Votes: 535 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 466 35.8%
  • I was always a fan

Votes: 299 23.0%

• Total voters

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, NMS was one of gaming's biggest scams, how were they ever cleared of the deceptive and false advertising lawsuits?

Yeah, the core gameplay is what's wrong with the game, it's just not fun. Was so excited booting it up, wanted to explore exotic planets and see aliens like they always showed in trailers. But I got booted into an empty, ugly planet with ugly creatures that barely resembled living things. "But what do you do in the game?" All I did was shoot rocks to get minerals and manage the smallest and most restrictive inventory in gaming. All the planets I visited were the same ugly shit with some slight variations on the last one. I couldn't even use my space ship how I wanted but wanted to visit the next system to see if the game opens up, after having to gather another resource to juice up my ship for galactic travel, I visited the same shitty planets and then quit. No point in playing a game that makes me repeat the same boring process to see a nonsense ending that wants to me start the same process over again.

You can now build a base and then do the 30 hour main quest. The main focus has always been exploring and upgrading your ship. There's billions of planets, not my fault you explored a few and then assumed every planet was the same.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm very curious, so yes I'll boot it back up, even start fresh I think and go for the questline this time. But chances that 2/3 hours in I get bored with the game once again are pretty high.

Units received!

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
He promoted what he hoped to achieve. The studio ran out of money, and Murray took out a second mortgage on his house and put company bills on his credit card in order to keep the lights on long enough to launch something. Not what they wanted, but it was either that or shut down the studio and NMS would now be a sad footnote in gaming history. Did they make mistakes, did Sean handle it extremely poorly? No question. Was Sony pressuring them? We might never know. But I think it's clear from two years of tireless work on the game that their passion for this game was real, not a scam. I would think someone in the industry of all people would understand that things go south, lack of experience combined with contracts and corporations can result in things happening that are not at all what you wanted, and sometimes you just have bad luck like a flood destroying your office and months of progress.

This was a terribly ambitious game for 15 people to make in the best of circumstances, and they didn't get to the finish line. But even though Sean could've retired with $50 million in his pocket, the team kept at it despite the abuse and personal attacks to all of them, despite even Shu throwing him under the bus publicly. I have been in difficult development situations, but I can't imagine their crushing personal disappointment and the stress of people constantly hurling abuse on you and the people you work with, all while trying to work long hours every day in hopes that somehow you can make the game into something you can be proud of and something that lives up to the expectations of the community, and maybe eventually redeem the company's reputation.

You can say what you want about his blunders as a spokesperson or the things he said to desperately try to save Hello Games from imploding, but Sean and the team at HG has showed a level of perseverance and passion for this game and its fans over the past two years that has my utmost respect.

This is a good post and encompasses my feelings entirely.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
You can now build a base and then do the 30 hour main quest. The main focus has always been exploring and upgrading your ship. There's billions of planets, not my fault you explored a few and then assumed every planet was the same.

This was one my problems with the early NMS reception. People poured over every word Sean Murray said to find ''lies" and broken promises but somehow ignored the thing that was stated constantly, for years, which was most planets would be unremarkable and a small percentage would be lush or special. Then they played for an hour or two, didn't see anything cool, and shoved their dicks in the toxic circle jerk with all the others.

Last edited:

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I bought the game at launch and put roughly 60 hours into it over the first few months. For the most part I really enjoyed it but then the game-play loop got a bit stale.

I've been keeping up to date with the latest patches but haven't actually played the game since the pathfinder update last year. It'll be good to get back into it and all the new additions sound fantastic.

Now it's just a case of finding the time to play it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah for sure. I was a day one player on PS4 and liked it enough. Saw it's flaws pretty heavily though and ended up dropping it pretty fast to wait for updates. That led to not picking it up again since. Just pre-ordered the Xbox version to play on my X. Looking forward to starting fresh and seeing all of the updates since it launched.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have it on PS4 and will also be getting for my X as well.

The support the game has received since release has been superb.

Everyone deserves a second chance when they put that much work in.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I never disliked it, even near release day. It's always been a chill game that I like spending a few hours with now and then. Feeling some legit hype about the update tbh, though trying to not get my hopes up too much.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Maybe if I can get a copy for under $15 I'll give it a chance. Once it reaches impulse buy range it's no skin off my nose to mess around with it.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the art style and soundtrack, plus the concept was always interesting (even if the final game was but a shadow of that concept.) I've already reinstalled, though, and I look forward to trying the NEXT update. Hope they've finally released the game we all wanted from the start.

Oct 27, 2017
I already did. Initially got caught up in the hype and bought it at launch, and was fucking furious with the state it was in so I traded it in. After a few patches and growing goodwill I bought a pre-owned copy probably about a year ago, and am far more impressed by what I've played of it. I might buy a digital copy when it drops to like £9 on PSN again.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll load it back up, for sure. But whether i still with it i'm not sure yet obviously. The poll's a bit misleading cos i already own it, so i can't really answer it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I might give it a first chance if the price is right, but the biggest factor is my backlog, it's not the kind of game that can jump my backlog (unlike DQ XI and Spiderman).

Oct 27, 2017
I will need to see a breakdown of what the game is to give it a chance. Hopefully someone describes how the story and all the new goodies are in a video review.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own it, so I'll boot it up again. haven't been keeping tabs on anything though, but why not? I'm not going to not play it out of spite or something as I already bought it.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I can't recall if they somehow announced any VR compatibility with this update? Would be cool for this game but maybe too demanding I guess

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
No. Sean Murray wasted time I'll never get back trying to get to the center of the universe for no reason in a very boring game. Would have to pay me to play another game from them to be quite honest.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm considering it. It has always appealed to me but now that they've added the stuff I'm interested in and I can get it for like 20 bucks, I'll grab it and see what's up.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
How is the new version? Any reviews? Not compared to the old, shitty version, but on it's own, is it a good game?

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Yes. I think it's time I finally gave this game another serious go. NEXT is shaping up to be something special.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I doubt it... right now I'm enjoying StarCrawlers, which I picked up during the summer sale, and then there is the rest of my backlog.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
No. I have way too much other stuff to play now and in the coming months. Additionally a game like Subnautica (which shares a bunch of similarities with No Man's Sky) convinced and hooked me far more than NMS ever managed to do, so I'd rather double-dip here when it comes out later this year on PS4.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations were out of whack when the game arrived, admittedly mostly because of HGs misleading communication, but NMS has always been something different, and a fun sandbox to play around in. I have gone back to it a few times over the past year and its one of the most relaxing games you can play, and its very pretty to look at. I'm looking forward to jumping back in to see whats changed.

Approach the game with an open mind and forget all the bullshit and you'll find a unique game that has plenty going for it,

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, NMS was one of gaming's biggest scams, how were they ever cleared of the deceptive and false advertising lawsuits?

No it fucking was not. We had multiple in depth gameplay videos show exactly what the game was about before its release. A group of people with no interest at all in the game just decided to grab on to one interview forever to doom the game... Move the fuck on... Jesus...

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I'm planning to see what's up in the new update at least. I bought the game before though in a sale but never really played it.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I gave it 30 minutes when it came out then promptly got my refund. They lost their chance for me. That ship sailed.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, luckily I bailed out really fast after I lost a savegame the moment I got myself a 1M ship. This is a good time to jump back in, hopefully the game works proper on resolutions higher than 1080 now too.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I've had it since around it first came out, and have dipped in and out over the last few years. The updates have certainly helped keep my interest going over the 2 years or so.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure yet. I don't really have any interest in multiplayer and that seems like the biggest draw to the update. But I might fire it up sometime when I have nothing else to play.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always a fan I'd say, never "gave up" on it. But I did stop playing it sooner after launch than I thought I would, and have only played a bit with the updates. Now I'm planning on jumping back in for real, with a fresh save.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I didnt buy when it was released, and I will not play it now since I have many games to play already, but its def. a future game to play.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Maybe if I find it on PC for $15 or so. Too many other games to play otherwise. I traded in my PS4 version which I got on the cheap a few months after launch.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I reinstalled it recently with the intention of eventually revisiting it.

I didn't hate it on release, but it was disappointing.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but I'm glad it seems like a lot of people are.

I wasn't super upset about the game when it launched, I just realized it wasn't for me. Too many new games dropping to go back to an old one that I've already started before and put down.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
If it goes on game pass or something like that I would check it out for sure. Just not worth the time and money right now.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Never had an issue with the original release and it only got better with the subsequent content updates.

Can't wait for NEXT.