chapter 5 and made it to you-know-where, and I have some observations to share:

One of the Oroboros founders looks to clearly be Shulk, but the other statue that someone says has Noah's chin looks similar to Fei from Xenogears (and Abel from Xenosaga). I would write it off as pure coincidence but the fact that this statue is punching his hand in a martial-arts way is no coincidence.

This part isn't a spoiler and maybe it's been said elsewhere in this thread, but Xenogears was originally called Project Noah.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

Is there a point soon where Mio's clothing becomes available again? She's stuck in Moebius form and the menu entry has a permanent dot that I cannot get rid of, and it's triggering me to no end D:
yeah it will go back when you start progressing the story again