Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Wow it looks dreadful visually. The core game itself is a masterpiece so it is still sure to be great, but wow but these new visuals are just the worst.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Looks better in motion. The video quality is horrible, tho. Where they using a vhs camcorder lol.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah as soon as I heard Artdink were involved, I was definitely dropping my hype levels (their games usually do not look good at all, even though they're a relatively solid dev overall). A very odd choice to have as the developers for a classic (beautiful) 2D platformer, for sure.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
AZpdo7b.jpg

Fuck.

Off.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah as soon as I heard Artdink were involved, I was definitely dropping my hype levels (their games usually do not look good at all, even though they're a relatively solid dev overall). A very odd choice to have as the developers for a classic (beautiful) 2D platformer, for sure.
Ah. Yeah, i can see it lol.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
The artstyle is.. kind of a bummer? I think the character models look pretty good but it's just not gonna have the same cohesion the original sprite style did. I'll wait for clearer full res trailer for final judgement.

What I am looking forward to though is the chance this will improve the original substantially because it honestly needs it. MWIV was the reason I wanted to check out the series in the first place but when I finally got around to it after playing the games preceding I found it to be surprisingly disappointing. It's the best looking of them no doubt but MW1-3 are all above it in structure and design, Dragon's Trap and Monster World 3 especially.

Really need to finish Monster Boy.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can live with the graphics. Her climbing animation really bothers me though.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The full trailer is supposed to be shown on that stream at 11:30AM PT, which is in about 5 minutes give or take.

EDIT: yup, they aired it

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the full trailer, and graphics aside it's running at like 10 fps or something.

Super, super rough.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I just don't understand why they're making this. Why remake an already great 2D pixel art game in low budget 2.5D graphics? 3D models don't necessarily make things better.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fix the frame rate and the weird aliasing and honestly it looks passable. I still think the character model itself looks good, though there's some oddities like the climbing animation.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks about what i imagined after hearing it would go 3D.

Disappointing to see so many Japanese devs never evolve beyond PS2 visuals.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Okay from the full trailer I think it looks fine outside of some weird aliasing and framerates. The forest area looked the worst for some reason but I'm not too worried.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I just don't understand why they're making this. Why remake an already great 2D pixel art game in low budget 2.5D graphics? 3D models don't necessarily make things better.

Just a guess, but I think in their eyes this is actually an upgrade? I think this is why SEnix used that ugly filter on FF5 /6/Chrono Trigger and were shocked when fans asked for Chrono to have its original graphics brought back.

Some older Japanese devs seem to think the 2D sprite era looks terrible which I'll never understand personally.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Whyyyyyy... who wanted this? Who asked for this?

Give it to Lizardcube 😭

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I could live with the graphics perfectly fine if it was a new game and not a remake of a game with superb spritework.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Those 2D to 3D comparison shots in the trailer did not do them any favors. The new version just looks so drab and lifeless.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Uuuuuuuuh, I had something different in mind when they said remake. It basically looks like a 3d transplant and that's not what I was hoping for when they said remake. The gameplay will be great (unless they somehow change that) but visually I was hoping for something entirely different for a remake. Man, that bums me out. I love the original so much.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Just a guess, but I think in their eyes this is actually an upgrade? I think this is why SEnix used that ugly filter on FF5 /6/Chrono Trigger and were shocked when fans asked for Chrono to have its original graphics brought back.

Some older Japanese devs seem to think the 2D sprite era looks terrible which I'll never understand personally.

That makes sense. I don't know why Japanese developers seem to completely misunderstand the appeal of the games they made themselves.

EqOGoaa.png

Someone get me a time warp to 1994, cos it's better than now

This is the perfect example as to why 3D is not always better. the 94 version looks like its cutting edge for the hardware its on while the remake looks like a budget title. It's like going from AAA to B-tier.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Visually it reminds me A LOT of the 3D remakes on the PS2 Sega Ages line, and that's not a complement (though those also botched the gameplay).

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping there is a chance they can give it to Game Atelier to redo this because this is the Wonder Boy game I wanted remade the most and it doesn't deserve this poor quality.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, they gave it the New Super Mario Bros treatment.

Still picking this up to support the series, but I genuinely don't know what they were thinking with this.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. I don't know why Japanese developers seem to completely misunderstand the appeal of the games they made themselves.

This is the perfect example as to why 3D is not always better. the 94 version looks like its cutting edge for the hardware its on while the remake looks like a budget title. It's like going from AAA to B-tier.

I think the difference was, by 1994 standards, the original was a great looking game. Maybe not on the level of Yoshi's Island or DK Country (though a lot of that is preference, I would sort of prefer it to DKC) but still fairly close to top of the line 2D work on some of these games. The remake is not anywhere near top of the line or even "good" by 2020 standards, where stuff like Ori and Cuphead exist. It feels like a game made by people who think simply being in 3D, and modeled out of polygons, automatically makes it an improvement, which is such a dated mindset like out of the N64/PS era.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Is this the one thats on the Genesis Mini ?...because I played it this summer and its not that good...of course the Mini's controller is pretty awful,it has huge input lag and well like most of the game in those days,its goddman hard,could not progress further at a certain point...

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is this the one thats on the Genesis Mini ?...because I played it this summer and its not that good...of course the Mini's controller is pretty awful,it has huge input lag and well like most of the game in those days,its goddman hard,could not progress further at a certain point...
It is.