Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2018
Xbox now has shooters, racing and now western RPGs locked down and now they may soon lockdown survival horror. They should also lockdown fighters since they have KI.

But yea I see the Xbox brand being the go to for shooters, racing, western RPGs and survival horror. Not trying to platform war(I was a bigger PlayStation fan this gen) but just saying this coming gen Sony should also consider diversifying their first party genres too.

Oct 26, 2018
No, I'm sorry but this is wrong as a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. Kingdom Hearts is meant to be experienced in release order and Nomura himself (the creator of the series) has said that. It's similar to how you watch Star Wars 4-6 before 1-3, 1-3 spoils the story and takes away the impact of 4-6.
I'm. A huge fan of the series as well and I've always seen chronological is as the best way to experience the story, and I originally played the series in random order. I feel playing the story chronologically gives the series unique world building/lore
(
like in bbs, you learn that sora that sora has ventus' heart within him, which helps explain how he became able to wield a keyblade instead of magically getting it in kh1( plus riku gave in to darkness which made the keyblade choose a worthy heart, which was sora because he already contained the heart of a keyblade user. Or seeing how is a and lea transform as characters. Lea becomes axel and. Doesn't want to be forgotten, then forms a strong bon with xion and roxas to the point he would do anything to keep the friendship even becoming a keyblade wielder to find a way to get them back. Also, I feel like playing the games in release order doesn't help explain characters enough. In kh2 you're basically thrown into playing as roxas without actually knowing who he is, same with namine. They don't really explain where they come from, whereas imo, knowing before by playing Re:CoM and playing /watching 358/2days gives these characters extra depth. Like from those games they creep innsmall amounts of lore that I feel are more beneficial to the game playing them in order.
) but this is subjective and should be played however the gamer sees is the best for them.
Also I watched the star wars movies in chronological order and didn't see a problem.... Im also not a star wars fan and extremely young(23) so stuff like that doesn't matter to me

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

IN.

Can't wait for Microsoft's new spending to reach the Banjo IP eventually. Xbox has been making so many exciting moves for their future lately, they've earned a little more patience from me on Banjo. I'm still running on Smash goodwill a year on.

A Banjo reveal after Psychonauts 2 has its spotlight makes sense anyway - I want that for Psychonauts 2.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that there has to be something Banjo coming from Microsoft given the involvement with Smash. I just don't see how you bring the IP back just for that. It won't be Rare, most likely... but it'll be someone. I'd like to see Double Fine's take on Banjo.

Jul 17, 2018
I agree bring back fucking Banjo Microsoft... While I don't care for Banjo(like Conker more) I know that there are plenty of gamers dying for Banjo to return. And can easily be an Xbox mascot. Jeez....

Also I still don't know what exactly is Everwild about.

Jan 4, 2018
I honestly think that there has to be something Banjo coming from Microsoft given the involvement with Smash. I just don't see how you bring the IP back just for that. It won't be Rare, most likely... but it'll be someone. I'd like to see Double Fine's take on Banjo.

My bet is that it will be Playtonic (in collab with Rare)

screenrant.com

Is Playtonic Games Teasing the Return of Banjo-Kazooie? [UPDATED]

A few cryptic tweets and some new hirings have fans suspecting that Playtonic Games may very well be resurrecting Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox.

They're the logic fit. Maybe they're already working on it.
I'm not sure that Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair worked that well commercially (at least at launch in the UK when looking at its ranking).

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I don't know how you squander collaborating with Nintendo to revitalize the mascot, both in its technical redesign and earned mindshare, by not making a new entry. Banjo in Smash in and of itself is a success worthy of the effort made, presumably, but how could a company like Microsoft not capitalize off of it further?

Cynically, Microsoft got the ideal ad for their dusty mascot in the form of Smash, that probably will retain mindshare for another couple of years before Xbox is back to square one on making Banjo relevant again. I'm hopeful that Microsoft will strike while Banjo in Smash hasn't left people's minds.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My bet is that it will be Playtonic (in collab with Rare)

screenrant.com

Is Playtonic Games Teasing the Return of Banjo-Kazooie? [UPDATED]

A few cryptic tweets and some new hirings have fans suspecting that Playtonic Games may very well be resurrecting Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox.

They're the logic fit. Maybe they're already working on it.
I'm not sure that Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair worked that well commercially (at least at launch in the UK when looking at its ranking).
Maybe it will be them, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. For me I personally believe they should go all out and give it the appropriate budget of a AAA platformer, like a 3d Mario game, or just don't bother at this point. I don't want a half decent Banjo just for the sake of it.

I know it's unlikely but I would personally trust Moon Studios. They have the attention to detail and focus on game feel and controls that I feel are very important to a 3d platformer.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In case any of y'all missed out on the original batch, the rechargeable battery kit for the X/S controller is available for pre-order again ($24.99) on the MS store:

www.microsoft.com

Buy Xbox Rechargeable Battery + USB-C Cable - Microsoft Store

Keep the action going with the Xbox Rechargeable Battery + USB-C Cable. Use the 9’ USB-C cable to charge up before, during, and after gameplay sessions.*

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
So I'm looking at Xbox studios and thinking about how clever I am, stream of consciousness.

I theorized a while ago that Xbox wanted to turn "RPGs" into a series, at minimum annual if not more. I say this because for Game Pass genre fans are an important sub category. If you only play RPGs, and Game Pass gets one every 5 years, what's the point? Just buy them outright and save money. In terms of genres though, Xbox obviously has Western RPG locked, you can expect a minimum of one a year from their internal studios, an absolute minimum. We currently know of what, at least six in various stages of development? Not even including 3rd party games and things like EA Play or any other addons that may come later.

Next most represented genre is shooter. Just FPS we've got three beloved franchises done by decorated teams, add in Gears which, while not a first person shooter is considered a shooter by most. Even just with three teams, if one of those teams wasn't developing a game as big as Halo Infinite that'd probably be close to a game a year. Plus most of those games have multi-player modes that can live on for a long time as kinda service games. EA play also brings series like Battlefield and Battlefront, albeit later than launch.

Horror is another strong point for Xbox. You've got full on horror studio like Tango, you've got teams like Ninja Theory and Compulsion who are working on games with varying degrees of horror, and you've got franchises like Gears, Hellblade, Prey and Dishonored that all of at least some horror elements. Add to that Bloober who is basically a "2nd party" Xbox horror studio.

Action is in a good position to be the next big Xbox genre. Ninja Theory is a standout action studio, Tango has some pedigree in the genre, so does whichever Bethesda studio used to be Battlecry Studio, but they're not really guaranteed to come back to the genre. Playground could very well pull Fable in an action ROG direction, who knows. A Japanese team like CC2 could really boost action, and their relationship with Sega is great here, bringing Yakuza and maybe more stuff later.

They've got some strong "immersive Sim" type studios in Arkane and Compulsion, survival from Undead Labs and S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, racing obviously with Forza, EA Play brings lots of sports games, Rare does its Rare thing and Doublefine does its Doublefine thing.

There's some blindspots for sure. JRPGs is one missing major genre. Maybe Sega and Altus will help with that one day, and now that they have Tango and a strong relationship with Sega, maybe they'll have an easier time building a first party in Japan. There's a few teams that could do some awesome things in that genre with the right support. Platformers are somewhere else they could stand to beef up their offerings. Psychonauts is a great start. Ori too I guess, but it's kind of a different end of the spectrum. Fighting games and party games are also genres. There's also that sort of 3rd person narrative action genre that Sony excels at.

With what we know about, and then wildcards like The Initiative, Roundhouse and Compulsion, the spread is insane. If you like lots of different genres, Xbox has them, if you only like one genre really, there's a good chance Xbox has that genre covered, and you can play around with some indies while you're waiting for the next big genre game. It's so much stuff.

yeah so much genre diversity, its going to be great times ahead for the xbox family.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Xbox now has shooters, racing and now western RPGs locked down and now they may soon lockdown survival horror. They should also lockdown fighters since they have KI.

But yea I see the Xbox brand being the go to for shooters, racing, western RPGs and survival horror. Not trying to platform war(I was a bigger PlayStation fan this gen) but just saying this coming gen Sony should also consider diversifying their first party genres too.
Really the only areas MS are lacking in are family-friendly titles, JRPGs, and arguably 3rd person narrative-centric titles (which they could easily ameliorate). Every other genre they have on lock

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Really the only areas MS are lacking in are family-friendly titles, JRPGs, and arguably 3rd person narrative-centric titles (which they could easily ameliorate). Every other genre they have on lock

I'd kind of like to see an investment in party games as well, but it's the bottom of the list for me because there's so many great games from indies. Ultimate Chicken Horse and Knight Squad both got so much playtime on my Xbox in the before times. I bet Doublefine could make a really special party platformer type game.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Just seen someone on twitter try to push that the Series X has a thermal problem with an error message which i am pretty sure is from the One X error message and man the things people will go through to discredit something that is not out to anyone but review units that Microsoft personally sent to people.

Oct 25, 2017
DF is making a new IP alongside Psychonauts 2 as we speak, and those games take around 3 years to make. They were acquired last year, so this new IP has been in development for only a year.

It has not. It has been in development for more time, alongside Psychonauts 2 and with a smaller team. Just like RAD. It's apparently a multiplayer game, too, not a plataformer/adventure game. They do all kinds of stuff, so no, Double Fine isn't the 'platformer/adventure' studio either. :P

Jul 17, 2018
I know this is random as fuck but I love the dominate "standing tall and strong" look that the Xbox Series X has. The system just looks "powerful." Like a titan or something lol.
twarren_200909_4177_0029.0.jpg

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm so unbeievably excited for xsx. Ugh quick resume seems like a godsend for me. Can't wait to play like six games simultaneously and fulfill my adhd fantasies

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're not going to redo something they've probably been working a year+ on.
Yeah I work in advertising, this shit takes a long time to do, especially cross-branded promotions like this. Once plans are in motion and media commitments are made, it's pretty hard to get out of them without significant fees.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah I work in advertising, this shit takes a long time to do, especially cross-branded promotions like this. Once plans are in motion and media commitments are made, it's pretty hard to get out of them without significant fees.
Yep, this shit has been planned for a long time.

Even with the Halo delay it doesnt even really matter anyway. Master Chief is still the mascot of Xbox.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I have over 1000hrs clocked up on Elder scrolls online on Xbox. My most played game by miles and I'm very happy they are now a first party studio. I'm also very intrigued to see what ZOS are working on next

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure any of these characters could survive an assault from the magical Dishonored assassins (Corvo Attano, Emily Kaldwin, Daud, or Billy Lurk).

Emily in particular would only need to domino Chief/Doomslayer to a Grunt/Imp, and then easily kill the latter to take out Chief/Slayer. And no one would see them coming.

Sorry, I love thinking about crossovers like this hah.
Fable hero vs Corvo is an interesting one they use the same era of weaponry

Status
Not open for further replies.