OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The secret best thing about this game, right after the dirty clothes bit, is that they actually made off-seeing a game mechanic. Absolutely excellent way to bring some of the thematic somberness into actual gameplay and have it feel meaningful (also make number go up!)

I just watched the overview trailer and I'm sold!

But like.......can someone explain the thing about how they only live 10 years? Are we supposed to be playing as children? I just want to know it's not creepy.
I mean, you saw them, though, right? You could tell they were all adult-sized people? Not sure what would be creepy about this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but camps are unvoiced. I guess I'll see how the main story handles including scenes like that, but it kinda sucks that a cast this good doesn't get to have them.

Sounds like you're putting him on another Keves class. Keves classes can only use Agnus Master Arts and vice versa.

This is just based on reviews but it sounds like there's way more substantial side content this time where the cast gets time to shine. So all those moments are basically just put into quests rather than standalone scenes.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I don't trust the AI anymore. They've been holding on heals for no reason

I'll gladly switch and heal rather than depend on the AI mood to start healing

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm doing a sidequest in Chapter 2 called Collapsed Traderpon that requires me to find some random fruits and I have no clue where to find them. I've been wandering around the area for like half an hour and all I can find is Fire Apricots and nothing else. Any idea where to find any of those fruits?

I miss XCDE leading you exactly to where the collectibles you needed were :(

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust the AI anymore. They've been holding on heals for no reason

I'll gladly switch and heal rather than depend on the AI mood to start healing

Yeah, midway through chapter 2 I noticed a marked downturn in healing efficiency. It seemed to coincide with the exact moment the game started actively pushing me to switch people's jobs around. The AI just stops actually trying and it's SUPER frustrating.

I'm doing a sidequest in Chapter 2 called Collapsed Traderpon that requires me to find some random fruits and I have no clue where to find them. I've been wandering around the area for like half an hour and all I can find is Fire Apricots and nothing else. Any idea where to find any of those fruits?

They're all in the first map, which is frustratingly mostly locked off to you by the time you get to that Nopon.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, midway through chapter 2 I noticed a marked downturn in healing efficiency. It seemed to coincide with the exact moment the game started actively pushing me to switch people's jobs around. The AI just stops actually trying and it's SUPER frustrating.
Yup. This is why I'd rather switch between them all than wait for them to do something

Jun 1, 2021

The fabricator might help maybe. I got lucky and had stuff already.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I ended up buying it after the responses here. I'm really enjoying it! Performance is definitely better than the 2nd game. It's been stated to death, but I wish we had a new console already. Playing this on my LG C9 docked and trying it in handheld really shows the Switch's age 😬

Jun 1, 2021

They're all in the first map, which is frustratingly mostly locked off to you by the time you get to that Nopon.

Apart from millick meadows. Only a small part is locked off. Plus you can use the fabricator.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh man... spoilers from early chapter 5
the scene after arriving at the city... about human nature and how we really are... is so fucking well done, so beautiful, I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time. Gorgeous scene.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having a weird experience where their Switch console refuses to recharge to max battery capacity while playing this game? I just put my Switch in the dock when I went to bed last night and upon turning it on this morning it's still only at 78% capacity.

Also when you take the Switch out of the dock while this game is on the fan sounds like a jet engine for like 30 seconds before cooling down. Is the game just THAT processor-intensive?

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Going from my Steam Deck and playing a new game on the Switch is like playing on a console for ants. Damn this game is fun though. So happy to not be playing as the guy in the weird diving suit from 2. Performance is much better. And I'm only super early in but the story is already super intriguing.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Just made it to chapter 3. Leveling all the classes for everyone will be my aim. Lucky it isn't as time intensive and involved as leveling Blades in 2 was. I really liked all the music so far and seeing how i'm still early in the game i can already tell this OST will be another masterpiece.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Character swap will take some getting use to. I assume a QoL that will come eventually is an indicator for which character you are on. You can get used to it but I think not everyone will want to put in the effort to mentally keep track all the time.

Art flow function from fusion art is really simple and nice way to add some depth to core combat loop. Really like the idea here.

Really like the cast through early part of ch2. There is occasional tension but all the characters are fairly level-headed. Also once you get all 6 characters things don't take long on hard at all, so ch1 was just a party at half power kind of deal that they didn't adjust for.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I hope the game cuts down on the flashbacks a bit. It feels like the game is really hammering certain parts over the players head.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Anyone having a weird experience where their Switch console refuses to recharge to max battery capacity while playing this game? I just put my Switch in the dock when I went to bed last night and upon turning it on this morning it's still only at 78% capacity.

Also when you take the Switch out of the dock while this game is on the fan sounds like a jet engine for like 30 seconds before cooling down. Is the game just THAT processor-intensive?
My Switch is always docked so I don't know about this one. I'll test it out for you though and let you know

Sep 21, 2019
Anyone else have frequent frame drops and cutscene stutters on Switch while docked?

Or are you having a pretty stable performance so far?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have frequent frame drops and cutscene stutters on Switch while docked?

Or are you having a pretty stable performance so far?

Mostly pretty smooth. The performance issue that drives me nuts is the game purging foliage as you walk through it. It looks so janky to be walking through a field of tall grass that's stretched out in front of you and as soon as Noah's feet are anywhere close to the grass it disappears. I've never seen a game do this before and it's really bad.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

Regarding the battery, me and many other users had a similar problem near launch, and Nintendo even put up a guide to fix it back then. It required a full discharge and some on/off shit, here you can find one

www.nintendo.co.uk

The Battery Charge Indicator Displays Incorrectly

Description: You are able to continue using the console for a few hours even though the battery charge indicator is almost depleted.

For the fan, it's still better than SMTV and MH Rise, those games are full jet engine.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I'm really digging this cast so far and I'm really impressed with the English voice work. I'm usually a "Japanese voice for Japanese RPGs" kinda guy, but I'm sticking with English for this one. It's dang good.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Riku is a man's Nopon.

Riku is flat-out the first Nopon NPC in the entire series I do not want to constantly kick into the mouth of an active volcano. The level of restraint that has so far gone into his character and dialogue writing is pretty shocking considering how Tatsu was written last time.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Riku is flat-out the first Nopon NPC in the entire series I do not want to constantly kick into the mouth of an active volcano. The level of restraint that has so far gone into his character and dialogue writing is pretty shocking considering how Tatsu was written last time.
Riku puts Tatsu in shame. May there never be a Tatsu in this series

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm really digging this cast so far and I'm really impressed with the English voice work. I'm usually a "Japanese voice for Japanese RPGs" kinda guy, but I'm sticking with English for this one. It's dang good.
People often say Xenoblade's English VA is lesser, but that couldn't be further from the truth imo.

Sure, there's a character every now and then whose VA isn't as good, but the main cast are always very well acted and the regional British dialect is really refreshing to hear.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Up to the start of chapter 3 now, they really improved on both XC1 & 2, that's pretty great.

However, those have to be the most frustrating menu tutorials ever. And some parts are still not explained: what are roles actions exactly for each role? Because that etc. in "Attack the side or back of the enemy with arts, etc." is really not helpful at all. Also is it all arts, or only those that have a positional effect? (it's the latter, I know after having played 10h, but it isn't told anywhere)

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man... spoilers from early chapter 5
the scene after arriving at the city... about human nature and how we really are... is so fucking well done, so beautiful, I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time. Gorgeous scene.
"Alright lads and lasses, who wants to know how babies are made? You're in for a surprise!"

The giddy laughs they had from the baby, yeah that scene was great.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
So before starting up this game I want to play through the first two again. I never purchased Torna back in the day so waht's the best way to get that? On Nintendo website it seems the expansion pass includes it but that's weird because Torna sold by itself is $10 more. So I stopped before I bought it as that didn't make any sense to me. Will I be okay just to buy the expansion pass for XB2?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So is the initial set of gems you have available to craft all you get or do the options get expanded eventually?

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
How can you tell where places are as far as naming goes? The map is great and I appreciate it but like, opening the map at this part of the game just tells me "X Region, Full" and then I can scroll through landmarks and other areas of interest that are marked on the map, but how can I find out sub area names without being there? I thought maybe zooming out would show me but it doesn't. Like for instance, Ribbi Flats. It shows up when you're there on the gameplay HUD, under the minimap, but is there no way to see these named regions on the map level and their actual boundaries? Also why does List Search on the map only show three locations? Is it the last three you fast traveled to or unlocked or something?

In Valdi's hero quest fight, using him in chain attacks was stupid fun just because his character gives 50+ TP for machina enemies and doesn't cap at 99 TP the way the party's regular healers do. So ending an order with him, after issuing like 3 chain attack orders, you'd have him doing like 190 TP by the end.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So before starting up this game I want to play through the first two again. I never purchased Torna back in the day so waht's the best way to get that? On Nintendo website it seems the expansion pass includes it but that's weird because Torna sold by itself is $10 more. So I stopped before I bought it as that didn't make any sense to me. Will I be okay just to buy the expansion pass for XB2?
If you already have Xenoblade 2 then the best way to get Torna is the expansion pass, Torna is also sold as a standalone game, but costs more.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
So do I switch classes for characters and cap then change or is there more to it? Not sure I'm liking it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No I meant are there more types to unlock

No, those are presumably all the types. It looks like the same general breakdown of gems as previous installments with a few new ones filtered in and a few no longer applicable ones cut out.

So do I switch classes for characters and cap then change or is there more to it? Not sure I'm liking it

It appears the intent here, until we unlock level cap increases, is to use a job until capping it and then switch everyone to the next. I'm not a huge fan of the system right now because the AI seems way worse when using jobs outside of their initial roles. Once the job level cap rises and more hero jobs are unlocked, I imagine it'll be a lot easier for jobs to feel more fun rather than an "ugh, I have to make Noah a fucking healer now" thing.

Jun 1, 2021
Up to the start of chapter 3 now, they really improved on both XC1 & 2, that's pretty great.

However, those have to be the most frustrating menu tutorials ever. And some parts are still not explained: what are roles actions exactly for each role? Because that etc. in "Attack the side or back of the enemy with arts, etc." is really not helpful at all. Also is it all arts, or only those that have a positional effect? (it's the latter, I know after having played 10h, but it isn't told anywhere)

It explains role actions well. Essentially.... Play your role. So using side /back attacks if the class uses them, cancel arts where possible, use healing / ring buffs for healers etc. What are you struggling with?

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
It appears the intent here, until we unlock level cap increases, is to use a job until capping it and then switch everyone to the next. I'm not a huge fan of the system right now because the AI seems way worse when using jobs outside of their initial roles. Once the job level cap rises and more hero jobs are unlocked, I imagine it'll be a lot easier for jobs to feel more fun rather than an "ugh, I have to make Noah a fucking healer now" thing.
Exactly how I feel. Thats why I'm not liking it. But again, I'm still early in the game so I will wait and see how that turns out

Jun 1, 2021
No, those are presumably all the types. It looks like the same general breakdown of gems as previous installments with a few new ones filtered in and a few no longer applicable ones cut out.

You don't have to do anything. Don't make Noah a healer if you don't want. It's not forcing you to do that at all. Pick a class you want to master and then swap back.