Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Abnett can be great but he's frequently a jobber of a writer. He'll just go out there and do the deed that editorial tells him to write.

Same as Dan Jurgens.

I admit, I love the jobbers. Abnett, Jurgens, Nicieza, Tomasi, Tieri, Giffen.

Folks that are rarely A-tier, but they keep the trains running on time. I would've put Taylor and Ewing in that spot a few years back, but they've gotten stronger.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Folks that are rarely A-tier, but they keep the trains running on time. I would've put Taylor and Ewing in that spot a few years back, but they've gotten stronger.
I dunno if I'd necessarily throw Tomasi in there

The reason I dislike Abnett is because I think he writes characters poorly. He writes modern characters as though they haven't evolved, sort of like Waid. The difference is, Waid tries but has no understanding of the modern voice (look at his Champions and Avengers runs that ran along that time). When he writes older characters in the current timeframe, great! He's able to adapt his writing to their current character and the arcs they've gone through combined with the classical tone he understands.

Abnett writes characters as though they've never evolved and even worse in some cases. His Nightwing being the best example.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I dunno if I'd necessarily throw Tomasi in there

The reason I dislike Abnett is because I think he writes characters poorly. He writes modern characters as though they haven't evolved, sort of like Waid. The difference is, Waid tries but has no understanding of the modern voice (look at his Champions and Avengers runs that ran along that time). When he writes older characters in the current timeframe, great! He's able to adapt his writing to their current character and the arcs they've gone through combined with the classical tone he understands.

Abnett writes characters as though they've never evolved and even worse in some cases. His Nightwing being the best example.
I wouldn't say Abnett is as bad as Waid in that regard. His Nightwing was likely a victim of DC editorial's noted disdain for the character at the time. His Aquaman run did a good job avoiding those pitfalls and I give him credit for helping build Mera up.

And he doesn't pull the same "arch-enemy is the one pulling the strings behind the scenes" trope that Waid does in nearly every fucking book.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
And he doesn't pull the same "arch-enemy is the one pulling the strings behind the scenes" trope that Waid does in nearly every fucking book.
He does? Somehow I never noticed. Thinking back to his flash run I legitimately don't recall this trope being used much (although boy there were a lot of evil speedsters). I don't remember his FF run having this for the non-Doom arcs too. His Dr Strange run didn't have this either

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Spidey always making me crack up in the Hickman FF/Fantastic Four run. He does have a big butt.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Sam "Our Love is Real" Humphries?
Searched up the book out of curiousity and lol
Plantsexuals riot in the streets for equal rights. Humans fall in love with dogs. And crystals are more than just jewelry. A chance encounter on the job changes a riot cop's life forever as he finds himself caught in a bizarre love triangle that blurs romance, crime, and lust beyond recognition.

May 24, 2019
I dropped off of his FF pretty quickly.
I've never read his Spider Man, but Slott Silver Surfer is one of my all timers.

edit: I wish Aaron Kuder was on a series that I loved, but it hasn't happened since Greg Pak Action Comics.
Ghost Rider seemed okay, but I got behind after two issues and didn't feel the urge to get back to it.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Really? The scattered impressions I read here in this thread seemed fairly positive.
I could be wrong. Like I said, I usually think Slott is a bit crap.
It's okay just fine

It makes me miss Chip Zdarsky Two in one which was a way better ff book but it's fine

I don't know how Silver Surfer is so great but his ff is so bleh

You don't need to read it
Try a few issues and decide it doesn't get better or worse besides some highlights

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I get why but i never liked how Doom and Galactus just went back to their old selves especially doom in Slott FF especially after the climax of Hickman era where learned humility and was happy

But no back to classic Doom

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with season 2 of Infinity Train. I'm not digging it as much as the first season. I mean, it's okay.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay just fine

It makes me miss Chip Zdarsky Two in one which was a way better ff book but it's fine

I don't know how Silver Surfer is so great but his ff is so bleh

You don't need to read it
Try a few issues and decide it doesn't get better or worse besides some highlights
Fair enough.
I think I'll leave it.
I have plenty more things to read.

Its kind of annoying that X of Swords seems to be spinning out of Excalibur heavily.
I thought it was easily the weakest of the X lineup. I dropped it after a few issues.
Now I feel I might need to catch up.

Last edited:

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I like Empyre, but it reeks of those Marvel events that were clearly just meant to be a crossover arc that got blown up so they could have a sales boost. It did not warrant the amount of content it has.

In related news, I look forward to devouring every single issue of Lord Hickman and his apostles' X of Swords. I haven't been this excited for an event since Infinity.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say Abnett is as bad as Waid in that regard. His Nightwing was likely a victim of DC editorial's noted disdain for the character at the time. His Aquaman run did a good job avoiding those pitfalls and I give him credit for helping build Mera up.

Abnett wrote Nightwing like he was baby Robin or Batman 2.0. That's not out of editorial disdain, that's "I read Wolfman's Titan's and that's it." Same thing with a lot of writers, honestly, but Abnett is a lot worse. His Titans is just a genuinely unlikable book.

I'm almost done with season 2 of Infinity Train. I'm not digging it as much as the first season. I mean, it's okay.
It's definitely the weakest season, but it ends really strong all the same

MT is my least favorite protagonist of the series.
The ending is too powerful for me to not feel for her

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Fair enough.
I think I'll leave it.
I have plenty more things to read.

Its kind of annoying that X of Swords seems to be spinning out of Excalibur heavily.
I thought it was easily the weakest of the X lineup. I dropped it after a few issues.
Now I feel I might need to catch up.
I'm annoyed about it spinning so heavily out of Excalibur as well because I also dropped it after 2 issues. But, I went back and bought up to issue 8 or 9 when they were on sale and I really liked them. It has some of the most consistently good art of any Dawn book. I'm mostly annoyed that X of Swords is interrupting all the X books which means I won't read it until the collection.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019

Some of them I wouldn't call jobbers, more like past their prime, but still doing it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of them I wouldn't call jobbers, more like past their prime, but still doing it.
They're like Kane in the WWE. Flirted with the main event decades ago, Now just floats around the mid card for years as an established worker good for a 6/10 match whenever ya need it.

I'd throw PAD in there too. Not one person has Been excited for his comics in a decade but we still got this Maestro series nobody asked for.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Empyre is great. It completely subverts expectations. We just had a huge "Earth Invasion" event with War of the Realms. Ewing and Slott set up Empyre like it would be the same sort of thing, but pulled the rug out from under everyone early, and have used it as a character-driven story with the Kree/Skrull/Cotati conflict on Earth almost completely in the background. I absolutely love it. People complain that events are stupid, they're just big, dumb punch-and-smash crossovers with little to no long-term status quo changes, but it looks like this one is precisely the opposite. Can't wait to see how it ends. I expect Cosmic Marvel will look different for a while afterwards.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Either Clubhouse Games is fucking it up, or I'm missing something because I don't understand Renegade. It can't be this complicated

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed about it spinning so heavily out of Excalibur as well because I also dropped it after 2 issues. But, I went back and bought up to issue 8 or 9 when they were on sale and I really liked them. It has some of the most consistently good art of any Dawn book. I'm mostly annoyed that X of Swords is interrupting all the X books which means I won't read it until the collection.
I think I might give Excalibur anther try.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Empyre was definitely Cebulski's Civil War 2 in that it was "We need a big standalone event." But instead of just repeating a conflict skeleton with a different muscle on top, Ewing and Slott went "hold our beers" and did some deep fucking cuts to pull this story out

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
It helps how small it is but at the same time, having an actual Avengers tie in would have helped.

(And come on, no one was gonna give a fuck about Aaron's Moon Knight vs. Avengers thing.)

CW2? Standalone?

You cray cray.
I'm guessing he means standalone as in not tied to any specific series that built up to it. Standalone as in it kinda comes out of nowhere

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wish CW2 was standalone

Empyre feels like there's no agenda (not muh sjw agenda but editorial story agenda because to pusb a character or a status quo) and you're letting the writers in this case Ewing and i guess Slott tell a fun story

Like Hulkling and Wiccan relationship being a major plot point feels like Ewing wanting to complete his new avengers than editorial suddenly deciding that they like Young avengers after ignoring them for years

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
They show up and do the job that's asked of them, not really pushing for their own story ideas.

Do you think Dan Jurgens is writing Ric Grayson because he's really passionate about it? It's "for hire" work in the most basic sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.