• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the reviews are gonna be pretty good but I'm scared for people that won't be able to get into it due to difficulty. A lot of people are gonn buy this and not understand its gonna death is a mechanic of the game.
Plenty of super-hard games get excellent reviews, including Housemarque's own, and roguelikes aren't an unknown genre. Hades won a decent amount of GotY awards just last year. I know I think highly of Housemarque's games even though I haven't been able to finish a single one on the lowest difficulty.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Since we're talking about difficulty, one thing that I think Returnal has the benefit of in comparison to Housemarque's previous games is the readability of attacks in this are waaaay easier to see than something like Nex Machina. I had a hard time enjoying that game because there's so much shit happening on the screen with the voxels and enemies in tight spaces that it's hard to see the actual projectiles coming at you a lot of the time and it'd get me killed pretty often. The top down perspective also didn't help. With Returnal, they made a point to make the projectiles much easier to see and I think that'll help a lot with the difficulty. The contrast of the darker environments + bright neon projectiles / lasers / etc means it's going to be a lot easier to react to attacks.

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
With the game taking full advantage of the Dual Sense's features, I'm hoping the battery life lasts about as long as when playing Astro (3-4 hours if I remember correctly).

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Returnal, Pokémon Snap, RE Village. RIP my wallet. Game looks damn good and has me excited to boot up the PS5 once again.

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
I feel like I had a 5-6 hour session in Astro's at launch and was still OK with battery? Might be misremembering though!
My memory is a little hazy and it's difficult at times to keep track of the controllers battery life when I'm just trying to enjoy my shiny new toy, but I hope you're right! I don't plan on putting down the controller Friday night until the battery is sucked dry, so we'll find out soon enough!!!

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
My memory is a little hazy and it's difficult at times to keep track of the controllers battery life when I'm just trying to enjoy my shiny new toy, but I hope you're right! I don't plan on putting down the controller Friday night until the battery is sucked dry, so we'll find out soon enough!!!

I am 80% positive it went 5 hours lol. But that's not the highest confidence level.

Godpseed to both of us, IMO.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I got the platinum in Resogun. I should be able to at least hold my own here I figure. Looking forward to Friday!

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
It is. But he mentions media apps and implies that they would cause the game to close. I'm pretty sure that's wrong. You can use Netflix after suspending a game and pick it up afterwards exactly where you left off.

I also didn't get the example about putting it in rest mode at the 2nd level when just about to go to a boss. If I want to keep pressing on, I will? Or did they mean if you wanted to take a break prior to fighting then you could do so?

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

Ehhh I don't like this simply because I don't trust rest mode on the PS5.

I have left my PS5 on rest mode with a game on the background only once...and it crashed and had to rebuild the database.

After that and hearing a lot of people having problems with rest mode I decided to never put the console on rest mode again with a game on the background.

I only use that function to recharge my dual sense and wireless headset, after the charging is done I turn it off.

The problem is that this last month I have started to get crashes on rest even without any game on the background and external HDD connected. It got to a point that I just leave the damn thing on to recharge my peripherals.

Would it hurt to code a proper saving function??

Still, pretty hyped to play the game. It's been a long wait for me ever since it was announced.

Jun 3, 2018
London
I also didn't get the example about putting it in rest mode at the 2nd level when just about to go to a boss. If I want to keep pressing on, I will? Or did they mean if you wanted to take a break prior to fighting then you could do so?

The latter, I think. There is no actual save point by suspending. They just mean that if you have to stop playing at this point, but want to continue later with the boss fight, your only option is suspending.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ehhh I don't like this simply because I don't trust rest mode on the PS5.

I have left my PS5 on rest mode with a game on the background only once...and it crashed and had to rebuild the database.

After that and hearing a lot of people having problems with rest mode I decided to never put the console on rest mode again with a game on the background.

I only use that function to recharge my dual sense and wireless headset, after the charging is done I turn it off.

The problem is that this last month I have started to get crashes on rest even without any game on the background and external HDD connected. It got to a point that I just leave the damn thing on to recharge my peripherals.

Would it hurt to code a proper saving function??

Still, pretty hyped to play the game. It's been a long wait for me ever since it was announced.
I think you should try rest mode again. No lie I've been using it since launch without and issue(my only worry was an external causing issues and I had a good external that works flawlessly) I have zero issues with rest mode.
The ONLY time now it could fuck me over is if there is a system update. So that's the one thing really to worry about. But with the latest updates it's prob fixed your issue.
It is. But he mentions media apps and implies that they would cause the game to close. I'm pretty sure that's wrong. You can use Netflix after suspending a game and pick it up afterwards exactly where you left off.
Yeah, media apps don't interfere with a suspended game. They segregated those two sides for a reason. Right now it's 1 suspended game and 1 media app that can be running. And only if you launch a new game it would close the suspended app.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously nobody knows...but y'all think this could be bigger and get more accolades than Hades? Through word of mouth?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Rest mode is still not an ideal replacement for a proper save state given the length of the good runs. It's better than nothing, at least.

I agree. Feels like the dev was trying to be edgy with the challenge, but it ignores the reality of life for many especially if you bounce between multiple games.