• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Got I hope Housemarque riffs on this gameplay. Make it insanely tough and give me a triple dash like Nex. Can you imagine?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
yup lol

some bizarre design choices in this game tbh
I mean, they're called daily challenges for a reason.

edit: I guess it can be weird if you come from gachas/GaaS/MMOs where dailies just mean things that rotate out daily, but in rougelites this is how they've always worked.

Last edited:

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Got I hope Housemarque riffs on this gameplay. Make it insanely tough and give me a triple dash like Nex. Can you imagine?

I really think there's opportunity to improve the dash in this game. I only ever saw one or two minor upgrades. But some more upgrades and shorter cool downs would go a long way to making you feel more powerful.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda bummed...I just find the game too hard, or rather I find a lack of satisfying progression. I just wish there was something to keep me moving forward, but I don't have the time to burn 3-4 hour increments with no worthwhile progress. I dislike having to go through the first area again just to get powered up enough to tackle the second just to die in a fluky (or new) way.

I think the rogue elements of the game undercut the gameplay. It's a shame, because I like basically everything else - gameplay, movement, even intrigued by the story. I really like rogue likes, but this isn't the game for me, I guess. The bugs and crashes don't help.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I finally beat Phrike. I used the reconstructor and bought an astronaut figurine and that was finally enough tries hah.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I had an audio bug in one of my runs. The game just blasted out an extremely loud volume static noise sound then suddenly no audio for the entire run. Ruined the story segments I experienced on that run. Fixed only by restarting the game manually.
Yup, had this same exact audio bug. It freaked me the fuck out cuz I had my sound bar cranked high.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Daily challenges being one time only in Roguelikes is cool and all but when doors don't open or other stuff that screws your run then it seems silly to me.

And spare me with "that's how it works in other Roguelikes" when Housemarque pick and choose what they use and don't use in this Roguelike.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't know what story stuff there is, because that's where I'm at too. I cleared act 1 and 2 the other day and I'm just casually playing to get the fragments.

If you break it down the game requires a total of 5 runs to beat at a minimum. (2 act clears, 2 fragment collection runs, 1 final clear for story content in act 2).

I don't really see why it's a bizarre choice to have one-shot at a daily challenge. Maybe players should be able to replay it for 'fun' after their first run, but I don't think you should be able to re-submit a score. The point is that it's supposed to be a fresh attempt at a novel biome configuration (mods, weapons, room layouts). It's not supposed to reward rote memorisation of a specific layout.

The game does feel like it needs other modes though. I think having a true rogue-like mode after you beat the story would be cool. Mix all the biomes together and ask players to beat 3 random biomes and bosses in a randomised order. Give more variety to runs, make everything more volatile and wild.
Have you been able to find any of the fragments. I'm on the 3rd biome now and completely cleared biome 1 & 2 and found nothing.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure I don't have any negative parasites yet my protection is at -30%. Huh? Damn elites taking out half of my HP with one hit.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, got to the 5th biome boss for the first time and he glitched out on me. His body wasn't there so I couldn't damage him.

That killed my mood for the night, lol.

I feel like some of the alt fire shots look like Nex Machina powerups. I saw one that reminds me of Laser. Another that reminds me of Detonator. I guess melee is Sword? Haven't seen anything that looks like Powershot or Smartbomb.

I love what they do with sound cues. If you use your alt fire, then ADS, you'll hear it recharge. Or at least the sound is louder when you ADS. You're able to concentrate on the action instead of having to look at a specific part of the screen to know whether the skill is ready to go or not.

Overall, I really love this game but sooooooooooooo want an arcade style mode. The daily challenges show how fun it would be. I'm not a fan of how leaderboards currently work. I honestly don't even know exactly how they work lol. I thought each daily you do would add up to a total score, and that score would be posted.

I have the day off tomorrow and would love to beat it before Resident Evil 8 comes out Friday. That 5th biome though has been the toughest for me.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Almost done with Act 3.... missing just one more piece. To get the key car.

Still at 8 deaths in total with 26 hours of game. This game isn't that hard, the problem is what you carry in your suit. There are tons of useless parasites that can ruin your run.

Also... be smart when you are gambling with the malfunctions. They can be a pain in the ass.... specially those who require rare items like keys and fabricators.

I'm digging the whole upgrade your guns through each run. The carbine is still my favorite gun. Combined with the faster shooting and leach bullets I look like a Doom Slayer.

The 3 piece diamond thing is the worst gun is the game for me.... on the 6 biome it's completely useless when you miss a shoot. Burst and charging shoot makes the regular pistol also way worse than it should be.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a new game plus run devastating the first 3 biomes and grabbing the items so far needed for the true ending. I think I'll try to get it tomorrow on my next run. Fucking loving this and hope for no crash.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I had a run today I bailed on because all enemies left behind acid pools. Ridiculous when melee is so mandatory. Fuck that.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the 3rd boss and I need to go to bed. Before I put this in rest mode, I thought I saw someone say that after the third biome that there's a checkpoint?

Oct 31, 2017
Was on a run where I full cleared each biome, sans bosses I'd already beaten, and felt pretty good and strong.

Then I got to the 5th biome and just was obliterated after breezing through the 4th.

The flying drones that launch missile barrages at you are 100% the most frustrating enemy unit in the game, especially when there's large numbers of them in awkward rooms and you have to also worry about other enemies chasing you.

Dying in this run, especially how it happened, after I felt quite strong for the majority of it just felt so incredibly cheap honestly. When there's huge numbers of those drones in a room, and they constantly cut off your movement even as you try to thin the herd, shooting you in the back with missiles as you're trying to maneuver around the things currently surrounding you is quite enraging. Especially when your current held weapon is the highest proficiency weapon you've encountered to that point, yet it feels incredibly weak/deals very little overall damage.

Huge drone numbers + awkward rooms with little cover & pits + suddenly low feeling personal DPS yet highest weapon proficiency yet in the run + multiple aggressive, tanky, teleporing severed enemies chasing too = cheap feeling frustration.

Up to this point, things had felt tough but fair. But once I hit biome 5 it was suddenly like the enemies were extra tanky and extra punishing in both their aggressiveness AND how much damage the attacks themselves did to me.

I bought this digitally and have been really enjoying it, for the most part. But if I'm being totally honest with myself, I absolutely should have bought this physically as I feel like this is a game I'll not really have the urge to come back to once I either finish or get my fill. I also probably should have waited for the honeymoon phase to wane a bit too. Oh well. Like I said, I've still definitely enjoyed the game and Housemarque deserves some love for sure. I just think I should have personally been more pragmatic regarding this game, especially since the new Ratchet is also right around the corner...

MrBungle26

Feb 20, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Started Returnal for the first time today and had a almost 3 hour run into the second Biome then my game just crashes and I lost all the progress. Guess it's time to wait for more patches to play this one.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Took me about 11 tries to get the first boss -- I was terrible and impatient then.

However, RNG favored me greatly and after 3-4 runs of Biome #2 where I just never even got to the boss, I managed to clear it on my very first encounter with its boss, and then I got through all of Biome 3 and the boss on first try immediately. Best run I've had so far and seriously got super lucky on the RNG and ended up with a really decked out build. Getting the new weapons along the way was a fun little treat too.

This game is really awesome. I've loved everything past a couple of frustrating, early Biome 1 runs.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Had a great run going into the 3rd biome and needed a weapon so I grabbed a case that gave me a malfunction of not being able to pick up a weapon with the task of finding an artifact. Went through the entire biome without finding an artifact and died right before finding a boss. I mean ya I risked it by grabbing the case but the fact there was no way to get rid of the malfunction rubbed me the wrong way with the game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
How far have you gotten? What kind of approach are you taking? Maybe someone can give you some pointers.

One thing I will say is that if you can beat the first boss I think you can beat the whole game. That first stage and first boss is probably the biggest hurdle initially. From there so long as you take your time I think anyone that clears the first stage can clear the whole game.
And just like that, my next run... biome 1 done. My heart is racing. LOL

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, is there a way to ever access that door elevated in the first area that isn't marked or anything? I'm a run and a half in and would be surprised if the secret ending had shit to do with it. Maybe that's where the expansion can begin? 🤔

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
As I start biome 2 for the first time and put my PS5 into rest mode, I'm crossing my fingers for no crashes tomorrow (or power outages)...

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I had a run today I bailed on because all enemies left behind acid pools. Ridiculous when melee is so mandatory. Fuck that.
Weird, I purposefully take the acid pool "downsides" because I almost never use melee due to the sheer amount of flying enemies and ease at which dodging from a distance gives. I just hit credits today, and I pretty much only used melee for the shields and turrets.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yay, I beat Biome 1...finally. Wrecked the boss too. Used a lot of tips from this thread. Those that need help, I can't stress these pointers enough:

-Avoid opening chests until you have a higher Proficency level(ie. don't just open them as you discover them. Wait until you clear much of the biome out and level up so the chests give good guns. Especially helpful entering the boss with a lvl 5+ gun). Yes...this does mean doing a lot of teleporting back around the map to collect stuff once you clear it out.
-Use the ship to sleep and regain hp. In fact avoid HP pickups unless full health to increase life pool.
-Definitely try to have the Astronaut item or a Parasite that respawns you. Or at minimum a health restorative item.
-Enter the boss room with as high of a chain as possible, so you get all the weapon bonuses. (Also dash before landing to avoid taking fall dmg if you have that specific parasite, I actually blew my 5.0 chain because of forgetting right before fighting).

Basically spent all weekend playing it off the cuff and just pushing forward. Collecting HP and chests, even at 0 proficiency and getting garbage or wasting potential HP upgrades. Kept getting wrecked facing the boss with like a 2-star gun. Did the above and wrecked the boss without losing my astronaut on that same attempt. (That said, the pattern isn't bad really). Hell I nearly made it through all of Biome 2 on my first attempt pressing on.

Now I just worry every run will require similar grinding to prep for later biomes. If so, it will definitely kill some interest with the tedium.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm in the last area now? I'm not entirely sure, lol.

I definitely wasn't expecting to get all the way here from biome 1 only on my second run.

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get annoyed with the game. Did a 3-4 hour run where I beat boss 1-2 and then during the biome 3 boss my game crashed. Figured wth I'll try again. Went to the 2nd biome and got stuck in a tree.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got to the third area and died. With the thing I unlocked for beating boss 2, it should be easier to get to the third area now? Seems like the loop of the game is power up in the first biome and then power through quickly to where you died?

Or is it going to take me another 2-3 nail-biting hours to get to area 3 again?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I wonder if Housemarque will care if the stat tracking they see on their side shows the majority of casual/average/overall players never make it beyond Biome 1.

I think the game is great, but it's too hardcore for me and I gotta imagine that if we weren't in an era of mostly digital sales where it's hard to refund on PSN, that there'd be a lot of returns for the game of your average player giving it a shot and not getting anywhere and returning it.

They basically made an AA or AAA game for the 1% of super-niche PS5 only rogue enjoying hardcore git gud players. It's far less accessible than say a Souls game where your average player can grind their way through. Also far less accessible than Hades where the runs are short. In fact, I can't think of a less accessible more niche hardcore focused videogame released in the last decade. Sekiro is probably the closest since you can't grind your way to the finish there, but it also has saves and getting back to a boss only takes a few minutes so I think Returnal is much less accessible than Sekiro.

Sony definitely took a gamble funding such a niche game with a real budget. I kind of hope the game flops so they're forced to make their next game a bit more accessible. I love Nex Machina and Super Stardust as much as everyone else, but they work better as short games. Returnal is just a whole another ball game.

For my personal tastes I would have liked Housemarque to make the game a bit more rogue-lite instead of rogue-like. If weapon upgrades and max HP carried over so even an average player eventually would get strong enough to clear a biome they're stuck at the game would be much more enjoyable.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I finally beat the boss of the first biome.

6 Ether to do the reconstruct to respawn after death with all weapons and items, etc. And I made an Astronaut.

2 lockdown rooms I couldn't avoid....christ, lol. The 6 Ether to respawn got used on that. And a new strong ass enemy was thrown at me right before the boss battle.

Kept returning to ship to heal, yes, even when I was critical, lol, so I could increase my health, think I was at 150%? Whatever it was it was a whole bar and a half.

Used the Carbine.

Got him down to his last phase before dying and being revived. Moving dash to L1 or R1 is a must. And dont be scared to get in close to melee.

Question, if a new weapon is in the daily challenge, If I do the challenge will that weapon now be unlocked in the game? Its the Electropylon.

I was gonna just nuke my save and start over...because now I see on your first playthrough getting past the first boss shouldnt be an issue once you get the Astronaut and/or spend 6 Ether to respawn and keep all your stuff. That I had my first one destroyed because I wasnt paying attention sucked big time.

Last edited:

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Got to the third area and died. With the thing I unlocked for beating boss 2, it should be easier to get to the third area now? Seems like the loop of the game is power up in the first biome and then power through quickly to where you died?

Or is it going to take me another 2-3 nail-biting hours to get to area 3 again?
The former.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing the game and beat the first boss. Had to do a scummy run and rest a lot to increase my health.

They should redo how these work. It should increase your health AND heal you. Otherwise it's just easier for people willing to waste more time.

12eece

Mar 26, 2018
Love this game but the House can fuck right off. Always dread when its open for more first person narrative.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Listen…. That boss would be a final boss in so many games. Just wait till you get to 4. Its is own experience.

Absolutely agree. I just finished the 4th Boss. Definitely a nice fight, but I still love 3.

The extra life came in at the clutching moment for both fights. Otherwise I'd still be at the 3rd Biome lol.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Finally beat the first boss. Besides tons of gear and parasites, a big health consumable and revive astronaut did the trick. Phew.

Then i got slapped by some mini boss in the next area?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the first boss. Besides tons of gear and parasites, a big health consumable and revive astronaut did the trick. Phew.

Then i got slapped by some mini boss in the next area?
Same, lol. Thats why I'm here posting now. I just died. I had a Carbine, but there was a new weapon trait for the handgun I was trying to unlock.

.....I made a huge mistake....

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Powerpyx did the trophy roadmap on the game. Basically said to be careful if you put the game it rest mode. When you continue from it, it tends to break trophies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, after I died at the Crimson and respawn at the ship, an orange creature that drops those orbs was by my ship?

And the first area after the ship is the house, and its open?

Damn that, not doing a P.T. lite tonight, I'll save that shit for in the morning. At least I have a teleport in a room right outside my ship in a safe spot.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaaaaaaaa!!! Defeated Nemesis!!!

Best.Snowball.Run.Ever.

Usefull tip: Use weapon with damage over time and fast projectiles with distance and parasite that fixes health on low integrity legit SAVED MY RUN. Had like 256% integrity but that little fucker helped me so much in the end.

Oh, and didn't expect it but legit teared up afterwards, with what happened and how emotional it was.

This game is a masterpiece now it is evident to me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Played about five hours this weekend. I don't think this game is for me. Love the art direction, love the visuals, love the feel of moving and shooting. But the structure just isn't very effective for the roguelike genre imo. Runs are too long, progress is too slow, and upgrades and items aren't fun enough. I don't mind getting beaten down again and again if there's also a chance one run will make me feel OP as hell, but the risk/reward aspect of almost every choice here kind of saps the chaotic joy from the experience. Chests and upgrades shouldn't be something I default to "eh it's probably not worth the risk, I'll just leave it".

Glad lots of folks here are really gelling with it. Reviews and impressions made me figure this would be how I'd feel, and I should have trusted my gut. I'll put a bit more time into it before selling it