• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've died 15 times and spent 6 hours in biome 1 so far and still haven't defeated the boss lmao... I'm just shit at this game but loving it anyway
YES! That's me too. I feel like I'll get a good run going and then get into one of those locked down rooms and get plastered. I can't get enough of it though. I'm also getting a lot of things figured out, and feel like I'm making progress.

Feel free to spoiler tag the answers. I have a couple questions:
  1. How do you decrypt a data cube when you find one? I watched the in-game tutorial vid, but wasn't sure where to take them.
  2. Do you find Grapple in the first Biome?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're missing the point. I wouldn't change a thing on the stairs leading up to my door, but I still understand there are people for whom they might present a legitimate problem.

But before I bought the house the builder presented all of the schematics that I was well aware of so I bought the house knowingly and it's a great fucking house despite being huge sometimes with interchanging rooms and even tentacle monsters in the basement. I'm sure there are nicer houses for people who prefer some other types, for sure.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
But before I bought the house the builder presented all of the schematics that I was well aware of so I bought the house knowingly and it's a great fucking house despite being huge sometimes with interchanging rooms and even tentacle monsters in the basement. I'm sure there are nicer houses for people who prefer some other types, for sure.

Uhhhh. Okay. Well as long as the builders understand that if they don't respect my time, they're not getting my money, we're cool.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
YES! That's me too. I feel like I'll get a good run going and then get into one of those locked down rooms and get plastered. I can't get enough of it though. I'm also getting a lot of things figured out, and feel like I'm making progress.

1. How do you decrypt a data cube when you find one? I watched the in-game tutorial vid, but wasn't sure where to take them.

1. I found my first decryption pod after the first boss - which I think is a set-in-stone placement. Could be wrong, but after exploring the first biome a lot, that's the first time I found a place to decrypt the data cube.

2. Yeah, I haven't found it yet. Lots of exploration in the first biome (the sword was there!) and a bit into the second and still no grapple. I'm assuming you find it a tad into the game to incentivize a return to old biomes.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017

1) After you beat a boss, you'll come across a machine that accepts the cube.
2) I believe you get the Grapple after the 2nd boss

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Finally had my first death just before the 3rd boss. Had a couple more on the 3rd biome trying to get back to where I was. The roguelite portion of this game is incredibly minor. You gain basically nothing over the long term and your runs are determined by parasite luck mostly. I thought you'd hold onto a little more.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
For any Resogun fans, there was a WONDERFUL post-partum of Resogun that gives insight into the design process. Hope we see one for Returnal. If anything, it helps me appreciate how much I love Resogun:

www.gamasutra.com

Latest News | Game Developer

Get the latest news on video game development. Read breaking stories, updates, and industry highlights published daily.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I am very curious about the story. Where I'm at (Biome 2) Selene just seems kind of recklessly awful lmao

The Severed definitely showed no signs of higher thinking so I don't feel bad killing one of the Sentients! I mean, I'm not hostile.

*ignores every warning and lies in logs while crashing ship*

I alone deserve Olympus. *book titled abdication of zeus on bedside*

Selene I love you, please calm down.

scasm

Oct 28, 2017
Took a break from taking some pictures of Pokemon to give Returnal some attention, and I'm actually in love with it. Got the first boss down to maybe 1 shot away from death before dying on my first attempt, which feels like beginners luck Dark Souls moment, but man it's so good. Having a blast.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Man I suck at games. My 40 year old slow reflexes. I don't know how people are getting to 3rd biome without dying on first run 🤦‍♂️

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to go home and play this. I have ordered pulse 3d headsets, gnna pick them up soon and dive into the game tonight.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
For any Resogun fans, there was a WONDERFUL post-partum of Resogun that gives insight into the design process. Hope we see one for Returnal. If anything, it helps me appreciate how much I love Resogun:

www.gamasutra.com

Latest News | Game Developer

Get the latest news on video game development. Read breaking stories, updates, and industry highlights published daily.

I was playing resogun on the ps5 a few weeks ago. It's legit my all time favorite shooters.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Ok, did my first run after the tutorial and it went well. I did the house and thoroughly explored the whole zone but then died on the boss (got him about half down). I kind of regretted changing to the shotgun type weapon just before the boss room as it didn't feel right in that situation and I had got used to other guns.

Run 2&3 went terribly by comparison but I now know the icons for the gauntlet rooms.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
First run after the tutorial: got fairly into the 2nd biome. Loving it! The integrity regen parasite needs some nerfing though

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Try and pick up any and all of the green health items you come across. Even if you're at full health. Next to your health bar, there are 2 smaller bars. When you pick up a health item and you're already at full health, one of the smaller bars fills up. If you pick up 2 of them while at full health, you increase your max health a bit.
I don't think this is right? The one that fills up the bars is a different item, called resin.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Shout out to all fellow Biome 1 strugglers. I finally just beat that first boss on about my 10th go, after about 9 hours of play. I needed the wee item that gives you a revive, but otherwise I had pretty basic gear, and it was mostly me learning the boss patterns.

I'm a 53- year-old gamer with glacial reactions, but I managed it and you will too. I fully expect to struggle just as much in biome 2, but it's gonna be fun finding out!

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy really wants me to start going straight digital don't they. I don't remember what it said exactly when I preordered with in store pickup from them but it implied they would have it in on release day. I walk in and ask about it and they say it hasn't arrived and may not for days. WTF.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Good god the difficulty conversation pre-release was overblown.

I die a fair bit in Nioh/souls/sekiro etc but this is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles easier

On my way to biome 4 and have yet to die. Those containment rooms have gotten me close to death.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Utter trash at it, but I'm having fun. I don't feel bad at all for upping the aim assist to high, lol. Played maybe 4 hours, made it to biome 1 boss once and died (even with a certain item). Getting Adrenaline feels very rewarding. My mind boggles a bit at all the different upgrade elements and I do wish the game was a bit more clear at what things are permanent, but I'll get the hang of it

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Has anyone had issues with picking up the Astronaut figurine - Artefact outside the House in the Overgrown Ruins Biome?
Went inside the house, came out but I couldn't intact with the figurine, scan it or anything.
All the exits were sealed and I couldn't get back into the house either. I had to start a new run in the end.

Got back to the house (which was locked) and the figurine had disappeared and not showing up in the databank.
On the latest 1.003 patch. Weird

VNKaCbU.png

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018

I die a fair bit in Nioh/souls/sekiro etc but this is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles easier

On my way to biome 4 and have yet to die. Those containment rooms have gotten me close to death.
yeah died many times more in the the first area in demon souls than in Returnals first biome.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered way back in December for pickup (had a gift card and an expiring promo code) and I'm starting to think it won't be available today. Kind of a shitshow.

It also now looks like all stores within 250 miles don't have any stock. I luckily ended up getting a copy at Target, but even they're almost all sold out in the NYC area now.

But yeah, Best Buy used to be a great place for ordering games (even post GCU) but it's starting to look like that's shifting dramatically.

whoa. Just checked both target and gamestop as Best Buy doesn't seem like it's gonna happen today, and all 3 stores don't have any in store stock for any store in like 50+ mile radius from me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I don't find it that hard either at least so far
Has anyone had issues with picking up the Astronaut figurine - Artefact outside the House in the Overgrown Ruins Biome?
Went inside the house, came out but I couldn't intact with the figurine, scan it or anything.
All the exits were sealed and I couldn't get back into the house either. I had to start a new run in the end.

Got back to the house (which was locked) and the figurine had disappeared and not showing up in the databank.
On the latest 1.003 patch. Weird
Did you have a remapped controller? Some people have had issues and when it pops up if you reset your scheme it fixed it, housemarque is aware of the bug.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy really wants me to start going straight digital don't they. I don't remember what it said exactly when I preordered with in store pickup from them but it implied they would have it in on release day. I walk in and ask about it and they say it hasn't arrived and may not for days. WTF.

there must be something going on because Best Buy in general is pretty reliable for release day pickups. None of the Best Buy's in a huge radius from me have any stock either.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
btw what happened with the online player corpses? I havent seen one and i played 6+ hours

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
DAMN I am having a wonderful time! About 2.5 hours in (would've been lots more, but I had my second vaccine shot today) and haven't even beat the first boss yet. The "difficulty" in a game like this is a complete non-issue for me, since I know it's all about learning and incremental improvements. This game is definitely NOT a race for me - it's a marathon.

Also absolutely LOVE the haptics. I'd probably say I think Astro's Playroom is still the king in that department, but I've got plenty more of Returnal to play.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
This is my 3rd biome boss kill, first run first try etc. So pumped. Obvious spoiler.

Close to dying now in 4th biome...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered way back in December for pickup (had a gift card and an expiring promo code) and I'm starting to think it won't be available today. Kind of a shitshow.

It also now looks like all stores within 250 miles don't have any stock. I luckily ended up getting a copy at Target, but even they're almost all sold out in the NYC area now.

But yeah, Best Buy used to be a great place for ordering games (even post GCU) but it's starting to look like that's shifting dramatically.
Cancelled mine and went with Target as well. Guess I'll use my gift card for something else at BBY later. Red Card makes that MSRP sting just a little less.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just found out who made the music for this game. It's Bobby Krlic / Haxan Cloak, the guy who did music for Midsommar, among other things.
No wonder it sounds completely freaking amazing.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Hey on the ship computer it says there is something unindentified in the cargo and recommends removal. Where is the cargo? I ran laps around the ship inside and outside but couldn't figure it out.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020

Same thing happened to me lol It seems like none of the stores in my area got their shipments.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Got surprising astronaut figurine, forgot about it and then critical malfunction destroyed it instead of some useless spikes.i almost quit the game. Fml