• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
anyone know why only one of my character's raider io score is no longer showing in my tooltip? its only like that on my main, but on both of my alts it functions how its supposed too. it shows for everyone one else, anyone i mouse over, people in dungeon queue, just not my score in tooltip or the bigger window that shows my best runs for dungeons when i open up the dungeon finder. ive checked rio settings, updated the addon from curse earlier this morning, and it works fine on my other characters.

edit: working now after today's update.

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I've convinced myself to try swapping to Kyrian Paladin from Night Fae Paladin next week. Mostly to push to 1800 in PvP as Ret, and then I can see how I feel about it and maybe swap back.

It's really close for me between the two Covenants. I like both abilities, but like Night Fae more (on paper, at least, since I've never really played with Divine Toll). Night Fae is better for raiding (the main activity I try to optimize for), but Kyrian is obviously extremely dominant for PvP and I want to get 1800 and have my arena season be over. Both are pretty close for M+ but Kyrian probably has the edge on average. Soulshape is probably better than Phial of Serenity and Night Fae likely has better Soulbinds. Kyrian wins on aesthetic, Night Fae wins on music and "culture". So yeah, I'm kind of divided on whether I even want to switch.

But it looks like switching Covenants is actually pretty easy, so I figure I can take Kyrian for a test drive for a couple weeks and see how I end up feeling about it. And then I'll have Renown leveled for both Covenants and can swap as I see fit in the future. It feels kind of exciting, almost like I'm starting a new character without actually having to start a new character. :D

Edit: Man, just looking at Blessing of Season numbers in raids, I'm really going to miss it. I just have to tell myself that I can always swap back. It's just to try it and see if it's as strong for PvP as people say... :D

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Uff. Was doing my +10 De Other Side keystone, the run was going great, but right near the end the other mage in my group suddenly decided to pull as much trash as possible to try and wipe us and then left. Just totally inexplicable asshole behavior since there was never any hint of toxicity in the group. Not only did we avoid wiping, but we 4-manned Mueh'zala after that. Didn't make the key on time but I was done pushing for the week anyway and just wanted that last run to unlock the second vault slot.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe you can help me then. I'm currently lvling my brewmaster and are mostly doing shadowlands dungeons to lvl but i feel like a paper tank compared to my prot paladin.

Shuffle is up all the time and i'm purifying my stagger and combine it with celestial brew whenever i can but i still feel like i'm eating way too much damage. Is this a gear thing that gets better at max lvl or am i missing something?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Maybe you can help me then. I'm currently lvling my brewmaster and are mostly doing shadowlands dungeons to lvl but i feel like a paper tank compared to my prot paladin.

Shuffle is up all the time and i'm purifying my stagger and combine it with celestial brew whenever i can but i still feel like i'm eating way too much damage. Is this a gear thing that gets better at max lvl or am i missing something?
gear helps a ton, but there's a few things you can work on in the meantime as you get more comfortable with the toolkit and the encounters

most important is learning when to purify. in general you want to keep one charge on cooldown so you don't waste any, but you don't want to use both at once if you can avoid it. you'll hit it rotationally and then have a backup for when a big spike comes in.

be sure to pool your healing spheres as well, over time they'll accumulate and you don't want to consume them until you actually need the healing, at which point you can use expel harm or walk into them. when you don't have any healing spheres up, expel harm is cheap instant healing and you should use it.

celestial brew is also something that you'll generally want to be using whenever it comes up, but if you know big damage is coming within 30 seconds it's worth it to sit on it since you can virtually negate most tankbusting abilities with it

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I keep wondering why heroic dungeons still exist. Normal are fine for leveling and doing quests I guess, and people who want gear can do mythics, but heroics? Their upgrade get obsolete so damn fast with WQs and LFR. This was the case with BFA and it's even worse with Shadowlands with the rewards you get from your Covenant campaign that you can just upgrade to 197.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
gear helps a ton, but there's a few things you can work on in the meantime as you get more comfortable with the toolkit and the encounters

most important is learning when to purify. in general you want to keep one charge on cooldown so you don't waste any, but you don't want to use both at once if you can avoid it. you'll hit it rotationally and then have a backup for when a big spike comes in.

be sure to pool your healing spheres as well, over time they'll accumulate and you don't want to consume them until you actually need the healing, at which point you can use expel harm or walk into them. when you don't have any healing spheres up, expel harm is cheap instant healing and you should use it.

celestial brew is also something that you'll generally want to be using whenever it comes up, but if you know big damage is coming within 30 seconds it's worth it to sit on it since you can virtually negate most tankbusting abilities with it
Thanks.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017

Leveling is a bit rougher than when you start getting gear at 60. Berordn mentioned good points. You should have 1 purifying brew on cd at all times (assuming you are taking any damage/have any stagger). Generally for nearly all cases its worthwhile to immediately hit Celestial Brew when it comes off CD (assuming you are taking damage), but as stated can be saved/delayed slightly for known big incoming damage.

I run more or less exclusively dampen harm and use it for any big hit or oh shit moment. If you are getting slammed on by a myriad of mobs don't forget to tail leg sweep. Using stuns/utilities is your friend. Additionally if you feel like you are getting overwhelmed Ring of Peace is a godsend for just keeping everything off/forcing interrupts, additionally you can still keg smash mobs out of range of melee hitting you while in Ring of Peace.

I haven't leveled Prot Pali so I can't give a comparison feeling but my BM definitely felt a lot lot squishier than my DH while dungeon leveling and then absolutely fine at 60.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody here in the EMEA region and would like a BlizzCon pack? Got a free one to give out!
I'd take it :P
Leveling is a bit rougher than when you start getting gear at 60. Berordn mentioned good points. You should have 1 purifying brew on cd at all times (assuming you are taking any damage/have any stagger). Generally for nearly all cases its worthwhile to immediately hit Celestial Brew when it comes off CD (assuming you are taking damage), but as stated can be saved/delayed slightly for known big incoming damage.

I run more or less exclusively dampen harm and use it for any big hit or oh shit moment. If you are getting slammed on by a myriad of mobs don't forget to tail leg sweep. Using stuns/utilities is your friend. Additionally if you feel like you are getting overwhelmed Ring of Peace is a godsend for just keeping everything off/forcing interrupts, additionally you can still keg smash mobs out of range of melee hitting you while in Ring of Peace.

I haven't leveled Prot Pali so I can't give a comparison feeling but my BM definitely felt a lot lot squishier than my DH while dungeon leveling and then absolutely fine at 60.
Hm i guess utilizing stuns more often is something i should do.Thanks.

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
I keep wondering why heroic dungeons still exist. Normal are fine for leveling and doing quests I guess, and people who want gear can do mythics, but heroics? Their upgrade get obsolete so damn fast with WQs and LFR. This was the case with BFA and it's even worse with Shadowlands with the rewards you get from your Covenant campaign that you can just upgrade to 197.

The only reason I can think of is allowing me to make an easy 3k when the satchels are up.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

There are some people who prefer queuing into groups rather than having to apply through the Group Finder (more anonymity, less social pressure). Heroic gives those people a dungeon difficulty they can work towards that isn't entirely trivial in the same way that Normal is required to be.

You could just let people queue for Mythics and cut out the mid tier, but then you have to solve the keystone problem. Can you only put a keystone in to a Mythic you walked to and didn't queue for?

Not to mention you have to solve the legacy case. Would you compress the old Heroic and Mythic variants of dungeons together, including their unique rewards? Or do you mark Heroic in the dropdown UI as "Legacy" for Shadowlands?

Heroic dungeons also served way more of a purpose for the average player in the first month or so of the expansion. WQ and Covenants upgrades weren't nearly as high item level then, and M0 was still intimidating for a good chunk of the playerbase.

In short, I think Heroic dungeons could have been removed for Shadowlands, but keeping them doesn't really cause any issues and means that you don't have to solve a bunch of little weird problems. It's also nice for the people who do like them. WoW has a broad playerbase after all, and I don't think the extra option of Heroic is making the dungeon system feel overly cumbersome for the average player. :D

Last edited:

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Torghast wings set regardless of server/region? Can anyone tell me what they are this week? I'm NA. Thanks.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Welp there goes another week of not being able to get my BiS legendary power from Skoldus. What an awful system. At this rate I'll get my 4th anima tower reinforced first.

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard that if you've unlock Twisting Corridors Layer 3 then you can restart until you get Skoldus for the first 6 floors of the run (since Twisting Corridors is comprised of three back-to-back Torghast wings), and if you complete those first 6 floors then you can get your Legendary.

Wowhead has an article on it here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=320477...be-obtained-in-twisting-corridors-on-any-week

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't done it myself, but I've heard that if you've unlock Twisting Corridors Layer 3 then you can restart until you get Skoldus for the first 6 floors of the run (since Twisting Corridors is comprised of three back-to-back Torghast wings), and if you complete those first 6 floors then you can get your Legendary.

Wowhead has an article on it here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=320477...be-obtained-in-twisting-corridors-on-any-week

Thanks for the info. Still pretty bad, but at least there's something. Powers should've never been tied to Torghast in the first place.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the TC trick is what I used on my Pally alt to get the Shock Barrier legendary. You don't have to complete the layer, just keep refreshing until you see it and then finish the first wing and leave.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Also if you want to make a full TC run, you can reset it until you get Fracture Chambers which is the best level to start the 18 floor run.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I knocked out a +15 HoA and a +16 PF yesterday. In addition to the +15 SoA I did the other day, only five more M+ dungeons until I get KSM!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
my small group seems to have hit a plateau with 12s. We can do most 12s in time easily, but then 13+ we always fail, getting quite frustrating now :/

edit: also random sidenote but the world boss only counts 8% like any other world quest for the "return to previous covenant" quest, and that's bullshit :P

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
my small group seems to have hit a plateau with 12s. We can do most 12s in time easily, but then 13+ we always fail, getting quite frustrating now :/

You'll get there! M+ requires a lot of practice tbh, but the good news is that every new trick you learn for a dungeon carries over to the next week and helps you continually get better.

One useful strategizing tip is to identify which aspect of your group is "falling over" first, and then brainstorm ways to optimize it. Some examples:
  • Is your tank dying on hard pulls? Possible solutions: different tank talents, better cooldown syncing between tank and healer, better CC usage from DPS, specialized outside-the-box strategies for hard pulls.
  • Are random DPS deaths causing you to fall behind? Possible solutions: better usage of interrupts and CC, more focus around dealing with affixes properly, turn hard keys into "science runs" where you diagnose each death and double check your understanding of mechanics.
  • Is there an unreasonable amount of "perfection" required to make the timer? Possible solutions: better gear (comes with time), different routing, different Bloodlust/Prideful usage, various time-focused optimizations (more DPS from healer, less kiting/better grouping from tank).
  • Do you feel like you're struggling with bosses or trash in particular? Can your DPS optimize their talents to better cover the group's weaknesses?
My group was stuck on 13s and 14s a few weeks ago, but we managed to clear 3 (I think?) new 15s last week to bring us to 4/8 overall, so we seem to have found our stride. Our pain point has historically been slightly low DPS (such that we had pretty much zero room for error if we wanted to time a 15), but our Disc Priest went Shadow and our Ret Paladin went Holy, and that seems to have given us a big bump in boss damage. I (tank) am also starting to better understand which pulls are the biggest failure points, so we've been coming up with new strategies for dealing with those.

For instance, we spent a fair amount of time optimizing how to do the first two groups in De Other Side with Bloodlust, but that left us with no cooldowns for the pull on Hakkar's platform which is arguably even scarier and would almost always kill a person or two (often me). We decided to do that Hakkar platform pull more carefully and pull it back onto the stairway, and that made it an order of magnitude easier on our successful DoS 15. We even wiped once to an accidental pull in the Ardenweald area, but we died quickly, recovered quickly, and still made the timer with 2:30 to spare. In past weeks, making the timer after a wipe would have been all but impossible.

Also sometimes you just get crappy keys / crappy affixes / people make mistakes because they're human. It can be tilting, but you'll get there!

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I knocked out a +15 HoA and a +16 PF yesterday. In addition to the +15 SoA I did the other day, only five more M+ dungeons until I get KSM!

Woo! I timed 2 15s today with a group of people I met a week ago - felt really good compared to last week where it was an awful time trying to pug. One was a dupe so I only made progress on 1 dungeon for KSM. This week's affixes are definitely good for pushing, although sanguine can be tough for certain mobs.

Hopefully I can push a few more tomorrow and get halfway there or more. Feeling kind of burnt out but I would still really like AOTC/KSM before I stop for a few weeks.

edit: also random sidenote but the world boss only counts 8% like any other world quest for the "return to previous covenant" quest, and that's bullshit :P

If you run with the same composition every time you can start to analyze your pain points and strengths and weaknesses with certain classes. I don't think there's a big jump from 12 - 13 so it should be doable. 14/15 definitely felt like a larger jump to me and gearwise I don't think 13s really have much benefit.

ToTheMoon lays out some great ways to pick through your run failures - hopefully your fellow teammates are open to criticism and looking through why they died, failing to time a key sucks but the blow is greatly lessened by the fact that you are running with the same people and thus can learn from your mistakes together, rather than just hoping the next pug won't do the same thing.

Last edited:
Blizzcon / Shadowlands OP
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
JUST A HEADS UP:

I will be updating the OP with Blizzcon info relevant to Shadowlands as it's out and as I am able. I'm sure there will be 238463784324 posts in this thread about whatever's announced and teased as well.

That said, I will not be making a thread about anything Shadowlands related outside this OP because, well, let me be frank: I have no interest in engaging the general population of ERA in any talk related to World of Warcraft or Blizzard. If someone else wants to do it, cool. But I'm not interested in a hot take free for all - the same ones we get yearly.

Thank you and good... morning. Enjoy the weekend!

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I now find myself frequently doing the gold world quests from BFA or even Legion content. They reward around 100g less than the Shadowlands WQs, but when you just think about the time investment cost for one second these are usually done near instantly compared to the unusually drawn out Shadowlands quests. Also helps that I'm a mage and can quickly zip around with unlimited teleport spells. Argus usually has a bunch of elite WQs in the vicinity that award gold, and you also earn tons of reputation very fast with Army of the Light/Argussian Reach and can get a couple hundred extra gold from the bonus supplies semi regularly.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I now find myself frequently doing the gold world quests from BFA or even Legion content. They reward around 100g less than the Shadowlands WQs, but when you just think about the time investment cost for one second these are usually done near instantly compared to the unusually drawn out Shadowlands quests. Also helps that I'm a mage and can quickly zip around with unlimited teleport spells. Argus usually has a bunch of elite WQs in the vicinity that award gold, and you also earn tons of reputation very fast with Army of the Light/Argussian Reach and can get a couple hundred extra gold from the bonus supplies semi regularly.

something about SL has lit a fire under my ass when it comes to gold and money making. I've made SO MUCH selling on the AH recently - things I find, crafting with my tailor and scribe, it's insane how much of a cash flow I have now. I've never been this dedicated to turning a profit in game before.

it's almost like a game within itself.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I have bogged down again, this time in Ardenweald. The zone is very nice to look at, I just have completely lost interest/lost the thread of the narrative? I didn't even enjoy BfA on pretty much any level, but I knew where the story was going and how each zone connected and and was vaguely curious to see what happened to Jaina (and then stopped once I unlocked mechagnomes, but I also started the expansion like 6 months before Shadowlands came out).

For some reason with this one, maybe because I started late again and have stopped and started I just feel no narrative flow. Like, I get something bad is happening to the Shadowlands, and each of these zones has its own issues that we are solving. But...they feel very small in a way, and main quests feel less consequential than I recall? Maybe it's because they are classifying more quests as story to help push you through it all without having to do as much side stuff?

I dunno. I really want to get to the end game and see if M+ is fun, do some LFR raiding, get a legendary, but if I can barely get myself through the campaign (58 nearing the end of Ardenweald) I really wonder if I will even enjoy the endgame content? Wish I had a better understanding of what is holding me back with this one.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious whether the people speculating 2x Legendaries are correct - Xuen's Battlegear looks horrendous but I guess if you can fit in 1 more full FoF during WoO while spamming big crit RSKs it could be pretty sick.

I think Xuen's Battlegear got a straight buff that Wowhead misread as a rework. If it still looks horrendous to you, then at least it's less horrendous than it is on live. :P

I'm cautiously excited for the reworked Ardent Defender Legendary though. The cooldown reduction has anti-synergy with existing cooldown reduction for Ardent Defender, so that isn't great...but the idea of being able make AD into a Guardian Spirit-strength Cheat Death effect sounds amazing. If they change (or remove, lol) the cooldown bit, then it's going to be a lot of fun to play around with and a cool way to round out Prot Paladin's Legendary suite.

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I think Xuen's Battlegear got a straight buff that Wowhead misread as a rework. If it still looks horrendous to you, then at least it's less horrendous than it is on live. :P

I'm cautiously excited for the reworked Ardent Defender Legendary though. The cooldown reduction has anti-synergy with existing cooldown reduction for Ardent Defender, so that isn't great...but the idea of being able make AD into a Guardian Spirit-strength Cheat Death effect sounds amazing. If they change (or remove, lol) the cooldown bit, then it's going to be a lot of fun to play around with and a cool way to round out Prot Paladin's Legendary suite.

Yeah I just kind of hate pressing FoF outside of burst lmao so a CDR doesn't sound super appealing esp since it'll throw the flow out of whack a bit. But we'll see! Nice to see they're still touching MW - they still need more but mana efficiency is definitely the biggest issue for stuff like M+ rn.

edit: oh god the placeholder valor numbers are ROUGH

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious whether the people speculating 2x Legendaries are correct - Xuen's Battlegear looks horrendous but I guess if you can fit in 1 more full FoF during WoO while spamming big crit RSKs it could be pretty sick.
If we get that for 9.0.5 then I'd be hyped. Between the huge buffs to exploiter and battlemaster, I think I finally might be able to use something other than Signet of Tormented Kings.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

that Flash Concentration buff is wonderful because even with a weak aura tracking it, I still let it drop a lot (with all the moving from shit or spam healing someone or whatever its easy to let it drop)

in fact there's some substancial changes / buffs there and it gives more reason for there to be some sort of legendary disenchanting / soul ash recovery system imo. Yes yes soul ash is just "time gated" but its quite a bit of time sometimes especially if you waste it on a item you no longer use (which might happen a lot with changes). For example I couldnt upgrade my current holy leggo to 225 this week because I was 30 ash short (my priest had made like 6 different legenaries dont ask).

And my hunter just made the tar trap / flare leggo 235, but that bestial wrath legendary pet crit going from 20% to 40% is a huge buff, but I won't have soul ash for another 235 for many weeks.

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
that Flash Concentration buff is wonderful because even with a weak aura tracking it, I still let it drop a lot (with all the moving from shit or spam healing someone or whatever its easy to let it drop)

in fact there's some substancial changes / buffs there and it gives more reason for there to be some sort of legendary disenchanting / soul ash recovery system imo. Yes yes soul ash is just "time gated" but its quite a bit of time sometimes especially if you waste it on a item you no longer use (which might happen a lot with changes). For example I couldnt upgrade my current holy leggo to 225 this week because I was 30 ash short (my priest had made like 6 different legenaries dont ask).

And my hunter just made the tar trap / flare leggo 235, but that bestial wrath legendary pet crit going from 20% to 40% is a huge buff, but I won't have soul ash for another 235 for many weeks.

They should also allow you to change secondaries by applying new missives and maybe a tiny soul ash cost.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Any chance we might see a discount on Shadowlands? Don't want to buy it only for it to go down in price, even if it's 5 euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.