• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I also had my copy delayed via Best Buy. Apparently they got their entire inventory late so I won't be getting it for a day or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the first biome boss a couple times now, last time I thought it was a write off since I only had 1/3 health. Ended up doing much better than the first time with full health, did have the perk that filled my health when it got low.

Think next time if I can go in with full health I should be able to beat it.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Picked up my Best Buy order before work. Glad it wasn't delayed from reading this thread. Hopefully it's a sign that the game is selling pretty well or beyond what Sony expected.
Was thinking the same. It's very difficult to gauge how this game will be received by the general public. I've seen several people offhandedly say it'll just be a cult classic. Maybe? It may be no Bloodborne but it doesn't seem that niche.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Max stream the Game and what i kinda didn't expect is how much this Game is actually exploration focused. I can see this Game being much harder if you want to just run from Combat Room to Combat Room, but i have to say i am impressed how fulfilling an interesting exploration is incorporated into a Game with essentially randomized Layouts.
This offers more compelling reasons to backtrack than "real" Metroidvanias and has some super cool choices you constantly have to make, for example if you leave Health pick ups in a cleared room alone so that you might pick them up later if you are injured or you take them to get more max. health.

God i wish i had a PS5

Yup, explore as much as you can. There will be some areas, things you cant get until later anyway. But exploring help you survive in the long run from finding new things.
Good god the difficulty conversation pre-release was overblown.

I die a fair bit in Nioh/souls/sekiro etc but this is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles easier

On my way to biome 4 and have yet to die. Those containment rooms have gotten me close to death.

yeah died many times more in the the first area in demon souls than in Returnals first biome.
Agree, I had a tougher time with Demon's Souls than this.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Game is super fun and also just melts time away. I'll think I've been playing for maybe 30-45 mins and nearly 2 hours have gone by 😅. Likely put 4-5 hours into it now.

Bosses haven't been nearly as difficult I was led to believe so far. Beat each of the bosses in the first 2 biomes in their first encounter. Have found general encounters and some of those enemies to be more challenging.

Occasionally have found some generic enemy attacks difficult to read/gauge, where the projectiles or their melees come in way faster than expected.

I also find myself yearning for a double jump and double dash, although I have no idea (and don't suspect) if that's in the cards

Question for those past the second biome:
After the first boss, you get a Crimson key, which lets you take the Crimson portal to the 2nd biome. After beating the second boss and going to the Citadel (3rd) biome I didn't have any such key. I've since died, but am confused on how to get back to the citadel biome.

How does one get back to the third biome quickly? Is there a citadel portal reachable within 5-10 mins of going through the crimson portal, or would I have to ascend the mountain in the second biome to get to the 3rd.

The map marker to get to the 3rd biome after dying seemed super far away.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my copy. It's so funny how you want to play right away but the copying process takes a while to do... I don't want to buy digital because if I don't like it I can just trade it back. I just hope I don't run into crashes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp I made it to the 3rd biome on my first run but uh, I need to shower, sleep, and then work.

Nothing will happen if I have it on rest mode for 18ish hours....right?

Hopefully, though I did it last night only to wake up and having it reset but that's because it downloaded an update I think.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
The first boss kicked my ass all over atropos, any advice?

I was using the rifle thing but it seems like the spitmaw does more damage...not sure
I recommend taking your time and keeping your distance with regular enemies. The faster you can get up your weapon proficiency the better. You will be more likely to find stronger weapons before the fight.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
No that's the first playthrough, there is still a lot of game left to play. All the tools gained in Act 2 can now unlock many things in Act 1, which in turn might unlock some other things that were blocked in Act 2. I'm 90% sure there's a Real Ending and Secret Boss, which imo most reviewers did not get to.

That's like beating Hades the first time and never touching it again. You're missing 90% of what made the game a Goty contender.

This was worth the money already
Game is meant to be played multiple times. Like all rogulikes and -lites.
"Finished the game in 5 hours and 56minutes."

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This game.
This. Game.
Insane,I beat the first boss on my 4th run I think and in my first try, ~2 hours and 20 minutes more or less, the second biome is just crazy and the difficulty takes a big step up, fuck it's so good.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, I'm having a blast with the game. Just beat the second boss and getting my ass whooped in the 3rd biome. I'm not the best at this game, I think I've died 15 or so times now, but it's so good.

Mar 19, 2021
Man how did they squeak by without getting docked in reviews for how unreliable this game is. 3 attempts to start, 3 crashes in the very first room, one of which was so bad my console crashed and had to restart in safe mode to verify the storage integrity. Guess I'll have to try reinstalling or something.

That's so weird, I've played around 8-9 hours now with 0 bugs and 0 crashes

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You can enable a run timer in the HUD settings.
Ah nice, also I see it might be good for some to use a dynamic hud if they have an oled
Man how did they squeak by without getting docked in reviews for how unreliable this game is. 3 attempts to start, 3 crashes in the very first room, one of which was so bad my console crashed and had to restart in safe mode to verify the storage integrity. Guess I'll have to try reinstalling or something.
I think day 1 patch introduced some bugs. I haven't encountered any but sometimes items spawning in an unreachable place like water.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Is it completely random when you appear in the ship? Is there a way to get inside it deliberately? Trying to change to default suit in case that fixes my issues.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
"Finished the game in 5 hours and 56minutes."
I've put in probably 9-10 hours so far and only got to the third biome. Your milage varies depending on your skill level. Most people won't breeze through the game. This is generally the case for a lot of Roguelikes. For example, it took me nearly 100 runs in Hades to beat the main story, or over 100 runs in Gungeon to beat the final boss my first time. Other people have had the opposite stories.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Had a great time putting in a few hours today.

Died on the tutorial boss but cleared the first to biomes on my first real run. 3rd biome kicked my ass with swiftness, but I suspect I teleported to a mini boss almost immediately by chance.

This game is so fresh. There's really been nothing like it at this level.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Is it completely random when you appear in the ship? Is there a way to get inside it deliberately? Trying to change to default suit in case that fixes my issues.
Yeah if you are in biome 1 you can back track to it anytime and also if you sleep in it it seemingly gives you your health back.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Do what I did. I had 3 bugs hit me hard last night. So this morning I deleted the game and saved data. Downloaded the game again and haven't had any issues all day. I've had about 8-9 runs without issue.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, just to reiterate from what I said last night but this game is AMAZING.

Just did a 4 hour run. I beat the first boss last night but today I wanted to start from the 1st biome and so far so good.

Just beat the 3rd boss. That was such a great fight. Nex Machina vibes FOR SURE.

I don't know how to comment on the difficulty. It's there, for sure, but I feel if you have experience in difficult games, you should be fine? That and the weapons/artifacts you can find really help.

This is so good.

Fyi, if you come across a little astronaut figurine artifact, that actually revives you once when you die.

I haven't had much time today but when I pick it back up later tonight I'll be starting at biome 4 as well, and agreed on that 3rd boss sort of having Architect vibes. Thanks for the comment on the astronaut I had wondered what the hell resurrected me.

Loving it so far, but am definitely hoping they lean into arcadey type super hard runs as DLC content or something

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
We're both you and your friend using the same suit?
I tried both on my runs, settled on the M9. He was trying out both too, don't know on which he settled to be honest. Did not have any issues at all with the default one and none with the M14.
It also started to happen after unlocking the second biome, for me and for my friend as well.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly feeling the roguelike part of this game, maybe I'm missing something?
I'm never feeling like I'm upgrading anything to make my subsequent runs better or easier?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Anyone who is finding this easy... I hate you lol
giphy.gif

jk learning enemy move and atack patterns are key

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Special shoutout to these motherfuckers for swinging at you twice while your dash cooldown is too long

Severed.jpg

Custom suits cause bugs

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I tried both on my runs, settled on the M9. He was trying out both too, don't know on which he settled to be honest. Did not have any issues at all with the default one and none with the M14.
It also started to happen after unlocking the second biome, for me and for my friend as well.
As you say that. It just happened to me being stuck in a room after laying on a bed, and I had the M14. So yeah custom suit def is the cause it looks like.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Died on the first boss for the second time I was so close. Wish I had an extra life like in my first run, don't know if that was a one time thing or not.
The astronaut figurine

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Confused?? Downed 3rd boss, now I am back at ship with only basic stuff. That meant to happen??

If you're back at the ship and...

Selene mentions something about decades passing by, with the environment having a different shade of lighting and general color palette

...then yes. You're in Act 2 now.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Man, I suck at this game. My first run was awesome - I got all the way to the first boss with no issues, then died. Ever since then, I'm lucky to get to the boss, and when I do I get absolutely clapped by them. I guess just keep trying and hopefully I'll get good?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm getting the worst class setups for the third boss. No artifacts or upgrades that I specifically want and end up losing to him again and again.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget behind the appearance of "adventure-exploration-run&gun" it's a demanding game for concentration and reflexes and your mind will get tired faster than your hands. So like with any From game, the best tips against difficulty walls is to try after a night of sleep.