fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hate Inin Games for pulling this shit again, like with Bubble Bobble (which contrary to PS4 has no ACA BB release on Switch).
As a digital only buyer at this point Inin's fast becoming one of my least liked publishers. Also the shit they pulled with the various Darius, Space Invaders and Turrican collections. I'm always nervous now how they might screw us over whenever they pick something up.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Is the original MW4 emulated well on the Switch at least? Any word on who did it?

I have my copy unopened, and will just return it and buy this on sale if the original plays worse than it does on the Genesis Mini

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Is there any way to get the original version of the game by buying this digitally?

I already bought digitally on PS4 as I loved the original, but as much as usually hate this type of artstyle I don't think it looks that bad for this game

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the last two Monster X releases and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know about this one. The original release just looks better. I guess they used it as a test for future 3D games?

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Why can't I just pay $15 just for the original game? :-/ have zero interest in the remake or in spending 35€ for a physical version, ugh.

Hate Inin Games for pulling this shit again, like with Bubble Bobble (which contrary to PS4 has no ACA BB release on Switch).
Same here man. It's really annoying that the original version isn't available on the eShop.

Also, and slightly off-topic, I'd love to see the Arcade Archives version of the first Wonder Boy on the eShop, because that remake (Wonder Boy Returns Remix) looks hideous.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the last two Monster X releases and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know about this one. The original release just looks better. I guess they used it as a test for future 3D games?

The very end of the game has the genie tease a sequel, though it's kinda poorly worded. Seems like it's probably contingent on this release performing well.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
As a digital only buyer at this point Inin's fast becoming one of my least liked publishers. Also the shit they pulled with the various Darius, Space Invaders and Turrican collections. I'm always nervous now how they might screw us over whenever they pick something up.

Word. :/

Same here man. It's really annoying that the original version isn't available on the eShop.

Also, and slightly off-topic, I'd love to see the Arcade Archives version of the first Wonder Boy on the eShop, because that remake (Wonder Boy Returns Remix) looks hideous.

I've been screaming from the top of the mountain to get Sega/Westone og arcade Wonder Boy for what feels like ages, since Wii's VC Arcade (at least the SMS port was very good), and ACA Wonder Boy is yet again another game confined to a single platform and this one's even worse since it's a JPN-ONLY PSN release exclusive to PS4.

All these low effort shitty releases, Wonder Boy Returns/Remix, Pang Adventures, Bubble Bobble, are preventing true arcade classic to be available because some shitty overthinking that the audience is the same and we'll buy the new games if the old ones aren't there, made their way into contracts "thanks" to lending/outsourcing of the IPs by the original pubs. Really hope some of these are timed but it's been years since some of them haven't been re-released.

Namco's treatment of Ms Pac-Man is also disgraceful (an early ACA Ms Pac-Man has been PS4 exclusive for 6 years iirc) on top of Microsoft's exclusivity deal for home console versions of og Pac-Man CE.

I could softmod my Switch, but honestly without online leaderboards these releases would lose the majority of their appeal to me.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's still available on Amazon US, might be Canada getting extremely limited supplies. After much debate, managed to order a copy from Walmart on Friday.

Raiden IV is another title that's almost impossible to find here (added to VGP just recently but only releasing next week). Had to import it from a US retailer.
Could be, yeah. Amazon even removed their "Temporarily Out of Stock" mention, and now only has it available via third party sellers (at a ridiculous cost), so I'm not hopeful that they'll get more in. Amazon.com still has stock so I don't know how rare it will be overall, it might just be a Canada thing as you said. Regardless, ordering from Amazon.com seems to have been the smart choice, since it looks like I won't be able to find it in Canada otherwise.

Jan 11, 2018

As far as the physical releases go, it seems to me most of the time the Switch versions are favoured by either SLG/ININ or the developer. If the former can't do much about the latter's decisions, then at the very least they should come up with their own ways to compensate. Switch version gets an additional game announced, but PS4 owners still paid just as much for their copies and received nothing extra. And not being able to put the original Monster World IV on the PS4 disc is such bs. Then you have the incredibly long wait times before the games actually go into production on top of this :/

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing this some and got up to finishing the volcano area, the first major portion of the game. I am digging this! I never played the original Monster World IV, though I do have the opportunity as it's on the Switch cart, so I should note that. But as an original experience for me, I'm enjoying the game. I like the old school feel with some modern sensibilities like being able to save anywhere. Hope to get some more playtime in with this, as outside of the rampant typos, it's rather fun!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
The very end of the game has the genie tease a sequel, though it's kinda poorly worded. Seems like it's probably contingent on this release performing well.
The original MWIV has the Genie saying "This is the end of the Monster World series... or is it?" is it more explicit than that?

Jan 6, 2019
I didn't really like this. It didn't add anything meaningful and the original is nicer looking. Not sure why the digital version is so overpriced when it is lesser than the retail version (in Canada you save like 3 bucks buying digital). Plus I really never want to play the ice pyramid again. Twice is enough for me! It sucked less in the remake because I kinda remembered what to do, but it's still a miserable, boring slog.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The original MWIV has the Genie saying "This is the end of the Monster World series... or is it?" is it more explicit than that?

I can't remember it exactly but he definitely says the word "sequel". Could just be an alternative localization of the same line, though.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Up to the ice pyramid. I wish they added a map for the other dungeons. The graphics make everything look the same.

I hope they fix the framerate and the script, but I'm not holding out hope. I don't know how a script like this gets through.

I think the game is still good, but it's really just a low budget indie game and probably shouldn't be $40. That's more than both Monster Boy (on PC at least) and The Dragon's Trap, which were much higher quality.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Namco's treatment of Ms Pac-Man is also disgraceful (an early ACA Ms Pac-Man has been PS4 exclusive for 6 years iirc) on top of Microsoft's exclusivity deal for home console versions of og Pac-Man CE.

Namco's not on ACA in any way, shape or form, and Ms. Pac-Man is a game that Namco doesn't own so there are complications with any sort of reissue. (ATGames claims they own it nowadays, but that claim's under dispute.)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Namco's not on ACA in any way, shape or form, and Ms. Pac-Man is a game that Namco doesn't own so there are complications with any sort of reissue. (ATGames claims they own it nowadays, but that claim's under dispute.)

Mmmm not really. The Arcade Game Series is predated by ACA by 1 year, is exclusive to PS4 and Xbox (and PC? Don't remember) and they are still on sale right now by Namco (Ms Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Pac-Man…)

2AfCe3Z.jpg

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmm not really. The Arcade Game Series is predated by ACA by 1 year, is exclusive to PS4 and Xbox (and PC? Don't remember) and they are still on sale right now by Namco (Ms Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Pac-Man…)

2AfCe3Z.jpg
Gotch Technology did the Arcade Games Series for Namco. They also did the later Namco Museum on Switch. You might be confusing things as they also did the ACA NeoGeo line and some other Arcade Archives emulation for Hamster.

AGS was on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It was only four games though iirc (Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug and Ms. Pac-Man).

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Gotch Technology did the Arcade Games Series for Namco. They also did the later Namco Museum on Switch. You might be confusing things as they also did the ACA NeoGeo line and some other Arcade Archives emulation for Hamster.

Yep, I had already edited my post but this is the reason, good catch. Either way, AGS Ms. Pac-Man is still currently sold by Namco on PSN etc.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

That's not ACA, but I did forget all about that thing. Even so, back to what I was saying, the reason Ms. Pac-Man is absent from the bundled versions, most other compilations, etc is because Namco doesn't own the game and has to cut separate deals whenever they reissue it, and nowadays the ownership of the game is under dispute so we may have seen the last of it for a while. It's not as if they're trying to snub certain platforms or they've pigeonholed it as a value-add to incentivize other purchases or whatever, it just has rights complications that their other games don't have.

Going back to ACA Wonder Boy, which you mentioned earlier, that's JP-PS4 exclusive because the deal for that release in that region was cut before Westone went bankrupt, and after they went bankrupt the ownership changed hands and the license became harder to negotiate. Again, they're not trying to force people to buy the remake, the cards just fell that way.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
That's not ACA, but I did forget all about that thing. Even so, back to what I was saying, the reason Ms. Pac-Man is absent from the bundled versions, most other compilations, etc is because Namco doesn't own the game and has to cut separate deals whenever they reissue it, and nowadays the ownership of the game is under dispute so we may have seen the last of it for a while. It's not as if they're trying to snub certain platforms or they've pigeonholed it as a value-add to incentivize other purchases or whatever, it just has rights complications that their other games don't have.

Going back to ACA Wonder Boy, which you mentioned earlier, that's JP-PS4 exclusive because the deal for that release in that region was cut before Westone went bankrupt, and after they went bankrupt the ownership changed hands and the license became harder to negotiate. Again, they're not trying to force people to buy the remake, the cards just fell that way.

I mean, the game was basically born out of legal limbo, that's Ms Pac-Man's dna lol

There's zero chance we have seen the last of this property, hopefully they'll reach an agreement soon. It's one of Namco's catalogue biggest earners…. but yeah it's been a while already since the last release, when did the "new" ownership dispute with AT begin? Has it really been 5/6 years already?!

It sucks because, hear this, I'm a son of the arcade golden age, and Ms. Pac-Man, Bubble Bobble and Wonder Boy, all 3 are on my top10 games of all time. These days I don't really play games on TV anymore besides FIFA on PS4 and trying the odd GP game here and there, 90% of my gaming is done on Switch's portable mode… Imagine how bummed out I am :-(
Le sigh.

About ACA Wonderboy (and Inin's Bubble Bobble, for the record) the reason is exactly as I stated. The license didn't "become harder to negotiate", as you can obviously see from Returns Remix release which is relatively recent, there was nothing to negotiate because the license deal included WB's og arcade rights as part of the contract. They are absolutely wanting you to buy the new games, again with a very similar deal for Taito's Bubble Bobble with Inin which hopefully will expire soon (although I fear the Von Bubba's update/retail re-release somehow extended it some more). If you feel like it you can reach out to me via PM and I'll elaborate further, here I've said everything I can.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Asha plays better than it looks, I guess thats a 'win'?

Still pretty poor compared to the 2 MW games having SUCH high polish. Oh well, love my little Wonder Boy Switch collection.

That script though lolol, how did that get through? How did no one say "Wait a minute..." With that amount of errors it must be a yes we know, yes we don't care type thing. Just shocks me, in 2021, this isn't a $3 random thing on Steam - it was $40!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Didn't watch the video yet but I have an idea what Coury felt about it since he talked about it on the Sunday stream while Try played it.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
He said it's running at 30fps on the Switch, I thought it's 60 fps on every system?
I didn't watch the video but the Switch is not 30fps (in docked mode. Can't speak for handheld!) but its also not a locked 60fps . It spends a lot of its time in the 45-50 range from what I can tell and never quite feels totally smooth. Some cutscenes and the save menu are awful, though. They absolutely CHUG on the Switch. The PS4 version, on the other hand is a smooth 60fps the whole way through. Though as I noted above, I played through it on the PS5.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I didn't watch the video but the Switch is not 30fps (in docked mode. Can't speak for handheld!) but its also not a locked 60fps . It spends a lot of its time in the 45-50 range from what I can tell and never quite feels totally smooth. Some cutscenes and the save menu are awful, though. They absolutely CHUG on the Switch. The PS4 version, on the other hand is a smooth 60fps the whole way through. Though as I noted above, I played through it on the PS5.
Okay, thanks. Runs like I expected then tbh.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Asha plays better than it looks, I guess thats a 'win'?

Still pretty poor compared to the 2 MW games having SUCH high polish. Oh well, love my little Wonder Boy Switch collection.

That script though lolol, how did that get through? How did no one say "Wait a minute..." With that amount of errors it must be a yes we know, yes we don't care type thing. Just shocks me, in 2021, this isn't a $3 random thing on Steam - it was $40!

I see Ryuishi Nishizawa talking to fans on Twitter and stuff in English, so feedback about the script must have made it to him by now. Maybe it was just a budget or time issue. Hopefully it'll be fixed by the time the Steam version comes out. That would just be embarrassing if it released on Steam with the same horrible script too.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More people should be playing this remake (and the original if they haven't). I understand the graphics disappointment but it plays really well and the animations are charming.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
More people should be playing this remake (and the original if they haven't). I understand the graphics disappointment but it plays really well and the animations are charming.
I rather liked it. It's not the original and I understand the disappointment of what could have been. Especially on the visuals front but it does indeed play very well and I liked the remixed music, too. Hopefully some patches will correct the script issues which are really the biggest bother to me.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have a chance to see how well the original MW IV is emulated on the physical version? Was wondering if it's the same rom that was used for the Wii VC or a new translation.

Ordered the deluxe LE box set from SLG so will be awhile until I get to try the remake.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have a chance to see how well the original MW IV is emulated on the physical version? Was wondering if it's the same rom that was used for the Wii VC or a new translation.
My Life in Gaming did a pretty good video about it, in short it's the same translation as the previous re-releases and the emulation is overall solid but sadly there's no save states unlike so many recent retro re-releases, but the scanlines options are surprisingly in depth.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've been playing this and got right up to the Final Boss, died and then realized I hadn't saved in like an hour and a half after I died (my first death in the entire game)

...so I think I'm done, I don't feel like redoing the entire last spirit dungeon + the various bosses that lead up to the final boss. In a way I kinda wish the old men still prompted a save, because I just straight up forget to save often and they'd ensure at least a trickle of saves at key moments (and at places where the game was balanced to save anyway)

The graphics are alright, although coming off the nice 2D artwork of the other Wonder Boy games on the Switch, this one leaves a lot to be desired. I watched a few minutes of the original and noticed Pepelogoo actually had an animation for going through doors (it pops in with a magical sparkle), while in the remake it just... clips through the wall or gets stuck or whatever and it's not as smooth. Asha's default pose also looks pretty stiff when rendered in 3D, almost t-pose-esque

It's a really fun game, though, and maybe some other time I'll try running through the original game. It doesn't seem like there's much different between them, and I always find Genesis music and graphics to be charming. And with the old man prompting me to save, maybe I'll save more than once every 2 hours lol