• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the best idea would be to keep the cultural heritage of all of mankind in a secure and neutral place.

Simply display copies everywhere else.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, the best idea would be to keep the cultural heritage of all of mankind in a secure and neutral place.

Agreed, but as there is no such place I suggest, for a second option, that each country must give all its cultural heritage to another country to take care of. Just give it all to the country on your right. Wales gives all its stuff to England, and England gives all its stuff to Belgium and so on...I think that would work as a logistically sound compromise.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Britain should give them back.

Not the same thing, but years ago, while visiting Spain (I'm from Costa Rica), I was invited by my hosts to visit a Pre-Columbian gold display on a Museum. I have no doubt they meant well, but that was my least liked part of the whole trip. Seeing all those relics, that used to belong to our natives was heartbreaking.

Oct 28, 2017
England
White Englishman here. I think all of these artefacts should be returned to Ethopia. Then the Koh-I-Noor to India. Then the Elgin Marbles (and Prince Philip) to Greece.

Much as all the Confederate statues and monuments in the US, these are little more than monuments to a darker time in our history when we acted in much the same ways as the Viking raiders of old. They should be returned to their respective countries of origin, so their people can fully appreciate their heritage in their own country.

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
When I think of all the irreplaceable historical treasures that have been destroyed by the Taliban, the Islamic State and other religious nutjobs in recent years, I get sick. These artefacts belonged to all of mankind.

I am glad the British Museum exists, and I am fine with it keeping everything it has. At least there the artefacts are safe and can be enjoyed by future generations.
So how do you think there couldn't be unrest in Britain and the same thing happens? Like this is dumb. Stuff gets destroyed in wars. I'm sure museums may have gotten destroyed in world wars was well.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
User warned: Making a point doesn't require insulting a poster

White people raped and stole resources from other countries to prop up their own. Giving back the equivalent in terms of financial value would destroy economics across Europe.

Hope that was clear to you. If that chicken was too spicy I think you have some family thats boiling some.....

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
But but but...

What about all the help we gave them during Band Aid and Live Aid?

"They should never have given you ***** money" to quote Rick James.

pls don't ban me.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Colonialists who looted these artifacts are no better than ISIS or any terrorist cell...in fact I would say the greatest Terrorist group in the history of mankind is without a doubt European "settlers"

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
White people raped and stole resources from other countries to prop up their own. Giving back the equivalent in terms of financial value would destroy economics across Europe.

Hope that was clear to you. If that chicken was too spicy I think you have some family thats boiling some.....
Eh these days a lot of European countries get their revenue from oil. I mean there's no doubt the industrial revolution and subsequent expansion was in large part financed by imperial conquests but as of today many could like survive giving corresponding quantity of wealth back over time. At great cost but won't necessarily destroy their economy.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not happening. It sets a precedent for giving artifacts back, and there's no guarantee they will be able to care for the items properly. I hate to say it, but looting would be a real issue if objects were returned.
We third world countries need the benevolent white men to take care of our artifacts, of course.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't even taken this long? Return that shit.
They more than likely think this shit:
Nothing, I just used it as an example how many irreplaceable cultural artefacts were recently destoyed, which would still exist if they had been in the British Museum.

There are constant civil wars, unrest etc. in many parts of Africa. Artefacts get stolen and sold to private collectors by unscrupulous dealers. At least in the British Museum, these artefacts are safely kept and can be enjoyed by everyone.
"It is safer with white people."

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I guess we should have let Nazis keep the stolen art pieces and never give back to the families what was taken stolen from them.
After all they're certainly poorer than whoever hold on to them and couldn't properly take care of what was in their possession as evidence by the fact that fucking Nazis managed to get their hands on it.

Give Ethiopia its history back, don't be thieving assholes.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
HQ3UIh0.jpg

"Don't trip—I'm gonna take it off your hands for you."

Aww yeah!

tumblr_p0qj9cPBGM1wjq402o3_540.gif

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Every country looted precious items from other countries when they won a battle/war. It seems odd to shame Britain in particular for a practice that everybody was doing up until recently in our history.

If I think the items should be kept by the British or given back to Ethiopia... I don't know what I think is the right decision tbh.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of mentality is just straight up fucking colonial bullshit. Yeah, the dirty third world people cant be trusted to take care of their heritage.

White man's burden yo.

At least this guy is being honest. "We won, get fucked."

Colonialism? What? I said they will show up in private collections, I didn't say "don't return them"

But ignoring that corruption exist in the world is not right.

Colonialists who looted these artifacts are no better than ISIS or any terrorist cell...in fact I would say the greatest Terrorist group in the history of mankind is without a doubt European "settlers"

Uh what?

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User warned: Justifying historical atrocities
They weren't "illegally looted", they started a war and they lost. Victor takes the spoils. Besides, you can't apply modern rules of diplomatic relations to the past. The British actions were acceptable by the standards of the time.

+1
Agree with this.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

Simply display copies everywhere else.

I'l take this one for the team.

Every one in the world, give me all your valuables and historical artifacts, and I will keep them all safe.

So safe.

The safest.

Super safe and totally respected. There is no way I would do anything like chug butter pecan syrup from the Ardagh Chalice or anything like that.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The British museum is one of the best I have visited because it's full of shit we stole.

Every country has museums full of artefacts from countries they exploited, we just happen to have more because we were very successful cunts.

To be honest, I don't have a strong opinion either way, just as long as the items are well looked after and preserved.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, the British Museum is going to hold onto that shit hard, the moment they return their artifacts to a single country they'll have to return the whole collection, considering just about everything in it is fucking stolen. Same with other European museums. I think it's about time African countries get their artistic legacy back, and they get the tourists for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.