• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So, weird question: is there a way to sim a different covenant's ability and soulbind? I've figured out how to use raidbot to sim a different covenant's soulbind, but it still sims with the ability I have now so I don't get a great picture of what my damage would look like if I swapped.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
So, weird question: is there a way to sim a different covenant's ability and soulbind? I've figured out how to use raidbot to sim a different covenant's soulbind, but it still sims with the ability I have now so I don't get a great picture of what my damage would look like if I swapped.
You can manually change covenant in the simc string for raidbots, looks like it works?

edit: tried it myself and it actually doesn't, in the output it says the new covenant but the damage breakdown is using the old covenant ability

Last edited:

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Got my first +15 timed yesterday. It took some time but building a team of players that fit the same vibes as I do really helps in chaining runs and keeping M+ bearable. Even 1 or 2 players on the same wavelength can save runs from being a super frustrating experience.

With all the nerfs I hope I can get KSM in the next couple weeks.
Yeah for sure. We have a group of 6-7 players from the guild to do our keys and just having that steady group makes a big difference. Doing M+ also increases your skill a lot compared to raiding I feel. You really need to use your class ability and utility to it's fullest in M+. Which is like not the case in raids. It's probably no coincidence that the people who do the highest M+ keys in our guild also perform the best during our raids.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is the first expansion where I can't really be bothered to redo raids (currently just an lfr raider)

They feel like more of a chore somehow and less fun.

Enjoying the expansion overall though.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Well, work on pugging heroic Sire is... progressing. Got him to 43% yesterday with a semi competent group.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for sure. We have a group of 6-7 players from the guild to do our keys and just having that steady group makes a big difference. Doing M+ also increases your skill a lot compared to raiding I feel. You really need to use your class ability and utility to it's fullest in M+. Which is like not the case in raids. It's probably no coincidence that the people who do the highest M+ keys in our guild also perform the best during our raids.

It definitely amps up your personal responsibility, which can then translate directly to raid when you have to do mechanics. As melee in raid I definitely feel I'm just fully tunnelling 90% of the bosses unless I get targeted with a circle to run out or something or there's a raid-wide mechanic that everyone has to do.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Timed a +15 Spires and Mists. Just need HoA and NW for the mount now. This week is really easy when it comes to affixes.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Really dont get the lack of a flightmaster's whistle

I'd be ok with never having flying if I at least had the whistle.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
What is the point of the covenant hearthstone toy when it shares the same location and cooldown of your current hearthstone?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Arcane scaling seems kind of nuts with the prideful buff and how the class mechanics work. It must be the mana regen constantly keeping me topped off while also having the Enlightened talent. Alongside power infusion from priests I'm doing 8-10k dps on mythic bosses.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the covenant transport options is meant to be a sufficient implementation of that, and it is... in your home zone.
I'm pissed because I bought that upgrade thinking it could be used anywhere, because it doesn't say it can only be used in your home zone.

Who writes these awful tooltips. I shouldn't have to go to the Wowhead comments to find out what something actually does.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What's the recommended average ilvl to attempt mythic dungeons? Kind of new to this mythic thing... I'm playing a mistweaver and I'm sitting at 199.99.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
oh nice, guess I'll give that a try tomorrow. I would have never expected to have that much fun with wow again since I quit after wotlk. This expansion is really great.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm having the same issue today that I did in Fall 2004. I get my main to 60 and slowly lose interest in the main grind while juggling my alts trying to get them to 60. Some things never change.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
This is the first expansion where I can't really be bothered to redo raids (currently just an lfr raider)

They feel like more of a chore somehow and less fun.

Enjoying the expansion overall though.

Seems like it's going to be similar to BFA where it is pointless to do LFR based on the iLvl, only the first like maybe 2 wings had potential upgrades, the final 2 wings came way too late and none of the gear was upgrades vs world quests, covenant or PVP

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Well, I'm starting to get burnt out finally and am thinking of taking a break. 4/10 Mythic Castle Nathria doing 2 nights a week raiding and have cleared a couple of +15 M+ dungeons. I've been having a hard time finding M+ groups even in my guild (they are kind of clique-y in terms of who runs together) and pugging, when I can find a group, is more often than not a bust. The raid... Is okay, but I can't say that I'm particularly enjoying the Mythic difficulty grind especially when loot is so sparse. Even though I'm a Rogue (Outlaw, primarily), I don't really enjoy WoW PVP either.

Since I've mostly been playing a single character, I decided to get an alt 60 and aligned with a covenant. Once that happened I immediately had the feeling like I couldn't be bothered to do the whole loop all over again. Hard to see myself continuing along at this juncture. Have enjoyed what I've played for S'lands so far, but I think I've hit my expiration point until the next big content patch, and even that is questionable unless they bring something really unique.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
why the fuck doesnt the Necrolord cloth set have a robe option for the chest, like nightfae mail has for example?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
0uOsPY6.png

It's done!

I started healing on my Paladin again and decided to go for the dungeons I needed to finish off Keystone Master. H Pally is so fun for keys. Great damage and easy burst healing.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
We hit 8/10 Heroic tonight. I'm pretty confident that Stone Generals will die next week.

My group is pretty much exactly where you are - we have one full night to try to get them down this week after about 10 wipes last raid night. We got to around Grashaal intermission I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get it down tonight. I'm kind of dreading Sire though since we have a relatively big group and dodging 100% of massacre seems scary.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I had 2 attempts on the last boss of layer 1 of floor 18 on Corridors. The first time I died due to my elemental not getting aggro quick enough. The second time he just despanwed. Both fights took about 15 minutes.

I rage quit. I'll do it again when I have better gear but that really felt like a huge time sink and generally not challenging compared to a CM or Mage Tower.

Oct 25, 2017
I had 2 attempts on the last boss of layer 1 of floor 18 on Corridors. The first time I died due to my elemental not getting aggro quick enough. The second time he just despanwed. Both fights took about 15 minutes.

I rage quit. I'll do it again when I have better gear but that really felt like a huge time sink and generally not challenging compared to a CM or Mage Tower.

I kinda feel like by floor 18, your starting gear is not a huge factor. Maybe your legendary is? Dunno. Just seem super powerful by 18 based on the buffs and less on your starting stats. And with weak powers even with high ilvl you can fail. So maybe that was the case?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like by floor 18, your starting gear is not a huge factor. Maybe your legendary is? Dunno. Just seem super powerful by 18 based on the buffs and less on your starting stats. And with weak powers even with high ilvl you can fail. So maybe that was the case?

I found it easier once my gear went from around 170 to 190. I was able to finish Layer 8 solo around 190. I actually swapped legendaries mid run. I started a run with the monk insta kill legendary (Death Touch cooldown) and rotated it out once I got the cooldown totally removed. Your legendary level doesn't matter since the special skill works the same at every ilevel.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I had to take most of a week off after my last post because of travel, but played enough to get to level 57 and....I am still really, really struggling to keep going. The story loop is pretty interesting, but the pacing is glacial and the quests feel much more like a chore than BfA and Legion, and I can't even really pinpoint why? It feels too long, the flight paths are never quite where you need them, etc.

I really want to push through and hit 60 and see how it feels at endgame, but its been hard to push myself forward.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any reason to do callings after you've maxed the rep? Renown only comes from weeklies, right?

Personally, I do them for the money. It's an easy ~2k and all you gotta do is like 3-4 world quests, sometimes a single elite one. But yeah, there's also the free bag every 10k rep. There's even a rare chance to get an upgrade if you're casual like me lol.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Callings can also give Conduits, up to 200.

Fun story: I bought a Conduit Upgrade from Ve'nari to start burning through my Stygia. On the way back to my hall, I realized that I actually still had one 184 Conduit left that I didn't want to upgrade (a situational Finesse one). Lo and behold, I turned in a Calling when I got back, got the 200 upgrade to the Finesse one, turned that in, did my Ve'nari upgrade...and it RNG upgraded my best Potency to 213. :D

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Callings can also give Conduits, up to 200.

Fun story: I bought a Conduit Upgrade from Ve'nari to start burning through my Stygia. On the way back to my hall, I realized that I actually still had one 184 Conduit left that I didn't want to upgrade (a situational Finesse one). Lo and behold, I turned in a Calling when I got back, got the 200 upgrade to the Finesse one, turned that in, did my Ve'nari upgrade...and it RNG upgraded my best Potency to 213. :D

Nice! I did the Ve'nari run back while killing some time and managed to get Calculated Strikes after about 4 or 5. Figured that's as best as I can do since I have like 11 other potencies and Coordinated Offensive is technically a PVP one that I can get if I just get to 1600.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
anyone that uses ElvUI can help me with a couple of annoyances?

1 - how can I disable the buff "cast bars" above my player frame (in this case the timewarp timer)? I already have my buffs to the right there, I dont need it twice

66Ngyzg.png

2 - how can I move this "interrupts on cooldown" frame? it doesnt show on ElvUI when I toggle anchors and it's smack dab in the middle of the screen, which when you're in a raid, it becomes a huge list

QRVJLYV.png

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2 - how can I move this "interrupts on cooldown" frame? it doesnt show on ElvUI when I toggle anchors and it's smack dab in the middle of the screen, which when you're in a raid, it becomes a huge list

QRVJLYV.png
That doesn't quite look like a ElvUI frame, did you install another addon at the same time ?

I actually installed ElvUI yesterday as well, took me almost 2 hours to configure it... Now I need to try it out in a raid.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't quite look like a ElvUI frame, did you install another addon at the same time ?

I actually installed ElvUI yesterday as well, took me almost 2 hours to configure it... Now I need to try it out in a raid.

yeah I dont think its from elvui either, need to figure out what it is :(

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
anyone that uses ElvUI can help me with a couple of annoyances?

1 - how can I disable the buff "cast bars" above my player frame (in this case the timewarp timer)? I already have my buffs to the right there, I dont need it twice

66Ngyzg.png

QRVJLYV.png

Looks like either a PVP CD tracker or a Weakaura tracking interrupts.

For the buff bars you can try running the setup again, but just clicking next until you get to the Auras part where it has two options - Bars and 'Icons Only', and then clicking Icons Only. There's probably an option tucked away somewhere in the buff page but off the top of my head that's the easiest way to explain.

edit: OK I just tried it and the setup method works, but you can also go to UnitFrames > Individual Units > Player and then disable Aura Bars and enable Buffs. You might have to do some offsetting or attach it to your frame for it to stick.

Last edited:

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
Okay, so am I correct that because of how soulbinds/conduits work, I can't really multi spec in Shadowlands? Very disappointed. I really wanted to work on tanking gear for prot warrior in PVE and work on a set of DPS gear for Arms warrior pvp . :(

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so am I correct that because of how soulbinds/conduits work, I can't really multi spec in Shadowlands? Very disappointed. I really wanted to work on tanking gear for prot warrior in PVE and work on a set of DPS gear for Arms warrior pvp . :(

you can have different soulbinds for different specs and it will change automatically, but if you have the same soulbind on two (or three) specs, it wont change the conduits unfortunately

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

You can definitely multispec but it is difficult to optimize and minmax both perfectly. There's conduit energy which prevents constantly reapplying conduits, but like Rhaknar said you can choose different soulbinds as well as different paths for each soulbind. So you can lose out on an extra potency slot or a specific soulbind power to prioritize your main spec.

What is the larger issue is if you have a class with separate covenants that are BiS. You have to decide on a covenant to "main" and can't really hotswap with ease. In your case Arms is still relatively alright with Spear of Bastion in PVP, although I believe most Arms warriors are using Venthyr for Condemn.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
You can definitely multispec but it is difficult to optimize and minmax both perfectly. There's conduit energy which prevents constantly reapplying conduits, but like Rhaknar said you can choose different soulbinds as well as different paths for each soulbind. So you can lose out on an extra potency slot or a specific soulbind power to prioritize your main spec.

What is the larger issue is if you have a class with separate covenants that are BiS. You have to decide on a covenant to "main" and can't really hotswap with ease. In your case Arms is still relatively alright with Spear of Bastion in PVP, although I believe most Arms warriors are using Venthyr for Condemn.
Got it! So ideally I might want to have a different soulbind for arms and prot? Thanks!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Got it! So ideally I might want to have a different soulbind for arms and prot? Thanks!

It'll depend on the strength of your soulbind abilities vs your potency conduits. A lot of this is class/spec or even content specific so it's difficult to make blanket suggestions. As a hypothetical, you may find that Forgelite Prime Mikanikos is best for Arms PVP, while Pelagos is best for Prot PVE. In that case you don't have to worry about swapping around and can have two separate soulbinds with your best abilities and conduits without issue. But if Pelagos is best for both Arms PVP and Prot PVE, you will have to weigh the benefits of each and figure out whether Mikanikos' ability along with a fresh set of potency slots is better than Pelagos' abilities while either sharing or avoiding potency slots (as they may be taken up by a spec-specific conduit).

In some cases we're talking about marginal differences, 1-2% so it might not really matter which you pick. In other cases the differences can be more pronounced or the ability provided is so unique that you have to have it for the content you're doing.

EDIT: As an example, I'm a Kyrian Windwalker Monk but I also have a Mistweaver and Brewmaster offspec. I don't really play those much, mostly for Heroic dungeons for veiled augment runes and Torghast - maybe the occasional M+. I prioritise WW fully and as a result Pelagos is decked out with full WW-focused conduits. I use Kleia for Mistweaver with the Mistweaver conduits and Mikanikos as my Brewmaster. Alternatively, as Pelagos is also strong for Brewmaster, I have a different path for Pelagos with a Brewmaster conduit. In my case, I'm not really bothered too much if my Brewmaster or Mistweaver isn't 100% optimised - the gear I have should be more than enough to carry whatever deficits are brought on by suboptimal conduits and soulbinds. However if you want to try playing two or more specs at their best, you might find yourself having to pick one over the other.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely dedicate a Soulbind per spec. If you want to use a single Soulbind for two specs, you can select a different "path" through the Soulbind for each spec and it will remember and swap automatically. So for instance, you can select a path that chooses Potency slots for Arms, and a path that chooses Endurance slots for Protection, and then put shared Conduits (like the one empowering your Covenant ability) in the shared slots.

As was said, it's hard to maximize every spec perfectly if you're sharing Soulbinds, but it's easy as long as you're willing to give up a bit of DPS for some extra survivability or utility.

Also, you can swap around Soulbinds and your "path" through them in any location where you could normally swap talents. The only part of the process with any cost is when you switch what Conduits is in a slot.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
1M27T3w.jpg

Finished keystone master today. Feels good since clearing the raid on heroic and getting this mount were my only 2 goals for this patch. :D

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Valor points confirmed to come in 9.0.5!

us.forums.blizzard.com

Patch 9.0.5 PTR is Now Available

We’ve opened the Public Test Realm (PTR) for Patch 9.0.5, the next update to World of Warcraft, which is now in-testing and expected to be released in March. This update will be a bit different from our usual patches. It’s focused almost entirely on systems, responding to community feedback...

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Valor points confirmed to come in 9.0.5!

us.forums.blizzard.com

Patch 9.0.5 PTR is Now Available

We’ve opened the Public Test Realm (PTR) for Patch 9.0.5, the next update to World of Warcraft, which is now in-testing and expected to be released in March. This update will be a bit different from our usual patches. It’s focused almost entirely on systems, responding to community feedback...
So stop throwing away any gear that drops in M+

Status
Not open for further replies.