HBK

Oct 30, 2017
How bad is performance? I really like the previous game but it didn't run that well.
It's an unstable basically 25~30. Exploration is mostly stable-ish. Combat is where it doesn't hold well. It doesn't seem to drop as low than 2, and the weird nature of combat makes it not a huge problem, but it's not super-smooth.

In terms of image quality, they traded a dumb-ass sharpening filter for what you could call a « smear rendering » pipeline. I can see why some prefer that to 2, especially as they improved shaders and lightning. But the 540p base res shows. Everything feels blurry, even though TAA tries to hide it.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, I love being over leveled and stomping, give me all the bonus xp. "Hard" RPG battles I mostly just find frustrating, I prefer the joy of feeling powerful.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I just got past the first boss and never found a black kiwi. I'm guessing it's going to be awhile before I can find one?

And is there a way to check where to find stuff for the Collectapedia? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I could have sworn the past games showed on the map what things you could find in each area.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
M-Classic makes a big difference in image quality in this game. I hadn't hooked it back up after changing my setup a few months back. Finally re-connected and wish I had done it sooner.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I just got past the first boss and never found a black kiwi. I'm guessing it's going to be awhile before I can find one?

And is there a way to check where to find stuff for the Collectapedia? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I could have sworn the past games showed on the map what things you could find in each area.
If you already have one of the item you need, you can look it up in the items screen and it will tell you in which area you can find it. But there's no list of all the available collectibles in an area, no.

I wouldn't get hung up too much with the collectopedia tbh. It's more like an easy way to get rid of the stuff you've found and farm reputation to level up colonies, not really meant as something you need to "complete" like in Xenoblade 1.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Damn, I love the cutscenes in this game.

So far I've enjoyed playing as Mio the most, even though Noah's higher attack damage felt pretty satisfying. It's just his slow auto attack and recharges are annoying. Eunie was just boring, lol. I feel like I'd need more than three arts to enjoy using her (or her class, anyway).

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Seven hours in and loving it so far, other than a few nitpicks (did the game really make me do the same tutorial twice in a few minutes?) Much better start than 2.

Chapter 1 spoiler

poor Mwamba really had every single possible death flag huh. At one point whenever he said anything I was like, yeah I get it you're going to die lol

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I love the cutscenes in this game.

So far I've enjoyed playing as Mio the most, even though Noah's higher attack damage felt pretty satisfying. It's just his slow auto attack and recharges are annoying. Eunie was just boring, lol. I feel like I'd need more than three arts to enjoy using her (or her class, anyway).

Yeah all of the Keves characters feel really slow compared to the Agnus characters. The XB2 arts cancelling recharge just feels more active and fun.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
YOUR INTUITION...IS SHIT!!!!

Man, chapter 2 was bonkers. This fucking game. So hype. The music. The character animations and expressions. Everything is just so good. Its shaping up to be one of my all time faves. I cant wait to spend the rest of the night playing it.

Deleted member 59

Can you charge noahs talent art with air slash? I can do it with the side and back attacks but seemingly not with air slash.

Thanks

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Seeing Takahashi again as the scenario writer and the director in the intro made me a little emotional. This mad lad has been doing this since Xenogears. MAJOR respect to him and the team at Monolith.

Xeno series means a lot to me. I didn't watch anything besides the og reveal trailer, just going in blind.

THIS GONNA BE GUD.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the difficulty thoughts friends. Still with a three man party and already having a blast even before much of the new mechanics are being introduced.

In for the ride

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Man the fight that gates getting back into Colony 9 was hard as heck. They all have very low HP but that doesn't help when they can kill you faster than you can blink.

Boy, I love being over leveled and stomping, give me all the bonus xp. "Hard" RPG battles I mostly just find frustrating, I prefer the joy of feeling powerful.
I'm level 23 right now but I can level up to 30 if I want. I like having the bonus XP in stock in case I run up against some brick wall boss. Since XP and CP scale depending on your level relative to what you're fighting you end up gimping yourself if you're too overleveled.

Last edited:

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
So, is it recommended to always be playing a class that isn't max level?

I have only been leveling classes that make sense for each character, like i'm leveling healers for Eunie / Taion (until I get a mage class atleast) dps characters for Noah... etc.

I'm wondering if i'm doing a terrible mistake.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I disagree on with what seems to be the general consensus is that this game has a quicker start than 1 and 2. It feels deliberately slower paced than both to me. Not good or bad just definitely not faster

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm not getting my Nintendo copy until Tuesday, so I had to got out and get it today.

I finally got to put a couple hours in, and I'm still only just outside the first Colony lol

But yeah, everything is great so far. And I just realized this is the first time we've had menu music since Xenosaga Episode I. A neat little thing since whatever this Iris system is seems to be like the UMN.

Hopefully I can get get to some more big story stuff tomorrow.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it recommended to always be playing a class that isn't max level?

I have only been leveling classes that make sense for each character, like i'm leveling healers for Eunie / Taion (until I get a mage class atleast) dps characters for Noah... etc.

I'm wondering if i'm doing a terrible mistake.
You kinda are. Your party members are not limited to their initial "roles", and cross class Arts/Skills can be pretty useful. A party member's initial role isn't really linked to their class proficiency either (for example, Lanz is the party member that has the S rank in the third healing job and is the initial unlock for it once you pick up the corresponding hero character).

You have the freedom to play how you choose, and it's not like this will totally gimp you, but there's no reason not to swap people between classes regularly.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked before…but what is 'Bonus XP'?

Understand that you seem to be able to pile it on at the rest points however I don't think I really understand how it is earned or why it just isn't added on normally?

Is it primarily just a function/modifier to manage the difficulty giving you the option to over level if you want to?

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Understand that you seem to be able to pile it on at the rest points however I don't think I really understand how it is earned or why it just isn't added on normally?

Is it primarily just a function/modifier to manage the difficulty giving you the option to over level of you want to?
It's mostly just an added mechanic for the sake of adding mechanics.

You can somehow use it (well, technically, by not using it) to alleviate "the open-world overlevelling problem", but other than that, it's just another way to trigger your serotonin.

Edit: You can also see it as way to justify the existence of campfires, inns, etc. Justify it mechanically I mean.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I unlocked the first new class. If I just used it on Noah, other's will eventually be able to use it right?

I couldn't find the tutorial page again.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Whew what a game! Played a few hours docked and while blurry on my 77 inch LG G1 it still looked good with a solid performance.

Then played handheld for a few hours on the OLED Switch and I'm floored! It looks stunningly clear with rock solid performance with smooth controls.

Definitely feels like they made this for handheld SWOL Switch. Feels great that both are viable ways to enjoy the game.

JRPG game of the year so far.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Is it primarily just a function/modifier to manage the difficulty giving you the option to over level if you want to?
If you do lots of side content and exploration you would end up with an excess of XP and overlevel everything, trivializing the game. Some people like that, others would prefer to do all the side content while keeping the game challenging.

This system was added in XBC2 because in the first game it was really easy to outlevel the content in some spots.

I unlocked the first new class. If I just used it on Noah, other's will eventually be able to use it right?

Yep.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah if you set Noah as the new class, and look at the class selection screen on a different character, the new class's silhouette will fill up with every battle and when it's full the character's will learn the class.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. The others just have to fight alongside one representative of the class. You can check the class silhouette filling up on the class screen. Character affinity with the class seems to decide the speed of it filling up.

Edit : beaten like a bunnit ;(

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
You kinda are. Your party members are not limited to their initial "roles", and cross class Arts/Skills can be pretty useful. A party member's initial role isn't really linked to their class proficiency either (for example, Lanz is the party member that has the S rank in the third healing job and is the initial unlock for it once you pick up the corresponding hero character).

You have the freedom to play how you choose, and it's not like this will totally gimp you, but there's no reason not to swap people between classes regularly.

It's mostly because i'm getting my ass kicked on hard difficulty when I swap everyone's classes 😭

But yeah, i'm still kind of early (start of chap 3) so i'll start doing that from now on, thanks!

Mar 19, 2021
I finished my own first playthrough of XC1 at the end of last week…you still have a while to go however I would say the story really picks up a lot of pace going forward from exactly where you are (Chapter 9 onwards). I found it a bit plodding (but enjoyable) before that point and afterwards loved it through the end.

I'll try to keep playing for sure, I'm enjoying it and your post is definitely encouraging. The beginning of 3 is very very good though, it really hooked me quickly

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure I totally understand Fusion Arts. Do they have all characteristics of the two Arts you're fusing? Like it does the damage each would separately? Obviously this would be dumb, but if you fused an Art that raises aggrieved with another that lowers it do they basically cancel out?

And how do they affect cancelling? The tutorial tip thing said something along the lines of Fusion Arts allow you to cancel Fusion Arts into regular arts, or vice versa, or regular arts into regular arts. I thought this meant that, for example, if you had all your arts available to use you'd be able to use your X + Up Fusion art, cancel that into your Y Art, then cancel again into your B art. But when I did the simulation thing for getting the most out of cancelling it seemed like you can actually only do one additional cancel after the fusion art.

Hope this makes sense!

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Lot of stuff to juggle with classes. I feel like I'm just slotting stuff in randomly as opposed to making solid builds but we'll see, it's not like I have a ton of options at the moment.
I really wish there's a save preset button for classes loadouts. Cause otherwise with quite a few classes in the game you'd be swapping them a lot of the times to level them all and even on Hard I could hardly force myself to optimize my artes/skills/equipment every time after that. Auto-loadout isn't completely terrible, but still not as good as manual and I couldn't be bothered to optimize all 6 characters other than 1 current setup. If I want to try another it's such a pain to redo everyone knowing there's a high chance you'll fail (vs some strong boss for example) and have to redo everyone else's loadout again while trying yet another setup or going back to your previous "optimized" one which you have to keep in memory as well.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
It's mostly just an added mechanic for the sake of adding mechanics.

You can somehow use it (well, technically, by not using it) to alleviate "the open-world overlevelling problem", but other than that, it's just another way to trigger your serotonin.

Edit: You can also see it as way to justify the existence of campfires, inns, etc. Justify it mechanically I mean.

If you do lots of side content and exploration you would end up with an excess of XP and overlevel everything, trivializing the game. Some people like that, others would prefer to do all the side content while keeping the game challenging.

This system was added in XBC2 because in the first game it was really easy to outlevel the content in some spots.

Thanks both! That makes sense.

Interesting you note it was a feature in XC2 as I don't remember it at all! However I played at launch so have probably just forgotten it.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I had the biggest shit eating grin on my face through all of chapter two, just hours and hours of pure gaming joy. The narrative, the game systems, the character interactions and the wonderful English dub, like holy fuck I am in love with this game. I switched to normal early in the game though and definitely am considering going back to hard because while the climax was absolutely a joy it was pretty easy I gotta admit.

"For dead weight, you're a right snuffin' peacock" is a GOAT tier line for me lmao

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got to chapter 3, ending of 2 sure was A Lot.

I did hit a weird bit near the end:

I got BODIED on that final fight, lmao. I wasn't sure if either the Ouroboros start off bad or I had a uniquely terrible class setup. I had everyone's starter and tutorial swapped one maxed, so I had them all on the next best one which basically meant eunie and taion were tanks, noah and sena were healers, so the eunie/taion merge meant my party got eviscerated, lol. On a restart I had them all set to default and it was fine but the merge was still never really doing anything, feels like the tree unlocks are needed as I could never get the talent art before the heat ran out.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Anybody knows exactly what the difficulty changes?
Enemies have more health? You hit less? Exp or drop rate different?
I have a lot of gripes with XC2, but that you could adjust every slider individualy was one of the best mechanics it had (although it was implemented later if I remember right)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Anybody knows exactly what the difficulty changes?
Enemies have more health? You hit less? Exp or drop rate different?
I have a lot of gripes with XC2, but that you could adjust every slider individualy was one of the best mechanics it had (although it was implemented later if I remember right)
yea custom difficulty was a post-launch addition

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Quick question: never played a Xenoblade game before, should I play 1 & 2 before I dip into this? only got a Switch recently (I was strictly a PC guy)... what are your recommendations everyone?

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: never played a Xenoblade game before, should I play 1 & 2 before I dip into this? only got a Switch recently (I was strictly a PC guy)... what are your recommendations everyone?
People will tell you to play the other 2 first but unless you have like 100 hours to spare, just play 3.