Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I can't do better than this thread.

www.resetera.com

Wonder Boy -- What is the secret of your power??

First of all, some music for this post, I encourage you to read this topic while playing this song: Monster Boy just came out and is one of the very best games this year, but the casual fan might not know that Monster Boy is the 7th game in one of the longest running gaming series out there...

Just know that the first 3 games (Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair) were originally arcade games and play like you'd expect from an arcade game.
Awesome! Thanks so much.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

Incredible news!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For literally $1 you can play this Genesis classic on a toaster and it's still really good:

Is this similar to the Sega Ages release on Switch? I briefly tried this Genesis version on Steam (made it to the first Inn), and it seemed similar. I'm kinda lost when it comes to this series' history as the only ones I've played are the original Wonder Boy on the Master System, Dragon's Trap (2017), and then Monster Boy (2018).

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
The key art in the OP is undeniably from the original Monster World 4 lead artist.

Just imagining a whole game with that style has me salivating.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm a little confused by this series (and the fact that each new entry seems to be by a different team), but it's really cool to see it come back after 20+ years in such a big way.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
i'm a little confused by this series (and the fact that each new entry seems to be by a different team), but it's really cool to see it come back after 20+ years in such a big way.
It's been a crazy series with name changes and spin offs. Essentially if I get this right:

The original games:

Wonderboy
Wonderboy in Monster land
Wonderboy Dragons trap
Wonderboy in monsterworld
Monster World IV

New games:

Wonderboy Dragons Trap (remake)
Wonderboy Remix (remake)
Monster Boy cursed Kingdom
Wonderboy Asha in Monster World.

So, monster land got made twice I believe in weird circumstances and then after monster world came out they called Wonderboy IV Monster World IV as a continuation of those games and this new game is a sequel to that.

I would only recommend playing Dragons Trap (remake), Monster World, Monster World IV and Monster boy personally.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
It's been a crazy series with name changes and spin offs. Essentially if I get this right:

The original games:

Wonderboy
Wonderboy Dragons trap
Monster World IV

And because I take endless joy in the utter complexity of this series, here's most of the variants:

Wonderboy (Arcade, SMS, GG, etc)
Adventure Island (FC/NES)
Wonder Boy Returns (Modern Remake)

Wonderboy in Monster Land (Arcade, SMS)
Bikkuriman World (PCE)
Saiyuki World (FC)
Monica in the Dragon's Castle (Brazil)

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
Dragon's Curse (TG16)
Adventure Island (PCE, completely different/separate from regular Adventure Island, because this wasn't complex enough already)
Monica's Gang to the Rescue (Brazil)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Modern Remake)

Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis, I also have to note that this can accurately be called Wonder Boy 5: Monster World 3)
The Dynastic Hero (TGCD)
Monica's Gang in the Monster's Land (Brazil)

Monster World IV (Genesis...and that's it. You expected more?)

That's not even taking into account that it spawned a completely different series in Adventure Island, and there was also a Saiyuki World sequel.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The original games:

Wonderboy
Wonderboy Dragons trap
Monster World IV

New games:

Wonderboy Remix (remake)

So, monster land got made twice I believe in weird circumstances and then after monster world came out they called Wonderboy IV Monster World IV as a continuation of those games and this new game is a sequel to that.

I would only recommend playing Dragons Trap (remake), Monster World, Monster World IV and Monster boy personally.
thanks for the breakdown. that makes it a little less confusing :)

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
As GREAT as the aesthetic/art/chars is for MW 4 I vastly prefer how MW 3 was designed. I hope it's more like that or MW 2 even. I've played Monster Boy for a few hrs, it's more like MW 2-3 isn't it? More of that with Asha would be awesome.

Nov 18, 2017
I just picked up Wonderboy Returns Remix as I watched a decent retrospective the other day and this news put me in the mood for some OG Wonderboy.

Jesus christ do not buy that game if you have a high refresh rate monitor. The clouds disappear above 60hz.......THE CLOUDS DISAPPEAR ABOVE 60HZ.

also, apparently Wonderboy Returns & Wonderboy Returns Remix are 2 different games? and its impossible to get just Returns anymore? Returns was a new game in the style of the original with new boss fights? but people didnt like it so they patched it into the 'Remix' which is a more faithful remake instead of a new game? its hard to find info on this does anyone know for sure what the OG Remix was like?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What are the options for playing the original Monster World 4 today? I would like to try it out. Being in Japanese isn't a problem.

Edit: I see it was available on 360, PS3, and Wii. Tragically I don't have those on me at the moment :/

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how it's going to look.

I guess people expect it to look like the new artwork, so basically kinda like Monster Boy, but how many Japanese indie teams have made 2d games with hd sprites so far outside of Vanillaware?

I actually think it's going to be in pixel art, hopefully Mega Drive level and beyond if that's the case.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
GIVE IT TO ME

So lately for SEGA properties we've had or are going to have...

• Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Panzer Dragoon: Remake
  • Shenmue 3
  • Sakura Wars
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 Global
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX
  • And now Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World
And then there's also Bomb Rush Cyberfunk as a spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio. While some of the games I listed might not be considered as great as others, I've been pretty happy with how there's been a resurgence of these non-Sonic and Yakuza properties in the last few years. Hope SEGA keeps it up and continues partnering with indie devs.
Sega's IP licensing has been insanely on point this gen. Trying to think of everything:
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (Merge Games, Jankenteam)
  • Bayonetta 1 / 2 (Nintendo, PlatinumGames)
  • Bayonetta 3 (Nintendo, PlatinumGames)
  • Clockwork Aquario (ININ Games, LAT) *dunno if Sega co-owns this?
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (FDG Entertainment, The Game Atelier)
  • Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio)
  • Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake (Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio)
  • Panzer Dragoon VR: Voyage Record (Wildman)
  • Resonance of Fate 4k/HD (tri-Ace)
  • Rez Infinite (Enhance Games, Resonair, Monstars Inc)
  • Shenmue III (Deep Silver, YS Net, Neilo)
  • Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash (Grounding, Land Ho!)
  • Streets of Rage 4 (Dotemu, Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games)
  • The House of the Dead: Remake (Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio)
  • The House of the Dead 2: Remake (Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio)
  • Tokyo Mirage Session #FE / Encore (Nintendo, Atlus)
  • Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World (ININ Games, ArtDink, LAT)
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Dotemu, Lizardcube)
  • Wonder Boy Returns / Remix (CFK Digital)

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Hope this finds it's way to Xbox eventually. I have all the other available Wonder Boy games so I don't want to miss this one.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So what's the deal with this series, like who is green lighting these projects?

It's so weird that the recent releases have gone Wonder Boy -> Monster Boy -> Wonder Boy, and by three seperate dev teams as well. Are they actually connected under a single umbrella that owns the rights and everything?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'd personally put Monster World IV behind pretty much every game in the series besides Wonder Boy 1, but it's still a pretty good game, and I'm curious to see how this pans out.

The original games:

Wonderboy
Wonderboy Dragons trap
Monster World IV

New games:

Wonderboy Remix (remake)

You're missing Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Yussss!

I love MW4, damn shame I can't access my copy on PSN due to no longer having a PS3.

They better make that available for PS4/5 with this sequel coming out.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the deal with this series, like who is green lighting these projects?

It's so weird that the recent releases have gone Wonder Boy -> Monster Boy -> Wonder Boy, and by three seperate dev teams as well. Are they actually connected under a single umbrella that owns the rights and everything?

There's supposedly some weird trademark issues with Wonder Boy, and that's the only reason Monster Boy was called Monster Boy; no idea why it was an issue for just that game and neither of the other two. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure SEGA owns all the rights and they just license the IP out to developers who have a good pitch.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Do they own any part of Toe Jam and Earl? Because I guess there was also that

I might be wrong but my understanding is that Humanature owns the characters outright but SEGA still owns or partially owns the original games. So both parties need to agree on re-releases but Humanature can do new stuff on their own.

Either way SEGA seems to be on good terms with them so stuff like TJ&E1 on the Genesis Mini is easy.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought Monster Boy was an indie throw back to the Wonder Boy games and not actually tied into the series. Well damn.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If someone told me at the start of this gen we would get 2 Wonderboy remakes and 2 original games, all from different developers I would have told them off for being totally unrealistic.

And yet, here we are!

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this similar to the Sega Ages release on Switch? I briefly tried this Genesis version on Steam (made it to the first Inn), and it seemed similar. I'm kinda lost when it comes to this series' history as the only ones I've played are the original Wonder Boy on the Master System, Dragon's Trap (2017), and then Monster Boy (2018).

Wonder boy in Monster land and Dragon's Trap are the only old ones worth playing.

Hoping for an art style more in line with the former but one could only dream.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried reading through that thread and I still couldn't tell you the relationship between Wonder Boy and Monster Boy and everything else. And I just beat Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
whoa, nice
So this is a full-blown sequel? 'Cause the keyart gots me thinking remake.

EgMqyAhWsAEZbEc
goddamn, it's real...
though I find it funny they're going to keep the Wonder Boy name when they tried several times to make 'Monster World' stick as the branding for the series, but I guess keeping it in the subtitle is good enough

I can't keep track of the numbering anymore.

Is this Wonder Boy VIII: Monster World V: Asha II?

shhh...no numbers, only sub-titling

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Wonderboy was my fave series during the 8-16 bit days and Dragon's Trap was my single favorite game until I played The Shadow of Colossis but after buying the Dragon's Trap remake and playing thru some of Cursed Kingdom I can't help but feel like the series needs a proper next gen update and not just 2d graphics overhaul. Maximo was a good update for Ghouls N Ghosts so something like that with some lite RPG elements would be something I would be more interested in.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I have 2 physical Switch Wonder Boy games sitting here on my Switch shelf! 2 actual released in shops Wonder Boy games... on a current gen console. It still blows my mind to think this.

Really excited to add this 3rd one! :D MWIV was fantastic.

Logbomb

Feb 9, 2018
... with members of the original Wonder Boy creative team at the helm. That includes series creator Ryuichi Nishizawa (who has returned to lead and direct this new game), original composer Shinichi Sakamoto (who will be producing the game's sounds, this time around), character designer Maki Ōzora, and creative manager Takanori Kurihara.

Here are the games from the original series that each of these team members were involved with:

Ryuichi Nishizawa - Programmer / Director
- Wonder Boy
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land
- Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
- Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap
- Monster World IV

Shinichi Sakamoto - Audio
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land
- Wonder Boy in Monster World

Maki Ōzora - Art / Design
- Monster World IV

Takanori Kurihara - Programmer

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Awesome! I'm glad so much of the original team is on board. I really enjoyed Monster Boy for what it was, but the game was over-designed to the point of every screen being a mini-puzzle that really slowed down the flow of the game. Hopefully this one is more balanced. Can't wait!