• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood has been trash in no method of providing feed back was it ever going to survive for long
It still is by far the best performing new series in mangaplus this year, beating blue box even, sure you think it is trash but I cant believe there is such a big difference in taste between japan and the west

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Kaiju and spy x family and i think both are bigger than csm, still my point is that both got big much earlier than both
and JJK is from 2018 and has an anime so I wasnt counting it
According to the manga sales for 2021 so far, SxF is close but both are below CSM.
www.resetera.com

Japanese Manga Sales |OT| The Sales Diaries Anime/Manga - OT

Oricon 2021 Series Ranking, as of August 29th: 01./ Jujutsu Kaisen – 28,437,222 02./ Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – 27,688,519 03./ Tokyo Revengers – 18,301,652 04./ Attack on Titan - ~7,000,000 05./ My Hero Academia – 5,213,610 06./ Chainsaw Man - ~4,870,000 07./ One Piece - ~4,570,000 08./...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
According to the manga sales for 2021 so far, SxF is close but both are below CSM.
www.resetera.com

Japanese Manga Sales |OT| The Sales Diaries Anime/Manga - OT

Oricon 2021 Series Ranking, as of August 29th: 01./ Jujutsu Kaisen – 28,437,222 02./ Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – 27,688,519 03./ Tokyo Revengers – 18,301,652 04./ Attack on Titan - ~7,000,000 05./ My Hero Academia – 5,213,610 06./ Chainsaw Man - ~4,870,000 07./ One Piece - ~4,570,000 08./...
I am talking sales per volume, you have to remember than both kaiju and spy x family have less volumes, also spy x family also have bigger sales in 2020
anyway my point stands even with csm because it exploded in sales after it was finished, unlike kaiju and sxf that did good numbers from the start

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It still is by far the best performing new series in mangaplus this year, beating blue box even, sure you think it is trash but I cant believe there is such a big difference in taste between japan and the west

Western manga+ views are a pretty worthless metric for how successful something is. The views get reset periodically so all they really show is relative popularity on this app during a small window of time. Red Hood having more views then Spy X Family which you yourself sited as a reason Jump should change how they do their rankings. That should be evidence enough that western views don't reflect actual sales potential. Going further down Candy Flurry has more views then Witch Watch, so yes, I do think taste can be significantly different.

The truth is Red Hood views are likely inflated because Grimm has a great design and a lot of artist are checking the series out to make fan art and lewds. This isn't the first time a straight to dumpster flop has had an odd following in the fan art community that had no reflection on actual popularity or sales potential of a series.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I am talking sales per volume, you have to remember than both kaiju and spy x family have less volumes, also spy x family also have bigger sales in 2020
anyway my point stands even with csm because it exploded in sales after it was finished, unlike kaiju and sxf that did good numbers from the start
With those numbers presented I'd attribute it more to the digital planform allowing these series to be more available to everyone that helped their success more than a lack of ranking system.

Granted I do approve of the healthier work schedule it offers.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
With those numbers presented I'd attribute it more to the digital planform allowing these series to be more available to everyone that helped their success more than a lack of ranking system.

Granted I do approve of the healthier work schedule it offers.
Talking about csm i think your later point is exactly why Fujimoto is moving back to jump+

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san?
Had a super-appealing female lead that drove fan artists crazy?
Cancelled in 24 chapters.
That is Red Hood's fate.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Is Red Hood even gonna make it to 20 chapters?

Feels like this training arc could end and then the main characters could walk into the sunset tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of potential cancellations, here's the TOC.

E_Sd7b4VEAAlgAI
Oof at Undead Unluck.
Seems our two rookies are deader than dead.
Think PeePee will be good? We shall see on Friday

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Despite having nice art, Neru has been pretty bland so I'm not surprised its also dead

What's PPPPPP about? Do we know?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Red Hood had such an interesting and cool premise. Why it decided to basically just go through the generic shounen motions is a mystery to me.

Though I would wait for the first volume sales before calling it a "dumpster flop". Maybe they are trying to push it by making fans feel threatened.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Diamond in the Rough was a WSJ title :/ Seems pretty promises and hooked me more than most new series.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I still like Red Hood. Definitely not as cool as it's first couple chapters made it seem like it'd be, but the world building is interesting, the art is solid, and I'm liking that the protag is more of a thinker/strategist.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I thought everyone and their mom were praising Red Hood. What happened?
Very slow start, took 5 chapters to do what should have probably been 1-2. Doesn't sound like much but that's still over a month of a new series arguably spinning its wheels.

The quality is still fine, it just sunk through the rankings and now people are worried about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought everyone and their mom were praising Red Hood. What happened?

The first few chapters were poorly paced. In Jump, that is not a good way to start your series.
Most of the praise is coming from English speaking communities and *sighs* coomers.
I am aware that the manga artist said he got a lot of fan mail, and I am aware that Boichi himself praised the artwork. But the manga has consistently been in the bottom two since Chapter 9. Likely the result of the poorly paced beginning.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first few chapters were poorly paced. In Jump, that is not a good way to start your series.
Most of the praise is coming from English speaking communities and *sighs* coomers.
I am aware that the manga artist said he got a lot of fan mail, and I am aware that Boichi himself praised the artwork. But the manga has consistently been in the bottom two since Chapter 9. Likely the result of the poorly paced beginning.
2 times isnt consistently

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Fire Force 281

Guys, guys, guys. What the fuck. You guys could not even comprehend what the hell is going on in this manga right now. This is post-modern art. This is such a leap into absolute insanity that I'm shocked even by Okubo standards. This is the final work of an experienced manga author and he's going fucking insane because he just doesn't have to give a crap anymore. Like where to even begin. I literally think the manga itself is gonna collapse in on itself or some shit (which it already pretty much did when a flashback was presented using a real person and real locations in it). Fire Force was about fighting cool people with fire, and to an extent it still is, but it has become this bizarre deconstruction of manga as an artform and narrative tool. I'm gonna tag this spoiler because it's wild. I highly suggest fans catch up just to see this shit show go down. I hesitate to call it genuinely good because it's so weird

So after Arthur's insane space battle fueled by imagination we're now seeing Tamaki fight the doppelganger of Assault (doppelgangers are beings formed by the collective unconscious view of someone born from adolla, which is like, the world of imagination or some shit). She's Tamaki so obviously she's losing her clothes and stuff. During the part of this chapter, a mom freaks out and says she's a disgrace to the force and that there are kids around.

Here's the crazy part. Her kid, someone we've never seen before, is suddenly possessed by some being of adolla (maybe) and starts talking about he has been upgraded to side character because the chief of the force gave him a name thus upgrading his part in the story. He tells the mom off, which is clearly Okubo telling the critics of the fanservice off, and the mom literally fucking disappears. Like actually disappears and her kid says it's because her part in the story is over.

The implications of this go further once we consider how lucky leecher, the curse on Tamaki forcing her to lose her clothes, is now supernatural and likely tied to adolla. Long story sort, skipping over a bunch of adolla lore, Tamaki loses her clothes for fanservice because it's an expected outcome for the female characters in shonen manga as a trope. Like, since the trope exists and is a commonplace thing in shonen it has manifested as a curse on Tamaki

Like, I love Okubo's work but his editor must be asleep at his desk or some shit. And honestly, he can stay sleeping im on this crazy train till the final station.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
That was the best part, albeit unwise...

Well, everything except the big bads went about destroying the village, that was kind of dumb
I didn't mind the methodical pace but that's something you do at your own peril in a weekly magazine where most stuff moves along at a good clip, especially at the very start of a series before people are deeply invested.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I'm not even reading Fire Force. Dropped it years ago because of the way one character was treated. But Jesus Christ is that most recent chapter shit.

Like wtf is this. I'm still perplexed at how it got to this point.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Red Hood characters have no chemistry whatsoever and the world wasn't interesting enough to make up for lack of character compatibility.

Some nice character and monster designs but that's it. The author clearly has talent, so they can try again with something different. Or maybe they can turn it around, I dunno.

I had the same opinion regarding Sakamoto Days, which is why I dropped it around 30 chapters in. Good concept, middling to poor character chemistry, uninteresting world.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Red Hood characters have no chemistry whatsoever and the world wasn't interesting enough to make up for lack of character compatibility.

Some nice character and monster designs but that's it. The author clearly has talent, so they can try again with something different. Or maybe they can turn it around, I dunno.

I had the same opinion regarding Sakamoto Days, which is why I dropped it around 30 chapters in. Good concept, middling to poor character chemistry, uninteresting world.

Red Hood was one of those things where I assumed there would be some sort of time skip, with the apprentice becoming a sort of master after the prolog, and then going on a journey with the master and fighting off Grimm monsters. Instead, there's just a typical and boring shonen training arc that was just kind of tossed in.

Sakamoto Days has been one of my recent favorites, and been enjoying the antics. In the past few chapters since you dropped it, they've actually expanded the world and introduced some pretty creepy villains, keeping up with the series fine line of dark comedy, and violence. So it is going into a good direction of plot.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i guess the fire force mangaka has lost it. at the moment it seems like the worst champions of 'i love to see ass and tits' have taken up his cause but I dunno where he actually falls on it.

i can't believe the person who created maka, probably one of the few shonen female protagonists i think is treated relatively well throughout, would do this

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
i guess the fire force mangaka has lost it. at the moment it seems like the worst champions of 'i love to see ass and tits' have taken up his cause but I dunno where he actually falls on it.

i can't believe the person who created maka, probably one of the few shonen female protagonists i think is treated relatively well throughout, would do this
I never made it through the first season of fire force (anime) because of Tamaki. I was so excited for Fire Force as well (which should be obvious because of my avatar)

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

I've only seen it out of context but it looks like the dude straight up strawmanned people criticizing him for his sexism like something you would see in a Stonetoss comic.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Is this about a latest chapter ? I'm curious now lol, I though he was doing some 4th wall breaking and general endgame insanity, not anything related to this.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Did you erase the rest of Soul Eater from your memory?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Is this about a latest chapter ? I'm curious now lol, I though he was doing some 4th wall breaking and general endgame insanity, not anything related to this.
Read my post above if you want some context. The fan service and the fourth wall breaks are interconnected in a bizarre way

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly I can of respect the mangaka of Fire Force having the gall to try and justify his reason for lewdness as some kinda significant lore of the world. Fire Force went off the rails awhile ago you might as well just go fully carny with it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I wish Diamond in the Rough was a WSJ title :/ Seems pretty promises and hooked me more than most new series.
Read the two chapters out in English.

Yeah, it's pretty good. A little too tropey at times, but the art is clean and the main two are great. Speaking of WSJ, I immediately thought of Metallica Metalluca.

myanimelist.net

Metallica Metalluca

In a world where rare metals drive the economy, "Minea", the people who seek out these metals at the risk of their own life, are highly respected. A strange boy called Ruka has wandered destructively into the failing town of Elza, declaring that his goal is to be a Minea! He ends up under the...

And obviously Land of the Lustrous vibes with all the gems. I'll definitely keep up with it, but a shame the first two volumes didn't sell the best. Maybe if it shows some growth, they'll let it run for a little bit.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Komi-san chap 321

I can't believe all this lewdness on display, and a zoom in on the unprotected handholding as well! Gasp!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Ishida bout to burn out again. Already talking about doing 72 pages a month and now he has to commit to it in WYJ.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what does this mean for Choujin X overseas then? Will it stay on Manga+ and SJ?

Also he could still release it at irregular intervals, just in print as well as online.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Wait, what does this mean for Choujin X overseas then? Will it stay on Manga+ and SJ?

Also he could still release it at irregular intervals, just in print as well as online.
Kubo-san is on M+/Viz while being a WYJ manga. So this shouldn't change anything for the international release of CX.

And regarding its Japanese schedule, we'll have to wait for more info, but it's possible they'll let it have an irregular schedule even if on the mag.