• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Yesterday I finished the game with the secret ending. I really really hope Housemarque is planning a DLC, I need more of this. Going for the platinum just for fun

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a list of the items you unlock after entering the house?

I entered the house for the 3rd time after unlocking the 3rd biome and after I was out it said I unlocked an item but idk wtf it is lol.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone else's favorite gun type? I'm between the carbine and hollowseeker atm

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Just popping by to say I really, really enjoy this game.
I am 10 hours in taking my time exploring everything, died plenty of times in the first Biome, died three times in the second Biome now.
Not really good in this game but damn this is a lot of fun to play.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone else's favorite gun type? I'm between the carbine and hollowseeker atm

Those are the ones I use most. I got this perk on the carbine that made it shoot faster over time. That felt OP. I haven't found any other weapons since I'm still stuck at the second part.

Why do I have to work? I need to grind and get better!

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Carbine got me through Drone city in L3 so it's a the top of the list for now. Also Leech has just starting popping up and that's a pretty great skill to have.

Hallowseeker i typically hate unless it has serrated rounds or some cool shit like portal.

Shotgun - slug is the variant i like, don't typically rock this over a carbine.

Rocket - got me killed too much with drones so have left it alone recently.

Pylon - haven't used it yet

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
I guess it was already discussed, but what is our conclusion on the controller vibration during rain? The fact that it sometimes works for like 20 seconds and then stops until you enter some random room later – is it a bug or devs just didn't program it to work all the time? Idk, to me it feels like a bug. I did some tests (in the same room) - If you stand in the rain and vibration works, when you hide under something to cover, it stops, but if you step back in the rain it might or might not start to vibrate again. Sometimes it stops completely after you hid yourself once and won't vibrate again at all, but sometimes it works like clockwork and starts vibration every time the character steps back into the rain from cover.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So are weapon types locked by biomes? Only have pistol, carbine, shotgun and hollowseeker and 2nd boss takes forever (until it gets to the charging and blade attacking part and melts me), can I hope for a new gun type?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Pistol: Meh
Carbine: Always reliable. Both the spin-up and slow-but-powerful firing modes remind me of Destiny's Suros weapon in a good way.
Pylon: Great damage potential but not that fun to use.
Shotgun: Fells great and is fun to use in the first biome but lack of range makes it harder to justify with more flying enemies.
Hollowseeker: For me this is just a worse Carbine because the bullets travel slower so you have to aim in front of enemies when you are too far away.
Rocket launcher: Fun to use and great damage potential. This gun basically carried me through the 3rd biome.

Not sure if there are more weapons but if there are, I haven't come across them, yet.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it was already discussed, but what is our conclusion on the controller vibration during rain? The fact that it sometimes works for like 20 seconds and then stops until you enter some random room later – is it a bug or devs just didn't program it to work all the time? Idk, to me it feels like a bug. I did some tests (in the same room) - If you stand in the rain and vibration works, when you hide under something to cover, it stops, but if you step back in the rain it might or might not start to vibrate again. Sometimes it stops completely after you hid yourself once and won't vibrate again at all, but sometimes it works like clockwork and starts vibration every time the character steps back into the rain from cover.

It has worked pretty consistently for me so far but I also haven't had any crashes or stuck doors / teleporters so maybe I'm just lucky.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
So are weapon types locked by biomes? Only have pistol, carbine, shotgun and hollowseeker and 2nd boss takes forever (until it gets to the charging and blade attacking part and melts me), can I hope for a new gun type?

Kind of, you have to unlock them to add them to the weapon pool, and there are weapons you unlock in later biomes or in areas in early biomes which require certain abilities to reach. The four weapons that you mention are all that is available for the 2nd boss, I'd recommend the Carbine or Hollowseeker, don't use the shotgun.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely not great at these types of games, but it could be worse. At least I'm not getting frustrated yet. Made it to the end of the second biome in great condition, but then got my ass handed to me by two sentients in a tight hallway. I'm really taking my sweet time in the first Biome to get some decent gear and health upgrades, but I also feel like I'm kinda wasting precious time there.

So far I'm not finding the weapons to be overly great. Honestly the side-arm is up there as one of the better ones imo.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Rocketlauncher with Automatic trait. Literally melted the final boss
Yup. I carried a level 18 one almost all the way to the final boss but caved and traded it out for a nearly full damage 30 Hollowseeker with 4 traits. I still couldn't tell if it was doing more or less DPS than it.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Yup. I carried a level 18 one all the way almost to the final boss and traded it out for a nearly full damage 30 Hollowseeker with 4 traits, and I still couldn't tell if it was doing more or less DPS than it.
I did the secret ending with a 15 level rocket hahaha is a beast

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I'm going to try and explain my biome three win run for folks who were, like me yesterday, completely down after another draining but ultimately unsuccessful run.

Biome One:

Biome one bores you by now? Well, tough luck, you got to do it all the way, you got to get that snowball running somewhere. Plus, game is superfun and addictive to play so make sure it's a brand new day and you're regenerated and pumped enough, it's a hour and a half task. (+/-)

Your goals for biome one should be:

-prioritising health up purchases
-prioritising health up pickups
-prioritising finding astronaut figurine (if available at shop)
-grind if you don't have enough money, teleport back and fort, go to blue doors only and make sure you know where the skip forward to biome two and three doors are
-Do NOT go straight to biome three after getting your health to 115-120-130%, instead go to biome two after getting at least two three solid artifacts and healths/defense/profficiency ups
-Parasites are tricky, if you find a low integrity fix one, with a solid malignance like damage from fall or acid pool after enemy's death - TAKE IT, for the love of god, it might save your run (!)

Biome Two:

Alright, this is mostly chill now and you know it. Temples are all wide areas, keep your distance, explore A LOT, sidetrack A LOT (basically all of the blue doors are a must).

-Do not go for the drop down surprise rooms (!) Larger OP enemies down there can fuck up your run if you don't have a solid enough gun or your luck is down (!)
-Try to find a solid 7-8-9 profficiency gun with fast projectiles that do DAMAGE OVER TIME. Once you find that, don't ever look back. I killed Nemesis with an eight and refused to pick up 10-13 profficiency pistols and grenade launchers because they weren't as good in the long run; bigger is not always, ahem, better
-You can grind a lot before the temple here but if by temple skip portal you feel like, shit, this run is going pretty good for me right now - go even further, snowball that beautiful beastie into something even more powerful
-Don't risk malignant chest if you don't have to, go for Moderate risks, save your Ether to Copy your progress further down the level, just in case

Biome Three:

Alright, now for the final push. Basically - DON'T FUCK IT UP. It's been an hour of your hard grinding, you're starting to feel tense but you can do this, I believe in you!

Play it safe. Safe distance, smaller risks, health up, health up until at least 200% (or more, way more, always more).

-Tie Fighters are now just a minor to moderate danger, fuck em up with dmg over time from a distance, use your cooldown advantages... Basically no enemy in biome three can touch you greatly by now, you got this! If, somehow, by now you're not a beast, explore even more in three, but essentially what you got to do here is go for the tower shortcut asap, do your best there and then go for the boss.
-If you're not at full health, with astro figure and at least one health item, use teleport and GET THERE, you need those to win this (!)
-Use whatever is left of your focus and tactic to play it safely here and finally BEAT THE FUCKER

Good luck! ;)

*Forgot to add to this, for Nemesis fight:
Don't sleep on Hollowseeker with DMG over time and seeker perk, you can move and grapple around after couple of rounds towards him, he'll get damage and the bullets will get there as you're trying to stay alive.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I wonder if Housemarque will care if the stat tracking they see on their side shows the majority of casual/average/overall players never make it beyond Biome 1.

To be fair, I don't know how scientific an approach it is however the % completion for the first boss trophy is almost at 50% right now.

Considering the game has only been out for 3 days….that isn't as low as some people here would make out.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
It's crazy I almost have the platinum and still haven't unlocked the last gun. It just doesn't show up.

Hopefully HM solves the broken trophies soon.

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet from Max Dood where he says he feels it's a game just for him, that could be me as well. It sings to me. I'm not even that far in (third biome), but I am in love. Can't see much (if anything) this year that will top this for me.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Hang in there. Biome 3 seemed unbeatable to me due to hours of runs ending in failure during and before even reaching it again. On a great run first thing today, beat the boss in 3. Had 2 big health's and a great carbine.

Yeah, could hopefully happen ;) I defeated boss 1+2 in that way, first run of the day and after that it went downhill every time. Maybe I should only play one run each day ^^

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
This game rocks, when it's not out to fuck you over! XD

My first pre tutorial death run was around 6h and I got to the biome 2 boss and died in its 3rd phase with just some health left.
Started some new runs and got my ass handed. Bad RNG (first room with 10 Asshole-Bats-from-Hell), tired and unfocused mistakes (first ever fall from cliff, bad doges etc.) a little bit of trying out (take damage when picking up items...no comment/Using different weapons) going directly into biome 2 and with the gate to the boss (bad idea) and then I frustratedly called it a day...

Another day, another run. Played cautiosly, evaluated every risk reward situation from parasites etc. and had some RNG luck and cleared the first act in one 7h sitting or so. (with lunch breaks)
WHAT A RIDE! I was constantly shaking, pumped with adrenalin and those 7h felt like mere minutes...just amazing!

Pretty pissed that you have to start Act 2 from scratch (felt sorry for my OP-build) played the first room, went into a secret room and they spawned a LVL17 Titan in it which instantly killed me. Better luck next time...which will be today!

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
...and here I was thinking, that the rain was just a first minute of the game gimmick, because I never felt it again. However, that's a bug I can live with, so far *knock on wood* no crashes, failed inputs and dead-end-rooms.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Done with second biome. Don't know how to feel about the latter 2/3rds of the biome, prefer the first biome's design and its interconnectedness. The boss was great though.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
lol that sounds like fun to you? I'm not sure if you're serious.

I don't think co-op would fit with what Returnal is, but I'd love to see them develop on this gameplay style for more AAA third person / bullet hell hybrids. I think this game does such a good job differentiating itself from just about every third person shooter on the market, just on account of how it borrows its DNA from 2D shooters rather than 3D. It's fascinating to see a developer coming at the two genres here (both roguelike and third person shooter) with a completely different angle to everyone else, and for the most part really nailing it.

For so long we've been getting third person shooters that play the same, or are developed in the same vein. Uncharted, Gears of War, The Last of Us, Outriders, those games aren't all that different at their core, and then a game like Returnal completely shakes up what third person shooters can offer. I'd say the closest things to Returnal are probably Doom Eternal and Vanquish in terms of gameplay.

Either way, it positions itself really uniquely and I'd love to see Housemarque try this style with more casual friendly genres because I think a lot of people would really dig their gameplay style. I love Alienation personally, but it would be a lot more visceral and interesting with an added dimension. I so hope Returnal is doing well so that Housemarque can continue doing what their doing.

It also makes me wonder what Stormdivers would have been. The beta footage I saw looked pretty bad but if it ended up being as polished as this I might have enjoyed it.
Fun? i'm pro-no save state

got to bio 2 boss on my 2nd time to the bio and beat it on first try with extra life. those dam waves i would successfully avoid them like 65% of the time

Done with second biome. Don't know how to feel about the latter 2/3rds of the biome, prefer the first biome's design and its interconnectedness. The boss was great though.
2nd one is just tricking you into thinking the side area's are safe-ish

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
I have not played much so far. Seems to have great core mechanics, but I'm getting a feeling that the build-style rogue mechanics are really lacking.

I've not come across any artifacts or parasites that have made me go 'wow' this significantly changes how I play - like with Hades.

If that does not change as I get further into the game, I feel it could do with a '2.0' version to improve the build variety. I want fun, crazy stuff like dashing through enemies hurts them, or leaves a bomb, enemies explode on death, melee attack changing into different moves (ie double hit), active reloading shoots out electricity, modifies/changes to the adrenaline skills.

I can see so much potential for a great rogue-like. I sort of get the feeling it's not going to hit those heights.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That tweet from Max Dood where he says he feels it's a game just for him, that could be me as well. It sings to me. I'm not even that far in (third biome), but I am in love. Can't see much (if anything) this year that will top this for me.

Pretty much how I feel as well. It managed to nail every single sweet spot for me, especially thematically.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this new patch 1.003 addresses some of these random crashes.
Apparently it's on Sony's side. Whenever a game crashes, unless it's Cyberpunk (lol), it's on their OS still basically being in beta buggy state. Not sure if that is correct but that is what Housemarque said.

Luckily never got a single crash in 20 hours, got one bugged cube I couldn't pick up, that's it.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I have not played much so far. Seems to have great core mechanics, but I'm getting a feeling that the build-style rogue mechanics are really lacking.

I've not come across any artifacts or parasites that have made me go 'wow' this significantly changes how I play - like with Hades.

If that does not change as I get further into the game, I feel it could do with a '2.0' version to improve the build variety. I want fun, crazy stuff like dashing through enemies hurts them, or leaves a bomb, enemies explode on death, melee attack changing into different moves (ie double hit), active reloading shoots out electricity, modifies/changes to the adrenaline skills.

I can see so much potential for a great rogue-like. I sort of get the feeling it's not going to hit those heights.
Everything you listed minus the modify melee attack can be obtain

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Can I just buy the extra 'Digital Deluxe' stuff as an upgrade to my standard digital edition after I have started playing?

If so, I'll likely, and very reluctantly, go this 'pay-to-win' route and thereby get an early unlock of the distinctly OP Electropylon Driver to help get me through Ixion. I've seen what it can do to that boss and Phrike on YT.

Scummy practice by Sony/HM, but if it will help me get past the biome 2 roadblock to see a bit more of the game I've already paid $80 for then I'm not sure I can resist.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Man, I breezed through the third area with a lvl. 10 Hollowseeker and two great traits, didn't pick up any other weapons that were 5+ levels higher because it seemed to wipe the floor with them, but then it didn't deal any damage to the boss there whatsoever for some reason, apart from the alt-fire. Used two vials plus the astronaut and had the first health bar down to 25% after several minutes. Not sure if it was a bug or because it's not a long range weapon, really annoying. At least I got its attack pattern figured out already for the next run...

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I'm deep into the post-game and I've no idea what is the Hollowseeker you're all talking about. Names are localized so can someone describe the archetype? I'm really not sure to have even encountered it, but it seems like it's an early game weapon?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm deep into the post-game and I've no idea what is the Hollowseeker you're all talking about. Names are localized so can someone describe the archetype? I'm really not sure to have even encountered it, but it seems like it's an early game weapon?

I got it on part 2. The ammo meter is like lots of small dots. You for sure have used it. Localized names. :lol

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i got cocky, went into a containment room thought i survived it and it used another wave and i stupidly had left the turrets for last thinking i'd clean up. leaving the turrets up was my downfall

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I got it on part 2. The ammo meter is like lots of small dots. You for sure have used it. Localized names. :lol
Alright thanks. Still don't know what it is but I'll look out for it - so far I don't think I've used anything other than pistol, carbine, shotgun, bestie pylon and the weird weapon that needs ammo to come back before being able to shoot again for more thant a minute.

I've even discarded picking up the rocket launcher after scanning it (as I wanted to keep the pylon obv) and unfortunately I don't think it got added to the spawn pool because I've never seen it since.

Unrelated but I've thought of a stupid piece of advice for people that may be struggling - are you dashing away from incoming damage ? You should be dashing into it most of the time. The rest of the time should be while strafing, and only dashing away when you're overwhelmed or getting surrounded (and in this situation, don't focus on fighting back but on finding an advantageous position).

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Man, I breezed through the third area with a lvl. 10 Hollowseeker and two great traits, didn't pick up any other weapons that were 5+ levels higher because it seemed to wipe the floor with them, but then it didn't deal any damage to the boss there whatsoever for some reason, apart from the alt-fire. Used two vials plus the astronaut and had the first health bar down to 25% after several minutes. Not sure if it was a bug or because it's not a long range weapon, really annoying. At least I got its attack pattern figured out already for the next run...
hollowseekers seem to have a pretty decent range so i dunno how was it not a large enough range