Status
Not open for further replies.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Like here I am, chilling, playing Clubhouse Games for the first time because fuck it

Nine Men's Morris is the worst game. Like, yes I do keep losing and it jades me and makes me bitter, but also I just think it sucks.
Yeah Nine Men's Morris is sooo bad. there's one strategy to win, and it relies on the AI messing up. You can put it on the hardest difficulty and play over and over doing exactly the same thing, and the AI has a chance to do a bad move and then you win, get the achievement or whatever and never have to play it again. It's like Noughts and Crosses but less fun!

I liked the Mancala game, it was different to how I played it as a kid, I was hoping there'd be some kind of alternate rulesets but to be fair, the rules I was playing by as a kid were probably nonsense rules haha. The way I remember it, you didn't take the opposite tub of beads at all, but when you land your last bead in a tub with beads already in it, you pick up that whole tub and keep going. so you'd do a lot of calculation in your head in advance about where you'd end up.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sunday list

We Only Find Them When They're Dead #1

DCeased Dead Planet #3 (Of 7)
Hellblazer Rise And Fall #1 (Of 3)
Shazam #14

Empyre #6 (Of 6)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are we finally going to finish that Shazam story arc this week that feels like it's been going on since time immemorial.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Loeb's Sam Nova was the last thing I read of his that I genuinely enjoyed. I feel like a lot of the hate that the book got was more about people just complaining that Rich was being replaced lol, and not the actual quality of the book. Plus, Loeb was only on it for the first arc or two, then handed it off to Duggan who did an even better job with it.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the last Empyre issue was 17 years ago
I'm interested to see how Empyre wraps up.
As Marvel events go, it's been pretty good

Empyre is the first Marvel event I've enjoyed in ages, but I'm definitely gonna have to reread 1-5 because I don't remember anything outside of
Jen being dead and Hulking being fake

The delay for the tie ins to catch up killed the pacing

Are we finally going to finish that Shazam story arc this week that feels like it's been going on since time immemorial.

I feel like this is the last Johns issue? The solicit info seems all wrong though

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
sunday is a day for lists, okay

WE ONLY FIND THEM WHEN THEYRE DEAD #1
BANG #3
DIE #13
LOST SOLDIERS #2
SEX CRIMINALS SEXUAL GARY SPECIAL
BLACK WIDOW #1
CABLE #4
EMPYRE #6
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6
BATMAN #98
DREAMING WAKING HOURS #2
HELLBLAZER RISE AND FALL #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #52
SHAZAM #14
STRANGE ADVENTURES #5
YOUNG JUSTICE #18

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to share my Switch friend code, but only if we're playing good games.

LISTS!

Batman 98
Hellblazer: Rise & Fall 1
Shazam 14
Strange Adventures 5

Black Widow 1
Cable 4
Empyre 6
Fantastic Four 23
Miles Morales Spider-Man 18
New Mutants 12
Wolverine 5

We Only Find Them When They're Dead 1

I'm grateful for a lighter week than the past few, because free time has dwindled since I started grad school a couple weeks ago. I'm way behind on a bunch of books.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched Spiderverse. Easily my favorite marvel movie.
kind of makes me want to try picking back up my amazing spidey read from the start again after I finish this classic Batman run

Speaking of both books Gerry Conway has had a hell of a career eh? I've made it to the Conway era of Batman books and have been enjoying it.

Just finished Wolfman's main Batman run. It had a good Ra's arc send off but the funniest thing in the whole run is almost every issue is Robin making an appearance, asking Batman to have a good talk, and Bruce just finding any excuse to not have said talk about Dick dropping out of college. The arc ends and the talk never happens!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they were setting up this awesome showdown for the Goblin Queen finale in Mutant X, but then ended it in such a rushed unsatisfactory way lol. They even had all this awesome setup where the Goblin Force as it was called ate the Phoenix Force and became this awesome power. Then Doctor Doom took over the entire world's armies for this epic World War 3. If it had just one more issue showing some of the actual war, I think it would have been much better. But still really neat and im super excited for whats to come. Havok still sucks, but hes way more interesting in this series than anything ive read of him so far.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
When people said the adults in Amethyst were assholes, they weren't kidding holy shit. But there's so much to resolve with just one issue to go. I wish DC could have given the series some more issues to give it more space. But that's the nature of book sales these days, huh.

Wonder Woman is beginning to lose me here. The art simply isn't nearly as good as the last team. Also:
Wouldn't Wondey's lasso protected her from the mind control? I need an explanation for that.

Spider-Man Noir continues to be a wonderful book with good art, an intriguing mystery and interesting reimaginings of characters.

Power Rangers goes back to doing what it does best: upping the stakes with ideas that should have been used in the series but didn't have the footage.

Chu 2 already ups the stakes in it's just begun.
I had a feeling the twin was going to die, but in 3 issues? Yikes.

List:
Fantastic Four #23
Strange Adventures #5
Shazam #14
Black Widow #1
Transformers: Galaxies #9

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Woman is beginning to lose me here. The art simply isn't nearly as good as the last team. Also:
Wouldn't Wondey's lasso protected her from the mind control? I need an explanation for that.
The Lasso can break mind control as part of it's power
Don't know about the context of the spoiler though

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Lasso can break mind control as part of it's power
Don't know about the context of the spoiler though
Wonder Woman is under the influence of hallucinations from the use of a selfie app along with some other people. I know it's related to Max Lord and she couldn't break his mind control of Superman in the pre-52 ere, so that might explain it but we haven't gotten gone that far into the story.

May 24, 2019

The last issue was from what seems will be the series fill-in artist. Janin is returning for an issue or two and then they're popping up again.
The next main artist is Steve Pugh from HQ: Breaking Glass/The Flintstones.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
All line-wide events should be weekly like Empyre, or at most one issue per two weeks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What happen to that book Fraction was doing with Annie wu

then again it took several years for Adventureman happen with Dodson

It was with Fraction and Zdarsky. I'd imagine that's gonna take years. She also announced her own image book right and there's been nothing about that for a good while. Something like Dead Detective Agency.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of events, rereading all of Jason Aaron Thor(which is 100+ issues!) made me really appreciate war of the realms now that I can see who whole context of it. It feels like a natural big climax to the run, with a simple three act structure. All the armies of all the evil realms coming together To invade earth, the heroes regroup after losing with all the good realms, run it back with The heroes and Team Thor. It feels really good to get all four Thors back, for Odinson to accept his unworthiness, to finally smack Malkeith in the face with that Mjolnir. And Russell Dautermann and Matt Wilson's colors are just doing the lords work, I mean just incredible superhero storytelling artists. The two wrap up issues in Thor 17/18 were really good too.

so basically if you're gonna do an event comic it helps if you've been building to it for like seven years and have lots of character arcs and certain themes to draw to a conclusion with a fantastic art team. Simple!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd Hunger Games book is a lot more different from the film than I expected. it starts out the same, but after the Victors Tour, theres like 6 months before the 75th Hunger Games. Katniss plans on running away after realizing that her and Peeta didnt do enough to quell the rebelions. Then changes her mind after Gale gets whipped, and decides she wants to start an uprising in District 12. Where the films made it seem like she was completely indifferent to the idea until getting whisked away to District 13.

Still cant stand the love triangle thing lol. But I guess thats the point.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
LIST!

Whoa Nelly, it's a big week.

Batman #98
Black Widow #1
DCEASED Dead Planet #3
Die #13
Harley Quinn: Black, White & Red #11
Monstress #30
Strange Adventures #5
We Only Find Them When They're Dead #1

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I've been trying to give DC a new chance since I've been hearing a lot of good stuff has come out since the New 52 died.

I started with Titans hunt since the New Teen Titans were my first DC book ever. I loved it and plan on checking on Titans Rebirth soon.

I then jumped backwards and I just finished Convergence. I really liked most of the two issue miniseries but found the main story to be pretty week.

What should I jump to next to continue?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
looking at the comics releasing this week and I'm reminded that there are "people" that will buy a spider-man omnibus with one more day on the cover

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been trying to give DC a new chance since I've been hearing a lot of good stuff has come out since the New 52 died.

I started with Titans hunt since the New Teen Titans were my first DC book ever. I loved it and plan on checking on Titans Rebirth soon.

I then jumped backwards and I just finished Convergence. I really liked most of the two issue miniseries but found the main story to be pretty week.

Deathstroke by Christopher Priest

May 24, 2019

The "Superman: Lois and Clark" miniseries, and the "Superman" Rebirth series carry on from Convergence, and they're great.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Wanna be Ninfriends to play digital grampa games?
[Hidden content]
Aw shucks I guess
Speaking of events, rereading all of Jason Aaron Thor(which is 100+ issues!) made me really appreciate war of the realms now that I can see who whole context of it. It feels like a natural big climax to the run, with a simple three act structure. All the armies of all the evil realms coming together To invade earth, the heroes regroup after losing with all the good realms, run it back with The heroes and Team Thor. It feels really good to get all four Thors back, for Odinson to accept his unworthiness, to finally smack Malkeith in the face with that Mjolnir. And Russell Dautermann and Matt Wilson's colors are just doing the lords work, I mean just incredible superhero storytelling artists. The two wrap up issues in Thor 17/18 were really good too.

so basically if you're gonna do an event comic it helps if you've been building to it for like seven years and have lots of character arcs and certain themes to draw to a conclusion with a fantastic art team. Simple!
I think this is why a lot of Geoff Johns' and Hickman's events, and why Absolute Carnage and a couple others do so well is because they're the big climax to a storyline. The counterpoint is of course something like Axis. Empyre is such an oddity because it's so isolated

Or is it?

Oh you actually liked Titans Hunt? Oh then by all means, read the shit out of Dan Abnett's Titans. He's on for a loooooong time. Well, 2 years, but it's a lot of issues.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Do people not like Titans Hunt? I mean it was flawed in several places but it was still nice to see the Titans together again (though I hated that Cyborg was mentioned as the 10th Titan and then having it be doubled down on with a prelude story that makes no sense with any version of continuity)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Do people not like Titans Hunt? I mean it was flawed in several places but it was still nice to see the Titans together again (though I hated that Cyborg was mentioned as the 10th Titan and then having it be doubled down on with a prelude story that makes no sense with any version of continuity)
I mean I thought it was bad, but I don't like Dan Abnett as a writer in general typically.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly part of my like for that book came from the ending of the stupid Rick Grayson stuff and retconing Omen from that stupid as fuck Culling storyline.

Edit - Did some research and Dan Abnett apparently helped write the Culling. But he also helped write the Death's Head II limited series.

I'm conflicted. I hate Legion Lost and the Culling specifically. But the Death's Head II series was one of my favorite books as a kid. I even have a paper mache mask of Death's Head II thst I made as a kid.

And he wrote to Doctor Who Seventh Doctor audio dramas that I like.

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Dan Abnett can be great but he's frequently a jobber of a writer. He'll just go out there and do the deed that editorial tells him to write.

Same as Dan Jurgens.

Status
Not open for further replies.