Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
This is how it is for my husband and I as well. We both have hot takes about the different kinds of games we play. For the Persona series, we've both just said that we are mostly done with the entire IP not just for the way Persona 5 handled Ann in particular, but just because the setting has been the same thing in every game for a long time since 3 (the whole kids in high school, slice-of-life, etc) and we're both just getting burnt out on it.

And we've both come to a unanimous conclusion that neither of us will touch Stellar Blade (he definitely won't) unless it's....free or something and I want to torture myself. He wasn't a big fan of Nier either honestly.

I enjoyed Automata quite a bit, the story as compelling and I enjoyed the characters a lot, while not personally playing into the stupid stuff associated with blowing up 2B's clothes or etc.

And you can purchase trophies with in game currency so you don't "have" to do anything of the sort for achievements. Stupid as it is that they even existed. Sigh.

Circling back to the "Why does this exist?"

Nyandeyanen

Apr 16, 2024
Using DOA as an example is also really interesting because it's part of a trend I keep noticing with DOA and a lot of this in particular, the rewriting of history.

I remember the criticisms of DOA back then as much of it came from DOA's women fans who loved the series but felt like they were being pushed out because of how more and more they were pushing the sexualization and objectification in both the main series and especially their extreme side series. I was one of those women and saw so many women just leave the series because it became clear Team Ninja didn't want them around... And then male fans and influencers started declaring women NEVER played DOA (despite DOA3&4 starting many women's competitive careers), especially when it was believed DOA6 was going to tone down the sexualization (which it didn't). I remember people like MatPat pulling that shit and just seeing it become more common and common throughout the CFGC fandom.
I feel like I see those kinds of odd revisionist arguments from cis het male gamers weirdly often. Stuff like "no one cared about LGBT issues before [arbitrary year usually after 2000 at least]" or "feminism never came up in gaming before [see previous brackets]." It's a very tellingly self-centered view in my opinion, where just because they didn't engage in that stuff or hang out in places where they might've noticed it means it actually didn't exist at all, as if they are the all-seeing center of all video game discourse.

FamilyTeam

Mar 19, 2024
Brazil
Since DNF was mentioned, I'll mention I do overall really like her DNF Duel design. Originally she looked like this:
FemaleFighterOldDesign.jpg

Which is... certainly a design, especially with the assless pants she has for no reason. You can argue the pants are a little silly with KOF's Ángel who has at least some thematic reason for them, so they look even sillier on her. DNF Duel's design looks like this instead:
latest

I think this is a really cool and pleasant design. To be honest, getting rid of the top for a shirt is slightly unnecessary, but putting leggings on her is a great way of at least preserving the silhouette of the original silly pants while doing a much better job at making her look like a proper sporty martial artist.
It really is a shame that the best Striker I found for MUGEN is from way before the redesign. This is still an excellently made character, but a version with the updated design would be super cool
image.png

I feel like I see those kinds of odd revisionist arguments from cis het male gamers weirdly often. Stuff like "no one cared about LGBT issues before [arbitrary year usually after 2000 at least]" or "feminism never came up in gaming before [see previous brackets]." It's a very tellingly self-centered view in my opinion, where just because they didn't engage in that stuff or hang out in places where they might've noticed it means it actually didn't exist at all, as if they are the all-seeing center of all video game discourse.
Revisionist history is, for some reason, very popular and common in gaming. I often get the feeling that this is a medium that doesn't take its history seriously at all.

coffeecat

Jul 14, 2018
I read tons of academic literature talking about depiction of women in games when I was doing my degree, there was plenty of study and critique happening there going back to the early 2000s if not earlier. However, mainstream games journalism barely even touched issues around women in games until probably the late 2000s, and even today there is constant whining and complaining from a certain part of the audience any time it's brought up, so it's not that surprising someone would assume it wasn't being discussed back then if they weren't actively looking for it. Obviously that is a misguided view afforded by privilege, but honestly it doesn't speak super well of Jeff if that's what he thinks.

We're seeing the same with LGBTQ games coverage now, and It's playing out in a very similar and predictable way.

Last edited:

Nyandeyanen

Apr 16, 2024
I read tons of academic literature talking about depiction of women in games when I was doing my degree, there was plenty of study and critique happening there going back to the early 2000s if not earlier. However, mainstream games journalism barely even touched issues around women in games until probably the late 2000s, and even today there is constant whining and complaining from a certain part of the audience any time it's brought up, so it's not that surprising someone would assume it wasn't being discussed back then if they weren't actively looking for it. Obviously that is a misguided view afforded by privilege, but honestly it doesn't speak super well of Jeff if that's what he thinks.

We're seeing the same with LGBTQ games coverage now, and It's playing out in a very similar and predictable way.
The thing that annoys me about that is that sure, it's a pretty normal first thought to reference your own experience on the matter, but surely it's also a very normal followup thought to question if your own experience is really the be-all-end-all on the subject? Surely these people have the minimum of self-awareness to know that there are more viewpoints to explore before giving a definite statement like that? Like, maybe that's more telling of me that I tend to question my own "expertise" (or rather lack of), but it's always wild to me to see people just fire off takes like that with full confidence.

And yeah, I'd expect better of Jeff. Giant Bomb in general has never been big on social issues in video games from what I've seen, but I'd assume he knows better than to bring up such weak arguments on the issue.

coffeecat

Jul 14, 2018
The thing that annoys me about that is that sure, it's a pretty normal first thought to reference your own experience on the matter, but surely it's also a very normal followup thought to question if your own experience is really the be-all-end-all on the subject? Surely these people have the minimum of self-awareness to know that there are more viewpoints to explore before giving a definite statement like that? Like, maybe that's more telling of me that I tend to question my own "expertise" (or rather lack of), but it's always wild to me to see people just fire off takes like that with full confidence.

And yeah, I'd expect better of Jeff. Giant Bomb in general has never been big on social issues in video games from what I've seen, but I'd assume he knows better than to bring up such weak arguments on the issue.
To their credit, the Giant Bomb folks basically came out unequivocally against GamerGate and similar "movements", they've been pretty openly in favour of better treatment of employees in the games industry, including voicing support for unionization, and when women were coming out with their #MeToo style stories about Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Insomniac etc. they were always firmly in support of those affected and called out leadership for not doing enough. When mistakes were made in the past, GB was really good about owning up to them and apologizing to the community.

But that's all pretty... normal, right? Nothing about that is controversial or progressive, it's just... that's the bar for being a decent person. It's where most people would ideally be.

The complexities around issues like depictions of minorities in media make them especially challenging topics. There are rarely absolute truths or universally held perspectives. One person's representation can be offensive to another, and it can be a real trap to fall into to speak authoritatively on things, even if you are already well versed or have personal experience. The best thing you can do as an individual is always try to learn more by talking to others and hearing them share their insights and stories.

Now that Jeff is on his own... I don't know if he is getting as much exposure to outside voices. It might be a bit telling that (to my knowledge) he hasn't had a single woman on his show since going solo, he's mostly just surrounded himself with his old industry buddies. But if he wants to dip into discussion about these kinds of issues, I think he would be better served by consulting with other people who are more involved and understanding of them.

Anyway, this is maybe getting a bit off topic now, I just wanted to say I agree that a lot of the gaming community and games journalism has blind spots. Often it's not really because people are bad, and it's not like I think Jeff should be canceled or anything. But I hope he hears people's critique around this and can do better in the future.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that tactic is part of their playbook.

Just how it's constantly revisioned that queer rights were gained through sitting around and looking pretty. Or that the first brick at stonewall wasn't thrown by a trans woman.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019

I honestly haven't been contributing too much either so don't feel as bad. There's only so much I can say about Stellar Blade before I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum and I've either been focused on work or playing games, lol.

I've liked reading both your posts personally! And tbh on my end, in a situation as frustrating as this one, I like seeing other topics to balance out seeing instances of something pretty dejecting. It actually motivated me to look into other upcoming games to look forward to beyond this period and backlogged titles to try to see what would be a nice palate cleanser.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I've liked reading both your posts personally! And tbh on my end, in a situation as frustrating as this one, I like seeing other topics to balance out seeing instances of something pretty dejecting. It actually motivated me to look into other upcoming games to look forward to beyond this period and backlogged titles to try to see what would be a nice palate cleanser.

Thank you! I enjoy interacting with everyone here as well! Everyone has been super friendly and the different viewpoints have been refreshing, especially since this is a place where topics can be discussed that otherwise would get swept under the rug usually in other internet circles.

And I can 100% agree, there are always going to be games that'll make you feel pretty disgusted with the industry at large. That'll likely never change. Sometimes you just need to re-focus on something better.

Apart from Stellar Blade's clown circus, I still have Dawntrail to look forward to and Solution 9/Arcadia. The story of Dawntrail could be absolute garbage and not hold even a candle to Shadowbringers & Endwalker, but by god will I enjoy my raid inside an RGB GPU for sure.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I think it is normal to make statements about a subject based on the speaker/writer's own experience and knowledge, and fail to consider other perspectives. That is a problem, but in practice, the main problem comes from how the person reacts when other perspectives are brought to the person's attention--which then forms part of their knowledge base for future output.

For example, there is a warning about considering Asian perspectives right above the reply box in this thread because in the past, there were pretty casual stereotypes about Asia and using Japan to represent all East Asia being bandied about in this topic series. But in the Stellar Blade discussion in this thread, there is little to none of the stereotypes like in past discussions, with the criticism primarily focused on Shift Up the studio and its founder. Which shows growth from having other perspectives pointed out.

There is still improvements that are possible (as always). For example, in a few pages back, werezompire pointed out a character from Sisyphus: the Myth (a K-drama) was an example of a strong Korean woman that is better than Eve. Jimnymebob Nacery named Rainbow Six Korean characters in response. Eve and the Sisyphus character are the result of South Korean creative control and processes. R6 is the result of American creative control and processes. They are not equivalent substitutes, and the 2 Rainbow 6 responses primarily reflect the perspective of the Western consumer.

Is it a problem that Gertmann's video (and posts with content similar to what he said) is propagating revisionist history about feminist criticism of video games? Yes. But I think the bigger indictment is the dismissive response when he almost certainly has been presented with the current criticism against Stellar Blade.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To their credit, the Giant Bomb folks basically came out unequivocally against GamerGate and similar "movements", they've been pretty openly in favour of better treatment of employees in the games industry, including voicing support for unionization, and when women were coming out with their #MeToo style stories about Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Insomniac etc. they were always firmly in support of those affected and called out leadership for not doing enough. When mistakes were made in the past, GB was really good about owning up to them and apologizing to the community.

But that's all pretty... normal, right? Nothing about that is controversial or progressive, it's just... that's the bar for being a decent person. It's where most people would ideally be.

The complexities around issues like depictions of minorities in media make them especially challenging topics. There are rarely absolute truths or universally held perspectives. One person's representation can be offensive to another, and it can be a real trap to fall into to speak authoritatively on things, even if you are already well versed or have personal experience. The best thing you can do as an individual is always try to learn more by talking to others and hearing them share their insights and stories.

Now that Jeff is on his own... I don't know if he is getting as much exposure to outside voices. It might be a bit telling that (to my knowledge) he hasn't had a single woman on his show since going solo, he's mostly just surrounded himself with his old industry buddies. But if he wants to dip into discussion about these kinds of issues, I think he would be better served by consulting with other people who are more involved and understanding of them.

Anyway, this is maybe getting a bit off topic now, I just wanted to say I agree that a lot of the gaming community and games journalism has blind spots. Often it's not really because people are bad, and it's not like I think Jeff should be canceled or anything. But I hope he hears people's critique around this and can do better in the future.

I mean to be fair to jeffs long talk there he does flat out say that the people trying to pass legislation to regulate sexuality are ghouls and that usually the people that are screaming over the "censorship" in stela blade usually the people that vote in the politicians that want to control that shit in real life. Calles them fucking idiots and unserious people. So he is straight up calling out the chuds here. At the start of the pod as well jeff calls the game unplayable garbage. Sounds like the animation gets in the way of the combat.

It might be a bit telling that (to my knowledge) he hasn't had a single woman on his show since going solo, he's mostly just surrounded himself with his old industry buddies.

From what I can recall in 99 episodes of the pod he has had I think 2 or 3 guests, Dave Lang (who was there to talk about his game getting shut down and how the way they run the company they didn't have to do layoffs, so not even 100% a guest as it was more interview) Ben pak, and maybe the person he does his patrion pod with made it into an episode. Then all his like 2-3 hour game streams are I believe all solo. So its more that he doesn't really have guests at all.

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I have nothing to add about SB but I wanted to thank the thread for reminding me that GameFly exists and has a free trial 😔

I might actually be able to afford to play switch games now...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As an observer evidently SB discourse and the grift surrounding it has fizzled out and thank fucking god for that. Literally the most cringe controversy of this generation which has somehow resulted in several dudes doxxing themselves over marginally less digital booba in the most corny game release of 2024.

At least with Nier we had a im14andthisisdeep kind of discourse surrounding Yoko's game having an actual commentary about agency, cooperation, game design, etc. but like, if I never hear about SB again for the remainder of the year that's be great.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
As an observer evidently SB discourse and the grift surrounding it has fizzled out and thank fucking god for that. Literally the most cringe controversy of this generation which has somehow resulted in several dudes doxxing themselves over marginally less digital booba in the most corny game release of 2024.

At least with Nier we had a im14andthisisdeep kind of discourse surrounding Yoko's game having an actual commentary about agency, cooperation, game design, etc. but like, if I never hear about SB again for the remainder of the year that's be great.

That's because largely, I believe, the controversy with Helldivers II is garnering everyone's attention as the new grift more or less. Capital-G gamers always flock from one controversy to the next like firecrackers.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That's because largely, I believe, the controversy with Helldivers II is garnering everyone's attention as the new grift more or less. Capital-G gamers always flock from one controversy to the next like firecrackers.
It's so frustrating cause they're almost definitely the ones that blew it up out of proportion and made it worse

And to think the root cause was from them getting mad that Arrowhead has queer devs and wanting any excuse to pile on them, plus the whole "Sony is censoring SB" crap

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
It's so frustrating cause they're almost definitely the ones that blew it up out of proportion and made it worse

And to think the root cause was from them getting mad that Arrowhead has queer devs and wanting any excuse to pile on them, plus the whole "Sony is censoring SB" crap

It is definitely a shitshow, no doubt about it, that's trickling into other games published by Sony that have nothing to do with the incident on Helldivers II. I had to report bad faith negative review-bombing on Horizon:FW on Steam because the unhinged mob is just going to any Sony game and negatively reviewing it.

Be mad at Sony, they deserve it, but leave other devs and their games alone that has nothing to do with Helldivers II.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

They are gonna start fully going after any queer devs and attempt to terrorize the companies into firing them.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely a shitshow, no doubt about it, that's trickling into other games published by Sony that have nothing to do with the incident on Helldivers II. I had to report bad faith negative review-bombing on Horizon:FW on Steam because the unhinged mob is just going to any Sony game and negatively reviewing it.

Be mad at Sony, they deserve it, but leave other devs and their games alone that has nothing to do with Helldivers II.

They are gonna start fully going after any queer devs and attempt to terrorize the companies into firing them.
Yeah, I'm seeing people explicitly go after Arrowhead devs and the HD2 discord is apparently full of bigotry. It's so exhausting.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine what it'd be like if gamers had nearly as much energy for sexualization and female presentation in games like Stellar Blade as they do for Helldivers 2 requiring a PSN account.

8f6.gif

Yeah yeah appeal to worse problems and all that but still....like....goddammit.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Imagine what it'd be like if gamers had nearly as much energy for sexualization and female presentation in games like Stellar Blade as they do for Helldivers 2 requiring a PSN account.

8f6.gif

Sadly that will never happen, for these people sexualization is something they feel they are entitled to, so whenever a female character is revealed and is not sexy they bitch about "woke" or some shit

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Sorry for double post, but seeing chuds think that just because Sony backtracked from the Helldivers 2 fuckup means their dumb petition for Stellar Blade will work are straight up delusional, legit they think that both situations are remotely similar

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

8f6.gif

God I wish. They can't even handle "you're not bad for liking these games, but please think critically about how this treats women and minorities" without going ballistic.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Sorry for double post, but seeing chuds think that just because Sony backtracked from the Helldivers 2 fuckup means their dumb petition for Stellar Blade will work are straight up delusional, legit they think that both situations are remotely similar

They really are. The censorship was made by the developer, not Sony at large, Sony doesn't need to walk anything back. Morons.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020

8f6.gif

Add it to our bingo card, "Gamers™ Actually Help Something They'd Be Against Unknowingly"

Also, sorry for the double-post. I should have just added that to my other post like an idiot.

Last edited:

coffeecat

Jul 14, 2018
This is maybe not the typical complaint about character design, but I've been playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on my Switch, and just wrapped up the main set of levels.

I rolled my eyes so hard when the very first thing that happens in the story is Toadette gets whisked away by the big bad, and Captain Toad has to set off to rescue her. They had an opportunity to do something new, but decided to literally just do the damsel in distress thing. (Also, of course Toad is a Captain of... something, and Toadette is just there? 🤷🏻‍♀️)

Once you get to the second episode, I was happy to see that they flipped it so you're playing as Toadette trying to rescue the Captain. When episode 3 rolls around, you trade off playing Captain Toad and Toadette every few levels, which I think is also a good change-up and puts them mostly on equal footing. I would have preferred a character selection up front, but okay, that's not quite as bad.

Until the final boss, anyway, where Toadette once again gets captured and you need to play as Captain Toad and rescue her in a recycled boss fight. Sigh. They could have done a final level that had you switching between them both to take out the boss, tying into that character-swapping idea and making clear they're both equal partners. But in that moment the game is saying "no really though, you know who the real hero of this story is."

Anyway, I realize this is an old game, but it's just frustrating how so much sexism is baked into the fundamentals of Nintendo's design, where even a game with almost no story whatsoever still somehow finds a way to remind you that women are less important. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This is maybe not the typical complaint character design, but I've been playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on my Switch, and just wrapped up the main set of levels.

I rolled my eyes so hard when the very first thing that happens in the story is Toadette gets whisked away by the big bad, and Captain Toad has to set off to rescue her. They had an opportunity to do something new, but decided to literally just do the damsel in distress thing. (Also, of course Toad is a Captain of... something, and Toadette is just there? 🤷🏻‍♀️)

Once you get to the second episode, I was happy to see that they flipped it so you're playing as Toadette trying to rescue the Captain. When episode 3 rolls around, you trade off playing Captain Toad and Toadette every few levels, which I think is also a good change-up and puts them mostly on equal footing. I would have preferred a character selection up front, but okay, that's not quite as bad.

Until the final boss, anyway, where Toadette once again gets captured and you need to play as Captain Toad and rescue her in a recycled boss fight. Sigh. They could have done a final level that had you switching between them both to take out the boss, tying into that character-swapping idea and making clear they're both equal partners. But in that moment the game is saying "no really though, you know who the real hero of this story is."

Anyway, I realize this is an old game, but it's just frustrating how so much sexism is baked into the fundamentals of Nintendo's design, where even a game with almost no story whatsoever still somehow finds a way to remind you that women are less important. 🤦🏻‍♀️
At least for the new Mario game they did the correct thing by letting you play as Peach, Daisy and Toadette with no "Bowser kidnapping a female character" plot this time around

Hope that for the next 3D Mario they also drop it

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is maybe not the typical complaint character design, but I've been playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on my Switch, and just wrapped up the main set of levels.

At least for the new Mario game they did the correct thing by letting you play as Peach, Daisy and Toadette with no "Bowser kidnapping a female character" plot this time around

Yeah, Nintendo used to be pretty bad about this (not that they don't still find new ways to damsel characters). It wasn't until a decade ago that they started improving. In the last decade (or specifically since the NSMB sub-series ended in 2012) and ignoring ports/remakes, the games where Peach gets kidnapped are:
  • Mario & Luigi Dream Team
  • Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • Paper Mario Origami King
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (though everyone gets kidnapped there)
  • Super Mario Odyssey
So yeah, it's the mostly the RPG sub-series that haven't abandoned the tired trope. And spoiler alert: that's not changing anytime soon...

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Hopefully the next *new* RPG drops that trope.

Princess Peach showtime rules, by the way. A bit short and some really weird performance issues (mostly during cutscenes and loading), but it's basically a Kirby game in terms of structure and abilities.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Peach being captured is the worst aspect of TTYD. Her relationship with TEC is funny, but not worth her being stuck there the whole game and being put in multiple pervy situations.

coffeecat

Jul 14, 2018

Yup, I was happy that in Wonder that was not the case, and the game was still amazing and possibly the best 2D Mario game since the SNES. Which should be proof enough that absolutely nothing about Nintendo games being good has to do with them perpetuating all the same old stereotypes.

Maybe they'll do it with Zelda one day too. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, I was happy that in Wonder that was not the case, and the game was still amazing and possibly the best 2D Mario game since the SNES. Which should be proof enough that absolutely nothing about Nintendo games being good has to do with them perpetuating all the same old stereotypes.

Maybe they'll do it with Zelda one day too. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Just hope that continues with the next mainline 3D Mario.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I assumed the bunny and nude ones were the worst outfits. What's the tactical use of all the holes in that red and white one?

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
For some reason I assumed the bunny and nude ones were the worst outfits. What's the tactical use of all the holes in that red and white one?

"Bondage gear" is what the outfit is called, I believe. Clearly, we're supposed to run bungie cords through Eve and use her bondage suit for rock climbing up ruined buildings.