• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Source:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ermanently-return-its-artifacts-idUSKBN1HU2M2

DDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Britain must permanently return all artifacts from Ethiopia held by the Victoria and Albert Museum and Addis Ababa will not accept them on loan, an Ethiopian government official said.

"What we have asked (for) was the restitution of our heritage, our Maqdala heritage, looted from Maqdala 150 years ago. We presented our request in 2007 and we are waiting for it," government minister Hirut Woldemariam said.

Ephrem Amare, Ethiopian National Museum director, added: "It is clearly known where these treasures came from and whom they belong to. Our main demand has never been to borrow them. Ethiopia's demand has always been the restoration of those illegally looted treasures. Not to borrow them."

The V&A said on Tuesday the idea of a long-term loan had come up as it discussed its Maqdala exhibition with Ethiopian authorities. "The V&A is committed to continuing this important and wide-ranging dialogue with colleagues at the Ethiopian Embassy in London," it added in a statement.

I wonder if britan would comply, Probally not since they've been asking since 2007. But i think artifacts like this stolen should be put back to their proper places and people.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
giving back would probably be the moral thing to do. but if you take the british museum away, what do the english have left in 2018? so i can understand why they don't want to

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they won't. It would set precedent for all sorts of shit I'm sure.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
HQ3UIh0.jpg

"Don't trip—I'm gonna take it off your hands for you."

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If European countries had to give back the shit they stole from other countries, they'd be left literally destitute.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
They're not going to comply unfortunately. British museum has so much shit stolen from other countries it's ridiculous

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Might want to update the title so it's clear that it's the V&A Museum and not the British Museum itself.

That being said, they should give it back. As much as I like going to the museums on a day off and seeing all this stuff a lot of it was taken by force, and if anything, we should be loaning it from them, not the other way around. That should apply for everything that's in these museums where possible, and as long as both parties are able to preserve them for future generations.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of stolen artifacts america returned under the obama administration was unreal
Trump would never do it

Time for britain to step up

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If they return them, I give it a year before they go to "private" collections.

The corruption levels in those countries is staggering.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Justifying historical atrocities
They weren't "illegally looted", they started a war and they lost. Victor takes the spoils. Besides, you can't apply modern rules of diplomatic relations to the past. The British actions were acceptable by the standards of the time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The V&A usually doesn't get much flack for repatriation, interesting seeing them in the hot seat rather than The British Museum. They'll never do it, which is shitty and wrong but the precedent it sets can be extremely dangerous for a collection like their's. In this case, knowing that the stuff was taken as part of British military action they should definitely be returned. I'm a little shocked they offered to send them to Ethiopia on a long-term loan though, that's more flexibility than you usually get and indicates that they recognize that something will have to be done about this sooner or later. Usually, as with the Parthenon frieze, they just shrug it off with a simple no.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Imperial looting of colonies is an unimaginable crime. Fuck Imperialist Britain.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Not happening. It sets a precedent for giving artifacts back, and there's no guarantee they will be able to care for the items properly. I hate to say it, but looting would be a real issue if objects were returned.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
They weren't "illegally looted", they started a war and they lost. Victor takes the spoils. Besides, you can't apply modern rules of diplomatic relations to the past. The British actions were acceptable by the standards of the time.

you likewise can't pretend to hide by the "norms" of colonialism from centuries gone by when rationalizing the refusal to return things in our modern age

Not happening. It sets a precedent for giving artifacts back, and there's no guarantee they will be able to care for the items properly. I hate to say it, but looting would be a real issue if objects were returned.

because other countries can't safely contain their belongings? speaking of colonialism, this post really follows that mindset

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they return them, I give it a year before they go to "private" collections.

The corruption levels in those countries is staggering.

This kind of mentality is just straight up fucking colonial bullshit. Yeah, the dirty third world people cant be trusted to take care of their heritage.

White man's burden yo.

At least this guy is being honest. "We won, get fucked."

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of mentality is just straight up fucking colonial bullshit. Yeah, the dirty third world people cant be trusted to take care of their heritage.

White man's burden yo.

At least this guy is being honest. "We won, get fucked."
Exactly my thoughts. I wasn't expecting a colonial looting defense force on Era but I'm not surprised.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any legal precedent for this? I'd be surprised if this was the first time something like this had happened.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Yeah, good luck with that. British Musem has artifacts from other European countries that they won't ever consider giving back, Elgin Marbles come to mind.

Oct 27, 2017

LOL
It's their property. This is an absurd and completely unfounded excuse. What is this? The British looter's burden?! They have to protect those Ethiopian savages from themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.