• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I came back in the prepatch after not playing since WoTlk - rolled quite a few classes and made sure quest, pvp, and instance with them while leveling to get a good feel of them

the ONLY one i've really enjoyed is windwalker monk so that's my main, have been leveling a feral as an alt since that's what i used to play but the low level pvp ain't hitting so not sure if i'll stick with that guy...

Otherwise my WW monk is definitely joining the vampires, inner peace be damned

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Paladins are still very awesome! Ret specializes at dealing big bursts of damage while also bringing a ton of defensive utility for their group, including abilities like Blessing of Protection and Lay on Hands that can single handedly save a group from wiping. A Paladin's weakness is their relative lack of mobility, but they make up for it by being straightforward, hard hitting juggernauts that also pack a bunch of defensive tricks up their sleeve. I also played a Paladin in BC/Wrath, and I'm returning to the class for Shadowlands, so they definitely have my recommendation! :D

In terms of Covenants, all four are pretty well balanced for Paladins, so I recommend picking what you want. I believe Venthyr is technically the "top" DPS pick with a hard-hitting 4-minute cooldown ability, and they also come with a teleport ability to shore up Paladins' limited mobility. Kyrian is kind of meh for pure single target, but they're fantastic in any situation where there are multiple enemies, and they're always a strong pick for Holy. Necrolord got buffed recently, and they bring a solid and consistent damage damage increase; they're a good pick if you want an all-around ability and don't like the idea of Venthyr's 4 minute cooldown. Night Fae is the most controversial of the Covenants, with a suite of Blessings that allow you to buff yourself and your party members. Not everyone likes the idea of buffing their buddies, but I think they actually are more powerful than people give them credit for, and their Soulshape mobility spell shores up Paladins' greatest weakness (moving long distances).

So yeah, if you're looking for the "suggested" pick, it's either Venthyr or Kyrian. But all four Covenants are honestly really good for Paladin, so I'd encourage picking whatever you think will be the most fun for you personally! There aren't any wrong choices.
Probably the best response I could have wished for! Many thanks to you and have a fantastic day :)

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Who is the ugliest main antagonist in the game and why is it the Jailer, especially CG Shrek Jailer

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, new thread! Great job, Prophet! I'm glad to see people have good taste in covenants too.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Last year I started with WoW, was trying to get some kind of linear story playthrough. Started with a Blood elf rogue, played through until I hit the Outlands, where I noticed how barebones something like a major storyline is in BC. Moved on to Northrend, and fell off there.

Picked it up yesterday again, made a Demon hunter and am continuing where I left off in Northrend via Chromie. I heard the story content gets more linear in Cata, so let's see how far I make it this time.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Man for some reason I'm getting "nostalgia" for Legion again. Maybe because I went back to do the Falcosaur quests, but flying over Suramar really brought me back to how much time I spent there.

Like a lot of people here were saying, definitely one of the best expansions. For me, possibly THE best if I set aside my Wrath nostalgia. So many fresh, good ideas. I hope they are willing to be that bold again in the future in terms of just doing away with big features and adding major new ones instead (ie; ditching player weapons, ditching garrisons, adding artifacts and keystones and class halls). Legion was the one and only expansion that I was actually not ready to have end. Usually I'm like "finally" when a new one rolls in but for Legion it was like there was so much I wanted to do but wasn't able to.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go dying to the grave yelling that cata got a bad rap only due to following Wrath. I still think it's objectively a good expac.

Cata was the first time they got paladin tanking right, I think, which is what makes it stand out for me. Wrath was excellent, but you'd still get the occasional boss (I'm looking at you, General Vezax) which still were fundamentally harder for a paladin (In the case of Vezax, a mana drain when our resources were wholly dependent on mana)

But then we perhaps went too far - much as I loved doing it, we probably shouldn't have got our first Heroic Deathwing kill through single-tanking!

Oct 25, 2017
I learned that rogue is not looking too hot so far. And I never picked rogue based on metrics, but I have faith that if they so under perform it will either not be an issue at the level of play I aim for or be addressed in balance patches. Also, not sure if this applies to M+ where it might be a bigger issue, I am mostly talking about raids. M+ I would like to play a class that can perform well, as I like getting invited to groups and top damage.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with acquiring legendaries? Someone was telling me we will need to invest large sums of gold to get the legendary gear. Is that true?

Oct 25, 2017
Last year I started with WoW, was trying to get some kind of linear story playthrough. Started with a Blood elf rogue, played through until I hit the Outlands, where I noticed how barebones something like a major storyline is in BC. Moved on to Northrend, and fell off there.

Picked it up yesterday again, made a Demon hunter and am continuing where I left off in Northrend via Chromie. I heard the story content gets more linear in Cata, so let's see how far I make it this time.

I'd really recommend against a linear story playthrough. Do a different expansion with each alt, IMO. When you started last year, you had to do it all sequentially so your idea made some sense, but that isn't the paradigm of the game design now.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with acquiring legendaries? Someone was telling me we will need to invest large sums of gold to get the legendary gear. Is that true?

Eh, sort of. It's expensive in the long run to have multiple legendaries at the max rank, but it's not something that requires a large immediate gold sink.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

They also have profession elements this time which could be expensive if you buy them from the AH, at least initially. Or you can craft them yourself with professions. That's my plan.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of a bummer to me that they just blindly include mission tables now in every expansion without regard to how it fits thematically or more importantly, whether anyone likes it. It's just boring, shallow busy work at this point and yes, while you could argue that it only takes a couple seconds (true), I have yet to meet a single player who actively likes the feature or would go "I miss the follower missions" if they were omitted in the future.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get excited for this, haven't played Pre-patch at all yet. Also I feel like I get excited for every expansion, play casually for a month or two, and then don't touch the game until the next one comes out so kind of fearing the same here, especially because so many other games nowadays want such a time commitment from you, that this will be even harder to juggle. Hoping to still get some fun out of it with the girlfriend though, even if it's short lived.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So ready for Shadowlands. My friend group and I haven't played since MoP. Shadowlands pre patch has been really fun going back campaigns and leveling alts.
Monday can't come soon enough

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to get excited for this, haven't played Pre-patch at all yet. Also I feel like I get excited for every expansion, play casually for a month or two, and then don't touch the game until the next one comes out so kind of fearing the same here, especially because so many other games nowadays want such a time commitment from you, that this will be even harder to juggle. Hoping to still get some fun out of it with the girlfriend though, even if it's short lived.

One thing I know is that even "bad" WoW expansions are still great for a month or two. The leveling is always really good these days, exploring new zones is great fun, and intro dungeons are usually good. I always get my money's worth, even with WoD and BFA.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
Is Torghast designed to be ran with any spec? I don't know a whole lot about it. Managed to avoid a lot of info for Shadowlands to be surprised...for better or worse lol

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Is Torghast designed to be ran with any spec? I don't know a whole lot about it. Managed to avoid a lot of info for Shadowlands to be surprised...for better or worse lol
Yup. You'll probably have an easier time with a DPS spec of some kind though. You can also run it as a group. The whole idea is to get as broken as humanly possible by mixing and matching Torghast powers. And you can get STRONG, I was one-shotting shit on the beta after the right mix of powers.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
I am now done with the prepatch lol. Got all my characters leveled. Got all of them the 34 slot bag. Now I impatiently wait until monday

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm in bit of a predicament with the professions, currently I have LW and Alchemy on my monk from BfA but I probably will drop one for either skinning or herb to support the crafting since I won't have time to play with my herb/skinning alt for a while.

I feel like Alchemy has always been a top tier profession to have though. Any word if LW is good in Shadowlands? That is the one I preferred originally but dropped skinning after LW kinda became useless for late game.
Reposting this just in case someone can throw a tip, gonna jump in tonight!

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. You'll probably have an easier time with a DPS spec of some kind though. You can also run it as a group. The whole idea is to get as broken as humanly possible by mixing and matching Torghast powers. And you can get STRONG, I was one-shotting shit on the beta after the right mix of powers.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
finally found the thing that might make me want to play again... Animal Companion is finally not only competitive but apparently the go-to for BM.

I was gutted when I "had" to lose my second pet from Legion because when BFA turned Hati into a talent (aka Animal Compantion) the talent itself was bad because the second pet wouldnt get any of the bonuses or something, I guess they fixed that for it to be competitive / the best now?

I was under the impression that it was also the best option for the bulk of BfA?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't remember exactly when it was tuned, but I remember it being good for quite a while.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
The one drawback of animal companion is that it debuffs the damage of both pets. So some other talents reliant on base pet damage are less good due to that, but it's not obvious in game.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Reposting this just in case someone can throw a tip, gonna jump in tonight!

I'll give you the perspective of someone who uses professions to make stuff and sell it for gold. Alchemy is A tier when there is a raid, but expect a lot of competition and constant cancel scans. Other than that, not really that good for now, it's extremely seasonal.

Leatherworking is really good this expac but expect to spend tons on mats since you have both mail and leather gear.

If you want to get into legendary base item crafting, you are going to need LOTS of gold, no matter the profession. Blacksmithing is THE most expensive based on the amount of ores needed, specifically the rare ores. Tailoring is the cheapest, but that also means there will be more competition and there are lower margins since the materials are so common.

This is the most up to date tier list and explanation of SL professions you will find online right now:

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The one drawback of animal companion is that it debuffs the damage of both pets. So some other talents reliant on base pet damage are less good due to that, but it's not obvious in game.

is that still the case? because the tooltip doesnt mention it anymore, maybe that was the change/buff? I remember it saying both pets will do 30% less dmg or something.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I came back in the prepatch after not playing since WoTlk - rolled quite a few classes and made sure quest, pvp, and instance with them while leveling to get a good feel of them

the ONLY one i've really enjoyed is windwalker monk so that's my main, have been leveling a feral as an alt since that's what i used to play but the low level pvp ain't hitting so not sure if i'll stick with that guy...

Otherwise my WW monk is definitely joining the vampires, inner peace be damned

Feral pvp picked up a lot in my late 30s, 2v1ing people just like the old days

ferals back on the menu for me

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Anyone know what the early ilvls are in the new expansion? Just wondering if it's worth getting these ilvl 100 "catch up" items, given my mains are only about ilvl 70-ish average.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what the early ilvls are in the new expansion? Just wondering if it's worth getting these ilvl 100 "catch up" items, given my mains are only about ilvl 70-ish average.
Honestly, they're super easy to get. You might replace them fast, depending on luck and quest rewards, but they'll make the stretch of the game where they are useful easier to level through. And odds are you won't be able to replace all of them right away.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I still cannot decide what class I want to play for SL. I envy people who just stick with one main character forever.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Ilvl 100 is equivalent to Normal Nya'lotha raid gear. While I don't think it'll be necessary to have to just run happily into the Shadowlands it definitely won't hurt.

And if you end up playing alts and do the "new game+" version of leveling it'll probably help even more. Aside from that, you'll be okay either way. Things may hit a bit harder and you a bit weaker but you won't be completely useless.

ALSO:
sddefault.png

Last edited:

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
How's DK these days? Blood/Unholy? I'm tired of playing Prot/Fury Warrior.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
How's DK these days? Blood/Unholy? I'm tired of playing Prot/Fury Warrior.

I love love love Blood DK. It's my main. We're a little weird at 50 because we lost Ossuary in the prepatch since they made it baseline in SL but we'll get it back at 58 and be god tier. Legit, we're looking very powerful out the gate. My favorite tanking spec bar none. And we get our two best Legiondaries back in SL so you can make your self even more god mode down the line. Love it.

I've only ever played Unholy once and I one shot the Mage Tower with it but past that I couldn't tell you anything about it. I am a frost dude otherwise. I love that spec a lot as well. It's so.... cool.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
so with twitch no having addon management anymore soon what will be the best way to manage/update? ive heard overwolf is bad for a variety of reasons.

Link to WoW Up Addon Manager Client
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I love love love Blood DK. It's my main. We're a little weird at 50 because we lost Ossuary in the prepatch since they made it baseline in SL but we'll get it back at 58 and be god tier. Legit, we're looking very powerful out the gate. My favorite tanking spec bar none. And we get our two best Legiondaries back in SL so you can make your self even more god mode down the line. Love it.

I've only ever played Unholy once and I one shot the Mage Tower with it but past that I couldn't tell you anything about it. I am a frost dude otherwise. I love that spec a lot as well. It's so.... cool.
What covenant is best for DK? I have mained a Prot since vanilla launch with Hunter/Rogue as my alts and i am finally switching it up. Looking at DK and Priest this go around.

I never gave healing a chance until i played FFXIV and i am very fond it.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you the perspective of someone who uses professions to make stuff and sell it for gold. Alchemy is A tier when there is a raid, but expect a lot of competition and constant cancel scans. Other than that, not really that good for now, it's extremely seasonal.

Leatherworking is really good this expac but expect to spend tons on mats since you have both mail and leather gear.

If you want to get into legendary base item crafting, you are going to need LOTS of gold, no matter the profession. Blacksmithing is THE most expensive based on the amount of ores needed, specifically the rare ores. Tailoring is the cheapest, but that also means there will be more competition and there are lower margins since the materials are so common.

This is the most up to date tier list and explanation of SL professions you will find online right now:

Thanks for sharing that video. Really helpful.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for sharing that video. Really helpful.
You are very welcome! Before you get too excited on the new legendary crafts, might want to check out Mantieus' latest video on the costs and his spreadsheet. Things are not looking too good if you don't have lots of gold to begin with. Tailoring was adjusted a bit to lower costs but I don't know about the rest.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know an easy way to find a Heroic N'zoth run for gold? I got lazy about doing it for a while and am regretting it now D:

Status
Not open for further replies.