Votes: 535 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 466 35.8%
  • I was always a fan

Votes: 299 23.0%

• Total voters

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
I never understand where this stems from. I followed the game from reveal to launch including reading articles in the broad sheets and any other sources I could find.

I never thought Sean behaved inappropriately. He hyped up his game, that's what he was there for .

People invented a game in their imaginations and then threw their toys out of the pram when the games didn't match up.

It didn't matter saying "this is not a multiplayer game", people had already decided what it was so there was no telling them.

Sean wanted the game to be about discovery so he revealed as little as possible. It back fired but there was no malice in it.

It's amazing the amount of willful ignorance you are bringing to bear in order to defend them, but this kind of verbal flailing isn't quite capable of erasing the past.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to support the developer ever again.

Also i'm pretty sure almost all those ''I was always a fan'' votes are just joke votes.

I read the reviews, checked out impressions, made an informed purchase (during launch week) instead of blindly buying into the hype, and I ended up playing that version of the game for about 60 hours. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch if many others followed a similar trajectory.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the reviews, checked out impressions, made an informed purchase (during launch week) instead of blindly buying into the hype, and I ended up playing that version of the game for about 60 hours. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch if many others followed a similar trajectory.
I mean I feel you but when a game maker says a game will have multiplayer in it, you shouldn't have to wait for reviews to confirm something like that. You're totally right to wait for reviews and purchase Day 2 instead of day 1 but it's pretty bad when the developer flat out lies about something as big as multiplayer and I don't think I was foolish to believe multiplayer was in the game prior to reading reviews. I got tricked but learned my lesson and won't ever believe anything Murray or Hello Games says until I play it for myself.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
it's pretty bad when the developer flat out lies about something as big as multiplayer
As big as the close-to-zero chance to just see another person and have little to no interaction with them*. Because that's what multiplayer meant in that capacity. You make it sound like traditional multiplayer, as we see it in other games, was missing from it.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As big as the close-to-zero chance to just see another person and have little to no interaction with them*. Because that's what multiplayer meant in that capacity. You make it sound like traditional multiplayer, as we see it in other games, was missing from it.
Interviewer: will you be able to play with your friends?

Sean murray: yeah

That's the 3rd clip in this video but they're all just like it. I have no clue where you're getting this "and have little to no interaction with them" from, but if you could cite your source I'd appreciate it.

Edit: forgot the clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

That's the 3rd clip in this video but they're all just like it. I have no clue where you're getting this "and have little to no interaction with them" from, but if you could cite your source I'd appreciate it.
Is that the video from a ~year and a half before launch? You understand that even if you concede that interactions with other users was a promise close to launch (which it really wasn't) then we're still talking about interactions with someone that you had a close-to-zero chance of ever seeing, right?

That was hammered home numerous times, and was a core tenet of the game. It's about as far away from traditional multiplayer or a large aspect of the game as you can get when it's positioned that the overwhelming likelihood is that you'd never ever bump into another player.

Edit:

There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now; that is a plan for multiplayer, and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game. That's something that we'll deal with further down the line, that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now. We have a laser-sharp focus on what we're going to ship with, basically.
From 2014
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-will-have-traditional-multiplayer-but-/1100-6420982/

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sure.

I bought this at launch to have a nice, relaxing space exploration game. Minecraft in space. That's kinda what I got. The base building, Creative/Hardcore survival mode, the added multiplayer is all extra and all amazing.

NMS was such a good game to play after work to relax with.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

This interview with a French site is from March 2016, a few months before release. Direct questions are asked about whether you can play with your friends, and Sean directly answers that no that's not what the game is about, it's about having a sense that someone else is in the same universe as you a la Dark Souls or Journey type of experience. I think he was very clear, and he re-iterated that viewpoint in several interviews leading up to release. People watch these "gotcha" videos and get a very selective, biased view of what Sean said over the course of development.

(i've timestamped the part for you)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never been swayed by this argument that blatant lying is hard to avoid and is something that needs to be learned "the hard way".

At the end of the day it's hard for me to want to give money to such a scummy developer. They got more success than they deserved on the games launch and don't see any reason I should encourage a developer to take a similar path.

You do you. But doing interviews is not easy. Source: someone who has terrible anxiety, and has had to do multiple interviews about my projects. No matter how many interviews I've done, I still get flustered. I still lose my train of thought. I still have a hard time stringing them together to form a coherent point. I'm always worried about my answers being misconstrued or mis-understood. And I don't have millions of people interested in what I have to say like Sean Murray did and does, with insane expectations.

There is an art to doing interviews. Some people are really, really good at it. Some people aren't. Sean is one of the latter. Or, at least was years and years ago. His excitement for his project was palpable, but he hadn't quite learned the art of doing PR interviews. Game development is liquid. Showing a game off too early is a risk every time, because things are almost always changing, even down to the wire. I don't doubt that at one point, everything he talked about implementing in the game in the one interview posted almost two years before launch of NMS was on the table.

As someone who followed the game hardcore, I saw when the shift started. Mainly after the flood. If anyone would actually look up interviews Sean did in the weeks after the flood, the months after the flood, and the demonstrations they gave of the game leading up to launch, they'd have seen that there were significant changes made to the game, and ones he talked about.

NMS was never going to have Fortnite level PVP. If anything, it was going to be like Journey, or some non-combative co-op. Other features probably fell to the wayside after testing proved that it wasn't workable (like planet rotation or sand worms). Games go through countless iterations during development. Best laid plans and all that.

But seriously, you do you. You don't have to like the game, or support Hello Games. Not every game is for everybody, but there are a million or so gamers that do enjoy NMS, and have stuck with it for the long haul, and as a result, updates like Foundation, Pathfinder, Atlas Rises, and NEXT have become a reality. I think that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Also i'm pretty sure almost all those ''I was always a fan'' votes are just joke votes.

Not for me.

NMS faltered out of the gate, but it was nowhere near the End Of The World some portrayed it as.

I liked it just fine in the early days and it only got better with each major update.

The way Hello Games was put on blast was actually kind of embarrassing to witness.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've never been swayed by this argument that blatant lying is hard to avoid and is something that needs to be learned "the hard way".

At the end of the day it's hard for me to want to give money to such a scummy developer. They got more success than they deserved on the games launch and don't see any reason I should encourage a developer to take a similar path.
Can you imagine still being like this two years later after all of the work Hello Games has done to this game

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I think everyone deserves a second chance so yeah. That said, if they screw up that second chance then there's no going back.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after all the hype died down and then the backlash i came to the conclusion that this game really just isn't my thing

so no

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this when it came out, but I ended up working a ton of OT so I was not able to really dig in except for a few initial hours.

Sounds like there has been a ton of updates to sift through, so I'm excited to really give this a thorough shot now.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This interview with a French site is from March 2016, a few months before release. Direct questions are asked about whether you can play with your friends, and Sean directly answers that no that's not what the game is about, it's about having a sense that someone else is in the same universe as you a la Dark Souls or Journey type of experience. I think he was very clear, and he re-iterated that viewpoint in several interviews leading up to release. People watch these "gotcha" videos and get a very selective, biased view of what Sean said over the course of development.

(i've timestamped the part for you)

He's far more ambiguous about it than your post describes and again, he claimed in multiple interviews it would have multilayer.

Even in the video you cite, he doesn't say people can't or won't play together but that it'll be rare to be in the same space at the same time but noted it depends how many people play the game. He then compared it to journey and dark souls which is again pretty ambiguous. His being ambiguous about it once doesn't undo the claims he made prior.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
He's far more ambiguous about it than your post describes and again, he claimed in multiple interviews it would have multilayer.

Even in the video you cite, he doesn't say people can't or won't play together but that it'll be rare to be in the same space at the same time but noted it depends how many people play the game. He then compared it to journey and dark souls which is again pretty ambiguous. His being ambiguous about it once doesn't undo the claims he made prior.

I can't believe I have to transcribe this.

Interviewer: If I travel to a planet and my friend travels to the same planet, can we play together?

Sean: Multiplayer for the game is not actually, we've always said, not really a big focus. If you want a MMO or deathmatch game, there's loads of other games that cater for that really well. What we want is a sense of other people in the universe. What will happen reasonably often is going to a planet and finding someone's been there before you, and you see some traces of them, maybe creatures they've named, things they've left behind perhaps. But actually going to a planet and another player being in the same place and time is incredibly rare, an depending on the number of players who play the game might not even happen basically. But if it does, we want people to have a little sense of that, but it's not a game about going and playing a deathmatch and having a big battle with each other. It's a little bit like Journey or Dark Souls, we want players to have a sense that there are other people playing the game at the same time.

Interviewer: So you are saying that if my friend travels to the same place I am at, we could play together for a while?

Sean: No, that's not really what the game is about. Like, again, when you talk about multiplayer, it gives people the wrong impression. Like I said, that's not what we're trying to build, and it's not what people should be thinking about going into the game.

Sure, Sean isn't great at explaining things, but he couldn't be much clearer here. The press person asks again if he can play with his friend, and Sean directly says, "No that isn't what this game is about. ... that's not what we're trying to build" That's a 100% clear no to a co-op experience.

You asked the other person for a source, I stepped in and provided one, and then you tried to move the goalpost. You are using "multiplayer" in the exact way Sean said the game is not. I have only seen two documented cases of him saying anything about a playing with your friends type of multiplayer, and as far as I can remember they were a couple years away from launch (aka still heavy in development). The overwhelming majority of interviews Sean gave in the last year or so (and I've seen and read them all), he answered in the same way he did here. That it was a sense of other players being there. And that's what was delivered finally in Atlas Rises.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Now that its 3rd person with coop im way more interested. What are the changes they made to combat?

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought the game had tons of potential, so im really happy it's starting to come together.

Will definitely give it a shot.

I sympathise more with the devs than the outrage on this game.

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game a lot for what it was when it launched. I'm extremely hyped to jump back in after a year of keeping it on the shelf.

Going to finish Yakuza 0 and then play this as my "break" from the Yakuza series before I get into Kiwami.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Based on questions I asked in another thread, the core gameplay mechanics appear to be unchanged since launch, so no, more stuff that requires 98% of my time in inventory management and very unsatisfying movement and world interaction (mining/shooting) upon which the rest of the gameplay mechanics are built upon means I don't have a good reason to return.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice they're making it so you can add a lot to this world and is still a technical marvel, but it's not a game that demands you keep playing it really. As with every other game that relies on randomly generated content, it loses its novelty once you see the seams, and that happened real quick first and second go around for me.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a chance in hell. There's far too many great games out to waste my time with a game from a dev that did what they did.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
People feel they must hate it out of principal.
Or they just moved on and (still) don't like it enough to drop other games for it. Hate is such a strong word.

When I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition, I got constantly DirectX errors and the respective thread in the official forums had over 40 pages after only two weeks. I stopped playing and haven't played it since. It most probably has been fixed, but I never got around to play it anymore. Other games were released, and are still being released, and it's now past its time. (That was also the time where I stopped pre-order games except for very rare occasions. I payed full price for a game I couldn't play back then and I'm not interested in anymore; and if I were, I could have picked it up way cheaper on a sale.)

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Not for me.

NMS faltered out of the gate, but it was nowhere near the End Of The World some portrayed it as. I liked it just fine in the early days and it only got better with each major update. The way Hello Games was put on blast was actually kind of embarrassing to witness.

Same here. I expected a game where I could fly around in space and explore things and that was what I got.

This juvenile attitude that the devs must be punished for "what they did" is unbecoming of this place. Some people need to grow the fuck up.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I bought it used just the week before they announced NEXT, so hell yeah, I never even started the game and I'm waiting for NEXT to be my first experience with that game world.