• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
I've discussed with many others why lesbian rep outnumbers gay ones and the conclusion most have drawn is that gay rep scares away the straight guys.

And publishers always want the straight guy money.
If I recall correctly, I believe there was a study that found that straight women are more willing to engage with media focusing on lesbian representation then straight men are willing to engage with gay representation.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Funnily enough their most recent report shows that lesbians (for the first time) are more common than gay men.

The one thing the study doesn't go into, as far as I can tell, is how many lesbian or gay *relationships* there are. I've no doubt that gay men were more common up to this point since a) men are going to be more represented period and b) gay men have been punchlines for decades. I've never really questioned that sort of representation. The big question is, for queer relationships in media, what's the percentage of wlw vs mlm? It's also important to look at how queer relationships are portrayed, IMO.

Umbrella Academy spoilers

Anyway, that's my piece on it.

TL;DR: Lesbians finally majority over gay men, relationship balance unknown, I still think wlw is the majority over mlm, rep is good when done well regardless of who it features
Thank you for bringing the statistics you found. Can you spoiler-tag the stuff about Umbrella Academy, though?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of Malenia fan art I'm seeing on twitter which is just "what would she look like in a hentai" is so fucking lame.

Did you see this one? Some guy in the replies responded to someone complaining about how the artist sexualized her saying "she literally looks like this in the game"

FPG8N4aX0AUygPI

It's a shame because it's otherwise a beautiful piece of art.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ranni is for sure getting the same treatment, I guess my twitter algorithm is just Malenia-focused for whatever reason.

It's sad people can't see and understand the difference between someone being drawn nude and someone drawn to be sexualised.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, I believe there was a study that found that straight women are more willing to engage with media focusing on lesbian representation then straight men are willing to engage with gay representation.
Absolutely. Toxic masculinity is so instilled into modern culture that the depiction of gay relationships makes most men uncomfortable and even violent.

I wish the men who whine about men's issues actually mentioned this one but it's always the straight men's issues they mean.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018

I found out recently that the latest example of a mlm relationship in a AAA game is in . . . the DLC for Borderlands 3. A type of game that I would assume has a dudebro audience due to having a certain brand of humour even though it has had queer characters in it. Anecdotally, it seems to have landed well and isn't played as a joke.

gaymingmag.com

It took a gay wedding for Borderlands to take anything seriously - Gayming Magazine

Borderlands 3's Guns, Love, and Tentacles, invites players to the wedding of Sir Alastair Hammerlock, and Wainwright Jakobs. Who's up for romance and guns?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I found out recently that the latest example of a mlm relationship in a AAA game is in . . . the DLC for Borderlands 3. A type of game that I would assume has a dudebro audience due to having a certain brand of humour even though it has had queer characters in it. Anecdotally, it seems to have landed well and isn't played as a joke.
reading the steam reviews for it are funny because the negative reviews are just people mad it's a gay men wedding. Article title is weird though because the series has taken things seriously since borderlands 2 dlc

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
The Borderlands series has always been progressive, at least since BL2. Pretty sure Maya was established to be asexual and I think it was indicated that Axton was bi. The meme/Reddit humor tends to come off pretty strong though.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Any statement of lesbians being more represented needs a bunch of astrisks.

100% this. Especially in gaming with the number of posters here who always try to pretend there is some epidemic of over representation of lesbians in mainstream gaming, but also can't name a single canonically lesbian main character outside of Ellie.

They are stated to be a couple in the base game too, which is nice, they were canonically a gay couple before the dlc about their wedding came out.
Borderlands is in a weird zone where its a lot of cheesy toilet humor, and there's definitely some glaring issues with some types of representation, for example I can't imagine how a little person would feel about there being an entire enemy type being called "psycho midgets".

But on many other issues the games are surprisingly progressive, such as about queer people.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
100% this. Especially in gaming with the number of posters here who always try to pretend there is some epidemic of over representation of lesbians in mainstream gaming, but also can't name a single canonically lesbian main character outside of Ellie.
Yeah I've had to defend this position in the straight women romance in games threads, who also in the triple A space have next to nothing, but yeah sapphic rep over-abundance fallacy is brought up often but when counting only AAA non-choice games it really isn't. Even Ellie has Abby in the same game, but the point is shouldn't be a fight between all these minority reps for scraps.

Wonderlands has a trans-masculine character I think which is awesome to see.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf, I think that's pretty tame. She's not like Rouge the Bat where she has visible breasts/cleavage(as far as I can tell from the screenshot) but rather a tuft of hair and maybe a hint of voluptuousness but she doesn't have any suggestive or sexualized animations and Kirby's a very cartoonish series that's far away from your typical anime proportions.
It is one of the more humanoid Kirby designs though, it just stands out more to me because its kirby.

Jul 17, 2021
Tbf, I think that's pretty tame. She's not like Rouge the Bat where she has visible breasts/cleavage(as far as I can tell from the screenshot) but rather a tuft of hair and maybe a hint of voluptuousness but she doesn't have any suggestive or sexualized animations and Kirby's a very cartoonish series that's far away from your typical anime proportions.

Clawroline is like the odd one out I'd say. Most of the female characters in Kirby aren't humanoid like that in the first place.

0gwhZUG.jpg

Last edited:

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I much prefer Honkai Star Rail's character designs to Genshin Impact's and Honkai Impact 3rd's. Then again, I thought something similar when Genshin was not yet released when comparing its character designs to Honkai 3's. The post-release character designs kept getting worse with body suits, sheer fabric, and weird cutouts. It makes me wonder if the initial approval process is more stringent than for post-release content (Honkai 3 and Genshin are both rated 12+ in China).

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Say hi to Shez, the Hero of Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes.
feshez2.jpg
feshez.jpg

I realize this is the "Women Representation in Gaming" thread and I should comment on her exposed thigh being polished to a reflective sheen in order to blind her enemies, but it's the one kneepad on both male and female characters that's getting me.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I like that the sword is being used to cover up the fact that her top half isn't attached to her bottom half lol

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
From the latest XC3 trailer
o80ca4d.png

New mechanic where pairs of the party members fuse into mecha. Each pair is comprised of one man and one woman and it seems like one person is the dominant one. Guess which one has a woman as the dominant person?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 3's chararacter designs already just looked super generic and bland from minute one, so of course they had to go over the top with sexualization somewhere.

I did not have my money on "glowing mecha-uterus", though.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The right one has a giant triangular prism penis, the middle a medium one, and the left has none at all! Are these the three genders?!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The right one has a giant triangular prism penis, the middle a medium one, and the left has none at all! Are these the three genders?!

Ah the good ol' Zone of the Ender's COCK-pit approach.

Weirdly I can deal with them both having weird sexual robot anatomy (robo-tits and cock-pit) (it's not an excuse, I just...sigh/shrug at it these days). lol But at this point I hate that the girl-bot doubles down with silly girl-pose though. I'm sad there's still so little imagination for girl poses in some games (or...like...just standing...normally 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ ).

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Me, when the XB3 reveal happened: "Wow, that looks so much better and less trashy. Cautiously optimistic!"

Me, now: MartinFreemanWhatTheFuckIsThat.gif

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
o80ca4d.png

New mechanic where pairs of the party members fuse into mecha. Each pair is comprised of one man and one woman and it seems like one person is the dominant one. Guess which one has a woman as the dominant person?
Wow they really went all out. Inward-bent knees, the princess peach arm pose, nuclear reactor vagina, robo clevage.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
o80ca4d.png

Not to shy away from the silly woman mech with boobs, but is this a trend when males are wearing heels in Japanese developed games? I don't care, just something I've been noticing.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Are they even robots? Like they are some sort of combined form thing but don't know about mech. This isn't a justification because I still hate whatever it is with that one design, just being pedantic.

I wanted them to do better, but knew they had no reason to. People, even here, not this thread, resetera in general take every opertunity to point out how much better x2 sold and how much better the characters in it are so why would they back away from success? I just wish they would.

Xenoblade 3's chararacter designs already just looked super generic and bland from minute one

I really liked the main character's other than the super small "strong" girl. Main guy looks really good and reminds me of some of the best parts of Fei/previous characters.