Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it might end up being different from both of them, and more like Monster World IV. I haven't played much of that game but I think it's a Metroidvania. This new game appears to star the same protagonist from that game.
MWIV isn't a Metroidvania at all. It's linear with a central town + portals to other levels and once you beat those levels you can't go back to them to grab anything you missed.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
MWIV isn't a Metroidvania at all. It's linear with a central town + portals to other levels and once you beat those levels you can't go back to them to grab anything you missed.
Oh, my mistake. Thank you. I'll edit my post. I've only played a little of the game so I had the wrong impression. Does it have a solid save system?
Edit: tagging Aostia82 here to correct my earlier bad info.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh, my mistake. Thank you. I'll edit my post. I've only played a little of the game so I had the wrong impression. Does it have a solid save system?
Yeah but the first time I played through it was on the PS3 so I just used the save feature they added on top of the original Mega Drive one.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is the timeline where Wonder Boy/Monster Boy is more relevant than Sonic gaming wise.

tenor.gif

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the first time I played through it was on the PS3 so I just used the save feature they added on top of the original Mega Drive one.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks Fuzzy. I've got it on Wii so no extra save feature there. But hopefully the original save system is sufficient.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wow didn't expect this.

Tbh I liked Wonderboy in Monster World better, MW IV is more dungeon focused and didn't like it as much, but it was still a great game, also pretty charming and some of the best graphics on the Mega Drive.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I can't keep track of the numbering anymore.

Is this Wonder Boy VIII: Monster World V: Asha II?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
A sequel?? Wow! Never expected that. Going with a fully voiced cast is a seriously ballsy move too, but I trust them to make something special.

No PC is a bit odd and unfortunate, hope it gets added later on. Either way there is no way I am missing out on this game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LET'S GOO!!!!!

Monster World IV is not only my favorite in the franchise, but also one of my favorite games of all time. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Oct 24, 2019
Some of the games are. Check out Krejlooc's thread on the franchise for lots of info:
www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...
Kinda? More puzzle rooms though.
Some of them are pure arcade action, some of them are action RPGs, the Dragons Trap is a metroidvania, the game this is a sequel to, Monster World IV, is a sorta quasi-metroidvania (power progression but mostly linear).

Hmm, thanks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for which one to try first that would give me a good feel for what the series as a whole is about? I love metroidvanias, but am open to basically anything if one of the other entries is generally regarded as the best!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the structure of Dragon's Trap is better but IV has better dungeon design. Given the praise for Monster Boy and Dragon's Trap remake, I bet it is more "Metroidvania" style than level-based.
Personally I also find the controls and presentation superior in MW4. One of the best looking games on the MD.

Zerojul

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
If this is as good as Monster Boy we're in a for a treat. Can't wait to hear more about this.
On a side note, I wonder what Game Atelier is working on at the moment.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, thanks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for which one to try first that would give me a good feel for what the series as a whole is about? I love metroidvanias, but am open to basically anything if one of the other entries is generally regarded as the best!
Monster Boy is a great entry point imo. I would recommend Wonder Boy 5: Monster World 3 otherwise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, thanks.

Monster Boy. It's widely available and the most modern.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder Boy then Monster Boy then Wonder Boy again.

Not confusing at all.

Considering the absurd history of the Wonder Boy/Monster World series, that's on brand if anything.

Amusingly, the creator of Shantae once said he had never heard of Monster World 4 despite Shantae being very similar to Asha.

Whether or not that's true aside - they had heard of Monster World in general, right? Having just gone through a few Shantae games I always felt like they were a callback to Monster World moreso than Metroidvanias.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in this series but never knew where to start. Always loved Asha's character design in particular so I might as well try to get a head start before this comes out. There's two games on the Switch, right? Which one is the better jumping in point?