• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timcanpies

Sep 17, 2020
Mostly pretty smooth. The performance issue that drives me nuts is the game purging foliage as you walk through it. It looks so janky to be walking through a field of tall grass that's stretched out in front of you and as soon as Noah's feet are anywhere close to the grass it disappears. I've never seen a game do this before and it's really bad.
someone correct me it I'm wrong but I think genshin does this? I do agree it's pretty jarring though

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Question regarding the Flame Clocks...

So, what exactly does being "free" of the Flame Clock do? My initial thought was it basically "frees" them of their 10-year lifespan, but I'm not so sure anymore. It still sounds like Mio is going to die in 3 months, regardless.

If this answer crops up later in the game, please don't spoil it for me, but in case I missed some subtext or whatever, I'd like to know. I'm about to leave Colony 4 after defeating the first Consul.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Ch. 3. Game is amazing so far. I could actually see this eclipsing XC2's combat at some point. However, healing was much easier in XC2 -- you would just use Rex's hookshot to pull healing potions from enemies. That was like the second mechanic they teach you in that game, which makes sense -- Rex doesn't start with a dedicated healer like Eunie, so they gave him a way to heal himself. But I sorta miss the reliability of that -- a bit more direct than manually switching to Eunie or Taion and running to the previous character (who I usually left far away from the rest, behind the monster, lol). This may sort itself as I master healing arts, however.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man... spoilers from early chapter 5
the scene after arriving at the city... about human nature and how we really are... is so fucking well done, so beautiful, I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time. Gorgeous scene.
I legitimately teared up when the party was interacting with that baby. It was so cute and wholesome in a game that just beats you over the head with the bleakness of the world but I was so happy seeing the party get a taste of what life would be like if not for the Moebius.

I have a lot of gripes with the writing and story but the characters and world building is not one of them. They really take full advantage of the setting they have and when it works damn it works very well

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hear that Noah? Lanz wants something abit meatier
My only real gripe. I legit don't understand how you develop a game and don't see this repeated dialogue as a truly shitty problem. Didn't anyone bring it up to someone? All they need to do is make it so you can only hear certain lines once every 30 minutes or something. Otherwise don't say the freaking line.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm at Ch. 3. Game is amazing so far. I could actually see this eclipsing XC2's combat at some point. However, healing was much easier in XC2 -- you would just use Rex's hookshot to pull healing potions from enemies. That was like the second mechanic they teach you in that game, which makes sense -- Rex doesn't start with a dedicated healer like Eunie, so they gave him a way to heal himself. But I sorta miss the reliability of that -- a bit more direct than manually switching to Eunie or Taion and running to the previous character (who I usually left far away from the rest, behind the monster, lol). This may sort itself as I master healing arts, however.
I feel like the healing potion mechanic would be really strong in a game where you have 7 character in combat who can pick them up.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

So, what exactly does being "free" of the Flame Clock do? My initial thought was it basically "frees" them of their 10-year lifespan, but I'm not so sure anymore. It still sounds like Mio is going to die in 3 months, regardless.

If this answer crops up later in the game, please don't spoil it for me, but in case I missed some subtext or whatever, I'd like to know. I'm about to leave Colony 4 after defeating the first Consul.
Essentially it's to keep the Colonies in check by giving them an incentive to actually do the killing. The terms/tattoos are to limit their lifespans

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im still at the beginning of the game.
What does that sheathe btn (A) do before combat?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

There is a story and gameplay reason for both, not touching the story one but gameplay Allegedly you would get a boost in stats if the flame clock was full and it would decrease with time as the flame clock lowered, there was a tutorial for it early on. How much of that tutorial was fluff to trick blind players and how much of that mechanic is actually programmed in I'm not sure

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
It's basically just to inherit arts and skill from a certain class so you can make a build you like. You don't have to max out every class.
I will do until 10 each then and see how it goes. Otherwise I will return everyone to their original class

Im still at the beginning of the game.
What does that sheathe btn (A) do before combat?
You take out your weapon to fight. Holding A while in combat unsheathes so you can escape

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I scanned my Shulk Amiibo & got the Monado, where can I find it? I can't find the the Clothing section of the menu.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Fusion arts fuse the effect and damage of both arts you are using , it also allows you to cancel arts into arts(by using fusion arts in between) early in the game(later you dont need fusion arts to cancel arts into arts), it also level up your interlink

Thanks! That's weird you have to unlock the ability to cancel arts into arts. IIRC you could do that immediately in 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to do anything. Don't make Noah a healer if you don't want. It's not forcing you to do that at all. Pick a class you want to master and then swap back.

You don't have to, but the game complains at you every time you enter the Character screen as a maxed-out job. It's very annoying and it feels like the game telling you it wants you to switch jobs.

I play using Japanese VA thank god. Never heard this once

In my experience, playing in Japanese doesn't help with repeated dialogue either. Like in Hyrule Warriors, nearly every one of Lana's voice clips is 'SEEEEENO, HAAAA!' over and over and over and over until the blessed release of sweet death. Once you notice a repeated voice clip it's inescapable.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Xenoblade team really needs to figure out healing. It's been a consistent issue with the series ranging all the way back to XC1, and this game has all the exact same problems - the small arts palette, the long cooldowns, all healing being regen-based instead of burst-based. I don't know why they can't just give any of the healing characters like some decent burst healing that can be used to turn the tide of battle back in the player's favor when it starts to tip.

Do some of the Hero jobs solve this issue? Eunie and Taion's jobs seem to be extremely bad once you shift them to anyone other than their OG holders, especially because it feels like the AI gets worse once you move the jobs around. I just made it to the beginning of chapter 3, and some of the Unique Monster fights in Chapter 2 were a nightmare because Eunie and Taion just do not have the HPS to compensate for the enemies' damage output.

Past that annoyance, and a lot of the cutscene blocks feeling tiringly over-long, Chapters 1 and 2 are pretty solid. Definitely 1000% better told than XC2 in basically every way. Though I am greatly amused by the constant narrative cutbacks to the flashback of Soren dying over and over and over again. I think I texted someone "rocks fall, fat kid dies" a few minutes into the game and then it actually happened, lol.

Yeah, its weird how much Monolith Soft still struggles with healing five games in.

I'm still in chapter 2, playing on hard, and two healers just does not do enough for some optional fights I've tried. I've gone as far as a team of four healers and two tanks in order to be able to heal through the damage to get the Nopon coins in a choice fight vs five or six level 15 enemies.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
In my experience, playing in Japanese doesn't help with repeated dialogue either. Like in Hyrule Warriors, nearly every one of Lana's voice clips is 'SEEEEENO, HAAAA!' over and over and over and over until the blessed release of sweet death. Once you notice a repeated voice clip it's inescapable.
Luckily so far I haven't noticed. Especially those voicelines while roaming the world. This is why there's no subtitles for them 😂

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
It explains role actions well. Essentially.... Play your role. So using side /back attacks if the class uses them, cancel arts where possible, use healing / ring buffs for healers etc. What are you struggling with?
Not struggling per se, it's just I'm wondering if I'm missing things to make the Talent gauge go up faster.
For example, having just reread the tutorials, there's absolutely nothing on there that canceling arts makes the gauge go up faster. There's just a general description of "interfering with the enemy" for tanks for example. Ok, so that's guarding and evading. What else?
For the initial classes, it's pretty clear. But once you get new classes... Does applying DoTs as an attacker count as an attacker count? After all, it's "applying damage effectively" (role action description for attackers). However, it doesn't seem to count. Why?

Oh yeah one thing I am having trouble with: how much does each action fill the gauge? Even against the same enemy, using the same attack, it doesn't seem to always give the same amount...

Jun 1, 2021
You don't have to, but the game complains at you every time you enter the Character screen as a maxed-out job. It's very annoying and it feels like the game telling you it wants you to switch jobs.

It mentions it once when you reach the cap. Hardly annoying. 🙄

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I've been playing with 2 tanks / 2 healers / 2 dps since the beginning of the game, has anyone tried 1 tank? Is it viable?

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I've been playing with 2 tanks / 2 healers / 2 dps since the beginning of the game, has anyone tried 1 tank? Is it viable?
Haven't yet but I'm sure this one tank will get smacked. Especially when pulling lots of mops

XC 1&2 had one tank and it was alright. I have a feeling one tank in XC3 will be a bit of a problem

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
hard mode question

How the heck do you beat Meobius B in zeon's quest? Do you just have to overlevel? He has a ranged AOE burn that reduces healing, which means tanks WILL die, and he also has a spell that disabled healers so they can't heal or revive. wtf is this shit?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Haven't yet but I'm sure this one tank will get smacked. Especially when pulling lots of mops

XC 1&2 had one tank and it was alright. I have a feeling one tank in XC3 will be a bit of a problem

Yeah i'm thinking the same, think I'll just stick with the holy trinity

hard mode question

How the heck do you beat Meobius B in zeon's quest? Do you just have to overlevel? He has a ranged AOE burn that reduces healing, which means tanks WILL die, and he also has a spell that disabled healers so they can't heal or revive. wtf is this shit?

Yeah, I just did all of the other sidequests I could find, leveled up, then came back. Hard mode is hard.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
are you not able to see the map of other regions on the destination map? i'd like to fast travel somewhere i've been but i can't figure it out.

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
I guess I'm still in Xenoblade 2 mode, cause I keep waiting for the third attack to activate arts, but I can cancel the arts in any attack and it does the same damage right? There's no 1-2-3 combo auto-attacks anymore right?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The level of freedom is really impressive. I just finished chapter 3 but I keep exploring and discovering huge side paths that are just open to you so long as you can fight the mobs there. I'm like 40 hours in and completely over leveled regarding the main story but I'm having a great time. I'm sure later some side quests will lead me there but for now it's just big uncharted zones just waiting to be discovered.

More specifically there are whole colonies you can discover on your own with a lot of stories around them. Don't know if it'll be mandatory later but for now I just chose to go there. Discovered a bunch of heroes that way too. Really digging the non linearity. It really opens up at some point.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade games feel more open world than open world games.
Especially this game. It sometimes has that BotW feel of turning back and seeing a huge landmark that you were at like 10 hours ago. Lands are much more connected that before. There are still some loading between zones but huge biomes within them.

I especially like seeing Colony 4 in the distance in the heights above Ribbi Flats and before Uraya. It's just really huge.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I'm enjoying the game so far but I have two complaints

First one is the sound when attacking enemies, it's weak and it lacks impact, they should rework this in future entries because the combat is really fun but it lacks impact and the sound is definitely lacking

Second, please give us an option to mute the characters in combat. I can't believe that their betatesters didn't realize this was extremely annoying. One thing would be if they add many more lines and more variety but it gets old really quick honestly

As for the game I really like it and like I said I am enjoying it quite a bit. The serious tone does help quite a bit

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Don't tell me if it's actually plot relevant or addressed but it's funny how there are still like clearly older Adult-looking people around who are still only 10 or less terms old. Like is Mio supposed to be older than (Hero Quest Character) Teach?????

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't plan on getting this game at all seeing as I bounced off XBCX and despite trying 3 different times I couldn't get past the first handful of hours of XBC2, I just couldn't stand the style and the repetitive voice lines during combat, it just drove me up a wall. So last week I watched the trailer for 3 and thought the premise seemed cool, always thought the gameplay was fun so I decided to give it a chance. I only finished chapter 1 yesterday but I'm having a ton of fun, looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished chapter 2 and still can't see a way to check affinity for settlements - do I just keep playing or am I being blind?