• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair.
Good catch! I must have done it subconsciously.... Because I hate it XD

I've tried reading through that thread and I still couldn't tell you the relationship between Wonder Boy and Monster Boy and everything else. And I just beat Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom.
Monster Boy (as far as I can tell) is a spiritual successor to the Wonderboy series taking heavy influence from Dragons Trap and using the monster name a lot of the games used in subtitles. It had some of the original staff working on it as well as a dev team that were clearly big fans of the original games.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think not using the Wonder Boy name for Monster Boy was a mistake (I remember some interview where they said they could use the Wonder Boy name but chose not to). Having at least all the modern releases with the same franchise name would have made sense.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Wonder Boy VII(?): Asha in Monster World V

The rights situation for this series must really be a mess outside of Japan. It's kind of wild to see even a couple key members from a game 20+ years old get back together for a sequel.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Welp, time to finally finish Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.

I only discovered these games recently, but I'm really glad I did and that they're alive and healthy today.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I think not using the Wonder Boy name for Monster Boy was a mistake (I remember some interview where they said they could use the Wonder Boy name but chose not to). Having at least all the modern releases with the same franchise name would have made sense.

Agree, it only makes the Wonder Boy/Monster World lineage more confusing that it already is

By the way, I didn't beat Monster Boy at 100%, and only now I have discovered that
there is a secret ending with Asha and the pepelogoo that hinted at this new game, that's awesome

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
EgMqyAhWsAEZbEc

Why would it say "the saga continues" if it was just a remake though? Hmmm.....

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I missed playing it on the Genesis the first time, but after checking a few videos of the original game I'm very excited for this remake.

Looks incredibly good to me!

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
A remake? Why? I was excited for a new game but if its just a remake then I don't really care. I'd rather just play the original. I don't need it with 2.5D graphics.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
"Brand new game" my ass. What the hell, IGN

Hopefully it has new areas and stuff...

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For some reason I missed playing it on the Genesis the first time, but after checking a few videos of the original game I'm very excited for this remake.

Looks incredibly good to me!
It was Japan-exclusive and didn't get an official release outside Japan until the Wii VC. It then released on the PS3 and 360 after that.

"Brand new game" my ass. What the hell, IGN
The writer also called the original game "Wonder Boy IV" so they were dumb all around. lol

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Ah faaaack that, what a hype-destroyer. :(

Just a remake.

Way to blow it IGN, try not announcing/revealing this sorta stuff without important details like that. >:|

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And we'll find out tomorrow if this is the game Strictly Limited Games teased in their email yesterday.

Our next announcement will be very special ✨

The Strictly Limited Games pre-order for August will be announced at the Opening Night Live show at gamescom! This time around, we'll open the pre-order as soon as the game is revealed at gamescom. This means that there will not be two batches available as usual during the last weekend of the month. We will only have one batch, going live during Opening Night Live (Thursday).

Being an extremely successful video game series, the name of this upcoming announcement is sure to invoke some of the very best gaming memories ever had by video game enthusiasts worldwide.

We're going to keep some of the suspense and leave it up to the one-and-only Geoff Keighley to reveal more about what we have in store for the video game community. We are above and beyond excited to be a part of the gamescom Opening Night Live show, and we know a fact that we're not alone in the hype!

Show starts at 8pm CEST (2pm ET/11am PT) tomorrow.

EDIT: Not Asha. 🙁
www.gematsu.com

Strictly Limited Games to release 30th anniversary edition of Turrican

Strictly Limited Games is partnering with the original development team behind the 1990-released Turrican to release a “special 30th birthday edition” of the game, the publisher announc…

Last edited:

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Expecting a PS Vita / mobile phone looking, 3rd person game filled with bland environments and loading screens. But I hope I'm wrong and it's just a good looking 2.5D remake though.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Hype deflated about it being 3D but cautiously optimistic since the original devs are working on it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
How does IGN continue to repeatedly fuck things like this up?

I'll keep my eye on it because of the pedigree involved but it being a 2.5D remake dampens my excitement quite a bit.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So it's actually a remake and uses 3D visuals?
tenor.gif

Though really I should actually finish the port on PS3, well if I had a working controller, ah well.

Still should be interesting to keep an eye on

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, hearing that it's "only" a remake is a bit disappointing. I love the original and I think it's perfectly fine and doesn't really need a remake. I was actually hoping for a new adventure, since that's something I was hoping for for many, many years. Of course I'm going to play it. Very much looking forward to the first gameplay footage.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Hm, hearing that it's "only" a remake is a bit disappointing. I love the original and I think it's perfectly fine and doesn't really need a remake. I was actually hoping for a new adventure, since that's something I was hoping for for many, many years. Of course I'm going to play it. Very much looking forward to the first gameplay footage.

i bet it'll be reworked in SOME way.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
also, apparently Wonderboy Returns & Wonderboy Returns Remix are 2 different games? and its impossible to get just Returns anymore? Returns was a new game in the style of the original with new boss fights? but people didnt like it so they patched it into the 'Remix' which is a more faithful remake instead of a new game? its hard to find info on this does anyone know for sure what the OG Remix was like?
Wow

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I just picked up Wonderboy Returns Remix as I watched a decent retrospective the other day and this news put me in the mood for some OG Wonderboy.

Jesus christ do not buy that game if you have a high refresh rate monitor. The clouds disappear above 60hz.......THE CLOUDS DISAPPEAR ABOVE 60HZ.

also, apparently Wonderboy Returns & Wonderboy Returns Remix are 2 different games? and its impossible to get just Returns anymore? Returns was a new game in the style of the original with new boss fights? but people didnt like it so they patched it into the 'Remix' which is a more faithful remake instead of a new game? its hard to find info on this does anyone know for sure what the OG Remix was like?

You can still get OG Returns on PS4, I think--it's definitely not a new game, it's more like a really bad from-memory interpretation of the original with new content crammed in every so often, and I can't even judge whether it was good or bad content because everything about that version felt so immediately wrong, and that was after multiple patches, it was literally unfinished when it launched.

When they announced Returns, they said Nishizawa would be supervising the remake, but then they released it before even showing it to him. Remix is the version Nishizawa actually touched and it's true, he pretty much took what was there and molded it into something much closer to the arcade game... there's nothing novel about it, but at least it's something someone could play and enjoy and not be repulsed by.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
And...damn. I'd rather play the original if it's going to be 2.5D. Unless they do something crazy and make it a fully expanded 3D world too. The Wonder Boy series moving into 3D space would shake things up enough to get me interested at least.