Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hmm, thanks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for which one to try first that would give me a good feel for what the series as a whole is about? I love metroidvanias, but am open to basically anything if one of the other entries is generally regarded as the best!
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PC, PS4, Switch, XB1) is a remake of WB3 (there are actually two games called WB3 but never mind that) and is a great game to try out. It even has a "retro" mode that you can switch on the fly to play with the original graphics from the Sega Master System. It also lets you listen to the original music. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PC, PS4, Switch, XB1) is the newest game in the series and is really great also. If you like them then there are some released on the PS3 (and 360?) if you want to play the older ones and try different styles.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
More Wonder Boy is always a good thing ... 😊

Out of curiosity, what platform was Monster World 4 originally on?

Surprised there's no PC version, and no Xbox either, although the latter is not quite as big a surprise.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
So lately for SEGA properties we've had or are going to have...

• Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Panzer Dragoon: Remake
  • Shenmue 3
  • Sakura Wars
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 Global
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX
  • And now Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World
And then there's also Bomb Rush Cyberfunk as a spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio. While some of the games I listed might not be considered as great as others, I've been pretty happy with how there's been a resurgence of these non-Sonic and Yakuza properties in the last few years. Hope SEGA keeps it up and continues partnering with indie devs.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I also find the controls and presentation superior in MW4. One of the best looking games on the MD.
Yes, absolutely. I only played the PS3 version when it was localized, but even with hindsight and knowing what Genesis games could look like, it's still great.

The funny thing with it was the cover on the PS3 release always bothered me, since it was obviously CG and I didn't think CG was capable of lighting like that back then. I kept wondering what the original cover actually looked like. Turns out that was the original cover and it was a photo of a clay model, lol.

Oct 2, 2018
I bought the last one on ps4. People were saying it's a great Metroidvania but Fuck me, the art and gameplay is kinda awful and I gave up when I got to the pig form. 🤢 The movement and it's general clunkiness is just urgh

I wish I can get a refund

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be in the same quality ballpark as Monster Boy. I still need to go back and play MW IV. Hopefully this delivers on
the Asha tease
from the secret ending of Monster Boy.
#paging Fredrik
Thanks for the heads up! It's so cool that this IP is getting more love, can't wait to see this, the bar is set high after Monster Boy and Dragon's Trap.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! I haven't beaten the most recent game yet, but have been having fun with it. Looking forward to the sequel, and happy to have some good news today.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing with it was the cover on the PS3 release always bothered me, since it was obviously CG and I didn't think CG was capable of lighting like that back then. I kept wondering what the original cover actually looked like. Turns out that was the original cover and it was a photo of a clay model, lol
Yeah that clay model is awesome. A shame they never released a figure or something reproducing it, would've bought it in a heartbeat haha.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so happy about this ;_;. And guys, I have a question.... what are the chances of seeing a port of Monster World IV on current consoles? (as sega ages or whatever). Been waiting for it for so long, but I really don't want to buy a Sega Genesis Mini just for it ;_;

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the last one on ps4. People were saying it's a great Metroidvania but Fuck me, the art and gameplay is kinda awful and I gave up when I got to the pig form. 🤢 The movement and it's general clunkiness is just urgh

I wish I can get a refund

tbf that wasn't an official game in the series though. The art direction in the originals is better and imo the gameplay too.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, thanks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for which one to try first that would give me a good feel for what the series as a whole is about? I love metroidvanias, but am open to basically anything if one of the other entries is generally regarded as the best!

There was a collection of games released last gen, might be backwards compatible on Xbox

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyperventilating. First Monster Boy, now this. One of my favourite franchises coming back in such a big way is something I never predicted.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So lately for SEGA properties we've had or are going to have...

• Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Panzer Dragoon: Remake
  • Shenmue 3
  • Sakura Wars
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 Global
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX
  • And now Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World
And then there's also Bomb Rush Cyberfunk as a spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio. While some of the games I listed might not be considered as great as others, I've been pretty happy with how there's been a resurgence of these non-Sonic and Yakuza properties in the last few years. Hope SEGA keeps it up and continues partnering with indie devs.
It's been a really great time to be an old school Sega fan.

I honestly can't believe Monster Boy/World is an active and thriving franchise in 2020. That's so rad.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
herrera.gif

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
The Wonder Boy revival is truly the most miraculous thing to happen this gen.

I didn't enjoy Monster Boy as much as i thought i would, but the game was still a pleasant experience. I would recommend Monster World 4 to any newbies to the series over Monster Boy.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Of ALL the old Sega franchises I never expected to come back (let alone get THREE games), this is up there with Gain Ground and The Ooze. As someone who played Dragon's Trap, Monster World, and IV growing up, this makes me very happy. I assume Sega is just licensing this out again?

And how about some Ristar love.

I'm so happy about this ;_;. And guys, I have a question.... what are the chances of seeing a port of Monster World IV on current consoles? (as sega ages or whatever). Been waiting for it for so long, but I really don't want to buy a Sega Genesis Mini just for it ;_;
You can still download the Wonder Boy bundle on 360 if you have that hooked up

For some reason Sega felt the need to translate IV 15 years after release

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Ah man! Really interested in jumping in on this series. A bit OT but can anyone help by listing an order to play these from the beginning? The ordering is pretty confusing...

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Preach. I just finished 7 sirens and the objectification shit got to a ridiculous level.

I swear to god if they lewd my girl Asha.
Yeah, I couldn't even bring myself to get 7 Sirens. The picture in the IGN article looks pretty not!lewd so hopefully we're good on that front.

Asha for Smash!

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
OMG this makes me so happy!!! I'm glad we're getting a new Wonder Boy game made in Japan, also starring best protagonist Aisha!
I was so tired of all the outsourced western stuff, even though i'm not really convinced about Artdink's ability to deliver.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ah man! Really interested in jumping in on this series. A bit OT but can anyone help by listing an order to play these from the beginning? The ordering is pretty confusing...
I can't do better than this thread.

www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...

Just know that the first 3 games (Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair) were originally arcade games and play like you'd expect from an arcade game.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Had a feeling something like this was coming when DotEmu was listed as one of the presenters for Gamescom

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Very nice that we will see more details soon! Looking at the artwork, the helper sprites from IV seem to be back, very cool!

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Makes no sense why there's not PC or Xbox versions. The recent games and Sega Collection set are all available.

Very poor.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
OMG WHAT

Hmm, thanks.

For literally $1 you can play this Genesis classic on a toaster and it's still really good:

Monster Boy is the more modern take on the franchise, there's a free demo apparently: